z

Young Writers Society

Race of the Benders

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:15 pm
fictionfanatic says...

And from what I've found Kyoshi is where Red Jade is headed first

Ummmmm...Paza literaly just decided to go to Kyoshi Island (which I did to spark a fight between the two sides when we get there) so I don't see how Jezebel would possibly know this. And Paza hasn't even told anyone that they are going to Kyoshi Island because no one has come yet, so how would someone from the good side know? I'm just saying this because it doesn't really add up.
Live, Love, Laugh

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:33 pm
Ladyofthedeathroses says...

I fixed my post I believe it should work now.
"You are without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of."

"But you have heard of me."

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:46 pm
Sunshine says...

~Calor~

I yawn, brushing back my long hair. Why was I even up so early? I should still be in bed, waiting for Paza to yell at me about where we were headed next. No, instead I was walking through the forest, trying to work on my 'heath.' I walk near to a full looking bush, debating wether or not blowing off all of it's leaves would improve my mood.

"Who's there!"

I peer through the push, not seeing anyone. I sigh and step through the bush, getting through with only a few branches still on me. The person who yelled at me was hidden my a row of dirt. Earth bender. I smile, putting on a cool and calm voice.

"Hey, dude. Calm down. I'm not going to hurt you."

The last part was a lie. I was going to hurt him if I needed to. The guy put the wall down slowly, revealing a bedraggled guy with long hair and scars everywhere. Nothing I couldn't take. I stick out my hand over the area where the wall was.

"I'm Calor," I say," You are?"

The guy regards me carefully,"Jazliac."

"Jazilac huh? You're an Earthbender?"He nodds. "I'm an airbender."

He looks me over, his eyes weary.

"Do you need any food?" I ask, looking him over. This is where I scare him away or make Paza proud," That is, if you don't mind taking food from the Red Jade."
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

84 Reviews

Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:32 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Jazliac:

"Hey, dude. Calm down. I'm not going to hurt you." Said the guy who came from the bushes.

Slowly, I lowered the dirt chunk, but kept my hands balled up, ready to bring the dirt back up. When the dirt dropped, it revealed a skinny guy with medium length blonde hair.

"I'm Calor," He said, then continued "You are?"

I squinted my eyes and looked him over, warily, "Jazliac."

"Jazilac huh? You're an Earthbender?" Calor asked.

I gave him a nod.

Calor then said "I'm an airbender."

"Do you need any food?" Calor asked, looking me over quickly and carefully.

"That is, if you don't mind taking food from the Red Jade."

At the sound of the Red Jade, my ears perked up and I unballed my fists.

"Did you say Red Jade?" I asked, my voice picking up some cheer.

"I've been walking for three days to meet the rest of you guys!" I cheered, my smile widening.

Then I slowly added, "And I have no money and have been scraping to get by for a long time now, so is the offer of food still on the table Calor?"

Calor nodded, a smirk rising on his face. He gestured through the trees to a small inn.

I gave a smile, showing my white teeth, and followed Calor to the inn.

Paza:

When the door swung open, I dropped my hand from the map and looked over, smiling when I saw Calor come in.

Some guy came in behind Calor and I grew confused. Was Calor being followed?

Calor and the guy came over.

"Calor?" I said, trying not to sound to venomous, "Who is he?"

I gave him a quick once over. He looked like a fighter, like someone who can hold his own ground and protect himself - something the Red Jade could use.

"I'm Jazliac. Are you the leader of the-"

Cutting him off, I said "Watch your words Jazliac. Word travels very fast around here, and we don;t need word to get out, do we? Besides," I said, leaning in closer, "The White Lotus is trying to get to the Avatar before we do."

Jazliac's eyes flashed in anger at the sound of the White Lotus' name.

Good I thought to myself.

"Now, we just need to wait for everyone else to get here. Are you hungry?" I said, sitting down at the table nd signaling a waiter.
Live, Love, Laugh

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:37 pm
MilkNCookies says...

IGNORE- I'm editing!

Spoiler! :
'The front door of the shop opened abruptly and stopped me in mid thought. I quickly turned around to catch a glimpse of one of the person I would traveling with...'

Liyam(White Lotas)| in restaurant with Chaiz

I strode into the restaurant, our supplies in a sack.

"I'm Chaiz, a water bender. I guess I'll be traveling with you." He said, offering a hand. I glared at it with distaste, before he withdrew it.

"Liyam." I muttered.

"Excuse my rudeness, but are you a... fire bender?" He asked, as a waiter came by with tea. While it was not prepared even close to right in the Earth Kingdom, I still accepted it and took a sip.

"Yea. You're a water bender." I stated. "I'm not good company, but I'm good protection." I explained. Better to say it now then when he would ask.

"Well, out of curiosity, why did you join the White Lotas?"

"The Avatar. That's all." I refused to explain to a stranger- for now.

"okay, then. Well, when are you ready to go?"

"There are a bunch of things to plan first. What is your plan?"

"Travel to Kyoshi Island. It makes sense is the Avatar is an Earth Bender. Oh, and I'm the leader of the expedition, by the way." He explained.

"Any particular reason you think it's an earth bender?" I asked simply.

" I just have that itch, I guess." I thought he might be restraining some information, but I didn't really care.

"Well, are we catching a boat?"

"That's the only logical thing, unless you plan on capturing some type of creature of flying."

"Well, don't get all snappy with me." I replied.

"When do we leave?" He asked again.

"How about now?"
"Fantasy is a way of looking through the wrong end of the telescope."

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:37 pm
Dragonette says...

Reymare~Fire

"Reymare," I said. I stretched my hand toward the earthbender and almost smiled, almost, but I remembered that that wasn't what a firebender's attitude should be. Quickly dropping my hand, I spun on my heel and headed for the back door of the tea shop, leaving her behind me.

When I walked in, I saw a group of teens about my age sitting at a Pai Sho table. From the looks of their clothing, a waterbender, another earthbender and a firebender like myself. I tried not to groan when I saw that another firebender was joining us; that would mean competition and I would have to prove myself, and possible bullying which meant I would have to try harder to hide my kindness and weakness.

Me and --what was her name? Nya?-- sat down. I waved down a waiter, got some food, and slouched in my chair and crossed my arms.

*********************************************************************************************************
>I'm going to speed things up a bit<
Chaiz~Water

I watched as a firebender and an earthbender walked in an joined us. An odd combination, I thought.

Soon everybody was here; two firebenders, two earthbenders, and two water benders (myself included). As the last one --the earthbender-- made herself comfortable, I stood up, made a quick sweep of the shop with my eyes to make sure we were alone, and begun, "I'm Chaiz Youta, from the Southern Water Tribe, and I'll be leading this quest.
As I'm sure you all know, Kora, the recent Avatar, has passed on-"

"Five silver pieces says it has something to do with the Red Jade," one of the firebenders mumbled.

I nodded, "Most likely. And I do know that they will be "joining" us on this expedition. Word is that they want to find the Avatar as well, but, as you can guess, it's for a different reason." I looked everyone in the eye, "I hope you are willing to give anything for the Avatar, because that is what it might cost; by joining this quest you are giving your life." Everyone looked bored and gave me expressions like "tell me something I don't know". I sighed, grown-ups were so much easier to talk to. But I cleared my throat and began talking again anyways. "So, our first destination is Kyoshi Island," I glanced at Jezebel, receiving a look of disapproval. "I know the Avatar will be Earth Kingdom because I have recently studied the Avatar cycle and this is my result. So, I thought that maybe we should travel to a former Earth Avatar town. I don't expect to find him there, but maybe we can dig up some history; maybe somethings that will help us look for the new Avatar, or, who knows, maybe some prophetic books about the child. Whatever it is, it's as good as any place to start."

I took a deep breath and saw that everybody was at least warming up to my idea. "Alright," I said, shouldering my pack, "I hope you guys are ready because we have a whole country to cover. Lets not waste anytime."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walked across the deck and leaned against the railing of the ship. It wasn't a fancy ship, but it was the best bargain at the ship dock. It seemed to be made out of sturdy wood, and the sails and mast were well made; I think was a good choice to pick this boat for the trip to Kyoshi.

I thought back to what the old ship owner had said when I purchased the ride. "Should make it to yer lil' island in two days; one if we're lucky," he had said in his scraggly, sandpaper voice.

I glanced at my team mates as the lounged around the deck. They had had a long walk to Goymi (where we got the boat) and they were hanging around, each doing their separate thing. Liyam was off in a corner practicing some firebending moves, kicking and stuff; the two earthbenders' faces were green and I was pretty sure they weren't enjoying the boat ride; Reymare was carrying an armful of straw-stuff to his saber-tooth-moose that was being kept in the hold under the deck; and Jezebel was at the back of the boat, waving her arms in some kind of waterbending motion, I was pretty sure she was helping move the boat along. I smiled and decided to walk over and join her.

When I got to her she gave me an almost irritated look. "Hey, look, I'm sorry about Kyoshi, but I really think it's a good start," I told her. She glared at me for a while longer, but finally she just shrugged and went back to her bending. "So..." I scratched the back of my neck and tried to think of something to say.
Last edited by Dragonette on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a JESUS FREAK! (but you can call me a 'Jeek' if you want :D

Why is a raven like a writing desk?

You aren't an official writer unless you're at least slightly mad.

49 Reviews

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:42 am
MilkNCookies says...

Liyam|On the ship

How I wish I could use lightning right now!

I was so bad at fire bending.

"No, smart one. it's like this." Someone interrupted, dropping something. The man punched the air, sending flames flying.

"Oh." I said simply, not attempting to mock him. "I'm Liyam. I'm much better-" I cut myself off; I didn't want to tell a stranger all of my talents. "better off not fire bending on deck."

"Oh. Well, I'm Reymare." He said, offering a hand. I stared at it strangely. But slowly, I did take his hand. It was pleasurably warm... when was the last time I saw a fire bender? Long ago.

"Nice to meet you." I replied.

"If I may ask...why are you here? You don't seem good at fire bending." He admitted.

I shrugged. "They just told me to."

He shrugged as well. 'Whatever."

"So... you're a good fire-bender, eh?" i asked.

"Years of training. Now, my saber-tooth moose needs this." Without another word, he picked up the straw and continued to walk to the lower-deck, where he was originally headed.

I attempted to punch like he did.

No luck. Of course.
"Fantasy is a way of looking through the wrong end of the telescope."

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:06 am
SisterItaly says...

Nya|On the ship

"Make it stop..." I whined as the ship bobbed up and down. My face was almost as green as my uniform. We hit another wave, making me gag and grip the rail of the ship. Water, sea, it was all beautiful, as long as I wasn't on it. It also didn't help that I had never learned to swim.

I turned and plopped down on the hard boards of the ship's deck, holding my eyes shut tightly. A wave of pain thumped through my head, I groaned and tried to fight off this horrible sea sickness. Pa pa had never taken me sailing before, so this was all new to me. I pulled my knees up to my chest and let my forehead fall on them.

"All it does is go up... and then back down, and... make it stop..." I groaned, even though I figured no one was listening. Sea spray came up from below the boat and splashed my back, leaving that horrible salty smell on me. I gagged once again and shuddered slightly. I knew if I just sat there it wouldn't make things any better. I grabbed the railing with both hands and forced myself to stand.

My knees felt weak and the entire world felt like it was spinning. I closed my eyes tightly and held onto the railing for dear life. I didn't move for what felt like hours in my mind. It was probably a good five minutes at most. When I did let go I stumbled a bit and quickly grabbed my bag. I sat down against the nearest wall I could find and quickly pulled off my poncho, replacing it with a clean one I had packed for the journey. A good warrior always comes prepared.

I pulled my knees up to my chest again and rocked back and forth, countering the motion of the water. It soothed me slightly, but my stomach didn't seem to settle.
"Are you alright?" asked a voice from above.

*Anyone?*
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:34 am
Sunshine says...

Vetzena/ On boat.

I hated water. So much. It was just like that water bender to put me on a boat. I don't know why I hated water so much, maybe it came with being an Earthbender. I just hated it. The small of it, the feel of it, and even sometimes the look of it. I could settle for good ol' earth anyday. I glance around the ship, taking in each aspect of it. Chaiz over by the rear of the boat, trying to speed it along. Two firebenders talking. Over in the other corner of the ship, I see a girl looking almost as sick as I felt. See? A small voice in my head stated. Your not alone. I sigh. I watch the girl with uncertain hesitation. She had to be my age, maybe younger. She was pretty, but tough looking. I wonder what she bended. Slowly and rockingly getting up I take a few steps toward the girl and before I can loose my sense say:

"Are you ok?"

She looks up, as though shocked someone was talking to her.

"Fine." she muttered.

If this was any other day I would have turned back then and went back to my corner. It wasn't, sadly. It was the day we tried to find the avatar, and that had to count for something. Didn't it? I slump down beside the girl.

"I'm Vetzena," I say and add after a pause," I'm an Earthbender."

A small bit of interest sparks in her eyes. "Nya. Me to." She looks flustered." I mean...I'm an Earthbender to."

That suprised me. I know I wasn't the biggest or most muscular bender ever but Nya looked rather small. I wonder what to say next, going through each choice in my mind.

"Does that explain why your getting as seasick as me?"
Worst leave off ever. Sorry, Puzzler. Do what you can.
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

84 Reviews

Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:07 am
fictionfanatic says...

Paza:

When the group was completely gathered, we headed out to the closest boat dock that we could find, which luckily was only about a day's walk away.

Once we got there, we waited for one of the fishermen's boat's to completely be emptied of people before we swiped it and started out on our journey.

I sat on the ground, leaning against's the boat's wall with Jazliac beside me, the top half of his body hanging over the side of the boat as he moaned.

Everyone else seemed to be either lazing around or practicing their knife work or bending.

For a moment, I closed my eyes and felt the waves carry the boat through the water, thankful that the wind was on our side, as well as the airbender, and was leading us smoothly to Kyoshi Island.

When I opened my eyes, I grabbed Jazliac by his shirt and pulled him up and gathered everyone else around in somewhat the same manner. When everyone was gathered around, I made and anouncement.

"When we get to Kyoshi, you better expect anything. For all we know the White Lotus could be heading there too. We need to be on our top game. So stop lazing around and start practicing. I dont care whether you practice bending, hand to hand combat, or whatever, just do something and remember to keep an eye out. We should be there in about two days, hopefully just one."

*Sorry this is little help...I'm about to go to sleep*
Last edited by fictionfanatic on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live, Love, Laugh

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:36 pm
Dragonette says...

Reymare~Fire

I couldn't help it. My over-sensitivity just couldn't stand and watch Nya get sick. I mean she was weak and miserable, I just had to do something. Biting my lip, I cautiously walked toward her and the other Earthbender. They were talking but when I got there, they stopped. "Um, hi, I noticed that you weren't feeling good, so I thought this might help," I talked quickly and my voice was low, I was so not a social person. I brought out a clay bowl of some sort of soup stuff that I had borrowed from one of the crew. "I heated it myself, I know it looks nasty but it's not so bad." I extended it toward her but she just looked at me as if I were an alien that had popped out of the sky. She probably wasn't expecting such kindness from a firebender, especially the way I treated her back at the shop.

Finally the other earthbender grabbed it and mumbled a "thanks." They sipped a few bites in silence while my eyes were trying to find something to concentrate on. Eventually one of the girls said, "So, you seemed familiar with this stuff," she indicated to the soup/medicine.

