z

Young Writers Society

The Queen is Dead, Long Live the Queen DT

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:36 pm
Auxiira says...

I had one foot in this SB as soon as you posted it and everyone knows that. >.< It's just that from January, school is going to become hectic *sigh* Thus intermittent character who randomly pops up from time to time. I still don't know. But @Elinor%20Brynn, @Holofernes, are either of you intereses in a character that spies for yours? Or any other power players, really. Or anyone? If not I'll just stalk this SB.
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:45 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

My character can use a spy.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:13 pm
crossroads says...

I think I'll go with either the late queen's or the (late?) king's badass bastard from Somewhere Far Away with intentions of some kind and somewhat drastic religious views.

So specific, I know.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:23 pm
StellaThomas says...

@AriaAdams - I think Lavinia's father is very dead (don't want to get into divorce on top of all this religious stuff), but Henry's... might still be alive? Or also dead. Who knows.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

863 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:21 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Grif's Character Notes:

My character is posted; but he is simply a pawn in a game that the Matron is playing. The Matron is the leader of the North Peak Gryphon Clan. For a long time the clan was led by stupid males who spent the majority of their time showing off their flying skills instead of getting anything done. The Matron and the other females swept them aside.

Under the Matron, certain things changed. Non-gryphons were allowed into their territory; including humans and other mis-fits and refugees. As the world below became more chaotic; the refugees increased in number.

The Matron saw their cries and saw the strain that it was placing on their territory. So, she decided that it was time for the Gryphons to re-enter the human world that they long ago withdrew from. However, there was a problem; humans relied on marriage to seal diplomatic ties; but there were no humans in the Gryphon Clan.

So, when Aaron showed up as an orphaned boy, the Matron adopted him; with the idea of turning him into a bargaining chip; the human face of the clan that could be married off to secure an alliance.

With an alliance; they could find a way to take care of the refugees and even better, thrive in ways that the clan had never thrived before. But the risks were huge; because the entrance of the Gryphons would disrupt the political equation that the humans had.

Aaron has been trained to improvise and be creative; with the idea that he would need these skills to survive in the chaos and turmoil that his mere presence would cause in the political circles.

Prior to this mission, Aaron was named a "Prince." This title is meaningless to the gryphons and carries no power; but it sounds impressive. However, Aaron had to earn the trust of the gryphons; and this he did, earning the title of Trustant. He is a human that gryphons can trust; blindly; without regret. This makes him an Ambassador among Gryphons, no mean feat considering that he is human.

This is the Matron's Gambit; if she wins, her human doubles the size of their nation. Her clan can finally leave it's primitive ways and join the modern world. If she loses, she loses one human (albeit a good one) and her vision for a modern gryphon will be set back decades.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:23 am
crossroads says...

Oh wait. There's such thing as non-humans and/or magic in this too?
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:17 pm
StellaThomas says...

Sure, why not? I kept meaning to breach the idea of magic but I thought I'd let someone else get there first. Maybe magic is tied to the religions? Or maybe it's separate and opposite? Either way I think only certain people are able to use it.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

863 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:30 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

I think that magic users should be persecuted in this story. Witchcraft is a quick way to a painful death.

Another thought: I think that the races should largely be racist. The Matron is a progressive, but the gryphon males are very condescending towards any species that can't fly.

This would account for the refugees and the high concentration of humans that don't use magic.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:16 pm
Caesar says...

I think the different religions should have different creatures they worship, like efreets for Hata and whatnot.
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:27 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

@Auxiira that sounds good! Lavinia will probably weary that there are others that will try to take the crown from her

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:14 pm
StellaThomas says...

@Elinor%20Brynn - Verity is Lavinia's spymaster whether she likes it or not. BUT I'm having this think whereby Lavinia for some reason (maybe something happens to trigger this?) begins to distrust Verity or maybe she thinks Verity is filtering the truth? Keeping things from her etc. and so she enlists a professional of her own, either to investigate Verity's own actions or those of somebody else?

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:16 pm
Elinor says...

Ooh I do like that!

-- Walt Disney

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:41 pm
Auxiira says...

Ohhhhhhhh :3
Also, I'm kinda free now ^^ I'm visiting family non stop during the hols, but that requires travel, and travel = posts :P
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:41 pm
Elinor says...

Finished my profile. I was thinking it might be fun to have Lavinia be full on sociopathic and villainous. If this conflicts with your vision, Stella, I totally understand. Right now she's very no-nonsense and isn't going to let anyone get in her way of becoming Queen. xD

-- Walt Disney

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:41 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

@Elinor%20Brynn - not at all! The only thing I have to ask is about her relationship with Verity - are they friends? Does she tolerate Verity? Keep her close for her usefulness? Or can she just not stand her?

I actually really like the juxtaposition between her and Henry :) it'll be fun to have him crack a joke and her just be like "..." Also easier to drive a wedge between them!

Don't be sad bc sad backwards is das and das not good
— LadyMysterio