Young Writers Society

Welcome to Hell

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:15 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

The moment the woman and her assistant entered, Carter immediately lifted himself to his feet. He stood, a foot behind the metal bars that separated him from freedom, and listened intently to their offer. He didn't have to think long to know what option he was inclined to.

"While I am grateful for your offer, I have two questions, if you're inclined to answer," he started, his tone flat and emotionless. "What kind of work, and lab rats of what nature?"
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:40 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"The kind of work varies. Engel here can probably give you more details than I can. Retrieval of items, target individuals, infiltration - it depends on what the Mistress Boomslang needs done. Lab nature varies. Skull is probably the key to immortality, or, at the very least, cures for many injuries and ailments that so far humans cannot regenerate from. With Engel, we'd continue where we left off, and you, Carter, would be our, ah....control."
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:07 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

He could just barely hold back the fury beginning to build in his chest.

Be a lab rat, or be a monster. He had been both for Bickerstaff. He had kidnapped. He had ruined other kid's lives, had taken them from their families, and then had no qualms about their families thinking they were dead. (A lie: he could remember the hate in Kitty Jones's eyes as she slammed a magically powered fist into his face, Anthony Lockwood's sobs as his sister was supposedly murdered by intruders, and the way fire had danced on Bartimaeus's fingers as he screamed to "Give Percy back, you b*****!") He had taken part in Bickerstaff's experiments. He had sat beside Jess and Percy and Jay and Flo as they were all hooked up to magical devices and scientific machines, as they were branded with marks that would never fade, and as they tried to combine his magic with theirs.

Lab rats didn't get freedom. Jess, Percy, Jay and Flo had all had to make it for themselves, with a little bit of help from him. Monsters, on the other hand, did. It was Bickerstaff's trust in him that gave him the opportunity to set them all free, and it was Bickerstaff's trust in him that let him see the rest of the world and make decisions for himself.

He would just have to be a monster again.

"I'll work for you," he said.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:13 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Kennewick looked to Carter. "That just leaves you, then."

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:55 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Carter slow-blinked and took a step forward, resting his forehead on one of the bars. "Work."

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:00 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"Brilliant. Apophis, I trust you can handle these three yourself?"

"Of course we can, sweetheart. We managed more before, haven't we?" she smiled to reveal rows of pointed teeth.

He nodded once and departed, leaving the three with the serpent-demon, who unlocked the door to Kratzer's cell first, then Carter's.

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:26 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"So what's my first job?" Skull asked after the man left, his tone cool and emotionless. He was doing his best to hide his anger from showing, but it stubbornly flickered across his face as he glanced down at the dirt and blood underneath his fingernails.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:30 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Carter gracefully took a step out of his cell, falling into place beside Skull. Quietly, he awaited instruction.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:15 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"Before you're going anywhere you're coming with me," she said. "First of all, you need go get suited up, and second of all, we aren't just about to let you loose without precautions. This way." She opened the door and stepped into the hall, glancing back and expecting them to follow.

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:23 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

“Naturally,” was all Carter hummed to himself as he fell into step behind his new coworkers. He resented the idea of being a servant held on a tight leash, but he knew it was a game he’d have to play, and he had to see how things would play out - not that he had much choice in the matter.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:34 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"What's she playing at?" Kratzer grunted, eyeing Apophis suspiciously. "This is bizarre. Even for her."

"Darlin', it ain't nothing you need worry about," she drawled, slipping into the hallway. "Y'all are welcome to try to run but Auryon or I will hunt you down and drag you right back, I guarantee."

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:12 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Skull fell into step behind the group, trying his best to keep the glower off of his face as he stared at the woman's back. He didn't like the thought of whatever "precautions" they might put in place to limit him from escaping. His magic was untameable, and he knew they need it. Which meant it was physical or-

No.

They couldn't have gotten to Jay and Flo. They were smart, and the shop was loaded with a plethora of things that could be used against anyone that tried to harm them. Jay and Flo were alright; as long as he didn't mention their names, he wouldn't even have to consider the possibility of them being overpowered.
mage

queer and here.

Doubt thou the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move. Doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love.
— "Hamlet," William Shakespeare