Young Writers Society

Outcast

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:22 am
View Likes
SisterItaly says...

Nya

Just the mention of Clans made me upset. I wasn't allowed back there. Ever. Cuddles took this as a sign that is was time to go. He knew how I felt about the clans.
"No, thank you. I was heading home." I mumbled under my breath sadly. I hopped up on Cuddles' back and turned away from the boy, looking towards the ground. I shot him a weak smile from over my left shoulder and urged Cuddles to go. But the Pegasus just wouldn't move.

"It's been ages since you've talked to one of your kind, don't you think it's about time, mi'lady?" he whinnied.
"C'mon Cuddles, lets go!" I whined, nudging his sides with my feet.

*Writer's Block, if you're going to talk to her, remember you're on her left. She won't hear you.*
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:44 am
Threnody says...

Cassia:

They say that everywhere I walk I leave everything dead and frozen. Whenever I breathe I leave a cloud of frost hanging in the air. Well they're right. At least that's what I try and tell myself when I try to suck up my doubts and look intimidating in front of the people I heard by the shore. And anyway, that's what people said about me when they spotted me from their watchtowers with the Hydra. Some people thought I was a spirit that frosted the tips of grass in the morning and parts of the cape in the winter... everyone loves a good scapegoat for a good harvest gone bad.

Well, regardless, there were people around, two different accents, and obviously not sailors or rogue wanderers. I sent the Hydra to investigate. As he rose out of the water I saw 7 different aspects of the same view, a young man and woman spoke quietly to each other... ending in the girl's hurried departure. It had been a while since I had actually held a conversation with someone... did I even know how to communicate with humans in more than a frosty whisper? As I contemplated I heard a startled shout. I closed my eyes again. Oh god, Aysu was not a subtle type, his 7 heads thrashed around as he starting freezing the water around him and approaching dangerously close to the two people. However... another creature... a huge...dragon? blew him backwards with a breath of fire.

Hot damn. I ran out and nearly fell over my own feet as I called out to the people to tell them that it was okay, Aysu was mine and he'd listen to me. They looked up at me in shock.

I didn't think I was that strange looking.... I actually considered myself to be mildly beautiful, compared to the woman in caravans that travelled across the desert, but they stared at me like I was... a ghost. Yes, it was true that in my time alone, I had adopted some of the characteristics of the frosty hydra. The pairbond we experienced was like nothing else I could imagine. It connected us in ways that was unexplainable... though it was a decent warm day, the ground behind me had frozen and where I had spoken was an invisible curtain of cold air.

"Hi... my name's...Cassia." I managed to say, in a loud whisper this time. My name tasted so good, it had been forever since I'd introduced myself like that.
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

66 Reviews

Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:08 am
sylverdawn says...

*I'm working under the assumption that Cassia eavesdropped on the whole conversation. One thing I'd like everyone to keep in mind is that Swift is only two years old. A baby by the standards of magical beats.*

Hunter:

Hunter glanced from one girl to the other. Behind him Swift snarled, his voice a low rumble of thunder, at the hydra. Flames crackling around bared fangs, he flexed his talons, the claw gouging lines in the sandy beach. He had never been around any humans and now there were these odd creatures too. He didn't trust them, didn't want them any where near Hunter. But if Hunter was going to face the human group he needed allies.

Placing a calming hand on Swift, Hunter cocked his head at the girls and asked the one question he knew would get their complete attention. Even the spooked Nya. "Have you girl's Bonded been having nightmares lately?"

Nya twisted around on Cuddle's back to stare at Hunter, who shrugged. Cassia's eyes widened in shock. "Swift wakes up screaming every night lately. Saying 'They're coming.' or 'They'll kill us all.' His mother drove herself to death flying to this continent, she was running from something. Something she was so scared of she killed herself getting her child to safety."

