z

Young Writers Society

LSS: The Last Word OOC

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:41 am
View Likes
Plume says...

I'm leaning towards the side of different names; even though it'd mean coming up with two names, I think it might be easier in terms of not confusing the two. I also really enjoy the idea of the pharmacy just having a super normal name and being a cover for this glamorous-sounding, illegal speakeasy.

One thing I do think we should establish is the person who died. Does anyone have any ideas as to who they should be? I think we should definitely establish a clear gang tie to them to start somewhere with the plot, but do we want to have our characters know the victim as well? Should only some of the characters know the victim? And then of course the more basic things to decide, like name, gender, etc. What do y'all think?
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.

1232 Reviews

Reviews: 1232
Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:53 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

Different names are a good idea. The store itself could be simply named after the owner or the street it´s located and the speakeasy has its own name. Since some sort of alcohol had more prominent names after Hollywood stars during prohibition, why not use something nobler or the name of an actress/actor?

We also need some sort of password to get into the speakeasy or should we even add little cards? I found some on the Internet and they looked really neat.

For the murdered person: We could take the police chief's wife, who likes to go out for a drink. Maybe she then blurted out some things she shouldn't, that she heard from her husband. (or she has received information that she was not allowed to hear?)
Reality is a prison and time is its guard

I´m just a random girl with gentle manners

Every bad voice in your head was once outside

1232 Reviews

Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:00 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

I have now briefly thought up a kind of synopsis for the plot. This is only an example, so it can be stretched, deleted and changed.

Plot idea: After the murder of person X, the drug store on the same street comes under some suspicion and due to internal conflicts within the speakeasy that was considered neutral ground for the different gangs of Chicago, more murders happen because nobody can trust each other anymore. Suddenly witnesses and evidence also disappear.

Through the investigation of the protagonists (us), it turns out that the murder was not just a one-sided plan but goes deep within the ranks of the Chicago police and it shows that sometimes the gangs go about their work with more honour than the police.

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:50 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

I like that idea, Mailicede! It does seem like it will be complicated once we actually get into it, but it would definitely be fun to write.

Name wise, I like the street corner idea/basic name like "Johnson and Co. Pharmacy" and then the speakeasy having a celebrity name.

For celebrities, here's some: Babe Ruth, Shoeless Joe Jackson, Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Lillian Gish, Charles Lindbergh (famous flight was in 1927), Josephine Baker, Coco Chanel, or we could do famous last names like Vanderbilt, Rockafeller, Chrysler, etc. whos names would relate to wealth and such.

I know we definitely don't have finalized options, but my vote's for one of the Vanderbilt/Chrysler names or Shoeless Joe Jackson so we could have "Shoeless (Joe's) Speakeasy." :)

672 Reviews

Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:24 am
View Likes
Plume says...

I do agree that it would be a little complicated, especially with more deaths happening. I do like the idea of evidence and witnesses being hard to track down because that would present more roadblocks for our characters.

I'm also leaning against having the murder be the police chief's wife. I feel like then it would make it a lot harder for our characters to investigate, since the police chief would probably want to know who killed his wife and would put a lot of people on the case. I feel like the victim should be someone slightly more insignificant.

I like the idea of the wealth-related names a lot! Would we call it just the Vanderbilt speakeasy, or something fancier, like the Golden Vanderbilt or something along those lines?

Also, how well known/frequented is this speakeasy? Is it one of the more popular ones? I feel like it would be better if it was maybe a little less glamorous/popular, and then it would kind of be funny since it would be at odds with the name if we choose to have a more glamorous/wealthy name.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:39 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

I like the Golden Vanderbilt, and something like Johnson and Co for the pharmacy. So far, the synopsis is looking good.

What if the victim is a young-ish (late 20s?) white collar professional, unmarried, handsome, but from a relatively unremarkable family, so it's not like he has people that would pay money to find out what happened to him.

I haven't thought any further than that, but it could work. I also have to fill out my character bio still, but I'll do that when I have some free time.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

1232 Reviews

Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:22 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

I like the names of the speakeasy and the cover store. They sound fitting.

