z

Young Writers Society

The Magicians' Guild

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:43 pm
Kylan says...

Maverhov watched the pair impassively as they eased their way into his warehouse office, looking as if they were treading on holy ground. Stepping carefully, as if someone had come before them sprinkling holy water onto the wooden planking. Maverhov hid a smile. It was ridiculous. They all treated him as some demi-god of the under world. He had the sudden impulse to shout that he was just like them. That he would gladly fight for them, with them, beside them.

They were in this together, after all.

But he kept silent. Certain illusions had to be maintained. The ‘thieves’ needed a figurehead. And he had to act like one.

So the girl had bypassed a magical barrier…

To Maverhov, the whole incident reeked of magic. There were two possibilities. Either the wizard had let down his defenses by coincidence or the girl could command the magical elements so she could force a rock through the magician’s field. Useful, in any event, but disturbing. Magic was a plague. Bad blood. Evidence that one’s ancestors had wallowed in filth. Had made unholy pacts with demons and non-humans. Such people required ‘termination’. Weeds need to be pulled, magic needs to be eradicated.

Maverhov shoved the thoughts away, though. He would decide whether or not the girl was a blood traitor. There was always the possibility it was all a misunderstanding.

He eyed the two as they entered.

He knew Barkus already. Unfortunately. The man was pompous, arrogant, proud, and worst of all, ignorant. An ego on legs. The man walked up to his desk with the girl eagerly, grinning smugly. He had been a loyal talent scout, he had. Undoubtably, proper payment would be demanded afterward. Maverhov grunted and lit up a Smoke. Pulling on it deeply as he toyed with a throwing knife strapped firmly to his chest.

The girl he didn’t recognize. He rarely knew the younger ‘thieves’ by face, let alone their names. There were just too many joining, left and right, left and right. The slum dwellers bred like rabbits. Funny how that worked. The poor had the instinct to churn out the kids by the dozen, while wizards and royalty rarely dabbled in child bearing. Only pleasure sex for me, mate. Can’t be bothered by the pattering of little feet, doncha know. And that was the precise reason the wizards were a dying breed. The slum dwellers had power in numbers.

The girl was pleasant, at any rate. Her chestnut hair reached at her shoulders – well groomed and lush – and her green eyes were the size of half-dollars. Round and deep and bright. Her figure was rare. Most slum-women were content with triple chins and bulging hips. The girl however, was thin and lithe looking. Cat-like, almost. Maverhov looked at her approvingly. It would be a pity if she turned out to be a blood traitor.

“Funny thing happened out in the street, boss - ” Barkus began still grinning like a madman as he stepped up to the desk, girl in tow.

“I’ve heard about it already,” Maverhov interrupted, exhaling a cloud of smoke, “You may step back, Barkus. This meeting has nothing to do with you, despite what you may think.” He stared at the man until he took a step backward, smile fading.

“Now,” Maverhov said, turning his gaze to the girl, “Do you have a name?”

“Melody.”

“Melody, then. What I’ve heard is incredible. A rock through a conjured shield. Our good friend Yarask must be quite confused. I know I would be. Shields aren’t broken every day of the week, Melody. So I’ve gotta aske, your parents? Did either of them have magical connections?”

Before the girl could answer, Barkus stepped forward again, “No chance this whore’s got magic,” He snickered, “Known her since a baby, haven’t I? Mel’d sooner – ”

“I don’t like you, Barkus, so shut up.”

“I don’t have magic,” The girl whispered, “I swear. I hate it. I want it gone just as much as anybody.”

“Innocent until proven guilty,” Maverhov shrugged. He took a drag on the Smoke, watching Barkus smolder.
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:24 pm
Rydia says...

Melody

“Innocent until proven guilty,” Maverhov shrugged. He took a drag on the Smoke and then went on. "I've seen this a few times before and there's a sure way to test your innocence. Without control, magic kills the wielder so all we have to do is wait and see what happens." Again, his long fingers lifted the Smoke to his thin lips and the sharp, grey eyes fixed themselves upon me as if they could pierce through my flesh and see if the blood in my veins was tainted.

