z

Young Writers Society

Extinction

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:48 pm
megsug says...

Sarah:
Shock. Pure shock. I lagged behind the group, reminding myself that I should have gotten out more at Harvard. Slipping out my cell, I smiled at the one blinking bar, good for one call. I found myself dialing my dad's cell despite myself. I could see him sighing in annoyance. I could hear his brisk hello. Instead, I got his voicemail and felt real panic rise up. Dad always answered his cell.
None of this could be real. It made no sense. Escaped experiments, mammoths in the parking lot, Dad not answering his cell. It was a dream. It had to be a dream.
I took the phone from my ear as a dial tone began. I stared at the screen, feeling ridiculous tears form as it went black. I joined the group, walking on shaking knees and heard another guy get the same result I had.
There was a buzz of worried voices as another took his place, and I did the only thing I know how to in dire situations. I pasted on a optimistic smile and straightened my shoulders, telling myself everything would be okay, everything would be fine. I knew I was lying.
Test

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:56 pm
Camulaeus says...

Seal

I swallowed as another of my fellow passengers suffered the cold grip of worry, spurned forth by the absence of a voice. I would've called Mom, but at this time she would probably be asleep, passed out over the couch with her breathing apparatus on.

I clung to this image with all my mental strength, for at least it was something to cling on to. A broken shard of Reality trumps a wicked nightmare in my book. I kept nervously glancing out the window, peering down the street for any signs of the "experiments" the woman had talked about.

"Are you going to make a call?" Cassie asked me, biting her lip. A girl who seemed in complete shock was offering me the phone.

"No.... she won't answer anyway" I said, trying to suppress thoughts of my house in ruins, Mom lying in a crumpled heap on the floor. "Do you have to?" I asked Cassie. She looked confused for a second, "Make a call, that is" I elaborated.
With friends and courage one can stand against all foes, for neither man nor God can conquer those who are not alone

"109 in the sky but the pigs won't quit"

GLBT it doesn't matterone thing doesn't change who we are

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:08 pm
Teardrop says...

Cassie

"Um, yeah, I guess." I took the phone, taking a deep breath, and dialing my mom's cell phone number. Half of me wanted to put down the phone, realizing she might not answer, and something might have happened to her.

I tapped my finger on the counter anxiously, taking glances out the window to make sure the beast hadn't found us. Mom didn't answer. My hopes fell, shattering like a glass plate on hard wood floor. I glaned to my left, taking a deep breath. A girl with long, brown hair with eyes to match was standing at the counter.

I held the phone out to her, "Do you need to call someone?"

---------

Note: The girl is Umalii, hope that's alright, Puzzler. ^_^
And are the doctors dancing in, while the ambulances sing. Another boy without a sharper knife. The moment, that's where I kill the conversation, wrap this up with a knife that loves to feel. How do you know how deep to go before it's real?
- Yeah Boy And Doll Face ~ Pierce The Veil

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:48 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Alaska:

With Momma in Texas, could she possibly be okay? I thought to myself. I felt kind of bad for thinking it, seeing that everyone else had their parents here in Washington, but if Momma is as far away as Texas, there's a chance the animals haven't reached Texas. After all, it's only been less than a week since this all started.

After the girl with dark brown hair hung up the phone, it was my turn.

Holding my breath, I dialed the number adn listened to the phone ring. As it continued to ring for a minute, I turned to the woman and asked her for the time.

When she told me it was around noon, I just hung up the phone. Momma is always at work from eight until six, so there was no point in calling the house just to get the machine and scare myself.

After everyone had made their call, I looked around at them. All of their faces looked so dissappointed, even a little pained and confused.

Lifting up my camera, I snapped a shot of their faces.

When they looked at me like I was insane, I shrugged and explained, "I'm a photographer, so I tend to just snap pictures."

Then I added apologetically, "I'm sorry."

*not sure what to do now*
Live, Love, Laugh

75 Reviews

Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:17 pm
Teardrop says...

Cassie

The flash of the camera snapped me back to reality. All I could think about was my mom, and my brother in Hawaii. Could they have reached Hawaii, or my mom yet?