I didn't even think about what Plume said about the police chief's wife. I'm sure he'll use the whole team to solve the case and make headlines in Chicago (and maybe all of Illinois?). That would really be complicated...

What if the victim is a young-ish (late 20s?) white collar professional, unmarried, handsome, but from a relatively unremarkable family, so it's not like he has people that would pay money to find out what happened to him.

I like that idea. Perhaps to create a connection to the Golden Vanderbilt, he did the bookkeeping there to earn something on the side? I suppose the speakeasies had to have some idea whether they were making a profit or not. So the only one who would be interested in knowing who killed him would be the owner of the speakeasy. (If at all)

142 Reviews

Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:40 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

I like the bookkeeping idea! But, how would he have connections to the gangs? I know the gangs hang out there/use it as neutral ground, but I'm confused on how this one bookkeeper would start all these fueds.

Also, it would be cool if we got to know this guy in the first couple of posts and then he's killed off (so the SB wouldn't start with him dying), so we have some background on him.

672 Reviews

Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:31 am
View Likes
Plume says...

Maybe he did some sort of mundane service for certain gangs too? Or maybe he had former ties/found something out about someone/something going on?

It would be interesting to get to know the guy! Would we be doing that through our character's perspectives or would we have someone write or jointly write a couple of posts all about the victim? Also, my votes for names are either Oliver or Henry.

Also, do we want to have any of our own characters be close to the victim?

1232 Reviews

Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:50 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

Perhaps accountant Henry O. Grant. (or Oliver H. Grant) got a little frustrated with his life and started gambling illegally and also needed the money. So he started working in the speakeasy, but that wasn't enough to finance the debts and then did some accounting for various gangs as well (or maybe gave inside info as he works in some important company, passed it on, etc...) and has now fallen into a hole of lies and debt Maybe he also slept with some daughter or wife of a gang boss...

I think it would be useful to know the murdered person a little bit, in order to perhaps also recognise what kind of character he has. (Maybe if I take my idea further, he is abstinent (in alcohol) but not in gambling).

Also, do we want to have any of our own characters be close to the victim?

I think that's a good idea. That way at least one of us is in contact with him before he is killed, and then we have some information ready to share with the rest. (I would then recommend that the one who is then in contact with H.O.G. also makes his character sheet).

142 Reviews

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:02 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

I like the gambling/debt idea and, yeah, the sleeping with the girlfriend/wife could have been the breaking point that got him murdered.

Hmm, I do like the name Olivier way better than Henry, but if we do Henry his initials will be HOG..

Also, Mailice mentioned getting together to finish the character sheets and such in the WFP, is anyone free this weekend?

1232 Reviews

Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:43 am
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

I assume we live all in different time zones (mine is CET), so it will be evening for me when it is noon/afternoon for you. But I can also be active a little longer into the night if it's only convenient for you in the evening. Or we can also make a deadline (like the 21st) to have at least our characters finished and start to create a bit more of a story.

672 Reviews

Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:24 pm
View Likes
Plume says...

I can do most times Sunday this week, and Monday for me is a holiday, so I could do most times then as well. My timezone is EST. If we can't coordinate a time, I think that a deadline would work well.

Also, @looseleaf, just checking, you're our captain, right? I don't think anyone else expressed interest in the signup besides you. Just wanted to check!

142 Reviews

Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:43 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

I can be captain if no one else wants to, sure, but if someone else wants to feel free!

Also, I'm in CST timezone wise, and I'm free this evening, tomorrow evening, and all day Monday.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:03 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Oliver is a good name!

I'm just hanging around at home so I'll be on YWS if anyone wants to hop into the WFP, just poke me.

Sorry about my short responses, I've been very busy but I'm on board with this RP. I'll finish my profile before the week is over as well.

My discord is also Ellie #4115 if anyone wants to ping me on there as well.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

I send you buckets full of stars, the prettiest rainbow I've ever seen and a really adorable unicorn
— Zenith