z

Young Writers Society

Saving Face DT

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:10 pm
TexanWriter says...

This is the DT for Saving Face. Discuss plots, claim characters, etc. Please post all profiles here, I want to keep the actual story thread neat and tidy.

Technicalities:
Please delete all notes when posting a profile
You can have up to three characters, if you can handle it
Add anything you want. This is just the basics of what we need.
Please, take your time and make this thorough. It will make me very happy.
And nothing from deviantart.com

Profile Stencil

Name: (Last, First Middle “Nickname” (nickname optional))

Age: (Two characters 15-17, two characters 18-20, three 21-24, rest 25+)

Side: (Loyalty, Rebel, Drone or Civilian)

Home: (Where you currently live and what type of home)

Normal Abilities: (e.g., “Fast swimmer since she was in a swim club once” or “Is really strong from high school football”)

Paranormal Abilities (aka superpowers): (If you need help with ideas, here’s a link to a list of powers. Don’t use powers already taken, keep the powers related to each other (as in, don’t make ).)

Weaknesses and Flaws: (You gotta have them, whether they relate to your power (e.g., a water manipulator be doubly hurt by fire) or not (e.g., a phobia))

Likes/Interests:

Dislikes:

Physical Appearance:
-Nationality:
-Height:
-Weight:
-Hair:
-Eyes:
-Picture: (It has to be a real photo. I will be a very happy girl if you include one, but it's optional.)
-Other:

Style of Dress: (average outfit, such as jackets, hats, shirts, pants, colors, blah blah blah)

Personality:

Family/Friends/Pets: (List the name then title, e.g. “Johnny Dill, Brother” or “Fido, Pet Dog”)

History: (You must fill this out)

Up for Love?

Other: (Disabilities? Quirks? Basically, anything about your character that didn’t fit into any of the other categories)

Reference to Sides:
[spoiler]Sides

No one’s entirely good, and no one’s pure evil. Don’t pick a side based on “Is my character a hero or villain?” because that question is unusable. If your character was taken, think about which one you want to write about or needs more characters. If your character picked, well, which one would your character pick?

Loyalties:

You saw he was powerful. You knew he would win. Either that, or you were held at gunpoint and brainwashed. You are a Powered who is quite literally loyal to “the Traitor” (whose name you don’t know, but it’s Joseph Hafton. You can’t claim Joseph, he’s mine). You call him “Master”. Some would call you stupid for trusting him; others, brilliant. There are so many feelings on this subject in politics, you’ve learned to just ignore them all and do your own thing (or whatever you’re told).

Loyalties aren’t the bad guys. In fact, they’re probably better than any of the other groups. They’re like spies; they act like anyone else off the street when you’re looking, but when it’s time to go to work they’re someone completely different. Very few of them are mean. And they aren’t henchmen. They just see that this is the winning side, and picked it.

However, your life as a Loyalty isn’t a 24/7 gig. It’s usually just whenever your particular services are needed and you’re called upon that you really stand out as a Loyalty. You can be needed anywhere from weeks at a time to only a few hours. You never know. Loyalties are very manipulative and find ways

You never really break the law (outside of assassination and the occasional kidnapping on order) just for the heck of it or for survival.

Rebels:

You’re completely on your own. Well, except maybe some fellow rebels or a few friendly civilians who don’t think Powered are dangerous monsters out to take over the world.

Rebels are kept on their toes running from Drones. Not literally, an actual chase is very rare. This is supposed to be as realistic as Sci-Fi with superheroes™ can get. But anyways, Rebels are enemies with every other group. They’re the outcasts, and have no friends other than themselves.

It’s not like they don’t have lives, however. Most create aliases and continue living life like a Civilian.

Drones:

You have no memories of what happened to you before your life as a government agent. No one knows you exist. Everything’s a secret. Your only companions? Your fellow Drones.

Drones were taken from their previous life by force once word got out they had powers. They were then brainwashed and trained as a soldier. This could have happened when you were 13 (when powers first start to show their faces) or older. However, you’re still human. You still have emotions, hopes, dreams, fears.

Drones are the secret agents of the government. They hunt down Loyalties and Rebels to capture, brainwash and

Civilian:

Either you don’t have powers (your average Joe off the street), or you do and it hasn’t become publicly known (hope against all hope that you aren’t found out), you aren’t part of any of the powered groups.

Civilians, the non-Powered type, tend to think that all Powered are dangerous, useless hooligans whose only purpose is to disturb what peace there is. Civilians, the Powered type, just think, “I hope I can hide my powers”.

