z

Young Writers Society

The Safeway Discussion

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:13 am
Telina says...

I think it's getting boring just because everybody has some kind of God like character. There just seems to be somebody who always has one extra power that trumps another's, you know? I actually think I have the only human characters, plus the fact that we jumped into the action so soon.
It wasn't just a suspicious break in, it was a full fledged battle.
Oh my, I think before I made an attempt at editing I had said "like" ten times.
I must say, I'm deliriously tired.

But since I really don't want this storybook to crash, I suggest we have more human interactions. Maybe get the things with the crazy character cleared up, like why won't Daihn kill her, he's willing to kill everybody else. You know?
Also, I think that the leaders, like Bobby, and who ever else should start giving orders, so other characters have a little direction.
I believe it was Adam who wanted to give the story a direction, I'm right along with him.
I'm sort of rambling now, sorry. I shall go to bed and try and think of more productive ideas, hopefully they will actually make sence once I've had some sleep.

Reviews: 2
Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:01 pm
Monday says...

Hmmm... Should we start over? XD

Sorry guys, but this is the first time I've ever made a StoryBook. My cusion never told me how difficult it was to control it... Hehe.

Teline, you wanna help me out some... A lot?
Love of mine, someday you will die. But I'll be close behind, to follow you into the dark.
- Death Cab For Cutie

41 Reviews

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:48 pm
Telina says...

*Looks like a deer caught in the headlights* Ha-ha I've never done my own storybook either but I'm going to read a few other storybooks and I shall read the tip section and see if there's anything that can help us. =]

Starting over is a good idea. It depends on what everybody else thinks too.
So please, speak up everybody. Your opinion is vital!

We could all delete our posts. Keep the same characters, but there would have to be limits.
For example, everybody who is a mutants, can only have one power.
That way, there would never be just one character dominating fighting scenes, everybody would have to work as a team.
If somebody already has one power, then you have to pick another.

It was also be really good if there was more humans, I have two already, a male and a female, I could probably change the age of the male human to draw in other storybook writers.

Also deleting our previous posts will be less intimidating for new writers.

The one male and one female character system is good.

OK, so here are some tips I found that could be helpful to us, sorry this is long guys please bear with me.
1 - Make sure you have a plot
Don't start a storybook without at least a few general plot ideas. When you do this, it easily becomes to chaotic to continue, and people drop out. Once a few key people drop out, the storybook becomes pointless.

So I think everybody should suggest one plot idea.
Put you character into the story
Sometimes you may have trouble figuring out where to put your character in so they're engaging with someone. We're all guilty of posting something along the lines of "someone bring me in please?" Instead of doing this, try to put your character anywhere. In a room with another group of characters that are already talking, walking down the hallway toward another character, etc etc. And if none of that works, PM someone else in the storybook and ask them to engage with your character, instead of clogging up the storybook with "bring me in" posts.

God Modding Is Not Just A Perfect Character!!! Unfortunately, it is widely believed that "God-Modding" is only done by making a perfect character of which cannot be beaten, killed, or so on. Due to the fact that a lot of storybookers believe that a "god-mod" is a character whom is perfect, people make imperfect characters yet still rush them into situations bearing impossible odds that a normal human being could never beat, and better yet, they get rid of the rest of the storybookers to steal the limelight. People, that is God-Modding! This may be a storybook, and it may be fiction, but you still must make it believable. You must remember that your character cannot endure any more than you could if the situation were actually happening, magic or no.

Take other people into account.
Example: if the player above me writes that their character is having an emotional breakdown and really needs somebody, is my next post going to be to go to that bar where there are three other characters, without helping the player above get there too? Especially with new players, make sure you're considerate about looking after others' characters as well as your own. Keep them in the game.

Make their relationships with other characters interesting.
Remember that your character is supposed to be realistic, and real people like and dislike, fancy and can't stand others. When I say relationships, I don't mean only love, I also mean, think for a moment who your character is closest to, who their rivals are, etc. Give them different dimensions. If they would have petty arguments with another character in real life then let them have petty arguments in the Storybook.

