Young Writers Society

Amidst the Roses DT Thread

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:50 pm
StellaThomas says...

Amidst the Roses

So this is just for everybody to discuss the storybook! I'm so excited for this to be starting and I know a lot of you are as well. All questions and thoughts and ideas go here and keep the actual thread clean for just posting... um... posts (I am so eloquent). We'll be starting once all the profiles are up, complete and everybody is happy with them! Remember to try and make your profiles as meaty as possible, while you'll be developing your characters along the way, it's always good to have a nice firm basis and a rounded character so you know where you're starting.
Last edited by StellaThomas on Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:31 am
Shadowlight says...

Will you be sending out a notice of some kind when we can start posting??? :D
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:08 pm
StellaThomas says...

I think we can start once all the profiles are up, whenever that is. I'll PM you all when it happens!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:43 pm
Rosendorn says...

I have an idea. :D

Since our resident dragon is spelled to hunt down everybody who comes near the roses, Beast could take his curse back (either limiting himself to the valley, being immortal, being Beast and immortal...) to free Sebastian from his. Whether or not this threatens to kill Beast in the process is up for debate.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

42 Reviews

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:06 pm
Shadowlight says...

Sorry Rosy I'm not following what you were saying with the beast.

Is the beast able to use magic? I though he was in the same straights as Sebastian. Cursed and not able to do anything to help themselves.

Could you explain it again? Sorry for being so dense, I'm still tired after my grandma's birthday party (I had to play hostess) :D

My idea for Sebastian was that enchantress made a mistake is saying "Hunt" down everyone in the forest, instead of "Kill" everyone who enters the forest. He is forced to hunt them down but he is not compelled to kill them. Sort of a "Monkeys paw" If I'm explaining this right.
anywho's. :D

~Shadow~

1272 Reviews

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:20 pm
Rosendorn says...

I understood that, which is a nice little loophole.

Basically Beast, since he knows about Sebastian's curse, would find the Enchantress and basically offer to, well, "switch" his already-broken curse with Sebastian's in-tact curse. Ie- Curse-broken-Beast offers to take his cursed-Beast form to break Sebastian's curse so Sebastian isn't tied to the Enchantress.

Instead of Beast using magic, it's more he tries to make a bargain with the Enchantress.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

42 Reviews

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:27 pm
Shadowlight says...

I think I get it...

So beast ties himself to the enchantress so Sebastian has his own fee will?
Both are still in their beastly forms but just change who is the Enchantress's puppet?

Did I get it?

1272 Reviews

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:31 pm
Rosendorn says...

Beast could be human, potentially. If he is, he'd take his Beast form back. Basically, the farther his curse is broken, the more he tries to get for Sebastian. (Like, back to human).

But past that, you pretty much got it. :) I wasn't thinking so much puppet, though, as "tied to the valley he was cursed in", which means turning back outside of that valley would hurt/kill him. (Ohyeah. Totally fine with my characters dying. xD)

42 Reviews

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:38 pm
Shadowlight says...

Okay, that makes sense. (So happy I understood!)

But why would Beast try to do all this for Sebastian?

Were they friends? Cousins? Do they know each other at all? or something else?
(Not trying to be a pain just thinking about future story lines!)

Oh an PLEASE DON'T KILL BEAST!
(he's my favorite Disney hero. :D) Well unless you REALLY want/need to but I WILL cry! XD

1272 Reviews

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:47 pm
Rosendorn says...

It's a sign of character development. Beast now values other lives as much/more than his own, so he'd be willing to become a puppet or die to free the prince (who is his prince, when you think about it, considering they're both from North Country).

This is where the Enchantress figuring he's learned his lessons/a plea from Sebastian and/or Beauty would probably help. But we need Stella to say what would work in that respect. I'd like him not to die, too, but that depends on what happens.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:54 pm
StellaThomas says...