"We've got to keep her hidden though, boss," Barkus slurred, almost choking on the honourary title. "If the magicians get her, they'll kill her and..."

"No, Barkus. They'll train her and if one more word passes from your lips, you'll be banished from the Slums." Barkus clenched his fists and gritted his teeth but remained silent. He knew that he had pushed Maverhov too far.

"I'd rather die than be taught their magic," I stated, causing both men to turn back to me. Maverhov nodded as if this were a natural reaction but Barkus looked almost envious for a moment.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:04 pm
EmiSukotto16 says...

Tamora sat on the edge of a fountain staring at the full moon. Sarin sat next to her, eyes closed as he savored the soft scratching of Tamora's nails, painted the same color as his feathers, as they moved from his neck to the top of his head.

Tamora's thoughts, however, were focused on the recent events. The news of the girl (Tamora didn't like calling the lowly Slums), the magic, and the meeting. She had hoped to get a few days to study her newest collection of alchemy books.

Tamora sighed and stopped her absent scratching.

You need to think of your responsibilities more than your own personal entertainment. Sarin's eyes gazed at Tamora half-closed, almost cat-like.

"I just enjoy having time to myself, that's all." Tamora said.

Like watching a giant white orb floating in the sky for an hour?

"No," Tamora said scowling at the bird, "like enjoying the light of a full moon for as long as I can."

While you do that, I'm going to sleep. The giant bird spread his wings and lifted himself into the air, disappearing through the door of Tamora's balcony above the courtyard.

Tamora smiled and let out a soft laugh before returning her gaze to the moon. She could tell it would be a long day tomorrow...
Llama 1:"Shh! Do you hear that? That's the sound of forgiveness."
Llama 2:"That's the sound of people drowning, Carl!"
Llama 1:"That is what forgiveness sounds like; screaming and then silence."

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:54 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

Could I please join this as a novice? There don't seem to be any of them yet... If not, disregard my bio!

Name:Pippa Phillips
Race:Human
Appearance:Small and skinny with black hair which she does not usually brush unless forced to. She keeps it back off of her face with a red hairband.Her eyes are grey.She has light freckles across her nose and cheeks.
History:Pippa lived with her father and her older sister Keisha before leaving home to work as a novice. Her mother died in childbirth. This has meant that her sister and father harbour much resentment towards her, especially her father, who longed for a son. He thinks little of her aspirations to become a magician but is glad to have her out of the house as he always viewed her as a nuisance and treated her accordingly.

*If any of you guys who are writing for magicians wouldn't mind having Pippa as an apprentice could you let me know? Thanks.
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:57 pm
Rydia says...

Hi Jasmine, glad to have you with us! An interesting character too...
Writing Gooder

28 Reviews

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:42 am
EmiSukotto16 says...

Hey, Jasmine. What color robe are you wanting to train for?

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:45 am
Maybe says...

*Of course you can join and play as a novice! Welcome to the Magicians' Guild! But, as Emisukotto16 stated/asked, which robes are you trying to achieve? This will help us determine who you will be apprenticed to.*

Arakin sat impatiently in his assigned chair in the guild hall, the place used for hearings and meetings. Rask sat next to him, examining the room with interest. From their vantage point, up on one of the many platforms that lined the walls, Rask was able to see into every nook and cranny. Because of Arkin's talent in Necromancy he had been given a place among the higher magicians, which made little difference to him. Most of the other magicians ignored him and those that didn't ignore him did not acknowledge his existence at all. This only helped to feed his bitterness and resentment to the others.

Here comes the High Lord Rask informed Arakin. He turned to see a tall older man stride into the room and take his place on the highest platform. He glanced around and with a voice that carried above the din of voices, called for silence. He called up Lord Yarask to give his account on the 'attack'. The middle aged man walked up to the front of the room and onto a small stage and began to tell his story. Arakin paid little attention to him as he too examined the faces in the room.

All of the sudden the prickling feeling spread along his spine, making him shiver involuntarily. He looked over at the High Lord and saw him shiver slightly too.

