z

Young Writers Society

High School Never Ends DT

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:02 am
andimlovegalore says...

Now we have a discussion thread! Howsat ^__^

I thought I'd take this opportunity to fix some confusion about school in the UK.

Okay.

You start school at 4 or 5. This is reception year.

Then you start infant school. This is year 1 and 2. At the end of year 2 you take SATs which aren't very important, they're just government targets. a 2 is average, 3 above average, 1 below.

Then you start junior school. This is year 3, 4, 5 and 6. At the end of year 6 (at age 10-11) you take more SATs, this time a 4 is average, 5 above, 3 below. Some people get a 6, this is sort of special. These SATs are a tiny bit more important because if you want to get into a good high school (also known as secondary school) they can count.

High School (aka secondary school) is from year 7-13, but compulsory education ends at year 11 (age 16). In year 11 you take GCSEs which are important for life, you normally take about 10 (or I did) and it's graded from E-A*.

In year 12 you take AS levels which are important, you take from about 3-5 of these.
In year 13 you take your final exam, A2, and your AS and A2 results are combined to form an A level, which is what goes on your form to get you into university.

SO to break down the ages for high school:

First year - year 7 - 11-12
Second year - year 8 - 12-13
Third year - year 9 - 13-14
Fourth year - year 10 - 14-15
Fifth year - year 11 - 15-16
Sixth year - year 12 - 16-17
Seventh year - year 13 - 17-18

Only 7-11 are compulsory by law. Years 12 and 13 are refered to as sixth form, 12 being lower sixth and 13 being upper six (that's because the old year-grading system used to be different and when they changed it for other years, 12 and 13 stayed the same in a lot of places).

Any questions? =] Ow my wrist hurts from writing all that!

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:33 am
fun4eva says...

Umm....do the people from year 11, 12 and 13 have classes together? I mean, in the story Sam, Rebecca and Leon sit together while Rebecca is supposed to be 16 i think and Leon and Sam are 15. Just asking. Sorry if I am wrong and this question is dumb..

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:15 pm
andimlovegalore says...

No you're right, they shouldn't be in the same classes. It's just inconsistant writing -_-

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:17 am
.:Echelon:. says...

well actuallly, i have in year 11 15 and 16 year olds, as you've said in the late comment.
Every rose has it's thorn..
Just like every night has it's dawn.

I've matured a lot and I realised it was time to come back.. for good!

here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a treee called life; which grows higher than the soul can home or mind can hide) and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)
— e.e. cummings