Civilians are average people with average jobs and general problems with the usual joys and normal sorrows. They have homes, bomb shelters, financial issues, they care about politics, they’re just human. Nothing more.[/spoiler]
Last edited by TexanWriter on Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Religion without science is lame; science without religion is blind.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.

-Albert Einstein

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:38 pm
Bloo says...

Sorry, posted that in the wrong place. I got rid of it though. Just incase you did not see, I claim another guy, and a giril. Will edit profiles in here.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:48 pm
Moo says...

I'll save a spot for a guy and a girl please, I'll post their profiles tomorrow
“Poetry is old, ancient, goes back far. It is among the oldest of living things. So old it is that no man knows how and why the first poems came.”

--Carl Sandburg

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:36 pm
ridersofdamar says...

I really want to join, but I will be gone most of the summer so I cant
Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:54 pm
In_the_Moonlight says...

I call a FEMALE DRONE! :D :D
If I can impact one person, just one, with my writing before I die, then I've lived a great life

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:54 am
sylverdawn says...

I call a boy he's halfway between a rebel and civilian.
DANCE- Like no-one is watching
LOVE- Like you've never been hurt
SING- Like no-one is listening
LIVE- Like it's heaven on earth.

Please read and review my novel. The title is Fireborn. Here's the link.

novel.php?id=1157

39 Reviews

Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:14 am
Bloo says...

Urgh I just made all my profiles, took forever. But my comp shut down, and I lost them

When I calm down I will re make them.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:12 pm
In_the_Moonlight says...

Texan, I'm a little confused. I want my character to be a drone, but I don't fully understand what it is. Could you explain more? Like do they have an occupation outside of working for the government? do they wear a uniform? etc...etc..

**Moonlight**
If I can impact one person, just one, with my writing before I die, then I've lived a great life

88 Reviews

Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:59 pm
TexanWriter says...

So sorry 'bout that, Bolt! (You just made me paranoid and save the profiles I'm working on on my flash drive :P )

A Drone is a Powered spy/agent for the government. If they do have an occupation outside, it's a cover up job and one that lets them travel at a moments notice.

They don't have a uniform, but they have a dog tag with a number on it which they have to wear at all times. Their number. It's the one way to identify a Drone. Each dog tag has a tracking device on it and an emergency signal button. They're 1/8 of an inch thick.

They don't have a home since they're always moving, hunting down other Powered. They rest anywhere from hotels to a cardboard box, it doesn't matter.

If they have family, they don't know it, though their family might recognize them after seeing a picture. They can [fall in] love, since they're still human. They aren't robots (despite their name).

They have the latest in tech to help them, since they're for the government. That means microphone molar teeth covers, sunglasses that have built-in computer screens, and pretty much everything else that ever was in a spy movie, but more realistic. The microphone can fall off or lose it's plastic cover and fizz out from saliva, the sunglasses only work in dim light, blah blah.

What they actually do, is they're given the name of someone suspected to have powers. Then they watch that person for a while, maybe even attacking them or putting them in a situation where any sane person would use every defense they had, until they know for sure whether or not the suspected has powers. If they don't, then it's back to headquarters to report. If the suspected does have powers, they corner them, sneak up from behind, chloroform them, put the body in a body bag, and sneak the person off to HQ to be brainwashed and trained. Okay, maybe not exactly like that, but that's the general way.

Sorry for being so short, I do better with a list of questions. Anything else?

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.

-Albert Einstein

88 Reviews

Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:13 am
TexanWriter says...

I’d like to request that everyone create and post their profiles within three days.

Here are two of my three characters.

Name: Thistle, Raven Andrea

Occupation: Photojournalist (in a Spider-Man kind of way, takes pictures and sells them to papers)

Side: Rebel

Home: An apartment in New York City, New York, USA

Normal Abilities: Is a good swimmer, can play the guitar, and is a great seductress in a mild way, if that makes sense. She isn’t afraid to do anything from French kissing to dirty dancing to get her way with men.

Paranormal Abilities (aka superpowers):
Telekinesis (can move objects with her mind. This lets her pick basic locks, grab a soda from across the room, strangle a guy from ten feet away like Darth Vader, and other such useful purposes)
Telepathy (can communicate via the mind. She can send messages, images, and memories to other people with her mind)
Air and Wind Manipulation (can control the air. Her coat has stretchy cloth from the wrists to her waist, so she looks like a bat, but it allows her to soar. She can turn into a small tornado or cause a huge breeze to appear in a closed in room)

Has to flick and flex her fingers and hands to use her powers.

