745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:29 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Post for notifications.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:46 pm
View Likes
Gardevite says...

If you don't mind, I would like to participate. :D
Formerly Hightop

Garde's Reviews

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:47 pm
View Likes
Hannah says...

Or subscribe for notifications.
What I'd most like to see here is an outline of where we're going next. Since the poetry is so free form and every moment could potentially have a couple of posts by different people to cover it, just scheduling what we want her to experience and who will cover it is important.

I'd like to start with a phone call -- however she receives the message.
And I'd like to decide the plain facts here so we're all on the same page where she's coming from without having to be TOO explanatory in our poetry.

So -- how'd he die?
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

745 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:55 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Mmmmm so many ways to die.

I woopsed and started with a tiny intro to get to know her relationship with her friend, just a bit of a smooth entry to get the reader to love their friendship before she receives the phonecall. This can go on for however long people want to write about happier things.

I love the idea of a phonecall being the turning point. Dramatic and cold.

Personally, I think the best way to avoid being too informative (blatantly) with narrative poetry (like this all will be) is to find a motif in your piece, however long or short, and bring that around. For example, my motif in the entry is "This is _____".

Personally, I think Dialogue is the tricky part!

Also, anyone's welcome to join. Have fun with it!
-Shinji Moon

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:32 pm
Elinor says...

I love this idea! I'll try to contribute a few poems. So we're not controlling our own character really - just each contributing to the story as a whole.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:37 pm
View Likes
Hannah says...

Right. And theoretically we could just go improv with this -- moving with whatever the next poster does, never saying NO to a suggestion, and see where that takes us?

But just post hard facts here so we can be on the same page when poetic language might make the exact meaning hard to decipher (or sometimes it's not necessary in the poem except in the background).

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:50 pm
Aley says...

What are glucosamine chondroitin and rheumatism?

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:52 am
niteowl says...

Aley: Glucosamine is a joint supplement (my mom takes a truckload of supplements) and rheumatism is a form of arthritis (though I don't think it's the only one).

I'm definitely intrigued by this, although still a little confused. Hopefully I can contribute once I get a better feel for the whole thing.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:48 am
Hannah says...

Nitey Knight, what are you confused on? There hasn't been lots of solid discussion here, yet, so we're just kinda floatin' along. How do you think he died?!

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:57 am
niteowl says...

Yeah I think that's why I'm confused. I thought the first poem "surprise" was the news of the death, but now re-reading, I'm thinking the first two poems are more like memories, which makes a lot more sense.

As for how he died, it has to be something that could look like natural causes. So some sort of poison? Or perhaps an overdose on something he was already taking (so it could look accidental). Or a staged suicide?
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:03 am
Hannah says...

Oh yeah! Like Lumi said above, "surprise" was just an intro to the relationship to set up the normalcy before the big event.

I was thinking it could be something really heart wrenching like a disappearance after a party. I remember a friend of mine had a friend of his just disappear, then later the body washed up in the river. So there was a whole period of hope, with a little tinge of expecting the bad because they were drunk and that means no one was really paying attention, but then there was also the time afterward when they finally found out what happened. Then the girl might blame the friends who were around at the time before finally coming to grips with the fact that her guy made a bad choice.

The overdose could be interesting, too -- do we want the guy to be suicidal? Or if there was foul play, what would it be? Who would have done it to him?

806 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:23 pm
Aley says...

There are also things like car accidents, acts of war/mass destruction (school shootings, 9/11...), and the abnormal diseases for young people that still happen, like cancer. We could go with something that could threaten her too, like an STD, etc.

With a murder mystery, since she's not the police that I'm aware of, it would have to be something that they might dismiss without further proof of murder, like poisoning food with infected blood and feeding it to the victim. It could also be something they assume is some terrorist act, but in reality, it was a specific hit.
Last edited by Aley on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:25 pm
Lumi says...

All that can be figured out later! People just need to post. :P
-Shinji Moon

806 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:55 pm
Aley says...

So, right now we've gone from eating breakfast with someone else, to popping pills, to praying?

745 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:40 pm
Lumi says...

Right-o! The difference between this storybook and others is that the narrative isn't a straight line. You'll see a flash here, a slip there, and it'll build into the emotional meta-narrative that connects the "I" to the "You". Try not to think in straight lines. Just very near circles.
-Shinji Moon

If a story is in you, it has to come out.
— William Faulkner