z

Young Writers Society

Feudal [DT]

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:46 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

Or maybe another character can speak both languages, somehow, and will end teaching him. Perhaps the Wakō, since she'll have sailed all over the world and back, probably having to deal with some Americans.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:12 pm
View Likes
Persistence says...

Knock-knock, it's the United States. With huge boats (with guns. Gunboats). "Open the country. Stop having it be closed," said the United States.
Deep thoughts remind me of unfinished

176 Reviews

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:59 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

@Sheyren @Wolfical

If ya'll would like, maybe Ueda could serve as a translator? He probably wouldn't speak english fluently, but I could figure out a way for him to know some?

Hmm trying to think of a good reason/backstory tho for how and why he'd learn english
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

176 Reviews

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:06 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

I mean, it's up to you guys! The Wakō would make more sense since she'd have more reason to know more languages probably but yeah! Just throwing it out there!!!

And everyone's characters seem so cool tbh
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:40 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

@XxXTheSwordsmanXxX you up for this?
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

107 Reviews

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:46 pm
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

I might go for the Ronin or Soldier

176 Reviews

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:50 pm
sheysse says...

@Wolfical has laid claim to Soldier... My fault for not updating the first post. Ronin is fair game, however!

107 Reviews

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:52 pm
View Likes
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

Then i will take Ronin. I will have a ct after sunday.

176 Reviews

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:12 am
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

Question: How accurate are we planning on being in terms of Japanese honorifics and name etiquette? Or will they all just call each other by first names straight up?

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:15 am
Lael says...

^
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

176 Reviews

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:43 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

We'll be getting as technical with them as possible, and so here is a helpful key for you to use.

-sama = used to refer to gods (Kami-sama) or royalty, but can also be used as flattery, generally sarcastic flattery

O- = repective term for relatives. Ka-san (mom) become Oka-san, for example

-chan = term used to address younger girls, a "cutesy" term. Can also be used to address women who you're close friends with, or when addressing family members

-kun = Essentially the same as -chan, but for males

-sensei = Term used to refer to a teacher

-san = Respective term for anyone who the previous terms don't apply, and roughly translates to Mr. And Mrs.

-bo = cutesy term for extremely young boys, which can never pass for adults, unlike -kun

Also note that in Japan, until you're on a close friend level with someone, you refer to them by their last name and a suffix. Eventually they may be close enough with you that they'll request their first name, but rarely do you use it before a reauest.

If I've made an error somewhere, and someone knows more of the culture than me, please correct me. I don't want to mess up in the story. XD

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:30 pm
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

Awesome. That's cool with me ^^ And I probably know as much as you do about the names, so I could be mistaken as well.

In that case, my character would be addressed as 'Saeki-san' by the other characters for most of the storybook. Only when others have grown close enough to her will they be able to call her 'Chikako-san', 'Chika-san', or even 'Chikako'.

However, referring to her as 'Chika-chan' could be used by others in a teasing or condescending way to get her triggered, especially if they are not yet on a 'good friend' basis (it's basically saying that she's cute and harmless) XD Otherwise, it would be used by someone who is genuinely fond of her (as Shey described above).

------

From my understanding, the levels of politeness are as follows...
[surname]-polite honorific (-sama only for royalty or to brown nose)
[surname]-less polite honorific (-san in normal cases this is the most commonly used)
[first name]-honorific (-san)
[first name]-less polite honorific (-kun or -chan).
[first name] with no honorific (for partners or people you are very good friends with)

Foreigners are often excused from such rules, and are usually called [first name]-san from the first meeting. The '-san' can later be dropped if the foreigner insists.

Inspiration usually comes during work, rather than before it.
— Madeleine L'Engle, Author