z

Young Writers Society

Timeline DT

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:54 am
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

@Wolfie36, I haven't finished the second historian yet, so please don't accept or read the profile yet.
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:02 pm
Dutiful says...

Yay thanks!

*Runs off to research about ancient China*

I'll get my profile done soon!
“And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.”
― Sylvia Plath

62 Reviews

Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:27 pm
View Likes

@Dutiful, focus your research on the Three Kingdoms period in Ancient China (aka the Late Han Dynasty), and look more specifically at the years 203AD to about 208AD. The party will also most likely either appear in the Wei or the Shu empires, as the Wu is much more isolated from the other two.
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

83 Reviews

Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:55 pm
Dutiful says...

@TheWanderingWizard will do! Thanks :D

Also, question: how will my character come into the story? Like how does my character get involved at all? Does that sound dumb? XD

Thanks!
“And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.”
― Sylvia Plath

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:08 pm
Ventomology says...

@Dutiful, your character will probably be hired by someone else to kidnap or kill the kid who comes into the time period. Whether that someone is my character (Princess Qinghe of the Wei kingdom, which is supposed to be the bad guys, from what I heard from the Wiz, but honestly she's more interested in avoiding marriage) or someone else who wants to either use the kid's technological knowledge/"magic", or someone who wants to get rid of the kid because they pose a threat, is up to you.

(Princess Qinghe, if she figures out where the kid is from though, will probably want them to take her to the future, though at first she would be more interested in using them for her kingdom.)
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

62 Reviews

Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:46 pm

Well, the Wei's weren't necessarily the "bad" guys, but the put power before everything else (and you know what they say about absolute power...) You can actually show the better or good side of them, and make the Shu's and Wu's seem bad...

Anyway, @Dutiful, if your character was hired by a person seeking understand his "magic", or even use him to "predict" the future (very chaotic this suggestion), then these are some people you can research: Zhuge Liang (Shu), Pang Tong (most likely Shu), Sima Yi (Wei), Zuo Ci (unsure), etc. There are dozens more, but still...

Of course this will only be"revealed" later in the SB, but keep it in mind while creating your character.
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:58 am
BrumalHunter says...

I apologise for my absence - it should last only a few days longer. Nevertheless, I have just finished reading through all the new DT posts, so I am up to speed.

I don't know anything about Ancient China, but I look forward to reading about it. However, I have thought about the Medieval Period, and I think the Hundred Years War would work perfectly. Not only will it be interesting to have my character be caught in the crossfire between the English and the French, but then I can also have him attempt to meet his (and my) personal idol, Joan of Arc. And who doesn't love messing up history? :twisted:

I just have a couple of questions: What version of French did the people speak back then, and would they be able to understand modern French?
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

62 Reviews

Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:09 am

French has basically been the same ever since it evolved from Latin, so that isn't such a huge problem. They might not understand our accents that well, and more modern words and phrases should naturally not be named (like any mechanical or electronic words, or the names of a lot of countries and places.) Some, like Germany, were actually different countries entirely back then, so all of that should be remembered. Otherwise, well... Chaos.
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

767 Reviews

Reviews: 767
Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:23 pm
SpiritedWolfe says...

If we were to be in the Hundred Years' War (which I'm pretty sure is a given by now), then where would we be? Right on the battle field? Or back at a starving/demolished village?
[insert really cool and fun quote here]
Check out my novel shenanigans.
Or request a review from me.

[she/her]

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:27 pm
View Likes
Wolfi says...

@Wolfare1, probably the time-travelers will try to teleport themselves to an open field or the edge of a forest. It's hard to pinpoint a safe place, however. We can have an instant debacle right as they enter the new world, while the historians are probably day-dreamedly gazing around.

In terms of language, the French could be understood through high tech earpieces. But there were also several people, particularly those of high class, who understood English. Having Wizard's character will help a lot, of course.

Welcome back, @AstralHunter!
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

83 Reviews

Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:41 pm
Dutiful says...

Wow, thanks for all the suggestion guys, I have a lot of researching to do now xD can I have a few days till I submit my character profile?

Thanks!
― Sylvia Plath

62 Reviews

Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:27 pm

Ooo, I see we're going with the Hundred Years War! Yay! Naturally, seeing as most of the battles took place in France, and monsieur Hunter wants to meet Joan d'Arc, we'll most likely have to travel to either the province Champagne (which is where she was born), Normandy, or Ile le France (which is where Paris, Orleans, etc were situated, and Joan became know as the Angel of Orleans)
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

284 Reviews

Reviews: 284
Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:49 pm
View Likes
RubyRed says...

I have added a picture to my character!! :D :P
You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote

Review link below!
Ruby's Reviews

Knight of the Green Room

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1417
Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:41 pm
View Likes
Noelle says...

Submitted my character finally! 8 days later than I promised, but who's counting? Let me know if you need me to change anything.
Noelle is the name, reviewing and writing cliffhangers is the game.

Writer of fantasy, action/adventure, and magic. Huzzah!

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done." -- Steven Wright

YWS is life

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:16 am
View Likes
Wolfi says...

@Dutiful, yes, research takes time.

@Wonderwoman, that's an awesome picture!

@Noelle, lovely character!!
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

Okay, first of all, who names their dinner? I don't want to know my dinner's name. This potato--is this potato named Steve?
— Rick Riordan, The Sword of Summer