z

Young Writers Society

The Witnesses DT

Which solution for our sigil problem do you think work best?

1) Option 1 seems good.
No votes
2) I think option 2 could work
No votes
3) Option 3 seems efficient enough
75%
4) Option 4 will makes things interesting
No votes
5) I think we need more ideas!!!
No votes
6) All of these, or at least most of them, should be used!
25%

Total votes : 4

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:51 am
View Likes
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

@TheSunderedSorcerer
I am trying to think of a good character and I think I have one but I need to run him by your first.

Using your works here I am looking at a Sorcerer Staffcrafter. As we don't have a lot of information on Raw Magic I am taking a stab in the dark. I have a character in mind of a sorcerer who can only cast fire. Anything he does has to be done with fire. I think that fits more with your Raw Magic concept than your spells.

If it is no good then I will toss the idea and think of something that falls more in lines with what you have.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:43 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

Omnom wrote:
Spoiler! :
join us to find out @ChildofNowhere C:<

Spoiler! :
I guess I must ;)
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:43 am
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

@XxXTheSwordsmanXxX, I like your courage for taking a Staffcrafter! I also like your idea of a primary focus in magic. However, I would advise that he uses Sigil-based magic instead of Raw magic.
Sigil Magic is usually used by Wandmakers and Staffcrafters, since it requires a strong focus in the hands of the caster. Sigils are essentially magical patterns that when "woven together" magically, make magic (like a fire pattern crossed with a directed pattern to make a fireball, or a force pattern with an aura pattern to levitation spell, etc)
I haven't drawn the sigils yet, so if you really want to, you can start helping me creating the sigils if you feel adventurous ;-)
Welcome aboard!

(P.S- Raw magic is illegal to be used as well. So...)
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

107 Reviews

Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:10 pm
View Likes

@ThSunderedSorcerer

Ah so Raw Magic is illegal! Might want to mention that in the initial post. It appears more like you haven't gotten that part finished and weren't ready for people to use it. Maybe just add a note.

I would be happy to help with the sigils! I can already imagine a sorcerer learning to use both hands to create the sigils for different spells.

I would also like to give a little more insight on my character idea, just to make sure that it still fits with the world you have created. The character I am designing does necessarily focus in fire magic, it's literally all he can do. If he were to try to cast a spell outside of fire it would end up a dud. However, due to this severe drawback and limitation on his magic, his fire magic is more powerful than it should be. This just in fire magic makes it very difficult for him to control. When his emotions start running high, he has been known to "ignite" as he puts it. Suddenly his hands or even whole body could be covered in flames. This issue plays a pivotal role with his past, which is why I am being so specific.

If this doesn't work, please let me know. I can make adjustments to the character as needed to fit the world that you have built.

62 Reviews

Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:33 pm

@XxXTheSwordsmanXxX it shall be added to avoid further confusion ;-) Tge note is appreciated.

I think I'm getting a good idea of what your character will be like. Here are my thoughts on him
- I understand that you wish to have an absolute pyromancer, but if he were to be a Staffcrafter, he should still be able to use the very basic spells. You could still say that he struggles with these though, just to still keep the concept of him only being proficient with fire-related magic
- The part about the emotions affecting his spellcasting/sigil-weaving can remain. Many mages' spells/ sigils can be influenced by their emotions, so that isn't uncommon.
- The part where his body spontaneously combusts into flames is an example of Raw Magic. When I say it is illegal, I mean that is illegal to use it constantly/ as your primary magic. Sorcerers and their ilk tend to have a closer connection to Raw Magic, since it is via their Raw magic that they discover their magical abilities (much like Harry Potter made the glass disappear before he knew he was a wizard) It is expected that all mages must learn to suppress/channel their Raw magic into spell-, sigil- or ritual magic, making it less unpredictable and dangerous.

I hope that helps. Feel free to bring up any other queries. This will be added to the Q&A section once I get back home ;-)
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

107 Reviews

Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:39 pm

@TheSunderedSorcerer

This helps a great deal! It means that I can keep the character mostly intact with a few alterations to his abilities. Now I am super excited. I'll get a CP up immediately!

Oh!! and last question I swear! I am rather.....evil to my own characters. I plan on his parents basically abandoning him. What is your take on my character being sent to the school with a letter stating that they were making him a ward of the school?