Weaknesses and Flaws: Is completely claustrophobic. Won’t even go on the subway, and has to have at least a window or hole in every room, or her breathing gets heavy and she starts to tear up. Is constantly tired and weak. Will often just pass out after a fight or any kind of physical or mental exertion. And, rarely, her “inner baddie” will take over her body, without her will. Her eyes will turn black, even the whites turn black, as does her tongue. Her voice grows raspy and she goes supposedly crazy, killing and beating even her friends. This will be explained in the story.

Likes/Interests: Chick flicks, candy corn, fighting, heavy metal, punk rock, cape jasmine, night, black gold, friends, romantic evenings, playing her guitar, the wind and the rain (note: but not at the same time), spicy food

Dislikes: People she can’t trust, mornings, bright lights, people who snore, the cold, confined spaces, grapes, people who trick her (note: tricking her is really hard),

Physical Appearance:
-Nationality: Caucasian/American
-Height: 5’ 7”
-Weight/Build: This is her build. She looks like she’s seriously anorexic, but she doesn’t have an eating disorder. 97 pounds before a meal.
-Hair: Shoulder-length and pitch black, often oily from lack of care
-Eyes: Electric blue

-Picture: Does this look like a thirty year old? I hope so. But bonier features.

---

-Other: She doesn’t really smile but she grins once in a while. She has a two inch scar right above her belly button, a few other minor scars on her arms and legs, and a skull tattoo on the back of her neck. She appears anorexic but eats just as much as anyone (be explained later). Her forearms are covered in self-inflicted scars, so she will wear long sleeves at all times. Has lobe piercings on both ears and a cartilage piercing on her right.

Style of Dress: Wears dark green, navy, deep purple, maroon, and dark color. Always a T-shirt, but for bottoms will wear anything from ankle-length skirts to short shorts. And always, always, always, always wears this coat. Never takes it off except to go to bed or bathe.

Personality:
You’re her friend? Good for you. You’re her enemy? …How are you still alive?

Rude, sarcastic, hateful, long tempered, and knows how to hold a grudge. That’s Raven. She’s also a serious smart aleck who doesn’t care about hurting other’s feelings. She isn’t the quiet girl or the talker, she just speaks her mind. And she’s been arrested for speaking her mind a little too freely. Never even grins unless someone she really cares about is around, and never, in a million years, really smiles.

Family/Friends/Pets:

Jennifer Hannabe – Mother (deceased)
Robert Hannabe – Father (deceased)

Dylan Castle – Fiancé

History: As a child her parents brutally abused her, physically, mentally and verbally, for being a girl. She grew up wishing that she were a boy or had never been born. When she turned 12 shadows attacked the three in the middle of the night. They took her and her parents. By sheer luck, or a lot of mind power, she was able to force the shadows away from her, though they left their mark. From then on she was dark, rude and often mean to hide her true feelings, which she learned early on people could manipulate. She couldn’t bear to stay around her parents who had gone insane from two shadows taking them, and so ran away. For a while she lived on the streets, but when she turned sixteen she got a part-time job and an apartment. When she turned eighteen she changed her name from Laura Hannabe to Raven Thistle.

At nineteen she met the group, and they set off to save the world. That took all of two months, during which she fell in love with Spencer Wayne. But then he left for England and didn’t come back. For the first few years she just waited for him to come back, but then she realized one day that he would never come back for her. She became depressed and took anti-depressants to try and keep what life she had. Eventually, she ended up abusing the drugs and cutting her wrists and forearms. At a bar in 2017, when she was trying to get drunk, she met Dylan Castle, and that probably saved her life. She fell in love again, and in December 2018, under the stars and in the middle of a snow storm, he proposed to her. And she accepted. The wedding date is June 21, 2019.

But our story stars before that.

Up for Love? No, engaged to be married

Other: Won’t shake hands with anyone she doesn’t trust, can spit up to fifteen feet away, and rides a black motorcycle (this is the helmet she wears).

Theme song: “Bad Reputation” by Joan Jett

Name: Hafton, Joseph Eric

Side: Loyalty

Home: No one knows

Normal Abilities: Expert computer hacker, has photographic memory, and can run really fast from going on track in high school.

