Young Writers Society

Apollo's Band and Artemis's Hunters*started*

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Fri May 27, 2011 10:30 pm
Apple says...

I'm in class so this going to be short.

Denice Greek:

The target stood approxiametly fifteen metres away from. A doe. Her eyes sparkled as she lapped at the water that hadn't been frozen over by the up coming winter. Notching an arrow, I closed my right eye and cocked my head to ignore the trees and bushes standing in my path. I had never liked to kill female creatures, they were much more reliant the anything male although I was so hungry I didn't care what I shot.

"For Artemis," I whispered softly, letting the arrow fly.

It screeched as it soared through the sky making the doe look up. Terror passed through its eyes before they turned glassy, my speckled arrow sticking right through its neck.

Walking up to my prey, I bent over and said a few words before gently pulling the arrow from its neck. It didn't deserve to spend its last seconds with the sight of a thin, wooden shaft protuding from under its chin. Even though I had killed it out of cold blood, I had done a prettty good job. The peircing was small which meant its fur hadn't been completely ruined. Alright, I'm getting a new doona cover today!

I bit my tongue, trying not to let the smile appear on my lips. I had to be careful; no Artemis Hunter could be that happy about killing a fellow female creature. But you couldn't blame me, it was my first kill that was so clean, and compared to the others it's my first and best kill!

"Denice!" a voice screeched from behind me.

My shoulders slumped. "Yes?"

"Where the hell are you? I thought I told you to seperate the pelt! If I have to tell you one more ti--"

Peice of crud! How dare she talked to me like that. Why I was going to give her a peice of my mind! I'm Denice Greek for pete's sake...why I'm going to-! Screams burst from our camp making the birds sitting in the trees lunge into sky to escape the possible threat below.

"Denice hurry, it's Artemis!"

Can be anyone.
I spy!

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon May 30, 2011 1:20 am
Sunshine says...

This is going to be awful because I'm tired and don't know what to do. Just warning you.

Fletcher Robinson

"So... What now boss?"

Apollo had already finished taking call and had all the boys gathered around him. I couldn't really tell who had spoken; everyone here was as cocky as the devil and twice as clever. It was almost worrying: for the girls. Apollo cleared his throat and we all turned to him. He looked a lot more tired than he did when I first met him; he sure had that Godly glow, sure. Still, something about him seemed more...mortal. More vunerable even.

"We find the band. I know there at a school... I just don't know what one. Artie revuses to tell me. So we find them and you boys will apply at that school at watch over the Huntresses. Try not to cause much trouble."A glimmer entered his eyes. "Too much trouble. As in, don't get yourself shot."That arouse some chuckles, but we knew he was serious. Dead serious. Literally. "So don't flirt to badly, no matter how hot she is. You'll regret it."

A few of the boys get distant looks in their eyes but most of them just blow it off. Something approaches my head.

"How do we find them? Their huntresses: they're known for their tracking skills. They shouldn't be easy to track." I say, looking at Apollo.

He shrugs. "You're right. They shouldn't: but they are."

I roll my eyes. Right. I'd almost forgotten about Apollo and Artemis strong twin bond. Hopefully, he'd find her like that. Although, there were no guarentees.

"So pretty much...we know their somewhere."

"'Zactly. Ready to crash some party?" Apollo said, although he didn't give us a chance to really ever answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even studying and hearing about the "Good ol' Greeks" didn't prepare me for riding in Apollo's sun limo. Faster than light (Or maybe as fast) Apollo loaded us all on and strapped us to the seats. We'd been going at 600 mph for about two hours now, but still hadn't found Artemis and her gang. It was boring, being that everyone but the trackers were sitting in the buses yellow plush seats, but it was nice that we were finally making some sort of progress. Of some sort.

"Down!" One of the trackers yelled. "She should be down there!"

Apollo swung the bus downwards, making it plumpet through the sky. My stomach dropped as I watched the ground looming in front of us.

"Shiz!" Someone yelled. "There's someone down there!"

I saw it-her-suddenly to. She didn't see us, concentrated on the deer in front of her. Still, I'd been along Gods long enough to see her aura around her. Artemis! Apollo tried to swing the chariot back up, but Artemis' back loomed closer, closer.

