z

Young Writers Society

The Defenders of Jiran (RPG)

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:14 am
sabradan says...

Captain Jack McMannus was sitting at his favorite pub, with his favorite wench (We can say that, right?) for he frequented this island often, to rest his weary legs after long voyages at sea. He was drinking his favorite bottle of rum, thinking about all the plunder that lay aboard his ship, the Unafraid, which lay at anchor in a well-hidden, nearly secret grotto. He had nearly finished his third bottle of rum, when he saw an unfamiliar ship coming towards the shore, and the villagers began running towards the dock to meet her.

Naturally, Jack's curiosity got the better of him, so he too went out to see who was in the ship that got such a great welcome committee, so to speak.

Jack turned to a scrawny young boy and asked him,
"What ship is that, and why is everyone going out to meet it?"
The boy looked at him as if he may have had leprosy, and said,
"Oi, thet thare is the Sheild. She's the greatest ship's evah sailed these wah'ters. She just came from a patro' out again' de guilds, she has."
"Thank you, Lad," Jack McMannus said.

(Note: I was trying to write the boy as he had an accent, I really do know how to spell. Also, I made him a NPC, is that okay?)
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:04 am
Snoink says...

Ha! I claim the politician! *starts cackling*

Um... okay.

William Cooper
Nickname: Billy
Height 6'3"
Eyes: Gray
Hair: Light Brown

And of course, nice teeth.

As you can see from his age, Billy is young. Right now, he is serving as an junior politician and working directly with a more well known politician Stanley Davidson, who is serving as a governor in one providence that has been particularly hit hard by the pirates. Filled with youthful enthusiasm, he enters politics with the goal of bringing peace to the providence and putting the bad guys in prison. As of yet, he is not quite sure what kind of man Stanley Davidson is, but he is enthusiastic to meet the man who has given back so much to the community. He perceives Stanley as being his ultimate role model and desires to be in the good graces of this powerful man, who is so respected and honored in the community.

You'll get to know Stanley later on. :P

He has a girlfriend, her name is Charisse, and they're in a pretty serious relationship. She is studying to be a doctor, specializing in magical ointments.

Good?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:23 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Good.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:48 pm
Gazza_14 says...

Ok, here goes- no one laugh....

Name: Roka Marleton
Species: Human
Special Powers: Psychic ability, the power to occasionally move objects with his mind.
Counter Balance: His splitting headaches often interrupt the signals he gets.
Bio: Roka had a had, life which has evolved him into the gruff, emotionless young man he is today. Normally one to stay out of the limelight, he now feels a sudden urge to avenge his mothers untimely death. He is painfully blunt, but does have emotional weaknesses.
Stop. Look. Jive!

863 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:49 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Instead of making him unemotional, I'd make him over-emotional. This over-emotion could be a result of his powers and can also serve as a counter-balance. Besides, characters without emotions are scarcely characters at all. ;)

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:57 am
Gazza_14 says...

Thanks, that's a really good idea. But I've already planned his misty past, and decided that it would actually make someone more thick-skinned and unwilling to release emotions that to make them violent and over-emotional. When I say emotionless, I obviously don't mean empty of all emotion, just unwilling to show it to anyone. Which makes him a very lonely person.
Anyway, when are we gone start?
Stop. Look. Jive!

147 Reviews

Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:47 pm
sabradan says...

Gazza_14 wrote:Thanks, that's a really good idea. But I've already planned his misty past, and decided that it would actually make someone more thick-skinned and unwilling to release emotions that to make them violent and over-emotional. When I say emotionless, I obviously don't mean empty of all emotion, just unwilling to show it to anyone. Which makes him a very lonely person.
Anyway, when are we gone start?

You can start whenever. Just post your first post, introducing your character to get started.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

863 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:45 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Another post!