Paranormal Abilities (aka superpowers):
Technopathy (can control technology with his mind. This lets him find any file on a computer in seconds, hotwire a car in minutes, etc.)
Electrical manipulation (can control electricity and electrical currents. This lets him shot bursts of electricity out of his hands, send down bolts of lightening from the sky in a thunderstorm, etc.)
Telepathy (can talk to you with his mind)
Darkness manipulation (can make it dark in the middle of the day or in a really bright room)

He has to soak up electricity from an outside source (a car, a telephone pole, a cell phone, anything) before he can control it.

Weaknesses and Flaws: If he's placed in a room that is made of a really good insulator, he can't use his powers.

Likes/Interests: Power. Loves power. Lives for power. Also likes computers, cheese, Loyalties, venison, Sci-Fi, and chocolate

Dislikes: Stubborn people, the government, uhhhh...

Physical Appearance:
-Nationality: African-American
-Height: 5’ 7”
-Weight/build: 163 Lbs.
-Hair: Short and black
-Eyes: Dark brown
-Picture: This, but he never ever ever ever ever ever goes topless.
---

-Other:

Style of Dress: Wears either polo shirts and khaki pants or business suits. Casual formal.

Personality: Cold, quiet, doesn’t say anything unless it’s business. He can be very mean and rude, but usually keeps his cool.

Family/Friends/Pets:

Greg Hafton - Grandfather

Julie Meyer – Love of his life

History: His dad was a leading researcher at Intel. He grew up with some of the greatest computers, and soon showed he would follow in his father's footsteps. When his girlfriend was taken by the shadow and driven insane (when he was 16) he knew he would have to do something about this. He got his electricity based powers during an electrical experiment he preformed on his own brain.

During the group’s journey of ’09, Joseph betrayed the others and joined the man who had created the shadows. Before the man died, Joseph took his powers, but by then it was too late to redeem himself. He started to gather up a few followers who had powers. Then a few more. Then a few more. They would follow his every command. He had the power he had always wanted. But he wanted more. His followers became known as Loyalties, assassins and experts in their given field, whatever that was. Everyone feared them, being trained in combat and agility by your truly, Joseph Hafton.

Then there’s now.

Up for Love? No, not really. It’d make things too complicated.

Other:

Will post Kelly’s profile… later.
Last edited by TexanWriter on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

-Albert Einstein

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:16 am
jok101 says...

Name: Hayden, Jack

home: Is on the run so doesn't have time for one.

side: Rebel

normal abilities: Did parkour when he was a kid and continue doing it through he rest of his life.

Paranormal abilities:

Healing: He can heal from all wounds or diseases.

Enhanced senses: smell, hearing, strength

power vision: When he uses it the world goes dim around him apart from a few bright beacons of light that are people with powers.

weaknesses: His healing power is slowly eating away at him trying to heal things that don't need to be healed. His power vision sometimes comes on automatically when theirs is a large groups of supers near by and it renders him blind.

Likes: Cheap motels, movies, other Rebels, people that need guidance

dislikes: Drones, the government, Joseph Hafton

physical appearance:
Natinality: irish american white
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 172lbs
Hair: Short with long fringe brown
eyes:blue
picture: ? *don't know how to add pictures*

Style of dress: Jeans and cheap t shirts

personality: friendly and warm he has a darker side that is always their but he keeps it in check

Family friends:

Mother: Dead
Father: Dead

Joe Granger: Dead
Charlie: On the run fellow rebel

History: When Jack was 14 his parents were killed when they tried to stop a powerful drone from taking him , his powers hadn't even manifested yet and he was stuck. His friend Joe Granger who Jack had not known was also a super. Joe and the drone had a fight while Jack escaped the drone lost his temper and killed Joe. Jack and Charlie ran away together neither of their powers manifesting and were basically defenceless. Eventually their powers manifested and they killed the drone. Jack and Charlie went out for a bit until they both 16 and then because of different views they went their separate ways. Charlie going to try and salvage a life for her self. Jack went in the search of Joseph Hafton. Jack found Joseph and his group of followers. At first Jack got on with Hafton until he started forgetting things and realised that Joseph was trying to Brainwash him with his telepathy.
Jack confronted Joseph and he tried to totally brainwash Jack right then but Jacks healing power healed the mental scars that Joseph was inflicting. After a short battle Jack left and Joseph left as well with a mutual agreement that if they ever saw each other again it wouldn't be Nice. Jack then got involved in the rebels. But without Joseph protecting his whereabouts from the drones they were free to come after him.

up for love: Yes
Last edited by jok101 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

88 Reviews

Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:22 pm
TexanWriter says...