He rubbed the back of his neck self-consciously. "I thought I would warn the Clans. Not that I give a flying fart about them, but Swift might be less frightened then." Hunter blushed as he felt a wave of love roll down the Pairbond from Swift, though the dragon didn't say anything.
DANCE- Like no-one is watching
LOVE- Like you've never been hurt
SING- Like no-one is listening
LIVE- Like it's heaven on earth.

Please read and review my novel. The title is Fireborn. Here's the link.

novel.php?id=1157

324 Reviews

Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:40 am
Threnody says...

Cassia:

I was still unused to using my voice again. Every few seconds I'd get caught on a word and have to clear my throat before continuing in the slightest whisper. It was strange to meet people like this, people who were so obviously like me... people who matched.

"Aysu told me he was caught in a territorial battle up North. When I pulled him from the water he wasn't covered in bites or scratches, but burns and bruises. I've seen what it was that attacked him under water... but I don't know what it was. I saw it seven different ways and it still looked looked like shadows in maelstrom..." I coughed and some strands of hair hanging in front of my eyes froze. Aysu emerged from the water, his scales glistened with icicles. One of his heads leaned against my shoulder. We both felt freezing cold to anyone, but when it's just us together I feel pleasantly warm.

"Well, you suppose we should do something?" The boy, Hunter apparently, said uncomfortably, to break the silence.

I glanced at the dragon who was still glaring warily at Aysu.

"I sort of live around here... in the spring awakening anyway... why don't you come eat something and we can talk about what's going on." I offered awkwardly. I glanced nervously at the sky. It was dark and looked like rain, though monsoon season in the desert wasn't due for another 2 months. It looked almost menacing. I should have been used to it... the weather hadn't been following the right patterns recently, but today... it looked dangerous.
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

66 Reviews

Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:57 am
SisterItaly says...

Nya

I blinked at the two for a moment, unsure of what to say or do. Mostly because the entire conversation they had was on my left side. My deaf side. I squirmed on Cuddles, looking down, then up again before building up the nerve to speak.
"I-I'm sorry, I'm deaf in my left ear... and I didn't hear any of the previous conversation."

My gaze drifted down to Cuddle's grey mane, he just stood there proudly and pretended to understand everything that was happening. I bit my lip and twirled a lock of hair in my fingers, half expecting to be shunned for being deaf in an ear, or for being too shy.

Anything similar to how she was treated last time she was with humans, that's what she was expecting.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

324 Reviews

Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:36 am
Threnody says...

Cassia:

I smiled at her and walked over to the other side.

"Sorry, if I'd have known I would have done that already." I smiled at her, hoping she wouldn't notice the frost that built up on the ground everywhere I went... the dead plants... the cold. I felt bad even talking to her, I knew wherever she came from, plants were important and I killed them all on accident.

She was a really sweet girl, smart looking too. If I knew at all how to act around people we could actually be friends.

"Why don't we head for some shelter... it looks stormy and the worst place to be when a spring storm hits is on the coast."

"Oh, uh, yeah sure..." she replied glancing at the winged horse that would never get off the ground in a storm like this.

"There's travellers coming through these parts around now." I warned her. Travellers meant people to watch out for. We weren't far from New Aster, the high-walled Port of Call in these parts, and the Gilded Road, a secondary trade route. That would always mean rogues and bandits swarmed these areas, awaiting travellers going between cities. I was surprised that there weren't more vultures, lemurs and hyenas around as they were popular animals for a pairbonded thief.

That's an entrance for anyone... they could be traveller or bandit or whatever... :)
~ The Little Prince~

66 Reviews

Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:07 am
sylverdawn says...

Hunter:

Hunter blushed even more fiercely quickly apologizing to Nya as he loaded his soaked packs back onto Swift. As the trio and their bonded walked away from the shore, Hunter kept close to Swift always with one hand on the dragon's flank. Ready to leap aboard and fly away at the slightest hint of danger. He was curious about these girls but that didn't mean he was going to be stupid. Better to be prepared. As Cassia voiced her confusion at the influx of travelers he cleared his throat. "Clanmeet's being held at New Aster this year. That's why Swift and I came, we're planning to speak at the Gathering."