Swlap!
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Mon May 30, 2011 1:48 am
Redfang18 says...

Len Silverheart

Ben whispered in my ear, "I think we better pull a fast one on Fletcher while the boss-god's busy with his twin."
I grinned secretly. Ben and I were the only ones known in Apollo's group to pull pranks for our own amusement. When we were sure the others- including Apollo- were distracted, Ben and I slunk to the woods. I asked, "So what's today's order, Benny?"
Ben answered slyly, "The traditional water balloon prank. Never gets old. Fletcher will never know it was us."
I warned, "Let's not forget, my twin partner, Apollo's the only one we must avoid pranking or else it's back to the streets for us." I shivered at this. If Apollo didn't notice us at the local coffeehouse, Ben and I would've been on the streets for life. Luckily for us, Apollo didn't mind having twins in the gang.
Look down and show some mercy if you can.
Look down, look down, upon your fellow man.

~~~Les Miserables

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Mon May 30, 2011 3:01 pm
megsug says...

Royce

I think I was the only one on the bus to jump when we hit Artemis. To my credit, eight months is not enough time to get used to the whole immoratality thing with the gods. I did take the bus well though. I really want one of those things.
Of course, Artemis was fine and got up quickly, screaming at Apollo for ruining her shot. I could see movement behind the trees around us but marked it up to frightened animals, despite that, mental images of female natives with those dart things who despised the male gender popped into my mind.
As Apollo flashed us a smile and left the bus, bellowing about the damage Artemis could have done to his precious vehicle, the band filed out, seemingly unperturbed by the very human display of sibling rivalry.
Most of us stood in a small group, talking amongst ourselves, everyone silently boasting of the swagger we all seemed to have. Ben and Len had disappeared, but even I had grown used to that and knew something rather amusing would take place soon.
The loud voices of our leader and Artemis quieted and morphed into the Greecian language, so the majority couldn't understand. Apollo's voice thundered every now and then like he was arguing.
I was sure some of the demi-gods in the group understood, but I didn't care enough to ask for translation. As the voices rose again, I was sure we would figure out who won soon. Plus, Apollo would do what he wanted whether Artemis agreed to back him or not.

*Not sure where this is going, so I'm leaving it open. Sorry for the kind of pointless post*
Test

32 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2011 3:38 pm
Redfang18 says...

Len Silverheart

After helping Ben build a large slingshot, I took the position as the shooter. Both of us were sharp shots at anything- even archery- and had no problem hitting what or who we were aiming at. I closed my left eye and directed my aim at Fletcher. I whispered, "Target in sight, Benny. Ready to shoot when you are."
Ben whispered back warningly, "Be careful, Lenster. Hit Apollo or his twin and we're street rats. We got only one shot, so we better make it count." He patted my shoulder. "Go get 'im, bro."
I pulled the rubber band as far as it could allow, checked my aim to make sure I wouldn't miss, and let go of the balloon. Just when I thought I had it right, Artemis walked into the line of fire and got her head soaked. I gasped and said, "Benny, we have a problem."
Ben asked, "What problem?"
I answered timidly, "I think Artemis just took a hit."
We both gulped. We were in big trouble now.

~~~Les Miserables

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:39 pm
LadySpark says...

Alesia

There was no way I was going to do those stupid exersizes Artemis had given us as homework. Instead, I grabbed my backpack, and shoved enough food for a week inside. Then I grabbed my purple Android and ran into the woods. Scaling the first tree I can to, I sat my backpack in the crook of a branch and sat down on one below it. Opening a Cloudcake and biting into the greasy sweetness, I started fiddling around with my new phone.

Two people, who looked alike walked underneath me.
"What the heck are we going to do?" One said, looking at the other.
The other one shrugged.

As the leaned against the trunk of my tree, I felt my heart rise in my throat. Time for some fun... I pulled a grenade from my bag and pulled the pin, dropping it on the first ones head. It burst in a puff of green, stinky smoke.

I began to laugh, and using my cat like reflectices, I dropped to the ground beside them.

"So long boys," I said, and walked off towards camp, delighted in my mischief.

*HAHA Len and BEN! Try to get that stink off you!*
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

32 Reviews

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:14 pm
Redfang18 says...

Len Silverheart

I heard someone say, "So long, boys," after something fell on Ben's head. I clentched my fist and shouted, "You better not come back to do that again! If there's anybody who's gonna prank my brother, it's gonna be me!" I lowered my voice and asked, "You alright, Benny?"
Ben coughed and answered, "I'm okay, Lenster." He coughed again. "I think a chick hit us. The voice says it all." Suddenly his eyes went misty. "She might not be able to hunt for a while when Artemis finds out that one of her hunters pulled a prank on one of Apollo's boys." His voice was emotionless and almost crone-like.
I looked around and saw a riverbank. I grinned and said, "Last one to the river's a rotten egg."
We raced to the river. It ended as a tie. We tried to get the smell off, but all attempts were in vain. The smell was unbearable.
"What were you boys up to?" A voice asked.
Ben and I gulped as we saw Apollo at the dry side of the river. I begged, "Have mercy, sir. I was aiming at Fletcher, not your twin. It was an accident, I swear!"

Spoiler! :
It's not really like Len to beg for mercy, but desperate times calls for desperate measures.

~~~Les Miserables

355 Reviews

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:33 pm
LadySpark says...

Alesia

I was standing in front of Artemis and Apollo, Both of them stood with crossed arms.
"Did you prank Len Silverheart?" Apollo said, his eyebrows raised. I nodded. He broke into a grin and clapped me on the back.
"Nice one!Of course though," He said with a glance at Artemis, "You need to apoligzie. I don't know why though. Those two pranking is getting out of hand."
"Indeed." Artemis said, walking over and sittiing on a silver camping chair. Her long tan legs had tight silver leggings, and she wore a long lose blue tee-shirt with Artemis Band 1645 written across the back in white. She took her hair out of the braid it was in, and re did it, tying it with a leaf.

Apollo sighed and sat down on the other side of her. He looked completly diffrent. His red hair was messy, and his muscle shirt was red. He wore shorts with lots of pockets, and flip flops. Being in the band of Apollo would be a lot cooler than with the Hunters of Artemis.
SO much cooler.

"Are we done?" I said, stomping my foot. Apollo and Artemis nodded, dismissing me.
I ran out, searching for Iva and Althea, my best friends.
As I did, someone tripped me. I stood up, cursing whoever had stuck their foot out, and saw it was a guy with beautiful grey eyes...
"Sorry." said the guy, holding out his hand to help me up. "I'm Kevin..."

Kevin
Man, she was hot. Just a second ago she had been cursing in greek: είστε ένα ηλίθιο άλογο!
which literly meant, you are a stupid horse.
Then she looked up.
Now its not that I'm suprised, I mean, I've always thought the Artemis Hunter's goal was to capture ever single hot girl in the country, but she was seriously beautiful. Her black hair was streaked with purple and she had pulled in back messily. Instead of the usaul silver,blue and white colors of Artemis, she wore a back shirt that had a lion on it and said Off broadway production of the Lion King across the back in sparkly silver writing. She wore grey jeans, but she seemed to have written all over them with diffrent colored pens.

Hot.
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

32 Reviews

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:42 pm
Redfang18 says...

Len Silverheart

I threw a water balloon at Kevin's head and ran like crazy. Already I was fed up with the huntress for hitting my brother. I guessed she was probably aiming at me and not Ben. When I was clear of the camp, I took a lyre out of my bag and played with it. I murmured, "This is not one of the best days I could have."
Ben asked, "Mind if I join you, brother?"
I answered, "Be my guest."
We played for hours on end together, all the way to nightfall. Apollo would probably send a search party for me and Ben as always. Every time we had bad days ever since we were recruited, Apollo would send in a search party whenever we don't show up at roll call. I didn't care. I had Ben with me for company and that was all that mattered to me.

~~~Les Miserables

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:41 pm
Piper says...

Ok, I'm kind of terrified, since this is my first time doing a SB....sorry if I suck.

