Young Writers Society

Blind River

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:46 pm
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

"That would depend on the favor asked and the favor granted," Grif said.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:35 am
View Likes
Light_Devil! says...

(7XP for Grif for being cautious and polite.)
(5XP each for Fang, Rydia and Laminated for getting a reply in.)

---

"Well, right now, I can tell either you're all blanking on where you are, what you're doing here, or your convincingly pulling my leg," Alick began with a large grin, "From what I can tell, all of your attire is brand-spanking new."

"So, I figure that means you got some gold on you. I appear to be lacking currency, you see, my trade route... was rather less fortuitous than I had been hoping. Suffice to say, children, I need to sell what I have left and I'm willing to do it for a discount. That's my favour. A discount for some buying. Sounds fair, right?"

With a flourish, he pointed to his wagon, "Whaddya kids say?"
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

A computer once beat me at chess. It was no match for me at kick boxing.

"I wish Homer was my father," - Ned's son.
"And I wish you didn't have Satan's curly red hair," - Ned Flanders.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:05 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

Grif
Spoiler! :
Health: 300/300
Mana: 300/300
Stamina: 300/300
Gold: 100g
XP: 7

Grif looked at the man carefully. What sort of merchant would go out, alone, in a world which was admittedly full of darkness and evil? He was either stupid (in which case Grif would probably shoot him dead) or he was very very very well armed. In either event, the old man would not live if he turned out to be a time share salesmen. There was one further point Grif wanted clarified though.

"So the favor you're asking is that we buy everything on the wagon, at a discount, regardless of whether we need it or not?" Grif asked.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:22 am
View Likes
Redfang18 says...

Declan, lvl 3, Health: 300/300, Mana: 300/300, Stamina: 340/340
(Experience to next level: 95)