Well, you see, think about the original fairytale. She cursed him originally for being self-centred and arrogant. Such an act of selflessness might just free him from his bonds of beastitude- however, as far as the Enchantress is concerned, there are a lot of things to take into account. Firstly, she needs a beastie to guard the forest, so until Briar Rose wakes up one or other of you is stuck there. Secondly, what about taking Beauty into account? I know Scar hasn't put her input in here, but surely the fact she cares for the Beast is going to play some part. Sticking himself in the forest might not be what she wants... and so might be considered a malicious act that way. Aha, the Enchantress herself is good at finding loopholes.

On the whole, however, she might just let that last bit slide- if Beauty does...

(Once Briar Rose wakes up, I doubt there'll be much need for a Beast. I have a feeling you're all going to end up killing the Enchantress anyway, but I have no idea).

Another point- I had actually been thinking the two of you might be cousins? Long-lost, naturally xD But if Beast's going to have a nice big cushy house, well, being a lord of some sort- or even a prince (of the Princess Beatrice and Eugenie variety, children of the second son or something) might fit well.

1272 Reviews

Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:03 pm
Rosendorn says...

So, while they're arguing over who will end up being the protector of the forest, one of the others can go and wake up Briar Rose which saves them both from being in control of the Enchantress. :P Also, Beast could ask Beauty if she'd be alright living here. Scar would need some input, and I don't know if she has even checked the SB. I'll go post this.

(When you consider it, the Beast would be a worse guardian for the Enchantress, especially if a dragon is on the other side. Easier for a dragon to deal with Beast than Beast to deal with a dragon.)

Beast and Sebastian are probably distantly related. High-ranking nobles tended to be. But, they'd know about the relation in human form. In beast form, either of them may or may not remember. xD (Which just adds to Beast's bitterness. Check his now-up profile!)

42 Reviews

Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:08 pm
Shadowlight says...

I agree with you Stella on all counts!

I want Sebastian to be in the forest for a while anyway, as his scaly dragon self. So let the Enchantress know he's her man...wait....dragon! :D or are both beast and Sebastian guarding the forest? (I'm confused)

and if we did any curse breaking I would want it to come much later in the story, maybe after the enchantress is defeated somehow. (for Sebastian at least, unless Stella overrules as supreme being of the storybook)

Rosy and I were just brainstorming some fun ideas, which is good if for nothing else to develop our characters more.
The long lost cousin idea is lovely, and I have heard curses like that "run in families" *wink* :D

Once we get the story started, and everyone starts interacting, we'll have a clearer idea of what we want to happen to our character. For now I think just throwing out ideas is a wonderful way to get dialogue going between writers! ( a thread like this is an amazingly good idea!)
Hugs,
~Shadow~

1272 Reviews

Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:13 pm
Rosendorn says...

I had planned this for the end of the SB. xD When most/all of them are trying to get Briar Rose and they can't cause of Sebastian. Beast would offer himself up, which could buy time, and maybe just as the Enchantress says that Beast will be the new guardian Briar Rose wakes up?

Or, Beast has some time as the guardian, where the tables turn.

Also, to answer your question, I doubt Beast and Sebastian would be guarding the forest at the same time.

(Why yes I do almost always come up with the ending first)

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:15 am
ScarlettFire says...

Oooh. Beast sacrificing himself? I don't think Beauty would like that very much. If Beast were to do what you guys are suggesting, Beauty would be Very Upset. As for living in the Rose Forest, Beauty wouldn't mind it...

(Yeah, I've been busy and obviously not paying enough attention to you lovely YWSers. x.x Obsessed with playing Spyro the Dragon. >.> What can I say? I love the little purple beast. XD)

Oh, Beast and Sebastian doing a switch-type-thing to stall for time would be a good idea. Beauty might be either too shocked at what Beast is saying or she may run and wake up Briar Rose.... Then again, I think Beauty's a little obsessed with Beast to do that. (That reminds me, I must finish my profile soon.) So, she'd be more likely to stand there going o.O Huh?
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

The mind of man is capable of anything - because everything is in it, all the past as well as all the future.
— Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness