z

Young Writers Society

The Heart of the Land (Need characters!)

What should the name of our tribe be?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:47 am

Ayama
20%
Miora
No votes
Haiaka
20%
Aevola (EE-voh-la)
20%
Jensu
40%
I don’t like any of these.
No votes

Total votes : 5

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:47 am
TexanWriter says...

The Heart of the Land

This SB is based off of the Virtual Villagers game series. If you haven’t played, you can still join. Just read the following spoiler to get a feel for how things go.

Spoiler! :
In the game, you play as a god, managing your villagers through the generations. In this SB, we will play as the villagers.

The game always starts with a tribe of villagers living on the island of Isola. For some reason or another, the tribe sends off a small group (5-8 people, depending on the game) to start up a new colony somewhere else on the island. The group sails off in a boat, or explores through some dense jungle, and gets to a clearing perfect for survival (what a coinkidink). There may or may not be villagers from some previous exploit living there. The object of the game is to solve sixteen ‘puzzles’ without letting all of your villagers die. The puzzles can be as simple as starting your first fire, or complicated enough to take generations of time and very advanced levels of science.

Prologue

Mahoi stirred the dying embers of the fire, his mind filled with puzzling memories. He should tell the chief about his dream. But what would she say? Would she say it meant impending doom on the tribe? On his family? Would she say it meant the harvest would be good this year?

He knew it wouldn’t mean any of those things. He could feel it. It would mean something better, and something much, much worse.

“What troubles you?” His mate, Kifa, came up behind him with a sad smile. Mahoi shook his head and smiled. “Nothing to trouble you with.” She chuckled and sat down beside him, locking her arm in his and resting her head on his shoulder. “Don’t be a martyr, ‘Hoi,” she said before closing her eyes to sleep.

He pursed his lips and went back to waking the fire.

>-<+>-<

“Friends, you can all see the Isola is dying.” The chief Aida spread her arms wide. Even though she was only thirteen, Mahoi thought the Great Guide had chosen their chief well. She paused a moment and continued. “Something must be causing this. Since we have no contact with the tribes of our ancestors, we must send a group ourselves to try discover what is hurting the island.”

“Who will go?” one young mother spoke up over the loud babble of her twins.

“If it is the will of the Great Guide,” Aida looked out over the starlit ocean. “We will know tonight.”

For a long time there was no sound but the crying of infants and the waves breaking against the shore. Everyone seemed to hold their breath as they waited to see if the deity would answer. Eventually, a soft glow came out through the darkness. It singled itself to eight villagers and turned to bright glowing rings at their feet.

The Great Guide had decided. They would go.

Plot

You are one of the chosen eight, chosen to go out and discover what is killing Isola. You kiss your parents goodbye, cry for your lovers staying home and pat your siblings on the head. It’s time to sail.

The village has sent you all off with enough food for one week at sea, a ceramic pot for boiling water, some science supplies, a few basic tools and some spare clothes. Not much to start an empire on, but maybe this way you won’t die of stupidity or poor hygiene.

After five days at sea with seven other villagers you had hardly ever talked to before, you come in sight of land. Even if it’s not where you need to be, you need to restock.

Getting to the island isn’t too hard. Getting off the boat is. A former tribe is already living on this corner of Isola, and they are not happy to see you. They destroy your boat – ignoring the leftover supplies, thankfully – and take you prisoner until they decide what to do with you.

Now all that’s left on that “To-Do” list is:
-Escape from hostiles
-Establish a colony
-Save Isola
-Don’t die

Nothing the Chosen Ones can’t handle, right?

Rules: (I'll try to keep things simple)

-No god-modding, etc.

-No horrible language (da*n, c*ap, as*, etc. are tolerable. S*it, b**ch and stronger are not). If you want to stay on my good side, be cleaner than Avatar and Spaceballs.

-No sex. Romance is fine, but keep it straight.

-Try to use good grammar, punctuation and spelling.

-Post at least once every five days or be killed.

-NO OVER POWERFUL CHARACTERS! I have to use all-caps for this. I've been in SB's with beautiful, strong Harvard graduates with six job offerings and every hobby in the book. SBs like that reek of inferiority and impending hopelessness. In other words, they suck and everyone drops out. I shouldn't have to be saying this, but I really want this to work, and to work, we can't have Uber Sues running around scaring off the writers. If your character is into volleyball, piano, tai chi, interpretive dance, abstract art, blah-blah, blah-blah, blah-blah, and STILL has time to be the world record non-commercial sea monkey raiser, I'm going to make you fix it.

There. Yeah, that was so simple.

Example Profile:

* Optional

Name: Ahi [Choose your name from here]

Height: 5’ 11”

Weight: 146

Personality: [Should be at least one full paragraph]

Physical Description: [Nose shape? Face shape? Hair color? Clan or medicinal tattoos? Any physical description you haven’t mentioned already.]