A good example of two extremes, would be how Victoria is so infatuated with Bobby, and then how (sorry I forget the character's name) the boy with the gun hates everybody and is so crazy, that kind of variety is good.
People seem to be intimidated by the idea of puppeting someone else's character. Storybooks tend to die quite quick when everyone is waiting for everyone else's response.
Don't worry about getting the other character perfectly right, or offending their creator. The idea is that lots of people work on a story book, which means lots of people contribute to the development of its characters.
Although, in the same point, don't get offended or kick off if someone misinterprets your character - nobody will ever write about you again and you'll drift out of the story.

Okay I'm rambling and I doubt everybody will read all of this, but I hope you do.
[b]POINT BEING LET'S MAKE SOME DECISIONS HERE!!
ALL IN FAVOR OF STARTING OVER RAISE YOUR HAND![/b
]

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:24 pm
Monday says...

I raise my hand! So if we do start over we're going to have to edit our character profiles.
Love of mine, someday you will die. But I'll be close behind, to follow you into the dark.
- Death Cab For Cutie

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:18 pm
phantom_blackfire_wings says...

*raises hand*
"What are you doing?"
"I've got paint and rollers...water sking"~The Philanthropist

Don't push the Red Button

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:04 am
Flux says...

I'm dropping out. Sorry.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.

Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth."

-- Oscar Wilde

41 Reviews

Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:18 am
Telina says...

VOTES IN BY WEDNESDAY GUYS =]

216 Reviews

Reviews: 216
Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:35 am
asxz says...

Sorry.... I'm dropping out. I forgot about the storybook, then I got lost in the first couple of pages... Sorry guys!
::XoX::KeepWriting::XoX::

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Writing is 3% talent and 97% not being distracted by the internet

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:11 am
lizzifer says...

I'll raise my hand to a new story book becaus eI originally dropped out because I got really lost.
The one who smiles the most has something to hide.

..i'm lonely...message me..some how add me on your social networking site (unless you are some creepy weirdo who stalks girls for their organ harvesting company..i personally like them inside of me thankyou :) )

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:34 pm
jok101 says...

I'm dropping out sorry but if it's okay with you guys I'm gonna turn this into a book because I like the general idea and characters if you don't want your charecter to be in it it's fine I'll just make new charecters and Monday if I can't use this as an idea for a book to bad I can change the name of the place and change the name of the mutants to something like the gifted.

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:31 pm
thefireinmeisJC says...

*raises hand*

I'll come up with a plot suggestion later. *brainstorms*
Give hugs not bombs or whatever that saying says

Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:46 pm
Monday says...

Uh... Okay Jok101. But, that's kind of like stealing someone's idea. XD
- Death Cab For Cutie

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:40 pm
jok101 says...

Okay thanks sorry I should of kind of asked in a nicer way sorry

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:00 pm
In_the_Moonlight says...

Even though I did originally drop out I raise my hand. Jok you can use Mercedes if you do write a book, I don't mind. Still that'd be weird cause it's a storybook.... :?
If I can impact one person, just one, with my writing before I die, then I've lived a great life

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:48 pm
DSF says...

Ahhhh!! I am gone for a tad bit and then EVERYTHING changes. Sorry I haven't had time to write guys, I only just got on the computer and I only have a couple minutes. I don't have time to read the Actually storybook, and I don't think I will since we may be starting it over soon. But I am okay, if we are going to start it over then lets do it, but can I make a suggestion? Instead of saying that everyone can only have one power how about we make it 2 or something? I get the idea of Godmoding, and agree with that, but there is also a maturity level and some people can write with multiple powers and it is okay. So how about Monday can approve of people haveing more the one power.

Thats my 2 cents and Im fine either way

We're all stories in the end.
— 11th Doctor