Althea
I was sitting on one of those silver camping chairs Artemis keeps around camp and doing needle point, something from my childhood I still love, when Alesia came up to me breathless and laughing.
"Thea, Thea guess what?"
I crinkled my nose and feigned disgust. "Judging by the smell I'd say you finally got rid of that grenade."
Her eyes got big. "You can smell it from here?"
I let out a small laugh. "No," I admitted. "I walked by the boys camp earlier, I just got back. Who'd you drop it on?"
My friend shrugged and waved her hand in the air. "Those identical twins with the rhymy names...Len and Ben. Artemis made me apologize... I couldn't tell one from the other.
The cute ones I thought, then I shook my head. Hunters don't think like that, I scolded myself.
I started tugging at my bun and all my brown hair came tumbling down. Before I had a chance to put it back up, Alesia started braiding it.
"You should let me dye it, Thea. Maybe a blue streak, or red..."
"No, no, no, no."
"Why not? It'd look hot."
I sighed again. "We're hunters, Ali, it's not our goal to look hot.
She scoffed. "Whatever. Just 'cuz we can't flirt with the Apollo guys doesn't mean we can't make them see what they're missing. Why don't we make ourselves look all cute and walk over to Apollo, and make some boys drool?
Ulterior motive a voice in my head sung out. I bet Ali likes one of those Apollo boys, I can't believe it.
I smiled. "Fine, I'll go with you, but no flirting."
She gasped. "Of course not, dear Thea, who do you think I am?"
I could tell she was trying not to laugh.
She smiled and pulled on my arm, yanking me out of the chair. "Your clothes are all drab, you can wear some of mine, we're about the same size."
I nodded sarcastically, looking at her lion king tee-shirt. "Yes, black and dark red are sooo not drab."
She stuck out her tongue. "I'll change too, now come on!"
Cats are like characters. You may say they're yours, but in reality, they own you. ~Me

You can take away all the arts you want, but soon, the children won't have anything to read or write about. ~Glen Holland

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:37 pm
megsug says...

Royce

We were chillin'. I was one of the loudest, laughing and making jokes about the Hunters. In hindsight, that wasn't the best plan...
I fell silent before anyone else as two girls strutted forward, looking nothing like two of Artemis' Hunters. Eyebrows were raised on both sides as we wondered what they were doing here and they heard the last comment trashing the girls. I couldn't help but smirk a little at the awkward silence.
"...So..." someone in the circle of guys said softly.
Finally, realizing that our troop of ladies men weren't going to say hello, I stood as my father had lectured to my many times and gave the bright, 'I'm a good guy' smile, offering my hand to the one that hadn't pranked the twins. "I'm Royce Umbuesi."
As she accepted my hand and replied, "Althea" the circle burst into a roar of names, and I shook her hand firmly. "Hopefully, our groups will be able to work well together," I murmured in her ear, thinking it sounded diplomatic and polite, though I wasn't completely sure what was going on with the Hunters.
Test

355 Reviews

Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:02 pm
LadySpark says...

Alesia

I sat on the outer rings of the bonfire, my back facing the hot Apollo guy. I had worn my sexist clothes, and I was really paying for it. My hot topic tee-shirt that was a bit too tight, with the mocking jay on the back, then my long flowy vest, and the same grey jeans. My hair was down, and pulled back with a lacy black head band. I only wanted to be notcied by one guy, the one named Kevin, I never thought of the looks I would get, including from Apollo himself. I stood up, leaving the ring, heading towards the tents.

Kevin
I followed her. There was no way I was letting a perfect oppertunity to slip away from her slid out of my fingers. The masked ball was tomarrow, and I hadn't asked anyone. Apollo's band and Artemis's hunters always got together around this time to hang out, and dance a little. We would all wear masks and no one would know who we were. It was also the only time Artemis allowed her hunters to go out on a date. As long as it ended there.

But I didn't want it to end there. But, I guess it had to.
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

32 Reviews

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:07 pm
Redfang18 says...

