z

Young Writers Society

DT: Academy for Heroes-In-Training

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:56 am
cheeb says...

Academy for Heroes-In-Training

This is based on the premise of having a group whose members are far-off descendants of famous heroes. The heroes in this series live at an academy being trained for their future profession, but often have to perform their heroic duties as the academy is frequently attacked by villains.

EDIT: The storybook has started and is located here. Please read this topic and post your profile before posting in the storybook thread.

Post your profile in here.

Name: (self-explanatory)
Ancestor: (who they inherited their abilities from) (include what series or world they're from)
Alliance: (hero, villain, neutral?)
Appearance: (what others see when they look at the character)
Personality: (what others see when they get to know the character)
Abilities: (see below)
Nemesis/Rival: (optional; can either be a descendant of the original character's nemesis or another member of the academy (even another player's character))
Other: (anything else, including the popular "up for love" statement)

Abilities
The abilities system in this game is a leveling-up type system. Each player starts at Level 0: at this stage they have only the most basic of their ancestor's powers. Each level-up increases their "stats", if you will, and may add a new ability as well. The scale goes up to level 10. For an example, see my profile below. You level up every ten posts; that is, every tenth post you make. I'll keep a tally of everyone's posts and PM you when you've hit 10, or 20, or whatever. That said, you don't have to level up immediately next post, but don't stockpile your posts and level up like 8 times in the same post, 'cause that's just dumb. See my profile below for an example of how you might display your abilities.

Rules
- No godmoding (duh). Heroes may be stronger than normal people but everyone has their weaknesses.
- No killing other players (duh) unless agreed by all parties involved.
- Please post once a week at least.
- Your character's ancestor should be a character featured in comics, cartoons or games who is extraordinary in some way (superpowers, magic, gadgets, etc). Your character, however, should not, and should be a (somewhat) original character.
- There is no rule to say the descendant of a hero can't be a villain, or vice versa.
- Posts must be about 200 words at least. I reserve the right to judge whether a post is sufficient to count towards your "experience" (this will be judged on both post length and quality of spelling and grammar). This rule will not be enforced per se, but you're only disadvantaging yourself by not putting the effort in as posts that aren't up to scratch won't count towards your levelup.
- Don't post things like * I can't think of anything! * in the storybook thread. If you're stuck, post in here.
- Please make sure your post correlates with things that have happened or are happening. I know it sounds obvious but I have seen (on another site) someone, having not properly read the last posts, making a post that simply didn't make any sense.
- Please post in English. You can have your character throw some foreign phrases into their speech. Just don't post in 13375|>33|<.
- *new* Double/triple/multiple posting is not permitted unless it has been 5 days since you last posted, and no one else has posted in that time.

Name: Zeke the Hedgehog
Ancestor: Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Alliance: Hero
Appearance: Looks similar to Sonic, but is turquoise in colour with brown eyes. Wears a black leather jacket and boots. Also his eyes do not "connect" in the middle, but are separate.
Personality: Though he, like his ancestor, is ready, willing and able to help those in need, Zeke lacks Sonic's smart-alec attitude. He's also naive, and often oblivious to trickery.
Abilities:
Level 0: Can run at superhuman speeds.
Level 1: Is able to perform the Spin Dash (rolls into a ball and propels himself forward).
Level 2: Speed increases slightly.
Level 3: Is able to perform the Homing Attack (in midair, rolls into a ball and propels himself at a nearby target).
Level 4: Endurance increases slightly.
Level 5: Is able to perform Chaos Spear (charges a buildup of Chaos energy in his hand and propels it at a nearby target).
Level 6: Strength increases slightly.
Level 7: Speed increases moderately.
Level 8: Is able to perform Chaos Blast (charges a buildup of Chaos energy within himself and forces an explosion that damages everything within a 3 metre radius).
Level 9: Speed increases dramatically.
Level 10: Is able to undergo a Super transformation (using the energy from 7 Chaos Emeralds, transforms for a brief period into a golden glowing version of himself that is faster, stronger, invulnerable to most attacks and able to fly. In this form his spines float upward and his eyes turn red).
Rival: Kenny Robotnik
Other: He likes pie.
Last edited by cheeb on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
the user formerly known as chibibo

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:39 am
Nutty says...

Rawr.

Name: Kumo Strife
Ancestor: Cloud Strife
Alliance: Neutral/hero
Appearance: She has short, stylized, bone white hair with one braid on the right side of her face. Her form is lean, and muscular, her arms especially so. She has long eyelashes and a strong chin. Her eyes are a startling blue, and he carries a large, very old two-handed sword strapped to her back at all times.
Personality: She is usually a private person, but is friendly enough. Has a dangerous temper, and a sharp tongue. Can, on occasion, be strangely boisterous and loud.
Abilities:
Level 0: Slash attacks with Buster Sword.
1: Increased melee damage
2: Counterattack lvl1- when attacked, has a chance to have a counter strike.
3: Basic Ice magic: Low-level Ice damage.
4: Increased melee damage
5: Counterattack lvl2- increased chance of counter strike.
6: Fire magic: Mid level Fire damage
7: Increased melee damage
8: Lightening magic: High-level electrical damage
9: Barrier-All: Puts up a temporary shield on all allies to physical damage.
10: Summon: Bahamut; A large, powerful creature that sends a shot of energy at all opponents. Very high damage, one attack per summon- Kumo needs a few seconds to gather the energies required.
Rival:
Other: Her sword is inherited, and her most treasured possession. She will not part with it, and believes it represents her warrior’s honor, and her dreams.

