Young Writers Society

Down to the Center of the Earth

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:55 am
TabbyGirl says...

@Fiction: never say die!

Fin Grimes

I squinted at the grass. I didn’t feel it, but I could tell that, like everything, it was different… it was greener then on the surface. The surface, I thought, looking up and remembering how far we were lowered down. It makes no sense… in science class I was taught the layers of the Earth. I was taught that it was, literally, hot as Hell in the center, and made of silicon, nickel… and other things that I’ve forgotten by this time. In any case, this was not right. Not at all… The whole situation made me feel paranoid. Are we really underground? I breathed the fresh air, no… no way… I looked at the watch on my wrist. The one that was nearly indestructible, or whatever. It was really bothering me… This is why Mom said I need to see a shrink… I thought, starting to develop a headache.

I shook my head to clear it, and, desperate to start moving again, said, “So, I guess we should do what he said…” I gestured forward, “and head inland.”

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:12 pm
Katriona says...

Dawn

Dawn trailed behind the rest of the group, watching the ground as it passed beneath her feet. There was nothing to do now except walk and walk and walk, and hope they would run into something that's would give them a clue as what to do. Her father's lack of a bracelet, and the fact that he never said anything about it, still bugged her. But there was nothing she could do about it right now.
She looked up at Jay, walking ahead and slightly to the left of her. When Dawn had introduced her dad, Jay had unintentionally shown a deep pain, though Dawn wasn't sure why. Jay had changed her expression so quickly, Dawn was sure she had a lot of practice hiding her feelings. Maybe they would get a chance to talk later.
Something cold and hard cut the bottom of Dawn's foot. She bit her tongue and sat down. If only she had been smart enough to bring shoes. Not that she had much time to get her stuff together, but she should have been well enough prepared to wear her shoes to bed. Okay, so it was kind of a silly thought. But Dawn suddenly realized that she was tired, and silly thoughts were natural consequences for her when she didn't get enough sleep.
Dawn felt around in the thick grass for whatever she had stepped on. Hard, sharp, and cold probably meant metal.
"There it is." She whispered.
It was a cube about a inch tall. It appeared to be made out of solid metal, but it left a strange tingling feeling in her fingers. The edges were slightly sharp.
She wrapped her hand around it and ran to catch up with the group.
"Amigos," she said, displaying the metal box in the palm of her hand. "What do you suppose this is?"

***Just so you know, I have no idea what it is. So feel free to make it whatever you want.***
~Christ's Servant

How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace;
that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation;
that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!
Isaiah 52:7

It's unsettling to know how little separates each of us from another life altogether.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore