z

Young Writers Society

The Rainwater Society [OOC]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:32 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

For sure! She definitely needs to meet some more people first.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

112 Reviews

Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:35 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Hey there Shady I think you're up next
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:41 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Oop, I am behind, my bad. I’ll try to sneak on a laptop tomorrow to post — so if I haven’t given something in the next 24 hours please poke me again…

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:22 pm
View Likes
NewHope says...

I had this idea of where Layla could become more familiar with the other townspeople. Something similar to a fair (How do you spell that again? ?Fete?) or more probably some type of market.
Swan Queen's little sister in-law/caretaker since 2022

112 Reviews

Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:39 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Everything seems correct in there. What's Fete?
That does sound interesting. If this is a farming town there could be a farmer's market maybe, but markets aren't as much of a thing in old 2022. A fair would be more likely, and even then it would be kinda weird considering the size of the town and the fact that the majority of its inhabitants are seniors or well over 25 at the very least. Maybe a fair in the next town over that everyone attends? Or a festival like we were discussing earlier; that's usually smaller and more personal than a fair.

she/her

30 Reviews

Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:28 pm
View Likes
NewHope says...

I feel like this is a very, very, very old fashioned town. Which would probably mean most of the population is made up of adults. (Something that was hinted at in Shady’s first post where they discussed how the teenagers working for their character were the only people their character could get to work for them.) So like a market where some people are selling old books, maybe some coins or other memorabilia plus maybe like a food aspect. Or maybe just a farmers market.

I think the problem with a fair is because the place is very old fashioned. (I don’t know why, that was just always my view on it.) I do however think a fete would work the best. (A fete is a public function, typically held outdoors and organized to raise funds for a charity, including entertainment and the sale of goods and refreshments.) Maybe a church fete or a church fete covering up the fact it is raising money for the Rainwater Society.

112 Reviews

Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:14 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

The idea of a fete works for me! It seeks in keeping with the town function

she/her

30 Reviews

Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:24 pm
View Likes
NewHope says...

Oops… I just realized we don’t even need a special event or anything. Layla can just go to church and… We can still obviously do the fete. I completely forgot about this…

112 Reviews

Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:16 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

I vibe with both options honestly.

Also I've been reading Robert W Chambers and H.P. Lovecraft recently and "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" is so deliciously cultish I love it.
Some classically Lovecraftian bs going on in that story but I'm trying not to let it ruin the cosmic horror side of things.

she/her

30 Reviews

Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:25 pm
View Likes
NewHope says...

Ooo… that’s a nice one. I remember this long talk we had at Writer’s Club about it. Lovecraftian cults are so well thought through. I do usually stick to less sci-fi ones but there is another nice horror. I think it’s called something like “Colour Over Space” or “Colour Out Of Space”. It’s about a meteorite that releases something that bends reality. Like people going into a trance and see these really weird things. (Might be cool to have some type of trance near the end. I’d love to confuse Layla like that.)

I think church works best because of simplicity compared to constructing a whole fete. And we need to hear about Nicholas Aspen - the good guy.

112 Reviews

Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:40 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Not sure Nicholas is really a good guy, more of a guy struggling with his own morality.

I do wish Lovecraft would be a little less....ya know. But yes, I enjoy his cults, especially Dagon's cult.

she/her

30 Reviews

Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:48 pm
View Likes
NewHope says...

He’s like the only person not in the cult… that is going to try to kill Layla. He’s looking pretty good when that’s the standard. But… his whole character hints at that. In the bar. Arguments. Etc.

Expressive… you mean. Yes… “Colour Out Of Space” has a much too expressive scene in the attic. I really like The Church Of Starry Wisdom in Lovecraft’s books. It was one of the things that actually half-half inspired this roleplay.

112 Reviews

Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:57 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Racist was the word I was going for but yeah. I gotta read Colour Out of Space still; that's next on my list after I finish Shadow Over Innsmouth and then The King in Yellow by Robert W Chambers.

And yeah that's fair. Nicholas has his issues but at least he's not trying to kill people! We'll see if he works out his other issues over the course of this rp.

she/her

30 Reviews

Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:08 pm
View Likes
NewHope says...

Oh… yes… that is the other one… I’ve got to read King in Yellow… currently I am reading The Masque Of The Red Death by Edgar Allan Poe at school and Christine by Stephen King at home.

I’m really interested to see where his character goes. Whether he’ll hear something and try help Layla or try stop the cult or the end be so broken he joins it. I think Nicholas at this point is a very unpredictable character. I think at the moment everything is so outright but vague enough to leave a lot of questions and hooks to keep a person interested.

112 Reviews

Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:35 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

*pokes @Shady dutifully*

she/her

Follow your inner moonlight; don't hide the madness
— Allen Ginsburg