Nya's eyes rounded even more and her voice squeakd. "But you're an outcast right? The Banished Ones have no voice at Clan Gatherings, if they're even allowed in town."

Stubbornly Hunter thrust his chin out, and there was iron in his voice as he spoke. "This is too serious to let custom dictate my actions. If they won't listen, I will make them hear me." "I hope."He added the last part silently so that only Swift could hear him.

Glancing around Hunter laughed suddenly as he noted the girls stiff backs. "Look at the three of us. We're like frightened rabbits, ready to bolt the instant the lion appears. I'm guessing it's been way too long since either of you ladies was around other people."

His comment actually startled a laugh out of Nya, and Cassia grinned at him before she was suddenly serious. "Ahead of us is a place where several roads join up. It's an ideal camping site so there are often bandits or travelers nearby." Her voice was low and rushed as she spoke. "And no offence but the three of us stick out like sore thumbs. Stay on your guard..." She broke of as something crunched in the bushes to their left.

*If no one takes this bait we can just say it's an animal. Also Puzzler my dad is deaf in one ear and he can still hear fine on that side apperantly it just muffles sound and makes it hard to tell what direction the voices are coming from.*

novel.php?id=1157

Reviews: 1
Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:19 am
tolkienrocks says...

Kamau~

Kamau glared up at the sky, which was quickly darkening. The antelope Carabol had killed was only half cooked. Any rain that fell would completely ruin the carefully built fire, shielded from watching eyes by stones. Damp leafs lay over these, preventing smoke that would be sure to draw nearby villagers, or worse. If only the antelope hadn't run this far. He felt vulnerable on the open beach, with no convenient holes or outcroppings in sight. Beside him, Carabol sniffed deeply.

"Men are approaching." the minotaur warned in his guttural tongue, confirming Kamau's worst fears.
"Fight, or flee?" he asked, grabbing up his sword staff from where it lay.
"You know what my answer is." the minotaur replied, making Kamau grin inwardly. At 7 feet tall, Carabol was a formidable force in battle, if impulsive.
"Are they bonded?" he asked in the tongue of the Nomads. Speaking for too long in Carabol's language made his head hurt and his throat sore.
"Yes." The minotaur said. "I only recognize one animal. Not one native to the Savannah."

Through Carabol's memory, Kamau saw a lizard-like creature, seven heads each looking in different directions. For some reason, he also got the impression of winter.
"Well, they've caught us in a perfect trap." Kamau said, twirling his staff. "Shall we go with Plan B?"
Carabol pulled his massive axe from it's shoulder harness. "I was thinking more along the lines of Plan K."
"Really?" Kamau said. "Not what I would have chosen, but alright."

With that, Carabol charged off, warm breath steaming from his nostrils. Kamau collapsed to the ground, concealing himself as best he could under a covering of sand. He watched the events unfold through Carabol's eyes as three humans came into Carabol's sight, along with the seven headed lizard, a dragon, and a winged horse.
“It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:00 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Branwen & Sinopa:

Sinopa, what do you see? I asked, crouched down behind a rock. We were on the edge of the beach, just north of New Alster and Sinopa was out scouting the area in her fox form. She could hear voices up ahead, but none were speaking Melosian. I shivered, glancing up at the sky.

Three clanspeople, Sinopa said, voice low even in my mind. An image of three people, two girls and a boy, with three....creatures....came into veiw. A snake-thing, a horse with wings...and was that dragon? They are pairbonded, she exclaimed, and with others like me!

I blinked, tilting my head to one side. Others like you? I questioned. Sinopa's laugther echoed in my mind. I decided to ignore it for the moment. She'd tell me eventually, and sure enough, she did.

Magical creatures, Branwen, she explained paitiently. Did you think we were the only ones? I sighed, and shook my head. She had a point.

"Alright," I muttered and crept out from behind the rock. Friend or foe? I asked Sinopa. She sent a wave of uncertainity my way and a touch of familiarity. I shrugged. Might as well see what it was all about. I checked the sky again as I crept forward more, tugging a branch down so it wasn't blocking my line of sight. The sky was dark, stormy. And it didn't feel right. I frowned as the trio came into view, from an angle very different to Sinopa's. She must be on the other side of them.

I was about to step out and greet them when a large bull-like thing came charging out of no where. Startled, I made to back up but tripped and sent myself flying forwards. There was a few shotus and yelps of surprise and then I found myself staring into the face of a silver dragon.

"Um.....hi?" I hedged, staring. Sinopa growled, but she didn't move from her position in the treeline. I was surprised no one noticed her, seeing as she was pure white now.
Last edited by ScarlettFire on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:18 pm
Camulaeus says...

I'm assuming I can Jump right in, since no one said anything about my character
~Tarot~

There's no real way to describe the sensation of being water. Physical feelings are irrelevant, conscious thought is near impossible. Everything is fluid, an endless expanse of zero-gravity. I hated it.

Your'e a dead Djinni Sabir I thought to my Bond. The Djinn laughed in my face, swirling through the ocean like smoke.

Your'e the one who wanted to hide from those noises He replied.

Well this isn't exactly what I thought would happen

Sabir smirked again before his eyes widened. I turned (well, as much as a turn a globe of water in the ocean can do) to see the tail of a seven headed beast whipping straight at me. Sabir reacted quickly, changing me back to my normal human state and tugging me out of the way of the scaly limb.

What the heck is that thing? I asked Sabir.

It's a Hydra, but I haven't seen one of those since- Sabir was cut off as the tail came around again, and he was forced to lift me out of the water by my collar. On the beach a boy and a girl stared at the Hyrda in shock, then they noticed Sabir and I and their mouths dropped even further. I think mine did as well as I saw the winged horse and strange giant lizard with wings that stood by them.

A moment passed, then another with just an awkward silence. Finally the boy spoke.

"Hello there"

I offered a weak wave, which Sabir copied.

"Hey......"
With friends and courage one can stand against all foes, for neither man nor God can conquer those who are not alone

"109 in the sky but the pigs won't quit"

GLBT it doesn't matterone thing doesn't change who we are

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:40 pm
DaSpetsnaz says...

I think I'll stay alone for a while, but I'll join up with you eventually.

I can feel the wind rush past my face, I love flying. I look down at Rex and he looks back up and I smile. It had been six years since I had be exiled, thrown into the desert, alone. My grin fades and Rex thinks to me,Something wrong? "No, just memories, can you set down here?" I point to a tree down below and we swoop down. As normal, Rex flies off to hunt while I sit alone. I think about my village. They threw me out because I couldn't pairbond with an animal. I look at Rex flying away and think I'll show them. I didn't need anyone, I had Rex. Conceded in my thoughts, I pull out my two knives and examine them. A rabbit is about ten feet from me but I leave it be. I try to stand, my knives pushes against my heel so I sit down. I pull it out of my boot and then stand up. I quickly lower my bandanna and feel the scar on my forehead. Still real, still so real. Thinking back to the moment I can basically feel the pain. The fur, the fighting, oh, what a horrible memory. I hear a familliar flapping and Rex returns with a rabbit in his mouth. Do you want some? He thinks, but I'm not hungry. "No, you can have it." Before I could finish, Rex already swallowed the whole rabbit. I smile I rest my head down and doze off. It's only morning, but I could use some sleep. My eyes close and I slowly start to drift into my subconscience.
"Is this the real life, or is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality."

-Queen

212 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:01 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Ah, Camulaeus? Did you see my post? Branwen, Nya, Cassia and Hunter are there with their bonded.... There's four, not two....

66 Reviews

Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:06 pm
sylverdawn says...