~Jayden Al'ar~

"Mr. Al'ar, I need your perspective," the Captain said to me. I landed next to him in a professional manner and followed him down the gang plank. A large crowd had gathered, most cheering the crew, while a few, probably those that had observed the removal of the wounded or the large holes in the ship, were of a more somber attitude. When the Captain waved, the crowd went nuts. He decended the gang plank, to go down to the people, I followed him down slowly, tricks like this had been used to draw the Defenders off their guard, which had cost a few men. The Captain appeared to live for it though, but I kept back just the same.

I quickly realized it would be difficult to stay with him, so I decided to catch up, which was difficult. I finally was by the Captain, who was chatting with some of the local authorities. We entered the door, which was promptly shut behind me. I was instinctively watchful, it could still be a trap.

I sat and watched the two men exchange conversation.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:09 am
Areida says...

'Kay, so we said Ivy's on the Shield, no?

~Ivy Llywes~

Ivy was feeling put-off by all the noise around her. She didn't like crowds, which was part of the reason she adored sailing on the Shield. It felt crowded from time to time, but nothing like the suffocating feeling she experienced when so close to a great number of people.

"Cap'n's going ashore."

She glanced at the young man standing next to her. "Extra rations for noting the obvious, Drasen." She was leaning against the railing, watching the crowd calling and waving frantically.

He grinned. "Touchy, eh, Ivan?"

"You might say that." She really wasn't in the mood for him. Drasen Randell, the black-haired sailor, had a good face for cards, but not for much else. He was cocky and oozed unctousness.

"Ah, you'll get your land legs in no time," he said, clapping her on the shoulder. Ivy's temper was rising, but she bit her tongue to keep it under control.

"Aye. That I will." She walked off, leaving a somewhat mystified Drasen in her wake.

She picked a new spot on deck, further away from the other sailors. She resumed her old position of leaning against the wooden ship, leaning her head in her hand. She realized then what a feminine position it was and quickly adjusted her legs so they were slightly sprawled, then concentrated on changing her face. Her eyes closed for no more than a split second, but when they opened, anyone who could have thought her slighlty feminine would have shook their head and passed it off on her being a scrawny boy.

A little girl sitting on her father's shoulders, waving frantically, caught her attention. She looked away. Ivy hated crowds.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:45 am
Snoink says...

*William Cooper*

Perhaps it was stupid, but I was nervous. I straightened out my jacket carefully and looked around at the pirates, only wrinkle the jacket back up. They did not seem to want to talk, and I was too jittery to begin.

They did not look like the typical swash-buckling pirates that one gets accustomed to in the stories. Although their clothing was poor and some of them wore rags, most of them were wearing t-shirts covered up with jean jackets. I cleared my throat, but one particular man was watching me with a keen look on his face.

"What are you staring at?"

I blinked. "What do mean?"

"Are we bad-looking?" His face was permanantly formed in a scowl, and I stepped back. Several of the pirates began to laugh.

"Please sirs," I said quickly, trying to put on a smile. "I do not mean to offend. That would be the last intention of mine..."

"Then why is it the first to come out?" The man scowled even more. I blushed.

Suddenly Stanley came in. Stanley was a big, plump man with a round red face and a giant smile. He was dressed in the latest fashions of the day, and swung a large gold watch around. The pirates suddenly calmed down, and the one who had been talking to me looked on the ground. "Sir..." one of the pirates began. Stanley ignored him.

Instead, he looked at me and grinned. "How ya doing, Billy?"

"Fine sir," I said, lookiing around at everyone who was there. A gryphon suddenly lit came through the door and began staring down at us.

"So, what were ya talking about, Billy?"

"Nothing at the moment, sir," I said. Stanley looked at the pirate, alarmed.

"Do ya mean you haven't started talking yet? What a shame! Why doesn't someone get the spirits, and we have a peaceful discussion of things?" The pirates began to cheer. I stared in horror at Stanley.

"Sir," I hissed to him, "this may not be a good idea."

"Of course it's a good idea. The best." He winked at me. "Rounds for everyone!"

I stared.

Sorry this is so horrible, guys! I'll be better later... honest.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

863 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:25 am
Griffinkeeper says...

~Jayden Al'ar~

The men had a drink, before they got down to business. I took that time to examine them. The politician and the Captain were both chatting like brothers, but they were both acting, each other was trying to find the others character for any weakness. The other person seemed to be a pirate at first glance, but after a second glance I decided he wasn't a pirate. He didn't drink with the men nor did he engage in conversation, which was quite colorful and graphic in content. He must have been some dignitary or aide.

With the first round over, they sat down.

"Tell me my dear Captain, how does a single ship destroy two pirate vessels?" the politician said, beginning the conversation.
"We call them Guilders, Stanley. They are much better equipped then any renegades you find on the high seas. As for destroying the ships, that is no small task." The Captain took a large sip from the glass before he started detailing the battle.

"We didn't engage them simultaneously you understand. We engaged one at port. We destroyed the ship and it is currently resting at the bottom. Before it sank though, there was a great deal of smoke. I decided to take the ship out, where we met another vessel, which gave us our present damage. He was a tough guy. They shot some nails at us, which injured many of my crew. The hit the main mast also, which damaged it heavily. We took him out well enough though." The Captain finished his glass and began refilling it.

"I am a little confused, why are pirates at war with pirates?" the young man asked. I started but stopped when the Captain said, "That will do Mr. Al'ar," in a very quick and sharp tone.

"I forgot to introduce these men to you Billy. These are members of the mercenary group known as the Defenders. These men are top notch and are no pirates. Besides, if they were we would hardly be talking with them would we?" the Politician said smoothly. The young man blushed.

"So, what can our happy little island do for you?" the Politician asked.

"I'd better explain our problem first," the Captain said. He drank a little and put down a glass.

"First, we have to replace our main mast. This means we need at least a day to repair it, with the full cooperation of your carpenters. Also we have reports that eight Guild ships are approaching this island. We will need you to declare a state of emergency and allow the formation of a militia here. My crew can train them a little so that if we have an invasion they wont' be overrun. Along with this is the usual cargo of food and water." the Captain said.

"Eight ships!" the Politician exclaimed.

"Of course I will see to it that the public is notified. If you'll excuse me."

"I understand, I must also oversee the operations on my ship. Mr. Al'ar, if you are quite ready." He opened the door and we went back to the ship.

147 Reviews

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:09 am
sabradan says...

Captain Jack McMannus heard this captain boasting about how HE had destroyed both ships, all by himself--just his ship and crew. He had originally just come for the booze, and to hear the gossip,but he couldn't keep his mouth shut.

"Now wait just a goddamn minute! Thats a broadfaced lie, and you know it, whats more you damn scurvy dog!" Captain McMannus said, loudly, holding a bottle of Rum. "Who in the bloody hell do you think you are, taking credit for all that! If it weren't for me, you'd all be at the bottom of the briney deep right now, so I'd give the credit where its due--to me an'my crew!" He continued yelling, swaying from all the alcohol.

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

863 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:02 am
Griffinkeeper says...

~Jayden Al'ar~

The entire bar stopped talking.
"There were no Imperial ships in the vicinity and there certainly no Defenders there either," the Captain said.
"That you knew of," the other man said.
"Indeed. The second ship was sunk by a long range volley from another ship, after we crippled it. Mr. Al'ar, do you remember seeing the flags on the ship?" the Captain said.
"It had a skull and crossbones on it, sir," I replied.
"So what does this make our friend?" He asked. I stopped, confused. Was I supposed to do something about this pirate? What was the Captain doing?

147 Reviews

Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:17 am
sabradan says...

"So, ya see, laddy, that you didn't do it alone!" Jack said, loudly and drunkenly. "And its a good thing, we helped you, too, isn't it? If we hadn't ye'd all be at the bottom of the briney deep!" he said, stumbling over his barstool.
"Sorry, I'm really drunk, for we gave up a good booty to help yer pitiful boat from being blown outta the water," he said.

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:19 am
Snoink says...

OOC: Is Sab with Grif and me? I'm confused...

sweet mother of asparagus
— GengarIsBestBoy