1.) To add pictures, the way I did, it has to be an online photo. Copy and paste the URL, or address, into your message. Then put [/img] on the end of the URL, and [img ] at the beginning.

2.) If Charlie is a secondary character, you don't need to make a profile, but she's an MC then go right ahead.

-Albert Einstein

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:15 pm
jok101 says...

yeah shes a main character and I edited in the history I hope its okay.

Name: Charlie *she doesn't know her last name*

side: Rebel

Home: Apartment on Manhattan island

Normal abilities: Medicine and shes recently started studying the science of supers as a hobby

paranormal abilities:
Shape shifting: only into other people or making herself look slightly different, like she made herself look 29.
Energy manipulation: She can take the energy or life force from things and absorb it but its at a very level and she can only take energy from something like a light bulb or a computer.

weakness: she can only use one of her abilities at a time and has limited memory

likes: Ice cream, indie music and having fun and living her much more normal life.

dislikes: loyalties, her boss and cancer patients

Physical appearance:
White American
height: 6'1"
weight: 155lbs
hair: black
eyes: green

style of dress: what ever but normally scrubs when she's working

up for love: no shes got a boyfriend named Andy

Friends and family:

Mother father: ?

Joe Granger: Dead

Jack Hayden: Dead alive she doesn't know and after the last time they talked she doesn't really care but that's only on the out side on the inside she really dose care and worries about him constantly

Andy Pollard:Her boyfriend they share the apartment and hes a military officer in a special branch.

many others

History: She ran off with Jack when a drone was after them they went out for a while and she was in love with him but he wanted to go to Joseph Hafton she didn't and after and argument that ended with her black out to city blocks with her energy manipulation they went their separate ways. she trained to be a doctor halfway through her training a drone caught her and took her to be brainwashed halfway threw a group of loyalties attacked and in amongst the chaos she maneged to escape but her mind was damaged and she forgot facts about her parents all she knows is that they both had cancer and may or may not have died. When she escape she decide she needed to alter her appearance a bit so made her self look older. since then she got a job as a Doctor and found love again.

*hope this is okay*

88 Reviews

Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:43 pm
TexanWriter says...

It's great! Nice and thorough. I like you, you posted your profiles. *claps hands really quickly*

-Albert Einstein

39 Reviews

Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:10 pm
Bloo says...

Name: Gary Tyler Overlander

Occupation: He is an Archeologist. But her also the majority stock holder of Lander media, the largest media empires worth billions, obtained it after his father retired.

Side: He really doesn't know at the moment.

Home: He is currently living in Egypt, in a small one bedroom apartment. (he felt like staying small)

Normal Abilities: He is a genius, IQ 173, and graduated from Columbia (had went to Harvard for two years). He has very high up connections.

Paranormal Abilities: He has earth manipulation, has visions of the past, present, and future happenings.

Weaknesses and Flaws: He cares to much, and will put himself in danger for the mission, or any one else. He is not good with threats, on other people. Gary is either to rash, or her thinks stuff out far too much (usually rash).

Likes/Interests: History, video games, goofing around, being lazy.

Dislikes: Doesn't really have any thing he strongly dislikes.

Physical Appearance:
-Nationality: America, from English decent.
-Height: 5 feet, 11 inches.
-Weight: 143 pounds
-Hair: He has longish brown hair, that always is messy like he got out of bed,.
-Eyes: His eyes are a deep, bright, forest green.
-Picture: http://media.photobucket.com/image/hair ... adi/84.jpg
-Other: He lost his scar.

Style of Dress: Normally dresses in plan button ups and cargos unless he feels differently. Usually dark colors. When working he wears a suit in meetings, and more cool, temperature wise, clothing he can run at a moments notice in, and keep gear in.

Personality: This fun loving guy. There is never a dull moment with him, he just radiates good times. Whenever you’re around him, time flies. He is a caring guy, though you would not guess at first sight of the loveable goof. He will do anything for a friend, and even enemies or strangers, believing everyone should get a second chance, most of the time, and tries to find the best in everyone.

Family/Friends/Pets:
John Overlander, Stepfather
Mary Overlander(formally Scaldiferri, before that Melcine), Mother
Gregory Scaldiferri, Father (dead)
Ballow Overlander, Stepbrother (dead. Died in Shadow battle)
Mary Overlander, sister
James Overlander, Half Brother

History: Will edit in later.

Up for Love?: No

Other:
Last edited by Bloo on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The mind of man is capable of anything - because everything is in it, all the past as well as all the future.
— Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness