Young Writers Society

The Lost Heir

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:52 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Sorry.

Larka - Wolf:

"Dimov," I heard when I went up to my group "and I would appreciate it if you would stop bothering me, mutt." I gave a small smile. A fellow wolf. But he seems to have an attitude problem. "Hello my fellow group members. My name is Larka and don't worry, I don't mind being bothered. The guy, I believe him to be a wild dog, said "I'm Caine." My face lit up and I said "Candy Canes!" Then I wrickled my nose "I don't like the flavored ones, only the peppermint."
Live, Love, Laugh

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:40 pm
View Likes
Sassafras says...

Lilth

The man led us to a group of three more, including my model. The corner of my lip quirked up a bit, maybe I would have a chance to finish my picture after all. I walked up to the group and set my bag on the ground.
"Hello," I said, trying to sound polite," I'm Lilth." The rest introduced themselves as Larka, Dimov, and Caine. When introductions were done, I sat down on the floor and resumed my drawing. Everything was calm for a moment, no one really said anything. That Dimov guy just stood off to the side, looking pissed. Arnyss sat somewhere to the left of my, looking fidgety, and Larka and Caine were talking about something quietly.
"Hey, you're that guy from earlier," someone shouted. I looked up slowly, trying not to let the irritation of being interrupted show on my face. Cain was standing a bit closer, his head tilted to the side a bit.
"Excuse me?"
"The guy that was starring at me earlier."
"I believe it was you that glared at me first, and I only stared because I was drawing you." I held up my drawing pad and let him take it.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:30 pm
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Kierso

I ran over to the little cluster one official pointed me to. There was the guy who had left after I sat down (still a coincidence), the other wild dog, and others. Pushing the hem of my hat out of my eyes and wrapping my arms around myself, I slowly walked up, clearing my throat softly. They all turned to me so quickly I almost bolted right then and there.

"I'm, uh, in the group." I said, staring straight down at my soft leather boots, patched up like my pants were. My voice was naturally husky, another point that added to the reasons I was mistaken for a male. Not much of an issue back in the village, where all I had to do was deliver and give messages. Sometimes I even was a model for Cassidy's male clothing. I hoped no one was severely confused by it here.

"And your name?"

"Kierso Rent."

There were a few snickers, but I heard, "Don't they make really nice clothes?"

"Yep."

"... Nice."

I shut up after that, assuming the usual stance. You know the one. Shoulders slumped, hands dug into my pockets, looking lanky and gangly as usual. Looking awkward. Not much of a feat, considering my genetic makeup. Tall, stick thin, and having the capability of looking gangly at all times.

Eh. I didn't mind much.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:40 pm
Maybe says...

*Hey guys, could you please start adding your character's name and the animal that they turn into at the top of your posts? Thanks! (also, location is optional)

Caine - Royal Palace - Wild Dog

A drawing pad was shoved in my face by the boy with the feathers in his hair. An owl, if I had to guess, though some other sort of bird was just as much of a possibility. I took the offered paper cautiously, brow furrowed as I studied the sketch. It was me, though I had no idea why he had chosen me. It didn't seem like I would be a very good model. And the fact that I hadn't even known I was the subject of someone's drawing disturbed me. My gaze turned suspicious.

"Why were you drawing me?"

The boy appeared anything but apologetic. "Because you looked interesting."

There was a scoff from behind me. I spun to see the wolf, Dimov, regarding us with a superior air, though he seemed amused. I shot him a dirty look, handed the boy his sketchbook, and folded my arms.

"My hair isn't nearly messy enough," I said, nodding towards the drawing. I almost threw a smug glance at the wolf, but making enemies with large carnivores that I would be traveling with for however long we were supposed to be on this silly 'mission' did not rank high on my list of things to do.

So I kept my eyes focused solely on the boy as he frowned and glanced between his sketch and myself. Others were beginning to gather around us - probably more team members. I risked a look, not particularly pleased with what I saw. There were mainly predators. Large predators that had a one hundred percent chance of being much stronger than I was. I hunched my shoulders slightly, trying to appear as small and unnoticeable as possible.

Though there was one girl, who had much of the same build as I did and dark eyes. She could have been another wild dog, but it was probably just wishful thinking. There were also more birds, besides the one that still stood in front of me looking puzzled about his picture. I didn't mind the birds so much. It was the beasts that I worried about. Hyenas had some of the strongest jaws in the animal kingdom. Thankfully, there didn't seem to be any of them around. Still, lions, wolves, and bears were just as bad in my book.
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

169 Reviews

Reviews: 169
Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:24 pm
Lethero says...

Dimov-Wolf

"Is this everyone?" the pilot asked walking up to us. He was a big guy, with pitch black hair, and white feather mixed in. "Well, here's the deal: I take you to your destination, drop you off, and if you find the prince," he held up a small silver, walnut-sized device, "use this transmitter. At that time I, and the rest of the pilots shall head out and secure the prince, as well as you guys. Did you guys catch everything I said?" Everyone nodded. "All righty then, let's not waste any more time."

The pilot opened up the cargo area in the back, and we all climbed in, sitting on the seats along the sides. No one said anything once the hovercraft was in the air. I set to running a whetstone over my sword, the girl who called herself Lilth was drawing away on her sketchpad, and the rest looked plain nervous.

"Does anyone know exactly where we are going?" someone asked after about an hour into the trip. "By now we're probably over the Badlands."

"If I had to guess, we're going to the Pyro Mons (Fire Mountain)," I said, referring to the where the darkest of all mages lived.

"Why do you say that?" another person asked, sounding worried.

"Where else is there to hide a kidnapped prince and his father's murderer?"
Fly, Fight, Win . . . in Air, Space, and Cyberspace.
-Air Force Mission Statement-

Integrity First
Service Before Self
Excellence In All We Do
~Air Force Core Values~

*Lethero*

161 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:08 am
Sassafras says...

Lilth:

"Where else is there to hide a kidnapped prince and his father's murderer?" He was right of course. I sighed and pulled out my drawing pad again, what else was there to do? I stared at my picture from earlier and back up at the boy. Maybe he was right about the hair thing... I erased some parts of his hair and made them seem more disarray. There. Better?

I looked out of the hovercraft's window and sighed, my wings ruffling again. I didn't need this thing flying for me. I could fly by myself. Groaning, I tore my gaze away and put my chin in my hand.
"Getting fidgety," someone said curtly. I looked over to see Dimov crookedly smiling.
"Yeah," I said simply. This guy seemed like trouble and I havn't the patience for that today. He scoffed and leaned back a bit in his seat. My wings ruffled again and I squirmed a bit. Birds need to fly! I need to fly. This is torture.
"Calm down," he said again, "we should be there soon." I'm sure he's not sounding snobby on purpose. Maybe that's just the way he always talks. I grunted in response and closed my eyes. Maybe I should draw something, that would keep my mind off of flying. I ran my fingers over the drawing pad on my lap and exhaled loudly. Looking up, I scanned everyone. Who here would be good to draw?

I was just finishing my portrait on the girl when the pilot announced we were landing.
"Perfect," I said with a small smile. I was first off the hovercraft and, as soon as my feet hit ground, my wings burst through my shirt and I was in the air. Not going anywhere, just hovering above the ground, just happy to be in the air. I couldn't fly away just yet.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:12 am
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Kierso- Wild Dog

Pyro Mountains... I shuddered. That didn't even sound remotely pretty. But I couldn't turn back, even if I was just a gangly girl from a town where I was just the runner. Oh well, at least that was one thing- I knew I was fast. Really, really fast. And being scrawny had its perks, as Reesey always told me. (Reesey: my little brother's babysitter.) And I could use knives fairly well, I suppose. Eh... I wasn't that skilled.

But in running? Man. When I ran, I was invincible. No one could stop me, beat me, do anything to me. I just ran, and I was actually good at it. Shocker, right? I chuckled at myself, ignoring the is-she-crazy-looks I was sent. I fished out a pencil and notebook from another pocket and began to scribble down notes. Yes, I know, I'm a geek, but I didn't want to forget anything and I was bored. Put two and two together.

This time it was on the wild dog. What I could do as one, how fast, agility, strength, the works. Just little facts to take into consideration when I was a dog. Nimble, jumps high/long, fast. Not strong. Stuff like that. Like I said, tidbits to help in the future.

I pushed my hat up again and rubbed my arms, looking around the group. They all looked more capable than me. Stronger. Not faster, maybe, but stronger, better fighters. Well, no, I take that back. I put up a good fight. They just looked like they could kill you with their bare hands. Or most of them, anyway. Still better than being at my rank.

So, yeah. Guess you can tell my self esteem's not the best.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:59 pm
Maybe says...

Caine - Wild Dog

The hovercraft landed with a jolt and instantly one of the birds transformed and flew off, hovering in the air nearby. I stood stiffly, stretching my limbs as the pilot came around the back to make that everyone got off. I followed the others out onto the hard-baked dirt, looking around at the surrounding land. It didn't look particularly inviting. Dark mountains loomed overhead, blocking out the sun and engulfing us in shadows. Small rivulets of red streaked down the side of each mountain, looking like tear stains sprouting from the crevices. I hadn't been here before, but I had heard stories. The Pyro Mons cried rivers of fire.

The air was hot and dry and smelled distinctly of ash. I crinkled my nose, eyes already scanning the mountains for possible locations that the missing Prince might be held. There were a few scattered caves, but there was no movement save for the slow crackling of the fire. Around me, people were murmuring quietly amongst themselves.

"Remember, use the transmitter only if you've found the Prince. Otherwise, you're on your own. I'll be back to collect you should the Prince be found by another team, or after three months have passed. Should an emergency occur, send a messenger back to the palace and someone will come out to help you. Everyone understand?"

There were a few murmurs of consent. The pilot gave us a parting smile and wave before he jumped back into the hovercraft and directed it away, back the way it had come. We all watched it go. I grit my teeth together. Three months out here? Unless by some odd chance that someone found the Prince before then? Well, this was going to be interesting, to say the least.

I shouldered my bag and scowled darkly at the mountains that stood over us. Couldn't we have gone somewhere...nicer?
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

161 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:40 pm
Sassafras says...

Lilth - Owl

I hovered in the air and watched as everyone got off the hovercraft. When everyone was off, the hovercraft flew away and everyone gathered in a small circle below me.
"So, what do we do now," someone asked. I lowered a bit so that I was barely off the ground.
"We should probably find a place to rest," I suggested. "It's going to be getting late soon and I would hate to be stuck without a proper resting place." I scanned the area while everyone contemplated possible campsites. The mountains were dark and mysterious, practically begging me to fly over there. The rivers of red running down the side were captivating and alluring. Trees loomed above our heads, so tall that it seemed as if they were going to tear into the sky, raining all of time and space down upon us. It was so beautiful here.
"You coming," someone called off to the side. I looked over from the scenery and saw that the group was a good few feet away, already walking into the dense forest in search for camp. I nodded and flew over to where they were, staying a few feet above ground.
"Yeah," I said with my usual monotone, "let's go."

We had been walking for some time now, still searching for somewhere to sleep. I'd folded my wings away and starting walking again, my back starting to ache from the constant flapping. Everyone was sluggish, too tired to try and spark a conversation. I groaned and wrapped my arms around my growling stomach.
"Aside from the shelter problem," I started, "there still lies the problem of food. I don't know about you all, but I'll just reside in a tree tonight. If it's okay with everyone, I'd like to go hunting right about now."

169 Reviews

Reviews: 169
Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:45 am
Lethero says...

It was almost midnight before we found a suitable clearing in the woods with plenty over over hanging branches to protect us from the ran. As soon as everyone settle in, Caine, Keirso, Larka, and I set out in the forest in our animals forms, and in a couple of hours brought back a deer, which was quickly cleaned and cooked. We all ate good, though some of birds decided they would prefer to eat the rodents they caught.

I decided that I would take first watch, preferring not to be woken up in the middle of the night. The night slipped on silently, as I watched the other sleep. In the distant, I heard the cries of the Wild Ones as they hunted. After several hours, I woke someone up to take my spot and promptly fell asleep.
Fly, Fight, Win . . . in Air, Space, and Cyberspace.
-Air Force Mission Statement-

Integrity First
Service Before Self
Excellence In All We Do
~Air Force Core Values~

*Lethero*

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:19 am
AngerManagement says...

Sorry, this is really late.

Name: Kris Lennon

Animal: The Lion

Appearance - Written: As a human Kris looks incredibly delicate, she is always straightening her unruly mane with use of chemicals which has given it it's colour. She's short for her age and her large feet and hands makes her look very out of proportion. She is mostly found wearing long tops and jeggings because she is a convenient dresser.

As a lion she's the complete opposite of her human form, she is huge and towers over most lions. She is confident in her lion form and prefers to stay in that form most of the time.

Appearance - Picture: Human.
Spoiler! :
Spoiler! :

Personality: Kris is very loyal, and almost never questions anything. She is also very naive and is often deceived by others. She is also quite shy and likes to hide in the shadows. She has a quick temper and is likely to get into fights when she feels people are being bullied. She also has a dark side that she tends to hide from other people. Likes to be on her own at times and will go to any length to be alone.

Likes: Lazing about and doing nothing, sweets and is always eating something, guns-she's obsessed with them.

Dislikes: Bullies, liars, people who take advantage of other people, people who tend to overcompensate, the rain.

History: Kris was born into a very influential family that are very close to the royal family. She is the only child of her parents and is always being watched because shes always running away. She has met the prince at random times and hadn't really taken any heed to him. She sees no reason to be part of the team until her parents brought up the subject of marriage. She doesn't care about the prince at all.

Other: She is happiest in sunny weather.
Dont tell me the moon is shining, show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Anton Chekov

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:01 am
Moo says...

Guys, I'm dropping out, sorry. My character is totally lost somewhere. Sorry for the inconvenience. D:
“Poetry is old, ancient, goes back far. It is among the oldest of living things. So old it is that no man knows how and why the first poems came.”

--Carl Sandburg

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:09 pm
Kaywiia says...

Renda

I arrived late at the camp, but stuck along the sidelines, watching the others with amusement. A mouse scurried past my foot, and I stepped on it. I picked it up. Binner, I thought, or maybe brunch. After shoving the mouse in my tent, I walked towards where the others were, my footsteps unheard on the soft ground.

I seated myself beside Caine, and silently counted to see how long it would taste him to notice I was there. After forty-seven and a half seconds, he let out an explicative and looked at me. "You can't just go sneaking up on people, Renda. Someday your going to give one of us a heart attack."

"Only if the fish stays in the soup bowl," I said, meaning (obviously) that it would only happen if nothing changed. I rested my head on my chin, and looked into the fire. After a minute of looking into the red ire, I reached in the little pouch I kept tied to my waist and threw a plant in. It turned the flames green, and most of the others seated around the fire jumped back in shock. I let out a chuckle at their reaction.

"What was that for?" Kierso demanded. I looked her over again. I had already categorized this one. I remembered people well; I could see them only one time and four frogs later would still remember what they looked like. A note I had made to myself about her was her silly name, not to mention her short hair. Her name, though, was what really stuck in my mind about her.

"The fire is far more interesting this way. Besides, your reaction amused me greatly." With that, I stood up. As soon as I looked away from the fire, it turned back to the orange and red it had previously been, leaving several of my colleagues stunned.
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:32 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Larka - Wolf:

Everyone but Dimov went to sleep. Normally, I would go into my wolf form so that I'd be safer but I didn't have the enrgy to do so. After what I assumed to be a few hours of dreamless sleep someone shook me. I freaked out and screamed, only to ave a hand slapped over my mouth "Shut up. It's only me." Pulling his hand off of my mouth "God! You scared me! You almost ended up with a clawed face."

I stood and Dimov took my spot, falling asleep quickly. After looking around I changed into my wolf form. Deciding to check out the perimeter I ran out into the woods to a point where I could just barely see the others, but still see them. I ran in a circle about five times. Running always made me happier. When I came back into the clearing I lay down next to the fire adn watched the flames engulf each other.
Live, Love, Laugh

161 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:35 pm
Sassafras says...

Lilth

I was perched in a tree above the camp site, watching everyone below me converse and what not. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see someone approach and sit next to Caine. he didn't even acknowledge her presence, either that or he didn't notice. I looked away from them and glanced at the half-eaten mouse on the branch nest to me. The rodents just aren't as good here as they are at home. I sighed before scolding myself and putting my emotions in place, I was never one to feel home sick. Besides, it was so lovely here.
Screams from below startled me and I rose a few feet into the air, ready to strike, but, when I glanced down, I saw that the "invader" was nothing but a green fire. I rolled my eyes and settled back down. Must they be so...unnecessary?
"The fire is far more interesting this way. Besides, your reaction amused me greatly." I looked at the girl that spoke, contemplating weather or not I should subject her to one of my pictures. She stood up and started walking away, when she cleared the trees, every thing turned back to normal around the fire. What, no one was going to tell her how stupid and dangerous that was? I waited a few more seconds before giving up and going myself, changing back into my human form when my talons touched the ground. I threw a few words of reassurance to the others before heading off.

It wasn't that hard to find her, she wasn't really keeping low profile. Crashing through trees, crushing branches, and startling the wildlife.
"It's not safe to be wandering off, Renda," I said with my usual calm monotone once I got close enough for her to hear me. She turned around and glanced at me, not seeming at all alarmed by my sudden approach.
"I can fair very well by myself," she said just as calmly. "I don't need a watch dog, or, excuse me, watch owl." I inwardly flinched at being called a dog and shoved my hands in my pockets. I sighed and spread out my wings behind me, preparing to leave. If she wanted to be eaten up by the bigger game out here was fine by me. I was tired anyway.
"As you wish," I mumbled before rising into the air. "But, if you come back bloody, I get the right to say I told you so." And with that, I flew off.

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
— Thomas Edison