z

Young Writers Society

Way Out West

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:38 pm
eldEr says...

Sorry for short-ness and lack of quality. I'm trying to squeeze something in while my cousin is here, so it had to be very quick. xD

Esther Black

Esther had spent the first few hours of the morning inside of her wagon, away from the chaos and the panic. She was busying herself with that book of hers, using her second pen on the trip to write with. She was nervous - afraid, even. So much had gone wrong already, and now Jake was dead.

Not that Esther had known much about Jake, mind you. No... Esther had avoided him as much as she could. Either way, he was dead now, and after the disappearances, people were getting worked up. "They have reason to be getting worked up," she whispered to herself, setting her pen and notebook aside. She hadn't written much, considering how long she'd been hidden away in the wagon, but her mind was unfocused.

She rose slowly from the wagon floor and brushed off her dress, trying to smooth out multiple wrinkles. Chaz was still outside, and it was making her even more nervous. The last thing she wanted to do was step out in the midst of all of the chaos, but she couldn't stay locked away all day.

She climbed out of the wagon carefully and took a deep breath. It didn't take long to spot Chaz - he standing a few yards away with another group of men, and judging by the tones of their voices, they were discussing things that were of importance. The thought unnerved Esther. What if something else had gone wrong already?

She sighed and made her way over to the group - a bit timidly - and tapped her brother's shoulder with her forefinger. "Any news?" she asked quietly, glancing at the others out of the corner of her eye.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:35 pm
SisterItaly says...

Chaz

I didn't like this, not at all. Four people dead already, and we should have reach the town by now. So now we all stood around wondering what to do, because it was obvious the leader of the caravan didn't know where we were, but he refused to go back. I felt a tap on my shoulder.
"Any news?" asked Esther.

I smiled warmly and wrapped her in a hug, swinging her around. She giggled happily and held on tight, even though she knew I wouldn't drop her. Not ever.
"We're not sure yet darlin', but we're positive that we're not on the right track. We shoulda hit the town ages ago." I whispered, kissing her forehead protectively.

I didn't like the looks of this at all. Who knew what could be waiting for us out there?

Anna

I pulled the blanket over my head when I heard someone enter the covered wagon. I didn't have permission to be here, and my father probably had a reward for my safe return. I wasn't going back any time soon. Not if I could help it. I yawned and hid myself from view, a few hours sleep wouldn't hurt right?

I hadn't been sleeping much since I went into hiding. I was too afraid of being found.

*Murr, Anna's is so short. But I'm sooo tired.*
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:09 am
Sunshine says...

Emily Wilde

Dead. Another man dead. It had to be Jake, of all people on this wagon train. He was such a sweet man, never did a thing wrong. Why? The light dances off the inside of my crowded wagon, me curled up in a fetal position on a small chair. I probaly should go back outside and smile like a true lady and prove that I wasn't scared. The truth of the matter... I WAS. More scared of anything than I'd ever been before. No, that was a lie. There had been but one person who scared me even more than this. A small shiver goes up my spine, same as it does every time I think of him. Who could have known? I push myself from the chair and stand amoung the clutter. I didn't know what was truly going on and I didn't need to. I just needed to shake it off and leave it in the by-gones. I step from my caravan, landing with a soft thud on the dusty ground. A group of men stood to my side, Esther with them. She and Chaz were talking to each other in muted whispers. At least they have each other. I have no one. Not a soul to protect me, no one to care for me. Such pleasant thoughts. I shake them from me, like leaves from a tree. No thoughts like that should cloud my mind. We will hit Serenity Gultch soon and all should be well. I glance around, not fully wanting to join the group gathered by the set of hills but not knowing what else to do. I walk over toward the group of men, not fully looking where I was headed. That's when I feel someones body crash aganist mine, sending me to the dusty ground.

Best way to meet people. Run into them. ;) Anyway, can be anyone.
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:39 am
PhoenixBishop says...

Sorry for the horrible grammar before. I did this on my phone. I fixed most of it now though.

Seb-

Sebastian was tired. The constant need to deal with people had drained him, but to stay in his wagon while such a major event was in progress would be unwise. He sat up and ran his hands through his fingers, breathing out deeply. He counted to ten and the introverted Sebastian vanished replaced by the outgoing version.

