z

Young Writers Society

Group 2 [OOC]

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:31 pm
QuoolQuo says...

I’m not very familiar with dark fantasy? Is it similar to gothic?

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:48 pm
SalemReine says...

It’s more fantasy that is horrific, gory, or scary. Think less Harry Potter and more Coraline.
Was WrenZorya

If I perish, I perish~ Esther, a long long time ago

64 Reviews

Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:57 pm
QuoolQuo says...

Oh, so it is more gothic - that’s cool

64 Reviews

Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:02 pm
QuoolQuo says...

Now, regarding setting, should we use a fantasy-type landscape? (Even something simple such as a haunted forest) or should we use some time period in our own world? (Going into urban fantasy I guess)

Or just combine the two for a fantasy setting BASED off a particular time period (e.g. a personal favourite of mine - the 1920’s)
Last edited by QuoolQuo on Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

36 Reviews

Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:36 pm
SalemReine says...

I like both, who are the characters that you guys are using?
Was WrenZorya

64 Reviews

Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:15 pm
View Likes
QuoolQuo says...

Here’s the description for my character, I hope it’s clear enough

Spoiler! :

Name: Neophytos (17, he/him)

Appearance: Skin is a dark olive from his hours out in the sun and hair is dark as oak wood.

Brief rundown: Not exactly the most outgoing soul in the world, prefers to be left by himself in his garden tending plants. His father is a potter in the region of Arcadia, Ancient Greece, and his mother is rumoured to be a flower nymph thus the reason why he is so good with plants, though he has never met her. Uses the broken and discarded pots to grow his plants in and cares for them more than anything else in the world.
Doesn’t really have any powers or particular fighting ability, though if a situation was to get dire, his plants would be inclined to help him.

36 Reviews

Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:29 am
View Likes
SalemReine says...

Ooh that’s really good!
Was WrenZorya

64 Reviews

Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:00 am
View Likes
QuoolQuo says...

Thanks! Yours also looks like a little firecracker of fun

278 Reviews

Reviews: 278
Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:50 am
LittleLee says...

Here's my character!

Spoiler! :

Name: Goes by Blaze

Appearance: Wears a silky black coat that flares our from the waist and has an attached cowl. His features are completely hidden by an ivory-white mask he has on at all times. He fights with a quarterstaff, which he's excellent with, and a rapid-fire crossbow (I based this off Leonardo Da Vinci's model) when in ranged combat.

Other skills: He can cook very well, and carries a small pouch of aromatic herbs beneath his coat. He also knows embroidery.

Occupation: Bounty hunter. He made a name for himself in the field, and while not very well-known, those who hear of him know his worth.

Personality: He prefers not to talk, but secretly takes great interest in what he calls the Game; he loves plotting and manoeuvring with just about anyone except those he truly cares about. Dropping hints, carefully weighing information, reading people; he tries his best to attach strings to everyone. And he's pretty good.
As a person, he's hard to get close to, but he has no qualms with working alongside others. He can be perfectly respectful and cordial when he wants to.
"I believe a man does what he can until his destiny is revealed to him."

64 Reviews

Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:21 am
View Likes
QuoolQuo says...

Nice! I remember this guy from the Odin storybook (I wonder what will happen with that?) but anyway... what’s next?
I suppose we should probably figure out if these characters of ours are friends or not and what exactly is going on

278 Reviews

Reviews: 278
Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:26 am
LittleLee says...

Yep, he's from there. As for Odin; I think a couple of members are a bit inactive and everyone's just waiting for [i]something[/s] to happen. Might have to kickstart it again soon.

Okay, so combing your ideas; dark fantasy set in the 1920s, right? I don't know much about how the West was during that time period, so can we have this on a different world?
"I believe a man does what he can until his destiny is revealed to him."

64 Reviews

Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:58 am
QuoolQuo says...

Well I used 1920’s as an example because it’s so jazzy, but if there are any other cool historical settings you can think of that’s cool, I’m open to whatever we end up with.

Picking up on your other world suggestion though (as well as from this play I read in school) perhaps the setting could be some kind of mysterious otherworld like Hades in Greek mythology or The Upside Down in stranger things. I feel that would definitely help to add in the unsettling side of things and could open up some interesting ways of how our characters got there in the first place as well as how they’re going to get out.

36 Reviews

Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:28 pm
SalemReine says...

Maybe some kind of 1920’s alternate dimension/other world thing? Perhaps they all come from different worlds and they meet in this weird Inbetween?
Was WrenZorya

64 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:59 am
QuoolQuo says...

Yeah, perhaps it’s a kind of between space ‘in the cracks sort thing’ and lots of parts of history and realities get washed up in it
e.g.
Along one street you’ve got some knights strolling down to a jazz club while around the corner you have some ancient Egyptians testing out steampunk devices

Does that make sense? I’m just tossing around ideas

36 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:11 am
SalemReine says...

Yes that sounds awesome! So we can have our characters from their respective times and it will all make sense.
How should they meet? Do they frequent taverns or cafe’s?
Was WrenZorya

I AM NOT GOING "FULL COW" ON SOMEBODYYYYYY
— whatchamacallit