"What do we do now?" I asked loudly. I could hear the confusion, as well as the utter sorrow in my voice when I spoke. My mind was reeling.

Before anybody could answer, an inhuman screech came from just outside, and the front window of the hotel shattered.
And are the doctors dancing in, while the ambulances sing. Another boy without a sharper knife. The moment, that's where I kill the conversation, wrap this up with a knife that loves to feel. How do you know how deep to go before it's real?

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:51 pm
MilkNCookies says...

Clyde

I was secretly the only one not calling my parents. Who cared about them? They were low-living, stupid, idiotic people. So I just pretended to act defenseless and upset. Until something crashed through the window.

I screamed as loud as I could. Something... a dinosaur of some sort, had just broken the window!!

I hit Alaska's camera down to the ground and pulled her as hard as I could.

"No, my camera!!!" She yelled as I dragged her. She launched from my grasp, right in front of the dinosaur to grab it.

Ah, well. Saves me the trouble of killing her.

She isn't going to die, by the way. Someone want to go save her?
"Fantasy is a way of looking through the wrong end of the telescope."

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

84 Reviews

Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:10 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Alaska:

Clyde smacked the camera from my hands and it fell at my feet. She then grabbed me and started to pull me away.

Was she insane!? I wasn't going to leave my camera for that beast to take!

"No, my camera!" I yelled, pulling my arm from Clyde's grip and running back for it. Once I had my precious item back, then and only then did I notice the dinosaur infront of me and start to think: How the heck am I gonna get out of this one?

The dinosaur eyes me hungrily, obvoiously a meat-eater. I was frozen - I couldn't move a muscle - only stare.

But the next thing I knew, someone (Tyler, MyStoryline...thought I'd help you get in) grabbed my wrist adn tried to get me to come with him. But I couldn't. I was stuck in that spot, only able to stare at the dinosaur and the guy in panic.

Rolling his eyes, he muttered something about hating his parents for raising him to treat women well and then grabbed me by my waist and threw me over his shoulder.

*Hope this is alright*
Live, Love, Laugh

463 Reviews

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:35 pm
megsug says...

Sarah:
I stared for a moment before instincts or my guardian angel or whatever kicked in. I looked behind the desk as the dinosaur focused on the boy carrying our personal paparazzi and stretched my hand out to the woman still cowering in the corner. "Come on. We've got to go," I tried soothingly, acting as if we didn't have some man eating lizard threatening our lives.

She blinked and accepted my hand, jumping over the counter.

"Alright. Good job. Now, let's follow the group. Come on." I eyed the dinosaur who now seemed quite confused by all of the movement. I stood closest to it just so the woman had less of a chance to freeze up.

She screamed when another, similar animal followed the dinosaur through the window and stopped right in front of us.

She broke into a run despite the restraining hand I used without any result.

The movement caught the newcomer's eye, and the dinosaur followed the woman with his head before taking a step to block her path. It caught her in its jaws before she had a chance to react.

I stopped thinking, stopped moving as the woman's pump fell to the floor with a clatter. Dear mother of God.
Last edited by megsug on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Test

84 Reviews

Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:17 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Alaska:

If the guy hadn't been holding me, I would've frozen in my tracks. That.woman.just.got.eaten!

Everyone was still for a second, but then someone said in a quiet yell, "Get a move on!"

We all began running from the dinosaurs and the poor, unfortunate woman.

It was strange having the guy run while carry me, but what was I supposed to do? Tap him on the shoulder and say, "Excuse me sir, could you stop running from the dinosaurs trying to eat us so I can get off of your shoulder"?

*Sorry it's short...not sure where to take it*
Live, Love, Laugh

75 Reviews

Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:03 am
Teardrop says...

Cassie

I froze where I was, standing just a few feet away from the dinosaur that had crashed through the window, causing the glass to shatter. A piece of glass sunk right into the side on my arm.

"Crap," I almost shouted in frustration. I paused to pull the piece of glass out with a shriek. And then it got worse. Another dinosaur rampaged through the front of the hotel, right behind the other. The woman behind the desk sprinted, trying to escape. But the dinosaur caught her in the blink of an eye. Devouring her viciously.