He got out of his wagon. Everyone was milling around in various groups, all talking about the death. Sebastian felt bad for Jake; he had been such a nice guy. Sebastian had talked to him a few times and for the most part Sebastian didn't need to act like he was friendly. He was easy to talk to. Sebastian headed for the main group of people talking, where Chaz was. They seemed to be having a serious talk about the situation rather than the meaningless gossip that the others seemed to be talking about. Sebastian could handle social interaction with others if the topics made sense to him, but silly gossip was one thing he had yet to learn.

He bumped into a woman and nearly knocked her over. He caught her by she shoulders as she fell back. He of course didn't have time to congratulate himself, because at the precise moment as if his nerves and luck decided to gang up on him he sneezed in her face. The abrupt sneeze cost him to loose his grasp on her and she hit the dusty ground. All of this happened in the span of seconds and Sebastian stared down at the girl for a moment in horror.

"Oh gosh, I'm so sorry," he took her hand and helped her to her feet and handed her a cloth from his pocket. "I'm so so sorry."

She wiped her face with the cloth and then dusted off.

"This climate messes with my allergies," he said.

Sebastian’s face was two shades of red he had no doubt. Now that she was standing he could look at her better, she had long auburn hair. She was pretty, and he had sneezed in her face. . . .
Last edited by PhoenixBishop on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:06 am
RedBird says...

Nick,

I'm sitting with my back to the wagon I'm riding, looking at the group of people discussing the death of Jake. Just thinking about it makes my fists clench. He'd been such a good guy, so easy to get along with. And now, for apparently unknown reasons, he was dead. Just like that. Dead. I shake my head. Why do things like this always happen to good people? It's just like it was back at the orphanage. Good kids nearly beaten to death, just 'cause our overseer was a crazy bastard who enjoyed seeing pain. Such horrible things.
I sigh, clearing my head of such depressing thoughts. I had thought that I could keep to myself for the most part, but that idea has quickly died. We're all in this together, to the end. And it's looking like that's going to be a mite bit more dangerous than it was before, what with all these deaths.
I stand and begin to walk towards the group, where I can see Chaz and Esther, who are some of the nicest people I've met on this trip. I'm not looking where I'm going, and so I accidentally trip over someone's leg, a girl's leg. I stumble and turn back to apologize. The girl is looking slightly annoyed, having just turned away from a man who's standing over her, looking extremely embarrassed.

"Sorry," I say, smiling apologetically, "Wasn't looking where I was going."
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:09 pm
*singerofthenight* says...

Sorry, but can someone bring me in?
"Hello, is this thing on?"

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:12 pm
eldEr says...

Singer, if you want to be brought in, could you please ask in the DT? Also, you're in a caravan, it's not that hard to find a way to weave yourself into the story. I'll try, though.

Esther Black

Esther sighed, inching even closer to her brother as she glanced around the group. Among the men were Sean, Lucas and Cooper. There were a few of the girls standing around as well, and Esther managed to offer each one a slight smile. She looked up at her brother and let out a sigh.

"I just hope we get to Serenity Gultch soon," she said quietly, "I wanna get settled into a real home soon."

Truth be told, Esther didn't know if she could pull through another week of train-life. It was grueling as it was, and the delays were getting everybody stuffy. The lack of supplies, the sore feet, and now they had to worry about murders. Esther shuddered, wishing the thoughts away.

They weren't going to die. She and her brother would both make it back safely, and they'd be perfectly fine. Right? Yes. She sighed again and swallowed a lump in her throat.

Joseph

Joe had long left the conversation that Chaz and Lucas were holding up. The last thing he wanted to hear about right now was a thing about a murder. Not that it could be avoided, but Joe was sick of the bad news. We're going to arrive in Serenity Gultch any day now! Hold out just a few more days!

That had been the first thing to go wrong.

And then Alicia had disappeared... and to think that Joe had almost had her wrapped around his finger. He had been so close - so very, very close. Then it had been the twins. Not that he had had much to do with the pair, but they seemed like decent people from what he could tell.

He shook his head, scrunched up his nose and headed for his wagon. Had he not just attempted to push all of those thoughts from his head? Why, pray tell, was he thinking about them again? Attempting to lighten his own mood a bit more, he started to whistle. It always had been a nervous habit of his.

Finally, he was near his wagon. A small thing, but it didn't require much to get it going, which was good as far as Joe could tell. He pushed the door open, climbed up and removed his hat, tossing it carelessly to the floor. He looked up, frowning at his make-shift bed in the corner. Was that... no. No way had anybody gotten into his wagon while he was gone.

He furrowed his brow and made his way towards the bed as silently as possible, unsure of whether he should smirk or start when the lump under the sheets tensed. He hovered over it for a moment, hesitating. What if it was the murderer? Or somebody trying to steal the supplies the group was oh-so-short-of? He took a deep breath and peeled away the sheet.

A slow, but sure grin curved on his lips. A terrified, very pale, face was staring back up at him, eyes wide. "Well, well, well, what do we have here, hm?" Joe snickered, straightening and crossing his arms. Well, if you have to find any rat in your wagon, it may as well be a female rat, right?
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

66 Reviews

Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:03 am
SisterItaly says...

Anna

I had been just dozing off to sleep when something shook the wagon. I tensed up when I heard footsteps, announcing the arrival of someone in the wagon. I could hear my hear pounding in my ears as the footsteps approached. Each step was like an echo of fear through my very soul. I licked my lips and begged whoever it was to just leave. I almost threw up when the blanket came flying off of me.

My eyes met the mans. His face changed right from a mix of curiosity and worry to pure satisfaction. His eyes trailed down my body before he finally spoke.
"Well, well, well, what do we have here, hm?" his voice chimed, mocking me. Mocking my weakness and fear.

I tried to scream but all that came out was a muted squeak and a breathy noise. He smiled wider and advanced on me. I panicked and ducked under his arm, heading for the exit. Something wrapped around my waist and pulled me back. I felt fear climbing back up my throat.

"Why don't you tell Joe your name, pretty thing?" he whispered slyly, sending chills down my spine. I pushed him off of me and fell back, knocking over some pots and causing a commotion.

Chaz

I was about to ask Esther something, when suddenly a loud crash came from one of the wagons... Joe's wagon. And Joe wasn't with us. My first worry was that the killer got Joe.

I rushed over to his wagon and jumped on the back, for a moment I hesitated before entering... what if the killer was still in there? If the killer got Joe there would be no saving him. And I wasn't about to get myself killed for a dead person.

"J-Joe? You okay?" I called to him.

There was a raspy breath before he shouted back to leave him alone. I flipped the wagon flap open and climbed in to see Joe scooping a terrified - and fighting back - girl off of the floor. For a moment we all stood perfectly still, heads swinging from looking at one to the other, before the girl finally fell to her knees and started crying. I covered my eyes with the heel of my hand and shook my head at Joe.

"What did you do to her?"
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

The Book.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:48 am
Sunshine says...

Emily Wilde

"This climate messes with my allergies," he said.

I give my face one last wipe and peer around it to see the man standing in front of me. My dear lord. He was handsome- soft gentle green eyes and ruffled brown hair. He looks at me, his face burning red, like a forest fire. I wish I could say something rude, but my body will not gather the strength to say something mean to this gentle looking man. Besides, it was mearly a sneeze. I muster up a small smile and hold the cloth in the air.

"It's fine. It happens to everyone."

He gives me a smile of relief, but I can tell he doesn't fully believe me. I do not blame him, of course. I give him another soft smile, wishing I could feel around my space for any wet spots. Nay, that would be rude and such a horrid idea... I study the man again. He has a faint, weary smile, the one that always seems to appear on your face when you've been through hard times. The red on his face seems to be fading and I realize I don't know his name. " I don't believe I've seen you before. I'm Emily Wilde."

"Sebastian," he pauses before adding his last name," Hamen."

He sticks his hand out and I take it. His grip is firm but gentle. I'd never heard his name before, but he could not be bad, not the way he spoke. I could swear I heard an accent of some sort, but one couldn't be sure. There's a long pause between Sebastian. "So you really don't mind that I -er- sneezed in your face."

A small, doubting smile tungs at my lips. Of corse I did mind. It was a sneeze, filled with...my body locks itself in place. Germs. Sticky, disgusting, sickening germs. All over my face, sinking into my skin. Growing moldy and dirty while... Stop that, Emily Renee Wilde. There was a man in my presence, one who was looking at me with a handsomely worn face and deep green eyes. For being a lady. I promise myself, steering my thoughts away from germs, germs, germs.

"Of course." I cough out.

He nodds and there's another pause, a more peaceful one. Sebastian gestures around us, to where many were around talking.

"There's quiete the stir-up around camp, isn't there?"

"With good reason. Yet another dead, who shall be next?"

I meant for my statement to sound brave and fearless but instead my voice shakes with a deep buried fear. I truly hope that Sebastian didn't hear it.
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:56 am
Loller65 says...

Sean

I walked to my wagon. The others had room to actually lay down in theirs. I had packed mine with supplies. I was determined to make it to this Serenity Gulch place and from there make it to Oregon and find a girl and settle down. Start up a farm, a family. I peered into the back of my wagon, checking to see that my barrels of bacon and flour hadn't been filched from. satisfied, I next checked my sacks of sugar and cases of whiskey. Lastly, I made sure my trusty double barreled shotgun was safe hidden under my stacks of cast iron cooking pans. It was okay. Good. I drew my revolver and headed of the trail. I quickly thumbed six rounds into the cylinder and braced myself. I squeezed off a round, which hit the tree, sending bark and wood pulp flying. The gunshot would undoubtedly draw attention. I didn't care. I took a few more shots before a large Negro ran towards me.

"What in the hell're you doing?"

I shrugged.

"Target practice. Figure if we got a murder on the loose, I might make sure I can shoot him if he comes after me."

He glared at me and stomped off. I reloaded my pistol and started firing at the tree. After twelve more rounds, I was satisfied and returned to my wagon.
"There are no absolute rules of conduct, either in peace or war. Everything depends on circumstances."

-Leon Trotsky-

83 Reviews

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:03 pm

Giselle:

Humid. That's how the air felt as she crawled out of her wagon. Though small, it suited her fine. She wasn't one for material things, so she never complained. Watching through narrowed eyes, she took in the scene before her. People were scattered about, going about the days buisness. A man, though not overly large, was heading back to what appeared to be his wagon after firing off shtos at a tree. A closer look revealed the man could pass for being hansome. Rolling her eyes, Giselle climbed off the wagon, glancing around for anything interesting. With nothing in sight, she walked to teh edge of the camp, where the grass had grown a few inches. Never one for lady-like manners, Giselle plopped down with a huff, crossing her ankles to her side and resting her head in her palm, looking over the open prairie. This was truely going to be a long ride.

Cooper:

He watched with a scowl on his face, glarign at the sun. It seemed to be determined to bear its heat down upon him. Shifting his glare to the right at the hint of movement, he saw a girl with long brown hair plop to the groud and nearly grinned. Glancing back to the guys infront of him, he tried to listen to the conversation, but ended up bowing his head in disgust and heading to his wagon. This train was going to be the death of him, he was sure of it. Glancing over his shoulders at the girl again, he nearly gasped when he collided with a body. Angry with himself, he cursed, his gray eyes narrowing as he turned to face the person. His eyes widened as he took in a beauty before him.
Last edited by *singerofthenight* on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:58 pm
TexanWriter says...

--Humility--

I looked out across the plains and groaned inwardly. There wasn't a single tree from where I stood to the horizon, and there might not be for weeks, maybe even months. I thought about those coming months. With our train having so many "special circumstances" we had been moving pretty slow. I had heard that the cold was merciless down here; with no wood to burn, our next circumstances might not be too special.

I turned around and started walking back to camp, stooping to pick up kindle whenever I saw some that looked fairly dry. Never before I had joined the train had I started a fire, but I had quickly learned that damp, mossy wood wouldn't do. This wood would have plenty of time to go mossy. By the time I had etched the camp, my arms were loaded to my chin and my lungs icy. I must have gone farther than I had thought. People were scattered around in small groups, chattering like sparrows and tripping over each other. I decided to take the long way around to the wagon I shared with a polite couple; better that way to avoid being questioned about my load.

Even taking the longest route I managed to find people. There stood a single wagon, the smaller kind of lone travelers, and its rider. I could have sworn the wagon wasn't there before. Nevertheless, it was there now. I would just quietly walk by and he wouldn't notice me...

My eyes dropped down in the childhood reasoning of, "if I can't see him, he can't see me". Before I knew it, I had walked straight into something. My kindling fell to the ground and I heard an oath. I looked up to see a man, the man I had so carefully avoided turning to glare at me. His glare quickly changed to surprise. I though I should say something, but my mind went blank, as usual. All I could think of was his oath. I smiled slyly and said, "I'm-I don't bi-believe I'm f-familiar with... With that-that term, sir."

Oh, Lord. It had come out worse than usual.
Religion without science is lame; science without religion is blind.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.

-Albert Einstein

83 Reviews

Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:29 pm

Eh...this is going to be a bit short:( not a lot of time...

Cooper:

He swore again, and cursed himself as the ladys face flushed bright red. Jamming his big hadn through his ruffled hand, Cooper grimanced, casting an apologetic smile to the lady.

"My dear lady, please excuse me." he mumbled, watching her face for a reaction.

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:39 am
phantom of the potter says...

**Correct me if I'm wrong and/or this post makes no sense.

Abbie

Abbie sighed as she set aside her embroidery. The wagon train had been stopped for a very long time; Abbie wondered what had held it up. Smoothing her skirts, Abbie ducked out from under the shady cover of her wagon and out onto the dirt trail. Abbie glanced around as she carefully tucked a stray strand of hair in her bonnet.

Nothing seemed directly out of place. Abbie could see no broken wheels or axles, no spilled supplies. Certainly, Abbie felt the tension in the train. Everyone - including Abbie - had been set on edge after the most recent murder. More than once, Abbie had needed to steel her emotions and push forward on the trail. It was far too late for Abbie to turn back, and she knew that everything would be fine once she found Walter. The train must be nearing the town, anyway, Abbie told herself. Abbie knew that Walter could find their train any day now, while he was out hunting or cutting timber for their new home.

Abbie sighed. She wanted to be home, whether with Walter or her father. She had spent far more time on the trail than she anticipated. And the wilderness had begun to take its toll on her.

Abbie's eyes landed on a group around one of the smaller wagons. The man just outside the wagon was shaking his head, hand over his eyes, his mouth twisted in what Abbie thought was disgust.

"Oh no," murmured Abbie. Not another murder. Abbie quickly went to join the group around the wagon. She stood on her tiptoes to peer over one man's shoulders. Abbie breathed a sigh of relief to see that the occupants of the wagon were alive and well. It took a moment for Abbie to register that the girl was sobbing.

"Found her hidden away in here," said the man standing over the girl lazily. "Seems like we've had a stow away for some time. I was just - ah - figuring out what to do with her."

"That doesn't seem to be all you were doing," replied the other man stiffly. He locked eyes with the man in the wagon, who had some sort of horrible, amused smirk playing on his face. Abbie's gaze fell down to the woman in the wagon, whose face was now streaked with dirty tears, thick from the dust on the trail. Abbie's heart went out to the girl. Abbie steeled herself, staring down at her feet for a moment before looking up and purposely meeting the girl's eyes.

"Come on, deary," Abbie murmured softly, avoiding the gaze of any of the men. "We can go to my wagon and get you cleaned up, if you like."
"The grasshopper!... Mind the grasshopper!... A grasshopper not only turns, it hops!... It hops!... And it hops jolly high!" ~Erik, The Phantom of the Opera

66 Reviews

Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:37 am
SisterItaly says...

Chaz

"She won't speak to us, maybe you'll have better luck, Abbie." I nodded at her.

I helped the pale stowaway to her feet. As soon as I handed her off to Abbie, Joe turned to close the flap. I raised my hand and held it up. Joe turned to me, with a confused look on his face. Did he really think he was getting out of that stupid move this easily?

"You an' me needa have a little talk." I glared hard at him.

He flopped down on his bed and looked up to me with that look teenagers always have. That look that said ya ya, shut up and get this over with. I snarled quietly and looked down at him, hitting him sharply over the back of the head.

"You need to quit that. You had that youngin' scared so bad she cried. Don't you ever think be'fore you act?"

He shrugged. I groaned and stomped out, looking for someone half competent to talk with.

Anna

The lady helped me to her wagon, silent the entire time. I wanted to thank her, but it seemed these people didn't quite get what my hand signals meant. She handed me a handkerchief and I wiped my face. I had been so worried that they would recognize me, then send for for my father.

She didn't.

"So, are you going to give me a name...? Anything?" she asked, "I'm Abbie. Just so you know. And there isn't any reason to be upset, or afraid."

I blinked and pointed to my throat again. I wondered if she would finally get what I meant.

The Book.

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
— Charles Mingus