"Good. He can feel it too." Arakin muttered to himself. He turned back to watch more people get up and give their accounts. He only half listened, his mind working furiously to make a plan to find the girl. He needed to find her and teach her to control her powers before she destroyed half the city. A plan began to form...
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:24 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

Thanks guys.Em, red I think. I think she'd kinda like black eventually, but she's not going to admit to this, not yet anyway. If she earns her red robes, could she transfer after that?Or are you kinda boxed into whatever you start with?
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:23 pm
Dynamo says...

Name: Ryaka Dynamo (Ry for short)

Race: Human

Robe: Brown

Appearance: Spiky blond hair, electric yellow eyes, short for his age.

History: Ryaka is the last surviving member of the Dynamo Clan, a clan of spell casters who specializes in magic that controls electricity and the weather. His father was the leader of the clan before it was destroyed by another clan over fear of their power. Ryaka was found half dead near the guild by the High Lord of the guild. He has no memory of that day. Now he spends his days in the guild learning how to use magic, although he does find ways to entertain himself that are usually at the expense of others (pranks and stuff). His clan was destroyed before he got the chance to learn how to control the weather, but he can create small sparks of electricity.

Personality: Light hearted, energetic, friendly to anyone other than guild staff. He always tries to but up a tough front, but deep down he misses his parents very much.

Weaponry: Two short swords (I'm not sure if novices are allowed to have weapons before they get red robes), controls small amounts of electricity, basic magic.

(I haven't had a chance to read everything you guys have posted, but once I do I'll make my character's first post.)
Last edited by Dynamo on Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

116 Reviews

Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:31 am
Maybe says...

*Ok Dynamo, two things. First, your charater looks good. Sorry, i misunderstood you and thought you made up a new race. I like your idea though. Secondly, if you're training to become a red robs then you are allowed weapons but nothing fancy. Two short swords is good but no huge claymores or something like that. Thanks!

And Jasmine, you dont have to stick with one robs, but if you're going to be a black robe then you have to show a lot of talent in that area and not much in any other area. But, i guess it could work! Welcome!*

To continue the story...

Arakin and Rask walked back to their quarters, ignoring all the passersby and groups of huddled people. After the hearing they had approached the High Lord and told him how they had felt the girls magic. High Lord Kanask had thanked them and walked out of the hall, heading back for his huge quarters. Since then Arakin and Rask had felt the girl use her magic once more, about an hour ago.

"Lord Arakin!" a shrill voice called out behind them. Arakin cringed and turned to glare at the novice, Ryaka, who was almost bouncing with excitement.

"What?" Arakin demanded irritably. Rask eyes the novice with his dark eyes.

"I heard you were leading the search for the girl tomorrow, along with Lord Ferskos!" the boy exclaimed.

"You heard correctly. What does it concern you?" Arakin said, half turning away.

"Can I come?!" Ryaka asked.

"No. You will have class. Just because some of the teachers will be gone doesnt mean you wont have a substitute." he said coldly, completely turning away. He and Rask started walking in the direction of the magicians quarters.
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:00 pm
Dynamo says...

"Pffff! Fine, I didn't want to come anyway!" Ryaka shouted as Arakin and Rask left. Ry stuck out his tongue when he was sure Arakin wouldn't see.

Ry placed his hands behind his head and walked away. "Man, I never get to go anywhere. This place is so boring!"

Ry made his way to the courtyard. He had to go to class soon, but he wanted to do something fun before he did. That's when he noticed a blue robed magician sitting on a bench. She had her alchemy tools out and was making potions.

Ryaka smiled as he hid behind a few bushes. He crept around the courtyard until he was behind her. He approached slowly and quietly. He reached for his magic and called forth a small current of electricity to surround his hand. He slowly reached out to touch her.

"Ryaka, if you touch me I swear you're going to regret it."

Ryaka sighed. "You're no fun, Tamora!"
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

28 Reviews

Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:00 pm
EmiSukotto16 says...