Declan thought it over. Chances were he might need whatever the merchant had to offer. He said calmly, "I say let's see what he has to offer. There are different uses to anything. This I just know." He looked to the merchant. "Whatever you have, sir, I'll pay for only those that are within my capacity. To be frank, I might find of use to whatever you have that catches my fancy."
Look down and show some mercy if you can.
Look down, look down, upon your fellow man.

~~~Les Miserables

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:12 am
View Likes
ShootingStars says...

Lvl. 3, Health: 300/300, Mana: 302/302, Stamina: 330/330, Experience to next level: 100

Elira Aalkin
I continued to listen to the conversations buzz around me, still trying to get a grip on my surroundings as I pushed myself onto my knees. I didn't know how long I had been lying on the rough, rugged ground by the river bank, but my back was numb with soreness. My thoughts were clouded, my head throbbed with a splitting pain, and my ears rang. I noticed that I was in different clothing than what I was wearing before I arrived here, but my Elvish bow was still at my side. My vision spun for a brief moment, until I blinked a few times.
The river, the Blind River I recalled the weathered merchant saying, gurgled as its colored water bounced over smooth stones in the wet dirt bed. As I crouched, I could feel the vibrations and movements of the water as it danced and swayed along the rocks.
As the merchant began talking again, pointing to his wagon, every inch of my body told me to ignore him. I should leave and take the few possessions I woke up with, but another side of me forced myself to stay.
I searched through my bag and pockets and discovered I acquired a pouch of gold coins. It wouldn't hurt to see what this man had to offer, right?
When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are. Anything your heart desires will come to you. -Jiminy Cricket

Don't be afraid to jump, to leap, to fly too far and don't be scared to touch the stars!

73 Reviews

Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:10 am
View Likes
Light_Devil! says...

Spoiler! :
(7XP to Shootingstars for getting a reply in and sticking to said character. XD)
(2XP to Grif for still being cautious and questioning.)
(1XP to Laminated, Fang and Rydia as default.)

Alick, Trader, NPC, Blind River Path, (Hidden Quest).

"That's the right attitude, my lad," Alick slapped the back of the young man whose head was hooded, and saw a flash of pale skin and sapphire eyes. Irked somewhat, Alick inconspicuously side-stepped and approached the more normal male again, answering his question.

"Well... not everything. Just enough to tide me by," Alick cackled, "Besides, I think you might be interested in what I'm selling. But, before I show you my wares, I have to ask... what fighting types do you favour? I might have something up your alley. For that matter, what are your classes?"

There was a blank look on their faces.

Smiling like he was dealing with children, he pulled a parchment from his pocket, the old-dusty thing spilling out a cloud of particles as it came out. Alick sneezed and flapped it in the soft breeze drifting by. After he was satisfied, he passed it over to the wary group to let them read.

"I usually keep that to teach new, naive and hopeful adventurers who come by and ask about my wares, but I guess you youngins are pretty close... Come to think of it, it's been a while since I've come across newbies like you," Alick grinned, but the smile faded, "All too scared these days."

Trying to change the mood of the conversation which he had somehow slipped into, Alick began "I'll tell you what, I'm feeling particularly generous today," He paused and mused, then continued with a goofy grin, "If you buy enough, I'll tell you something that might interest you, hmmm?" Alick added, try to entice them.

He was a tradesman, after all.
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:00 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Raven, Lvl 3, Health: 300/300, Mana: 300/300, Stamina: 340/340, Gold: 100.
(Experience to next level: 94)

Gold was a strange concept to Raven and she was astonished to find that the trader was right. There were coins in her pocket. She knew what coins were of course but people of the free folk like herself weren't allowed to carry gold. If they wanted things, pretty things they had to trade for them in goods or services and to be caught carrying gold-

"I don't want mine," Raven said quickly, pushing her hand into her pocket and pulling it out. "I... what have you got that I can have?" See, she wasn't buying. She was giving and the nice trader was hopefully going to give her something in return but if not, then she'd just give him the gold. It wasn't hers anyway. None of this was hers.

Raven edged forward when he brought out the parchment and she studied it for a second. A lot of it looked very confusing! There were a few classes she recognised like the warrior and the mage, no she was neither of those. Not a shadow caster, nor a spell duellist which left just two, neither of which she was certain about. Being a rogue seemed to require that she was accurate though and that didn't sound very like Raven. "I think I'm a Knave, sir," she told the sorc- the mage. It didn't sound like a very good thing and that was what she was. A free-folk, a trapper. She lived in her hut in the woods and she fended for herself, very well thank you very much. But sometimes she wanted pretty things.

Pretty things were hard to find. The city dwellers made them, built them. And it was all very well being allowed to trade goods, but most of those she needed for herself and the city dwellers did ask such a lot for pretty things. Sometimes they wanted only gold, only gold. The gold she wasn't allowed to carry. Raven didn't need the gold. Having the shiny coins was a bigger crime than anything, worse than murder, worse than theft. She'd killed before and stolen before but until now, she'd never held a piece of gold. Until now.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

32 Reviews

Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:16 pm
View Likes
Redfang18 says...

Declan, Lvl 3, Health: 300/300, Mana: 300/300, Stamina: 340/340, Gold: 100
(Experience to next level: 94)

After a long look at the given parchment, Declan took a peek in his sack. Inside was a small purse of gold and a staff. The staff gave him the impression that his skills might involve a little magic. He touched his right cheek where his fingers met his cruciform scar. Knowing the shadow of his hood was hiding both the scar and his face, he thought over what his class might be. The staff made him look at the Hybrid class. His eyes fell on the spell-duelist, which seemed to suit him quite well. He looked at the merchant and said, "I have the feeling that magic might be my calibre, so I could consider myself as a Spell-duelist."

~~~Les Miserables

863 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:10 pm
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

Grif,Lvl 3, Health: 300/300, Mana: 300/300, Stamina: 300/300 ,Gold: 100g (91 XP until next level)

Grif looked at the parchement carefully.

"I'm definitely a rogue," Grif said. He didn't like the look of the trader at all. Grif was convinced that at any moment the friendly trader would unleash a time share sales pitch. Short, guarded sentences would be sufficient until he learned more.

73 Reviews

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:15 pm
View Likes
Light_Devil! says...

Spoiler! :
(Pssst, Fang, you character profile clearly states that you have throwing knives.)
(2XP to Grif, Fang and Rydia for getting a reply in and looking at the parchment.)

Alick cackled, "Ahhh, I see, I see! I might have some items which would interest you three. A knave, you say? Ho-ho! Have I got the thing for you! And a spell-duellist, hmmm? I may just have something left... And a rogue, that's nice, nothing like the good ol' classics. Always have something for rogues."

Alick led the curious bunch over to his wagon and carefully pulled the fabric aside, revealing several interesting items, some of which gleamed and some which promised... curious times ahead. However, Alick quickly let the slide shut and cleared his throat, "Ahem, children. I haven't told you all there is yet."

"Now, some of this is my personal stuff, but I'm also getting old. And I don't have much need for them anymore. Hmmm... before I advise any of you about the items would suit you, what did you say your fighting types were?" Alick scratched at his goatee, "Knaves don't usually carry bows... like you are, but hey, each to their own. I've got a few amulets in the trunk, if that's the case. Also, it doesn't look like any of you have got a shield. And you can't tell me you don't know about the nature of magic," Alick jutted his chin at demon, knowing that more than likely such a creature of magic, no matter how evil, would know about it.
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

32 Reviews

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:36 pm
View Likes
Redfang18 says...

Spoiler! :
Thanks for reminding me. I keep forgeting that.

Declan, Lvl 3, Health: 300/300, Mana: 300/300, Stamina: 340/340, Gold: 100g
(Experience to next level: 92)

Although Declan was tempted to look at magic-related items, he snuck a peek into his bag again and took a good look at his weapon. It wasn't a staff like he thought it was at first glance. It was but several throwing knives tied together. He smacked his forehead for his stupidity, then looked at the merchant. He said calmly, "But on the other hand, I might not be as good of a magical person as I first thought I was." He studied the parchment again, this time carefully now that his head was cleared and in order. He studied the Main class and looked over them carefully. There couldn't be a magical bone in his body, so a Mage was out of the question. Someone else chosen the Rogue class, so he must be a Warrior. It might be the class he truly was, since his armor gave him the more clearer impression of a Warrior. He returned his gaze to the merchant. "If I may ask, is there anything that you might have which can fit a Warrior? Since I don't seem to know any magic, I could assume I actually be a Warrior."

~~~Les Miserables

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:48 am
View Likes
Laminated says...

Eleven, Lvl. 3; Health: 300/300, Mana: 304/304, Stamina: 340/340, Gold: 100g, XP - 8

Right. Wacky guy with a wagon. Magical gold in her pockets. Short sword. Not bad. Eleven felt a bit pushed to the background, so she muscled her way forward and grabbed the parchment from the man holding it. She turned it sideways, back and forth, and flapped it around. "What does this mean? Is it just a feeling or something?" She turned toward the parchment, "Because I feel like a mage."

Eleven peered closer at the wares on the wagon. "What have we got here?" There seemed to be plenty of gold in the sack. Maybe there would be somthing useful.

Spoiler! :
Sorry for taking so long to post again!
I'M GUNNA MAKE DIS PLACE YO HOME

863 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:55 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

Grif, Lvl 3, Health: 300/300, Mana: 300/300, Stamina: 300/300, Gold: 100g (89 XP until next level)

Grif considered his fighting strategy. He liked fighting from distances, this much he knew. What worried him was that if the enemy got close, he would have no back up plan. He didn't know how useful the others would be in a fight, so he would need something to serve him in close quarters.

If he had a knife, he would have something he could use in close quarters; not to mention for crafting new arrows. He might be able to incorporate them into the bow somehow to turn the bow into a melee weapon for anyone that got too close. It would probably be the least expensive to buy.

Another useful item would be a spyglass or a telescopic sight. Something that would improve his accuracy. It would be very useful for taking out targets from long range, as well as scouting out an area for danger. But the amount of skill involved in the construction would make it quite expensive indeed, but it would augment his already impressive ability.

Another interesting option would be some sort of modified shield that could fit over the bow itself. With the right holes, he might be able to shoot from protection; at the cost of reduced visibility and increased weight.

Grif described these ideas in rapid fire sentences to the Trader, who looked at him with wide eyes. Grif couldn't tell if the trader had them in stock, or if he thought Grif was just insane.

73 Reviews

Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:50 pm
View Likes
Light_Devil! says...

Spoiler! :
(Sorry, guys, this has to go on a hiatus. I'm going on a two day camp, so it won't be long. For now, however, have a fun and small thing to reply to.)
(10XP to Laminated, Fang and Grif for getting a reply in.)
(7XP to Rydia and ShootingStars as default.)

Alick blinked in surprise, as the young man mouthed off a whole list of items, some of which he had and some of which he didn't. A large grin formed on his face, "Aha! I've finally run into a rogue that knows what he's all about."

"And hmmm, a warrior, are you? Well, yes, of course I've got stuff for you. And a mage! A lady after my own heart," Alick nodded at her, bowing at the hip, "But you're not sure what being a mage and having magic is about, now are you? Well, a quick thing to understand. Most spells are in your blood," Alick paused trying to get the words together, "When your body understands you're ready for a certain spell, you'll instantly know it. Right?"

He waited for an agreeing nod from at least one of them and then carried on, "Other spells aren't. They have to be learned from masters. I happen to be a master, a bit on the shabby side though. Haven't used my arts in quite a whiles. But for some monies, I will teach you extra spells."

Alick took a breath and then continued, "However, once you set upon a class and you have it sealed in your mind, your body starts to react to magic, depending on what class your mind and body decide to accept. I once came across a mage whose body rejected magic and she had to become a warrior. But, that's the exception," Alick explained, waggling his finger in the air.

"Sometimes your body knows, other times, it accepts the decisions of the mind. It's different for everyone. I started as a mage and I'll probably finish as a mage," Alick commented solemnly, but as jovial as ever he waffled on, "Needless to say, your classes restrict your use of magic at certain points. A warrior will never dual-cast, as his body is on the opposite path of a mage and like-wise a mage may never dual-wield. And sometimes, being of a class which is naturally inclined to magic will awaken different spells in you. Spells which other classes might not ever learn."

The young group of men and women seemed to absorb this knowledge and after a time, he cleared his throat.

"Now, back to the buying. The young rogue seems to know what he wants. What about you, children? If you haven't got an idea, I could give you some advice, if you like. I've been in the trading business quite some time and I understand what works and what'll get you killed. Alright?" Alick's smile did not slip off for a second.
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

32 Reviews

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:09 pm
View Likes
Redfang18 says...

Declan, Lvl 3, Health: 300/300, Mana: 300/300, Stamina: 340/340, Gold: 100g
(Experience to next level: 82)

Declan thought it over carefully. Since he himself knew very little of where he was or how he got here, he needed some kind of advice from the natives of the land. He took a knife from his bag and looked at his reflection on the blade's surface. The cruciform scar on his right cheek was an angry red contrast to his moonlight skin tone and his eyes were like sapphires. The shadow of his hood couldn't hide his face from the reflective surface of the knife. He put the knife back in his bag and sighed, saying concidedly, "Well, since you asked, I think we might need some advice from you. You know this land better than the rest of us do, so it's by my own judgment that you at least tell us what you can as so we ourselves might use your wisdom to our uses." He was beginning to respect the merchant like the latter was some kind of elder who was in need for young ones to teach. Declan would gladly listen, since he needed to learn what he could if he was meant to survive.

~~~Les Miserables

"You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it."
— We Bought A Zoo