Len Silverheart

While Ben was busy lost in his lyre music, I hid behind a bush and made a beeline for the camp. I was lucky to have Ben as a twin. Without him, I wouldn't know when was a special occasion. I had to be sure the others were distracted from the absence of the Silverheart Twins, as we were called since we were recruited. I averted my attention to Ben, then suddenly bumped into something. Correction:someone. Another one of Artemis' huntresses. I swallowed and said, "Hi there. Sorry I ran into you. I wasn't watching where I was going."
The huntress stared at me for a moment and said, "Apology accepted. I'm Althea. What's your name?"
I took a breath and said, "Len Silverheart."

~~~Les Miserables

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:41 pm
Piper says...

Althea
I couldn't believe I went through with Alesia's plan. It was crazy, we're hunters, not models. Yet there I was, in the boys camp, wearing a glittering tank top, tiny shorts and heels. HEELS! I felt exposed and naked. All those eyes on me, I just wanted to curl up and hide. It was akward, Alesia and I standing there and all those boys. It'd been almost a hundred years since I'd talk to a boy other than Apollo. Then that boy Royce stood up and gave this really big smile, one that looked suspiciously like Apollo's, and introduced himself.
I was at a loss for words for a minute before responding with, "Althea."
After that, boys yelled over top of each other and I couldn't decifer one name from the other.
Royce leaned down and whispered, "Hopefully, our groups will be able to work well together."
I gave a faint nod and looked desperatly back at Alesia. Her eyes were on one of the other band members, I didn't know his name.
"Alesia." I whispered loudly, not daring to look back to long for risk of breaking my facade. I couldn't let those boys know I was hypervenilating inside.
Alesia lazily turned her head. "What?"
"Help me," I whispered through clenched teeth, "I haven't talked to a boy in a century!"
She let out a giggle. "Learning experience, dear Thea. Just act natural, you must have talked to boys, didn't you have a brother or something?"
"This is different!" I could hear my voice go above a whisper, but I was desperate.
She rolled her eyes. "Just go with it." And she walked off.
I took a deep breath and walked over to the log where they were all sitting. A couple of boys moved over and I sat between them, trying to make idle conversation, while Alesia was--flirting!
I was seething. I told her no flirting! Almost all of the eyes were on her, which was no suprise, and something of which I was immensly greatful. After a while of chatting with one of the boys, she sighed and stood up, heading back towards to girl camp. My eyes widened and my jaw dropped. She was leaving me!
Her words echoed through my head, "It's a learning experience."
Almost as soon as she got up, the boy she couldn't take her eyes of off followed her.
Soon they both dissapeared from sight and I wondered vaughly if he ever caught up with her.
I decided to go back as well, and I teetered up, trying to gain balance on the shoes. I was walking, not paying attention when one of the boys walked into me. I regained my balance as he apologized. I looked at him for a minute, then decided I would at least try to go with it.
"Apology accepted. I'm Althea, what's your name?" I asked, though I already knew the answer judging by the faint smell radiating from him.
"Len Silverheart."
I couldn't help but giggle. He made a face. "What's funny?"
I covered my mouth to hide the mirth. "My friend, I--I apologize for my friend. Alesia. The one who pranked you."
"Alesia, that's her name! Well, I have multiple paint-filled balloons with her name on them!"
"I'm sure you do." I responded, shivering.
His eyes widened. "Are you cold?"
I shook my head. "No, not really. I mean, a little, but nothing I'm not use-" He'd already taked of his sweatshirt and handed it to me. I slipped it on over my clothes, greatful for the coverage and the warmth. We sat on a log and talked mindlessly for what seemed to be hours, but turned out to only be thirty minutes.
"I should go back, Artemis has a curfew."
Len grinned. "I know."
I suspected Apollo camp had talked of our curfew, or even sneaked over. I shuddered at the thought. I took a deep breath and gathered all my courage, maybe even some courage than didn't belong to me, and asked the question I had wanted to ask.
"Artemis camp is holding a masquerade. Would you concider going with me?"
Alesia would be proud.

sorry, I know it's long
Cats are like characters. You may say they're yours, but in reality, they own you. ~Me

You can take away all the arts you want, but soon, the children won't have anything to read or write about. ~Glen Holland

32 Reviews

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:01 am
Redfang18 says...

Len Silverheart

A masquerade ball with one of Artemis' huntresses? It was a very tempting offer, considering that I hardly get asked by a girl. Ben was always asked out and I happen to take his place whenever he got sick. Being asked out by a Huntress of Artemis was- in my case- a rare honor. Without even much of a second thought, I answered Althea happily, "My pleasure."
"Hey, Lenster! Where are you?" It was Ben, probably just got out of his lyre solo.
I flinched. "I'll see you later. I gotta go." I left in a haste, leaving my sweatshirt with Althea as a gift.

~~~Les Miserables

Well, the only way to start is by starting
— AvantCoffee