It's been sitting on Word for weeks now, lol!
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:32 pm
Conrad Rice says...

Name:Eden
Ancestor:Taskmaster(Marvel Universe)(his grandfather on his mother's side)
Alliance:hero
Appearance:medium build, black hair, brown eyes
Personality:kind, but paranoid and cynical
Abilities:
Level 0: Photographic reflexes(if he sees it, he can do it)
Level 1: Increased attributes(strength, speed, stamina)
Level 2: Advanced reflexes(bordering on precognition)
Level 3: Advanced intellect(plots out battles beforehand)
Level 4: Limited precogniton
Level 5: Telepathy
Level 6: Superhuman increase in attributes
Level 7: Minor telekinesis
Level 8: Super analytical mind(actively plots out course of battle during a battle)
Level 9: Medium telekinesis
Level 10: Advanced mental powers
Nemesis/Rival: Barringer(wolf man who is behind most key events in history, or so Eden claims)
Other: His dad is a plumber. Don't suggest that his dad is Mario or Luigi though, if you want to remain healthy.
Last edited by Conrad Rice on Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:34 pm
Bloo says...

Name: Nick Copper
Ancestor: Flash, and a female green lantern
Alliance: Hero
Appearance: He has short blond hair, blue green eyes. He is tall and strong looking. His costume is like the flashes but blue with a pure white lightning bolt
Abilities:
Level 0: Can Stop time
Level 1: gains a lantern ring ( weak one)
Level 2: slow it more
Level 3: gains the ability to form some weapons with ring
Level 4: learns to go faster, out side of freeze
Level 5: can make more with the ring
Level 6: Strength increases slightly.
Level 7: can slow time more
Level 8: Gets a better ring
Level 9: Can freeze time completely
Level 10: Obtains super speed.
Rival: Has none
Other: likes pranks

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:26 am
Hannah says...

Name: Aislara
Ancestor: Dora from Dora the Explorer
Alliance: Undecided, though she’ll most likely tend towards villain to get away from her mother’s reputation.

Appearance: Aislara is beautiful but her personality runs over into her facial features and makes them appear less pretty than they normally would be. Her hair is naturally dark brown with warm, rusty honey highlights that accentuate her hair’s natural waves. Eyes that match her hair color peek out from eyelashes she keeps over-done with mascara, but her face is natural and pleasantly tanned. She’s a normal sized girl, nothing extraordinary about her body, but she keeps in shape.

Personality: Aislara is, in some ways, a typical, rebellious teenager. She broods often and prefers to spend time alone, because she’s actually quite ashamed of her mother and her mother’s reputation. For this reason, she’s nearly the opposite of her cheerful, fair, kind, adventurous mother. She was forced to attend the academy because her family expected her to, but she has no enthusiasm to be there. She’d rather be home reading.

Abilities:
Level 0: The red boots she always wears make her slightly more agile than normal people.
Level 1: She discovers the heirloom, purple backpack she was given holds endless amounts of materials.
Level 2: She discovers the heirloom, worn-out map she was given will show her the quickest possible way to whatever she wants to find and wherever she wants to go.
Level 3: She discovers a small pamphlet that teaches her how to use her monkey bones as an accurate fortune-telling system with limitations.
Level 4: She discovers the mask and gloves that her mother stole from ‘Swiper’, her nemesis. Discovers that the mask gives her heightened senses of smell and hearing and helps her be more logical, but it also causes her to sprout whiskers, fox ears, and a fox tail. She can control these powers automatically, but the gloves spring out claws which she can’t master yet.
Level 5: Now discovers how to use her gloves to their full potential – they’re her only weapon, but are also useful for scaling walls and stuff.
Level 6: Comes across a bag of antique charms in the shape of a grasshopper, a snail, and a frog. The first one she can control is the grasshopper, which gives her the ability to leap high and far!
Level 7: Now she discovers that the use of the snail charm gives her a temporary force field which she can summon on command.
Level 8: The frog charm, based off of a poison dart frog, will produce poison darts when connected to her blue gloves. When disconnected, however, it will only give her a slight hint of camouflage, only useful in dimly-lit situations.
Level 9: Aislara now discovers that her wooden flute, again passed down from her mother, can control the will of whoever she directs the melody at for a limited amount of time.
Level 10: Discovers the ability to use all her charm powers without the presence of the charms. This also means that she can have the poison of the frog soak into her glove’s claws if she chooses.
Nemesis/Rival: No nemesis/rival as of yet.