*Alright I am going to try to set the stage for some action. This can draw everyone into the story, I'm assuming all of us are in the general vicinity of New Aster. Also we Camuleaus we already walked away from the beach. The post is good but maybe you could say wind instead of water.*

Hunter:

Swift snorted in surprise, peering down at the small human girl who had landed between his forelegs. It was all too much for the young dragon. The girl and the bull thing had come out of nowhere and the green man and boy had appeared out of the air. To make matters worse there was a fox snarling in the bushes and another boy sat up in surprise sand cascading off him as he ditched his hiding place. His scales tingled all over, they hadn't done that since his mother died.

The dragon leaped back from the girl and curled around Hunter, emerald eyes glowing in the deepening gloom, his tail lashing in agitiation. Hunter placed a calming hand on his neck and studied those around him. He couldn't blame Swift for being startled it was a lot to take in, and it was all happening so fast.

As he opened his mouth to speak shouts rose from the south towards, New Aster. Hunter peered through the trees but couldn't see anything. He tapped Swift's muzzle and nodded. "Where are they Swift? Are they coming this way?"
The dragon swung his head to peer into the forest, his dragon eyes seeking out heat images so he could see them.

"A large hunting party."He spoke quickly, determined to protect Hunter. Distantly he heard his Rider repeat his words to the strangers in the clearing. He cocked his head, listening intently "They wear the colors of Jalia, New Aster, and Alamac. They say they are looking for the falling star."

At that the dragon broke off his report and slid Hunter a sheepish look. Apperantly his sky dive had been noticeable enough to send a party to investigate.

Exasperated Hunter rolled his eyes, but he continued rubbing his hand over Swift's warm, smooth scales. To others the dragon's hide was unbearably hot but Hunter had always found it pleasantly warm. He turned to the others in the clearing and raised an eyebrow. "So what are you going to do?"

*Ideally I would like at least one of the characters to be captured. Also none of the magical creatures would know Swift, but they could know his mother who was a black dragon.*

novel.php?id=1157

212 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:29 pm
ScarlettFire says...

I volunteer Branwen to be captured. ^^

Branwen & Sinopa:

I blinked and got up, dusting off my rear and running a hand through my hair. "I don't know about you, but Sinopa and I aren't staying here." My words were almost inaudible and the others frowned. I turned to go and Sinopa darted out of the bushes to curl around my legs, almost tripping me.

"Wait," the boy with the dragon said. "You didn't tell us your name."

I paused, glancing toward Sinopa. She smiled her fox-like grin. You should introduce yourself. You've been alone for far too long, she told me, nudging me back towards the others. I groaned but followed her advice.

"My name is Branwen," I rasped, avoiding the boy's gaze. Sinopa stared at him boldly, sniffing at the air.

324 Reviews

Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:41 pm
Threnody says...

Cassia:

"Branwen... you can't let them see you again." I said quietly as the hydra gave me 7 different images of the people. The people of New Aster were perpetually paranoid. Ever since a raid from the North tried to use vehicles that could travel deep under water to claim some southern territory... the reasons were never explained to us, the dreadfully scientific and superstitious people from New Aster and surrounding country sides pretty much thought the water gods were against them. The best way for them fight something they didn't understand, was to use the "magic" released from pairbonds. Basically they tried to seperate a bonded pair and capture the energy. This was ineffective, cruel and totally relied on.

"If they find out that 'falling star' is a pairbonded dragon they'll kill him." I whispered again, petting Aysu on one of his heads nervously.

"I don't believe they do that to people." Someone said defiantly. "It's just a rumour. After all, everyone knows you can't break a pairbond."

"Yes, there's no possible way. New Aster is full of scientists, but none of them know what they're actually doing." Someone added. That was a typical stereotype of the southern waterfront colonies.

"They're getting closer." In fact they were so close to Aysu I could almost smell their breath.
~ The Little Prince~

To answer before listening—that is folly and shame.
— Proverbs 18:13