*Pictures: [If you have time to look for one]

Clothes: A blue sash embroidered with fish and waves wrapped around his chest and beige pants that reach his knees [See, I’m not asking for much, although I still love long descriptions]

Occupation and Level: Adept Farmer [Levels go: Trainee, Adept, Master. If your character started working at age 14, you would start as Trainee, become Adept at about age 18 and be Master at age 24. Calculate level from when they started working and if they enjoy working or not. Occupations are: Parent, Builder, Farmer, Healer, Researcher]

Dislikes/Fears/Weaknesses: Dislikes running, afraid of heights

Other: [Anything else at all]

Profile Stencil:

Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]

[b]Height:[/b]

[b]Weight:[/b]

[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Gender:[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]Physical Description:[/b]

[b]*Picture:[/b]

[b]Clothes:[/b]

[b]Occupation and Level:[/b]

[b]Likes:[/b] Running

[b]Dislikes/Fears/Weaknesses:[/b]

[b]Other:[/b]

Your profile will not be considered finished until you fill in each blank (except for the picture)!

The are only five character slots available!

Character Slots:

1.) <Female | Age: 14-17 | Any occupation | Claimed by: Puzzler>
2.) <Male | Age: 14-17 | Any occupation | Claimed by: >
3.) <Female | Age: 18-30 | Parent, with an infant | Claimed by: >
4.) <Female | Age: 18-30 | Farmer | Claimed by: MilkNCookies>
5.) <Male | Age: 18-30 | Farmer | Claimed by: >
6.) <Male | Age: 18-30 | Scientist | Claimed by: Isha>
7.) <Female | Age: 24-36 | Doctor | Claimed by: TexanWriter>
8.) <Male | Age: 24-36 | Builder | Claimed by: >

Discussion Thread
We're discussing the plot in the discussion thread, so check it out!

I’ve included a map of our part of the island. The houses belong to the natives; we’ll have to start from scratch. For those who haven’t played, the jungle is too thick, so we can only go where it’s clear.
Attachments
Island2.jpg
Map
Island2.jpg (52.34 KiB) Viewed 289 times
Island1.jpg
Island1.jpg (12.51 KiB) Viewed 18 times
Last edited by TexanWriter on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Religion without science is lame; science without religion is blind.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.

-Albert Einstein

88 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:16 am
TexanWriter says...

I claim one character or another. I want everyone else to get first dibs so that we at least have participants. Will post my profile in a few days.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.

-Albert Einstein

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:11 am
SisterItaly says...

I am so in. Virtual villagers *noms*

Name: Ipo

Height: 5'3''

Weight: 120lbs.

Personality: Ipo was very different from all of the girl villagers, while they wanted to be farmers and scientists, she wanted to be a builder. Which was well known as a mans job. So the girls wouldn't let her be friends with them, and since she was a girl the boy villagers wouldn't befriend her either. So when she finally does make a friend, despite how rude and abusive she may be, she means well. She really needs them there just so she knows someone cares.

Physical Description: Short and innocent, that's how she looks. She stands with a strong back and a clear face. She dresses very feminine, despite her personality.

*Picture:
Spoiler! :

Clothes: ^ See picture

Occupation and Level: Trainee healer

Dislikes/Fears/Weaknesses: swimming, the dark, snakes.

Other: Up for love ;)
Last edited by SisterItaly on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:52 am
eldEr says...

Name: Rangi

Height: 6'2''

Weight: 168lbs

Personality: Rangi is very quiet, not that he has much choice, and avoids social interaction for the most part. He's seen as an outcast due to being a mute, and he's adapted well to that. He spends most of his time alone, exploring the island and recording his findings in a small book. He's always liked to explore, and tends to wander off on his own at bad times-- like in the middle of a meeting. If something catches his attention, it catches his attention and he won't leave it alone until he knows at least close to everything about it. If he does end up staying in one spot long enough to discuss plans or other things, he watches and refrains from taking any part in the meeting at all. This is probably because nobody knows how to read sign-language, which is how he communicates. His mother and a couple of the elders were the only ones who ever could, as far as he knows.

Physical Description: Long-er brown hair, dark brown eyes. Tall, average build. His eyes are always distant, and he often appears tired, as though he lacks sleep.

*Picture:
Spoiler! :

Clothes: A plain brown, long-sleeved shirt with baggy sleeves and black pants, fastened with a red belt. Both his shirt and his pants have many tiny rips-- especially the sleeves of his shirt.

Occupation and Level: Adept Scientist

Dislikes/Fears/Weaknesses: crowds, sleep, swimming

Other: Mute; uses sign-language to communicate. Usually works alone and keeps everything he finds in a small journal. The other scientists were his only friends, and the only people on the island other than his mother and a few elders that knew sign-language.
Last edited by eldEr on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

88 Reviews

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:18 pm
TexanWriter says...

Thanks, guys. I hope to get at least a few more characters.

-Albert Einstein

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:39 am
MilkNCookies says...

If it's not dead, i claim a spot.
"Fantasy is a way of looking through the wrong end of the telescope."

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

88 Reviews

Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:11 pm
TexanWriter says...

It's not dead, per se, I just got busy and never officially started it. I'll try to start it by this weekend, if everyone is still willing to do it.

-Albert Einstein

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:08 pm
MilkNCookies says...

Will finish! Female farmer, please.

Name:Bixa

Height:

Weight:

Personality:

Physical Description:

*Picture:

Clothes:

Occupation and Level:

Dislikes/Fears/Weaknesses:

Other:
"Fantasy is a way of looking through the wrong end of the telescope."

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

It's Monday and you folks are beginning to wonder about the show, aren't you
— David Letterman