z

Young Writers Society

Battle School DT

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Tue May 30, 2017 6:57 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

Ah, Zeus' got a point. About the fact that Western lands are the origins of your characters, @jimss23, but that they're not mentioned in the lore, I mean.

As for my idea, I'll put its current state in a spoiler as soon as the CT's in.
...Oh, we're encouraged to create our own storylines inside the SB? Ohoh, boy, that's all I needed to hear :twisted: I'll go Full Power for this then, nihihihihihi...
Houses conflict + big villain attacking us at some point. Welp, that's a start.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Tue May 30, 2017 7:07 pm
jimss23 says...

As for the westernlands, they are part of the Middlelands. There are easternlands and westernlands but they are geographically similar and have a similar social structure.
This is the Rule of Three
Every writer's most sacred oath
Two boys to challenge each other
One girl to challenge them both

-Jim

40 Reviews

Tue May 30, 2017 7:13 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

You may want to add that somewhere, since it might be confusing. Must admit I just thought it was a separate place, too.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?

52 Reviews

Tue May 30, 2017 7:25 pm
jimss23 says...

Map

For your reference, a basic map of the world.

Spoiler! :

Battle School Map.png

The Gray in the middle of the Island is the Capital region, where Battle School is located.
The southernlands are the bottom that tan region. The lighter tan represents the mountain region. and northernlands the top with the five kingdoms. The island over to the right is the "Badlands". Unexplored. Uncharted. The villains come from here, but there are also lost civilizations, temples, ruins, towns, etc. etc.

That island is free for whatever you want to do there. Go wild. Except for the top left, as that is where my villain, Crucin, is. So ask me before venturing there.

You are also free to create cities or towns on the main island as suits your story. Feel free to create unique places too. Don't worry about trying to make sure it "fits". Just don't go too wild.

-Jim

40 Reviews

Tue May 30, 2017 7:34 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

I am SO making my character make fun of whichever cheesy geograph named that place "The Badlands" without even fully knowing what's in there XD

Wild, but not too wild. Heh. Works for me!

52 Reviews

Tue May 30, 2017 8:42 pm
View Likes
jimss23 says...

Go for it. :3

-Jim

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue May 30, 2017 11:30 pm
Basil says...

I'mma gonna join :3 I have three weeks of my course left so I don't know how active I'll be, but I'll try and make a character as soon as I can ^^

(Awesome first SB by the way man :3 it's gonna be epic!!)
Dorian, are you the one adding all the spices to our food?
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Wed May 31, 2017 3:45 am
Lael says...

Hello! Let me think about joining, since this seems interesting. Also, if you want to delete your "blank" posts on the actual SB, just ask @Sassafras to delete hers first, then things should be good!
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Wed May 31, 2017 8:11 am
Sassafras says...

On it
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Wed May 31, 2017 7:19 pm
LordZeus says...

CP submitted @jimss23. Sorry for the length, I tend to make very detailed characters. Please tell me if you want me to change anything.

52 Reviews

Wed May 31, 2017 11:53 pm
View Likes
jimss23 says...

@LordZeus

I like it in general. However, we have to make some slight adjustments. I want to avoid tight relationships with high profile people as much as possible. I don't mind him being a Jace per se, but Lady Jace is an only child (that is why she is the head of the family). I am open to making him a cousin to Lady Jace, as I think that might fill a similar role, and would make the death of his mother play much better, as if Marr openly killed the late Lady Jace, that would cause some problems. However, killing a relative might have less drastic consequences, especially when the killer's identity is ambiguous.

On that note, I changed his relatives from the South from Lady Marr to a Southern noble who you are free to name. The direct bloodline of House Marr is not likely to be mixed with House Jace in all but the most outlying occasions. Having him be somewhat related through his mother's side makes much more sense.

I will also include a little more detailed guide to the Houses, people, great families and political scene so that you will have more references to draw from as you are going down that route. I like the sigil that you created. We can use that one going forth.

I like the idea of him using fire magic despite the fact that he is from the North. Blends well with the anger issues over his mother's death.

I am also fine with him lighting his blades on fire, but it will have to be superficial. This will be mentioned more in my Great Families guide, but one House is known distinctly for their ability to merge fire with weapons. Not saying you can't have it, but since he is a high ranking person, we need to make sure that he doesn't start possessing all the powers of the great houses.

Keep in mind that because he is a Jace, his activities will have political consequences, where other OC's activities may not. He can't go around hurting people or doing anything that might upset the political climate. Again, not saying you can't do it, but we have to try to keep everything in balance.

I made some spelling and grammar corrections to the description, but I didn't change anything outside of what I mentioned here. If you believe that one of these elements should be reversed I encourage debate. This is your story, I just want to make it as balanced as possible. Not accusing you of God-modding by any means, but I need to keep some level of fairness between everyone.

-Jim

52 Reviews

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:15 am
jimss23 says...

Great Houses and Families

In the World of Battleschool, there are two great Houses, Multiple minor houses, Three Main Great Families, and Many minor Great families.

Great Families

The Great Families are extended families of mages who all specialize in a specific kind of magic and are renown as the greatest practitioners of these arts in the world.

If you want to have your character have a unique power or ability, I encourage you to create your own minor Great Family as this is a lore friendly way to have your character have one more powerful ability right off the bat. However, know that your OC will likely need to specialize to remain lore friendly.

The three Main Great Families are the Rayis Family, theWells Familyand the De Leon Family.

The Rayis Family specialty is Plasma Magic. This unique combination of Fire and Lightning means that use this highly volatile energy discharge for a variety of purposes. Like most great houses, individual family members make use of the same general technique for a variety of specific purposes. The eldest son of the Rayis family, Maximus Rayis, channels plasma through a ring on his finger, creating energy beams, while his aunt, Sylvania Rayis, uses the Imperfect Plasma Weapon Combination, to hurl Plasma discharges through her weapons. (Both of these characters are NPCs for anyone wanting to deal more with the Rayis family.) The Rayis Family is based in the south and serves House Marr.

The Wells Family specialty is Sound Magic, a combination of Light and Wind Magic. Sound magic is very versatile, and not all of its uses are fully known. The ability of Sound Magic is only realized through their users, as the Wells Family guards their ability jealously. The eldest son, Zadkiel Wells, uses Sound Magic to create soundwave discharges, while his sister Cassandra Wells, uses it to change one's emotional state.The Wells family is based in the North and serves House Jace.

The De Leon Family is the last of the Great Families and has one of the more unique hereditary abilities, Mental Creation Magic. Similar to Illusion Magic, Mental Creation Magic allows a user to go further into one's mind to create Illusions, creating entire worlds and altering the perception of time. Members of the De Leon family are very rare, with only one active one known currently, the teacher of Creation Magic at Battleschool, Raphael De Leon. She uses her Magic to create simulations of combat to teach students how to fight and practice magic without endangering themselves or others.
Last edited by jimss23 on Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Jim

52 Reviews

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:22 am
jimss23 says...

I am creating an NPC PowerPoint for all the NPCs so that you all can have a reference picture and short description to use them in your characters stories if you so wish. If you want to create your own NPCs that others can use let me know and I will add them.

-Jim

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:16 am
Basil says...

I'm working on my characters now ^^ should have one up soon
Dorian, are you the one adding all the spices to our food?
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:13 pm
Lael says...

Just to let you know, I will not able to participate. I wish you all the best! :)
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

You are going to love some of your characters because they are you, or some facet of you, and you are going to hate some characters for the same reason.
— Anne Lamott