z

Young Writers Society

Charcoal DT

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:30 pm
crossroads says...

She'd probably ask for his opinion on random stuff she makes, and offer to help out if she has time, also. So it's not only about being a bother :p
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:34 pm
Ljungtroll says...

True. This is going to be so cool once it starts!
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:10 am
View Likes
Megrim says...

FYI my character is up. Tried to fill a niche that hadn't really been covered yet (wealthy class). He's going to be fun.

I'll bet he'll be pretty familiar with Dr Jameson, having potentially some chronic illness or other. Maybe they're just acquaintances, but I could see more developing there!

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:40 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Ha, two sickly guys. :) Purely coincidentially, my charrie has a seemingly incurable illness. Also does Vincent have a sibling or rich friend who could be a violin student?
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

264 Reviews

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:44 am
View Likes
Megrim says...

I imagined him as an only child, but he could totally have a rich friend around his age. Maybe even a girl he was expected to woo, but wasn't thrilled about.

112 Reviews

Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:02 am
Ljungtroll says...

Just out of curiosity, will there be a religion of sorts in this SB?
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

264 Reviews

Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:43 am
Megrim says...

That's not something I've worldbuilt yet. Anyone have any thoughts?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:12 am
Rydia says...

I'd expect there to be several religions, though perhaps one which is more followed in this area but I expect travelling delegates would have religions from their land. I may even make mine follow a religion, I shall have to do some thinking!
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

112 Reviews

Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:09 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Perhaps one that strongly opposes steampowered things but is dismissed by most as a madman's cult?

she/her

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:12 pm
Lumi says...

I think one sect where you generally can't go wrong is praying to saints--it gives you time to flesh out the mono- or polytheism behind them and establishes a faith for your character in the process + rituals and comfort measures.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

112 Reviews

Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:18 pm
Ljungtroll says...

Very true. This is something to give some thought to.

she/her

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:20 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Octavia is the type to invent her own gods and then be shocked that other people don't know them.

Religions might give a whole new angle to the whole story, too. If there's different ones, how does each look at murder? How does the murderer's condemn (or if it does) a person who takes another's life? And the prevailing one in the city, does it influence the investigation? If there's such a thing as confession secrecy, there might be a priest of some sort who knows something. If religion is tied into how the city functions, there might be religious groups choosing their own suspect and taking it too far (this can happen without religion too, though). If one of the religions or the main one is connected to the volcano, for example, certain things might be extremely influenced by nature alone if someone takes it as a sign from god[s].

Religion is very interesting to worldbuild, but it also might take things too far if we get really focused on it.

...and now I sort of want to make an SB that has some sort of alternate universe crusades going on.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:27 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

@Childofnowhere --> Aleja would deffo allow the church fanatics to get involved and use the most radical of them as bait. Maybe one that meets the killer's MO. Mmm delicious. Otherwise, you can expect a bunch of churchgoers in a jail cell, which then we would likely have the killer vigilante-break them out because Plot Justice and Bad Times For The Cops.

...I think I just gave Aleja a smoking habit.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:43 pm
SirenCymbaline says...

Can I have a character, or do you have enough already?
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

264 Reviews

Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:21 am
Megrim says...

On the religion front, I'm pretty open to whatever you guys want to do. Makes sense for there to be one that's more on the coast (delegates) and one that's more on the volcano, and maybe some other little ones. I think Vince would be the type to attend worship services out of a sense of obligation, but feel fairly ambivalent about it.

@SirenCymbaline - Sure. We're getting up there in numbers, but that might actually make it easier if people have to drop in and out based on real life activity. The only ones who really need to be consistently active would be the murderer and the detective, I think. I'll give some more time for people to join, and we'll get going after the weekend.

"And the rest is rust and stardust."
— Vladimir Nabokov