Around me, everybody else was freaking out. People were shouting, a boy was running out with a girl over his shoulder. If I didn't get out of here in two seconds I'd end up in one of the dinosaur's stomachs. I gripped Seal's arm tightly. Ignoring the pain and blood seeping from my other arm, I took off running.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:50 pm
BrooklynWriter says...

Callie

Chaos consumed the lobby of the hotel. Everyone was scrambling. Blood still covered the dinosaurs mouth from the poor woman he just gobbled up. All of the other kids were running farther into the hotel. I followed them, bag in hand. The farther we went, the more evident it was that these pre-historic creatures had scared everyone away. Doors were thrown open and luggage was strewn everywhere. Evidently, no one was particularly worried about picking up there personals when they left.

As we ran down hallways, I noticed a glint in one of the rooms. Now I knew that it was probably nothing, my curiousity was just too great. I veered off to the left. Since I assumed no one was paying attention to me no one would notice if I left for a moment.

Inside the room, I went for the source of the glint, a bedside table, under a... well... an undergarmant of sorts. I threw it across the room to avoid extended contact. Anger flooded through me when I saw what lay on the table. A ring. A freaking ring! With all of my might, I chucked it at the window, shattering it with strength I never knew I had. I hurried back to the door.

I glanced back towards the lobby. It didn't take long to spot the huge dinosaur. It was crashing through the hallway, making it's own path. I glanced at the way his upper body carved through the wall, and then I looked at the quickly collapsing building behind him.

Panicked, I turned to the gang who continued to make there way down the long hallway. I summoned my screaming skills I had developed a few years back after the Incedent.

"GUYS, the buildings going down, get out!" I called out.

They all turned suddenly, as if they had just realized I was there. It probably was. None the less, they all rushed into the nearest room. I did the same and climbed out the window. Luckily, we were only on the ground floor so it was easy to get out safely.

By the time I was out the window, half of them were too. I rushed over to them.

*I hope that's okay with you guys. If you have any big issues with it, just let me know.*

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:12 pm
MilkNCookies says...

Clyde

"What. The. Heck. Is. Going. On?!" I screeched in a whisper as people followed me out of the window.

"We're getting attacked by dinosaurs."

"Well no duh!" I shreiked in a hoarse whisper again.

"What should we do?" I new arrival asked.

"First, we must find a shelter. Then get to know each other." Someone said.

"Let's just get out of here!" I yelped as a smaller, but just as ferocious looking dinosaur seemingly caught our scent.
"Fantasy is a way of looking through the wrong end of the telescope."

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

463 Reviews

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:31 pm
megsug says...

Sarah:
I watched the rest of the passengers drop out of the window, counting. We should probably know how many people we needed to keep up with. When the ninth person fell from the window, I waited a moment longer. Nine people. Maybe we could stay safe if we stayed together.

I took the back of the group and tried to determine the distance from the small dinosuar heading for the group at high speeds. I followed the rest, assuming someone knew what they were doing. No one looked much older than me. How were a bunch of kids supposed to survive here?

We were on the black plain of the parking lot again, a beacon for all predators, with one coming fast. We needed shelter or cover. Some woods or a big city with tall buildings. If we didn't find somewhere to hide soon, we'd end up like that woman. My mind flinched away from that image.

I stopped thinking and sprinted up to the front to see if there was a plan.

...Not really sure with what to do. Someone else please come up with something.
Test

75 Reviews

Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:24 pm
Teardrop says...

Cassie

Across the street, I spotted a small forest, a couple trees were torn down, but it seemed to be deserted as of right now.

"How about the forest?" I yelled, continuing to run as I spoke. I was breathing heavy as sweat began to drip from my forehead as my feet pounded on the pavement.

At the shouts of agreement from the group, we veered off into the road, bounding towards the forest. The dinosaurs were farther behind, but I could still hear the distant screeches as we stumbled, out of breath, into the forest.

84 Reviews

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:35 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Can't post at this exact moment, but I will later. And I want to say this now before I forget to tell you guys - I'm not going to be able to come on on Friday because it's gonna be The Day of Silence
Live, Love, Laugh

I'd be a quote vigilante. A literary Batman. Someone had better be quoting me now!
— Feltrix