z

Young Writers Society

Journey Into the North Discussion Thread (Old 4T thread)

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:16 pm
Firestarter says...

Okay ...

*envisages Henry shooting Alden in the head at the mere mention of apprentice*
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:44 pm
sabradan says...

Firestarter wrote:Okay ...

*envisages Henry shooting Alden in the head at the mere mention of apprentice*

Agreed. BTW check the thread. I posted a big one for Valin.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

Random avatar

Reviews: 82
Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:53 pm
misspriss says...

Hmm...you guys, I was wondering if I could tweak a few things in Carmenia's profile that haven't really been brought into the picture yet.

First off, her power. I decided I don't like it. I think wood warping is a little lame. She can't do much with it. Would anyone mind if I changed it? She won't be all powerful or anything like that...

Anyone have suggestions?

147 Reviews

Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:00 pm
sabradan says...

I wouldn't mind. Infact, I thought from the beginning that wood warping=lame. But I figured if you wanted it, you could probably make it cool.

As far as suggestions:

She is an Elf, and elves have the innate ability to manipulate simple, elemental (i.e. arcane) magics with little or no formal training. Valin specializes in Fire. Perhaps elemental magics of water, or wind or something? Or, you could probably do something else, too, what I'm not sure. Tell me what you're thinking about and I'd be glad to help.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:21 pm
Ego says...

unless its an innate ability, like elven elemental magic, or divine in nature, like she's a priest of so and so, and prays for spells...arcane magic just doesnt exist right now.

Um...I really don't know. Maybe we can work something out in the graveyard for her to come into possession of a magical item or something.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

Random avatar

Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:41 pm
misspriss says...

Okay, because I'm really lame, I'm going to ask what she could do with "innate ability" with wind or wind. What can she do with that?

EDIT:

I have another question too. Does Carmenia know Elves destroyed Sedgely? And does she know that they are going against an Elven army? I thought maybe an Elf, someone she had known, possibly a relative could sneak to the edge of the camp where she was doing something (I'll make up something) and asked her to steal information...

It was just a thought. Anyway, tell me if you like the idea, or if you don't. I'm parcial to anything, really.

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:49 am
Fand says...

Personally, I like it. :D
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

147 Reviews

Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:10 am
sabradan says...

Do it. I like a little internal conflict.

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

Random avatar

Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:16 am
misspriss says...

Okay...I shall. Yay! Anyhoo, if anyone opposes, I'll delete it. Oh, and if you could still answer my questions...that would be nice.

EDIT:

I might wait before I post, because if an Elf would try and sneak up to an enemies camp, I would think that they would do it under the cover of darkness, and people may want to post something before I make it night.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:19 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Using wind can be quite powerful, I've had my gryphons use it in the past. It isn't very useful on a primitive state (a spark from fire is more useful than a slight breeze) but when you get more powerful, then you would have the ability to levitate, change the weather patterns, and even to turn anything into a projectile (by using the wind to hurl it at someone at high velocity.)

This might still be outside the realm of the possible. She might be able to use it to project her voice, etc.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

Random avatar

Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:41 am
misspriss says...

Hmmm...what about water?

147 Reviews

Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:42 am
sabradan says...

Its not *HIS* anything.

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

Random avatar

Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:52 am
misspriss says...

Umm...but didn't he create it? I would have thought that gives him a more elevated position in the decisions around here...

But I'm working on the post now...I'll probably been done in about ten minutes if all goes well.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:10 am
Griffinkeeper says...

misspriss wrote:Umm...but didn't he create it? I would have thought that gives him a more elevated position in the decisions around here...

But I'm working on the post now...I'll probably been done in about ten minutes if all goes well.

Nope. I have maintain certain rights, (editing the rules if a situation requires it) but that is the limit of my creators rights. As far as writing the storybook is concerned, I have about as much decision making right as the next person.

Feel free to use air if you wish, it's an idea, the storybook is full of them. All that happened was one day I thought "just what can one do with air magic anyways..." and that's what I came up with.

Personally, I think it would make more sense to have the elves use more earth bound magic. Speaking to trees may not sound that powerful, but tell that to Isengard.

They could have powerful preservation magic. They'd be able to store things away for a long time without fear of them becoming rotten. So, they might have spells to keep their coffee fresh, their clothing from tearing, their swords from dulling, preserving things the way they are. The ultimate expression of this would be their immortality: talk about self preservation!

There are more interesting abilities out there than the traditional "water, wind, fire, earth" deal.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

Random avatar

Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:31 am
misspriss says...

'Kay thanks. I posted! *phew* Very long...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
— Albert Einstein