Other: Aislara has a pet toucan named Moco who’s actually rather mischievous and frequently steals little baubles when he finds them. Aislara likes to keep them hidden in a box and refuses to return them. She also uses Spanish phrases rather often, a trait picked up from her mother that she strongly regrets. Aislara also has a phobia of foxes and anything fox-like.

53 Reviews

Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:18 am
View Likes
cheeb says...

We've reached our first 5! Just so you know, all the profiles posted so far meet with my approval. :P

Is everyone comfortable to start the actual storybook, or do we want to try and get some more players first?

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:33 am
Hannah says...

^_^ I'd be comfortable starting unless you think having an already-started Storybook would discourage more people from joining. To be honest, this is my first time joining a storybook! ^_^ Anyways, yep. My opinion. xD ~

Also, I was just wondering if it's appropriate to bring in little side characters during the plot when necessary? I mean, I've done different sorts of roleplaying and you're able to bring in small characters to fill the needs of the story. Is that allowed here as well? And writing a bit with other peoples' characters /is/ allowed, right? ^_^ Teehee, sorry I'm asking so many questions, I just wouldn't want to overstep any boundaries because of ignorance!

Thanks~

-Hannah-

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:36 am
Conrad Rice says...

I'd be perfectly comfortable with starting it now. I second a lot of Hannah's questions, namely the one about bringing in secondary characters.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

53 Reviews

Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:36 am
cheeb says...

NPCs (non-player characters) are fine; in fact they will be necessary, since there are no playable teachers/trainers/whatever, and no playable heroes/villains that don't attend the Academy. Of course, focus mainly on your own character.

Writing other players' characters in your posts is alright as long as they remain in character, ie: act the way they should according to their personality.

Also, yay. XD

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:29 pm
Aet Lindling says...

Edit: Matt messaged me saying my profile was approved. ^^

Name: Gratian
Ancestor: Robin Hood
Alliance: Neutral
Appearance: Wears gray tattered clothes, declines anything else. He has blue-gray eyes, brown hair, and a scrawny body.
Personality: Doesn't like to talk much, although this isn't extended to the point of refusing to talk unless absolutely necessary. Still has a somewhat immature personality, due to only being 10.
Abilities:
Level 0: Has good aim with a bow and arrow.
Level 1: Has good aim with anything.
Level 2: Can throw knives properly.
Level 3: Aim is very good.
Level 4: Agility increases.
Level 5: Speed increases.
Level 6: Strength increases, he is now strong enough to use a more powerful bow that can shoot farther.
Level 7: Aim is excellent.
Level 8: Eyesight increases.
Level 9: Aim is very excellent.
Level 10: Eyesight is almost telescopic.
Rival: None as of yet.
Other: Up for love, you pedophile.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:48 am
vet4life13 says...

Name: Slim Parker
Ancestor: Peter Parker (Spiderman)
Alliance: Villian
Appearance: Red hair of his mother, slim but strong body. Green eyes, horseshoe shaped scar on his cheek. 5'6, with long hair that sweeps over his eyes.
Personality: Very mysterious; hardly anyone knows anything about him. A smart-aleck, and really quick when it comes to jokes. He's not short of temper, but when he does get angry, you don't want to be anywhere near.
Abilities:
Level 0: Can shoot web, but cannot swing from anything
Level 1: Strength increases
Level 2: Spider sense, but only when danger is extremely great
Level 3: Can jump pretty far
Level 4: Can climb walls for a short distance
Level 5: Vision improves
Level 6: Can swing with web off of buildings
Level 7: Improved spider sense
Level 8: Lenghtened jump
Level 9: Can climb tall walls
Level 10: Max spider sense, max wall-climbing, max jumping,
Rival: Nick Copper
Other: ---

There you go guys! I updated. Thanks Mattster for accepting!

Vet
Last edited by vet4life13 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

53 Reviews

Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:11 am
cheeb says...

From the Storybook thread:
boltageman wrote:* can someone bring me in please*

Please use the Discussion Thread for posts like this. That's what it's here for.

vet4life> Approved, but would you mind describing your level 10 power for those of us that may be unfamiliar with them? ;)

Aet> Yes, yes I did.

57 Reviews

Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:26 pm
vet4life13 says...

I'll bring you in, boltageman.

Vet

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:54 pm
Bloo says...

thanks vet, but what do i say to strike up a conversation? He is apparently hiding himself from me so who is he poseing as?

57 Reviews

Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:41 am
vet4life13 says...

Bman,

Slim is basically trying to find a weakness in you. He and a few other villians are conspiring to attack the academy while the new students are just enrolling. That's basically my "master plan".

Vet

I feel like it will be absolute hotdog water, but oh well. It's just a draft.
— Charm