"Define fun." Tamora said, laying down her tools. She had no problem with the lack of formalities. She preferred not being called

"Fun is not sitting around here while everyone is going on adventures." Ryaka said.

"Really? I've had no problem with that in the past." Tamora said with a smile. "You're young and adventurous, and I have sympathy, but your day will come."

"In a thousand years." Ryaka said, rolling his eyes.

"A hundred if you're lucky." Tamora joked. She carefully placed all her tools in her black messenger bag, and stood. There was a soft flapping of wings, and Sarin landed on the bench.

"Hey, Tamora, are you going with Lord Arakin and the others?" Ryaka asked.

"They said they would contact me if they needed my expertise." Tamora said, turning to leave.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:08 pm
Rydia says...

Melody

Maverhov decided that I shouldn't return to the streets for a day or two and showed me to a small, dusty room. I crossed to the far side in just three steps and squinted towards the small, barred window. Two thin beams of light filtered through the dust, so weak that they could not extend as far as the opposite wall and instead faded into the black, inky substance that was my air.

"It's a cell," Maverhov admitted.

"Oh." I didn't know what to say and I watched him leave with a heavy heart. I'd been a member of the Thieves for just two weeks and things had been going so right. Why did this have to happen?

"At least you'll not have to switch rooms if it turns out you do have magic, huh Mel?" Barkus sneered, seating himself on the only furniture in the room which was a low, stone bench.

"It's not funny Barkus and I'm scared. You saw what happened out there. It couldn't have been anyone else. He's going to kill me, Barkus!" I began to sob hysterically and felt my body crumple into a heap in the corner.

"I should go now..." Through my tears I watched as Barkus stood and left the room, walking hurriedly down the hall.

"No! Don't go, please don't go!" I begged, scrambling to my knees. And then it happened. For a moment, Barkus seemed to be struggling against some invisible force and then he was propelled backwards, landing with a thud beside me.
Last edited by Rydia on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Writing Gooder

28 Reviews

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:40 pm
EmiSukotto16 says...

Tamora felt the tingling again and shivered. The girl had used magic again, in quick succession.

"Ryaka, you should go to your quarters. I'll talk to you later. Come, Sarin." Tamora headed towards the magicians' quarters, surely someone had noticed the sudden rise in the girl's magic use.

Tamora saw Lord Arakin standing in the shadows with his familiar, Rask. She angeled toward him.

"Lord Arakin." She said as a greeting. "I understand you have felt the girl's magic, correct?"

"Yes, and so have you, Lady Tamora."

"Indeed. Have you noticed the rise in her magical activity? It's only been an hour since she last used it, and another hour just before that. I'm worried about her stability."

"As am I." Lord Ferskos approached from behind Tamora.

116 Reviews

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:11 pm
Maybe says...

Lord Arakin ignored Lord Ferskos and continued his conversation with Lady Tamora.

"Yes, i have noticed an increase. Perhaps spells doom for us all if we do not find her, and soon. Her magic will begin to grow until it is uncontrollable, then it will be released and half the city will be destroyed and even all of our magicians will not be able to stop it." Arakin commented dryly. He then turned to Lord Ferskos. "Greetings, Lord Ferskos. Your robes look a bit redder today. Have you been practicing in the arena?"

Lord Ferskos regarded him warily. "Yes. One of the novices got a bit cocky. He now has two weeks of mess hall duty."

Arakin chuckled, an eerie sound in the crisp autumn air. "That is indeed unfortunate, on both your cases."

"What do you think we should do about the girl?" Tamora asked, bringing them back on subject.

Arakin quited and looked his usual serious and bitter self. "I say we find her, with the High Lord's permission, of course. As far as i know, we are the only ones who can feel her magic besides High Lord Kanask. He will be bust with the runnings of the guild, so why don't we go and find her? Of course, we may need more among out numbers but i know a few people will be more than willing to participate." Arakin said, remembering Ryaka.

"When should we start?" Lady Tamore queried.

"As soon as possible. Tonight."

Once here on Young Writers Society, in chat, chickens wanted variety. They complained to Nate and after debate became funky orangutans silently.
— Mea