I shrugged, "It's a long way from the Fire Nation to the Earth Kingdom. I got minor sea sickness once." We went into another lapse of silence. I've lived on a remote Island all of my life, you don't have to worry to much about social skills. What was I suppose do? Should I attempt at making a conversation? What I really wanted to do was walk away from this awkward situation, but how do I do that? Wouldn't it be rude to just leave?

I sighed and looked at the girls out of the corner of my eye. They were watching me and I quickly looked for something to say, "Uh...pretty sunset." I did a mental face palm, and then mentally kicked myself, can you spell stupid?
I'm a JESUS FREAK! (but you can call me a 'Jeek' if you want :D

Why is a raven like a writing desk?

You aren't an official writer unless you're at least slightly mad.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:49 pm
Ladyofthedeathroses says...

Jezebel
I sat down feeling my arms ache and I stretched them out and rolled them in circles one after the other. "Who do you miss the most?" I asked Chaiz who was stilll bending. I could still help him but my long journey was starting to take it's toll. "What do you mean?" He asked looking at me. " Who do you miss out of the Southern Water Tribe unless your from the Northern Tribe." I asked not remembering if he had mentioned his tribe. "I'm from the Southern Water Tribe. As for who I miss..." He trailed off thinking. During his silence I settled until my back was against the side of the ship my legs tucked under me.
"You are without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of."

"But you have heard of me."

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:04 am
SisterItaly says...

Nya

I had released my death grip on my stomach and looked out towards the sunset. It was beautiful, it really was. I shuddered and wrapped my arms around myself yet again. I glanced up at Reymare, wondering what brought on this sudden kindness. He had seemed so cold, back at the restaurant. I couldn't help but smile slightly.

I bit my lip and stared out over the water. I was sure my father wouldn't have been as helpless as I was. I was a disgrace to our family name. My hand snaked up around my necklace as I thought about it, a thought that had been dwelling in my head since I could remember.

The necklace was all I had of my mother. It was given to me by my father when I was seven, and I never took it off. I was too afraid of losing it. I had vowed a long time ago on this necklace that I would bring honor to our family. Honor was something I would not be gaining today after my behavior.

I pulled myself to my feet and stared at the setting sun. I might not have been bringing honor today... but tomorrow... Tomorrow was a new day. I smiled weakly at Reymare again.

"Thank you, that was very kind," I mumbled, followed by a slight bow.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

84 Reviews

Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:19 am
fictionfanatic says...

Hey guys...I'm really really uber sorry, but I can't do this storybook. I've found that I have just gotten a little to obsessed with the computer, and it's really hurting me and my writing, even though this is a writing website. So I just have to refrain from getting on all of the time. I'm really sorry if this inconviences you, but I just need to take this time for myself for a little while.
Live, Love, Laugh

49 Reviews

Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:22 pm
thestorygirl says...

Name- Rakeza

Side- Bad

Age- 11. The youngest of everyone on either of the sides.

Nationality- Earth.

Personality- Strong-willed and stubborn. She is kind to all that believe she is as strong as everyone else, but a vicious fighter with her enemies. She loves the color black, and is often seen taking care of the animals. She loathes overly happy people and goes out of her way to make their lives miserable. She is excellent at earth-bending and fighting with weapons too. She can't use a bow and is scared of cats.

Appearance- She is tall and muscley for her age. She's about 5' 5. She has blonde hair that falls to her waist that she always keeps in a braid. Her eyes are normally grey but occasionally turn different colors. She normally wears black clothing and always has a knife at her side, just in case. She has 7 scars on her shoulder from when her mother cut her as a child.

Brief History- Her father died a long time ago. As a child her mother envied her for being a talented earth-bender, while her mother was not an eath-bender. Her mother, who had gone insane, tried to kill her, but Rakeza trapped and killed her under a pile of rocks and, immediatley found the Red Jade, who took her in and trained her to be bad. She still has nightmares about it.

-thestorygirl :twisted:
Nella vita vi è la distruzione, desolazione nella morte, ma c'è speranza nella rivoluzione.

Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?
— George Wallace