62 Reviews

Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:54 pm

@XxXTheSwordsmanXxX (I keep messing those X's up :D) I can't wait to read the CP.

No problem! Not that Sorcerers, Staffcrafters and Grifts tend to lean more towards Apprenticeships with more advanced Sorcerers (get it, the Sorcerer's Apprentice :P ) So, maybe instead of making him a ward of an Academy (since the Wizards and Witches don't like the word "school"), maybe make him his master/mentor's responsibility, almost like a "To whoever has the displeasure of having our son as an Apprentice" kind of vibe.
You can spin this however you like, but I hope that helps in creating your Character ;-)
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

107 Reviews

Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:01 pm

@TheSunderedSorcerer
That fits perfectly. I'm gonna break my character's heart. Gonna be awesome! XD

107 Reviews

Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:33 pm

@TheSunderedSorcerer

I know that you have stated that you want each writer to have a max of two characters. But what are you planning for teachers/mentors? Are they just random NPCs? Or are you wanting more defined characters?

For instance, while witches and wizards may have a multitude of teachers for different subjects, Sorcerers are to have only one mentor. This would require a more thought out and designed character for one or multiple characters to interact with.

As they aren't going to have as much importance as the student characters, maybe a couple or all of the writers should present a teacher/mentor to have in the school.

62 Reviews

Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:36 pm

Hey guys! Here is the start of the WFP for the Potionry and Poisoncraft lore. Since our characters are going to have to learn one or both of these skills, I felt that we should start with the reagents. Note- this list is only for unique reagents... More common fantasy reagents (like Newt's eyes, etc) are not to be included.
You have my permission to add your own reagents, with suitable flavor text and whatnot ;-)

http://thesunderedsorcerer.writerfeedpad.com/9

Password: hexweed
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

62 Reviews

Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:37 pm

@XxXTheSwordsmanXxX, once all the profiles for the characters are in, I will provide the CT for the Mentor/master/professor NPCs. They will be in the character list, but I shall change their ownership to NPC when editing them ;-)
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

107 Reviews

Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:40 pm

@TheSunderedSorcerer

Awesome! You seem to have everything thought of. I am still working on how to write down and display different hand motions for sigils.

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:34 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

@TheSunderedSorcerer (darn you and your long, alliterating usernames! XD ), thank you for the tag. Considering the Captain's Challenge we have this month, you bet I'm joining.

I'm still waiting for you to come online in WhatsApp so my messages will go through and I can discuss my character with you, but in the meantime, I shall address the other issues. For starters, you are one cheesy fellow. Using the unlocking spell to access the spell list? Requiring the most basic of alchemical reagents to be used to access the alchemy list? You forget, I notice these things. :P Err, the current list of reagents is still set to private, however, so we can't see that. I have a suspicion I shall be seeing Kingsbane and Cloud Blossom, among other familiar names, in it.

The wands and staves (yes, I am one of those people) are fascinating, though. Good job on creating such a detailed list. And actually, congratulations on creating such an interesting concept. I must admit, I am greatly impressed. This is easily your most well-crafted storybook yet. I can't wait to see where it goes.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

62 Reviews

Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:22 pm

The link to the reagents is made public now, so go ahead and check it out! (password is still hexweed)
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:37 pm
crossroads says...

Oh, I didn't know the staffcrafters/wandmakers still had magic they could use. It kinda reads like the sensing magic and making staves (I'm one of those people too) and wands was THE thing they could do.

Anyway, a few questions!

They need wands/staves for magic, but are they all still able to use magic without them? Like, can a wizard or a sorcerer use sigils or runes or words or whatever to make magic work without the wand/staff? Maybe the less focused/raw magic types?

Also, how does the school look at rulebreaking? Do they have a way of telling when someone's lying about something, or when someone's dabbling in some forbidden stuff? Because North would dabble in forbidden stuff. He's got this mix of self-depreciation and self-worth going on where he can't look at a rule without trying to break it because he's better than them, while hating on himself for not really believing in that <.< So if someone went to him "there's this destructive thing you may never ever do", he'd do all in his power to do it (and not get caught) :p
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

And don't forget it's hydrate or diedrate
— zaminami