Young Writers Society

Dead Poets Society DT

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:46 pm
View Likes
Audy says...

Woot! We have a good group with us! I want to keep this big ol' train moving so...

Apologies in advance - let me know if the tags are unnecessary for those already subscribed to the DT! For those who haven't yet subscribed to the DT & SBmain, I think it will be super helpful for you, so please do!

@TheSilverFox, @yakitsa, @Lightsong, @falconer, @Apricity, @moonwatcher, @sacredlege, @remembrance, @sheyren, @Mea, @drthomas, @kaos, @Tuesday, @fortis, @everwinter, @Lumi

I want to set a goal to get the first post up sometime by the end of the day this coming Monday - October 31st and prolly going into November 1st for a lot of you! - how does that sound for people? Can we aim for getting all of our character templates done by then?

If the pacing seems fast, let me know! Also, I know a lot of you only JUST joined, so let me know if you need more time.

Let's Talk!

DT helps us with discussing general things so, it's doing great, but if some of you want to bounce ideas off of each other, or have conversations/plan with a small group, then some kind of group chat may work better. Googledocs, WFP, skype, whatsapp let me know if you would be interested in any of these clients, and I will get a group together and PM details so that your information can still remain private c: Let me know your thoughts on this!

We may also need to come up with the following planning documents:
- Character Cheat sheet
- Map of the campus
- Class schedules

I haven't yet started on these, so if you want to help, just so happen to come across cool images or cool maps or soundtracks you want to share or have ideas on how any of those things should go, or other planning docs we may need, let's all collaborate these things together! This sb is now OURS.

Circles and cliques

Throughout the course of the week, I'll prolly reach out to each of you and figure out about devvying up a group so big like ours into smaller circles, just like how in highschool you have your own unique circle of friends! That way we can start discussing how our personalities are going to work together. Potential rivalries and potential conflicts. This will get jucier as we start posting in the SB, but we might as well start thinking about it ^^

For example, @mage, my character Walt would definitely be BFFs with Ralph and I would look up to him for advice all the time, so, hullo! We probably don't get along great with Wilde @drthomas. I can see an embarrasing football incident break any kind of civility we may have towards each other :P

Stuff like this, I'll start bugging each of you and see if we can get some gears turning!

And then Deaths

Don't get SO attached though. There's still a murderer on the loose. Are we all okay with random, permanent and indiscriminate deaths? C: Come homecoming time, it could be me or you gone forever, are we okay with this?

383 Reviews

Reviews: 383
Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:35 pm
View Likes
Sujana says...

...Can I just say that roster is ridiculous ? The size is daunting enough, but the amount of good writers here makes me want to quietly sneak out through a window.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief."

Ecclesiastes 1: 18

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:44 pm
yakitsa says...

Sacredlege wrote:...Can I just say that roster is ridiculous ? The size is daunting enough, but the amount of good writers here makes me want to quietly sneak out through a window.

me too me too me too
the standards are higher than my iq
Life imitates art.

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:52 pm
View Likes
Lightsong says...

Er, I hate to break this to you, but I have to you. Since my uncle has gone back to Jakarta, I am back to being laptop- and phoneless. Therefore, I ask for my character to be introduced late. Also, William Blake kinda scares me when I read him from Wikipedia...
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:08 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I'm a big fan of gDocs for SB planning - or WFP if people prefer. Can we do a big old-fashioned spreadsheet of character relationships and interactions those are my fave and a really good way of getting subplots going imho.

Also I'm okay with Oscar dying, as long as it's in style, to make up for his death as a destitute ruined poet in exile.

(And we get to keep his famous last words - "either that wallpaper goes or I do.")
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

696 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:36 pm
Audy says...

@sacredlege -
Spoiler! :

We have to start big and get small. When we have a murder of the week plot, if we start small, you know at once who the murderer is. The fun of murder mysteries is trying to figure them out. I've done real life murder mysteries, and it started with 20-25 people.

On a storybook perspective, we can still have a small intimate feel that's why I will be breaking you guys into smaller groups/cliques. But think about your school: you may have a class of 30 people, and you may have 1 to 4 close friends, one person you strongly dislike and the rest are just kind of there, you see their faces, but may not be as close. It will have a real feel like that here. I will be posting summaries too in case the reading gets to be a lot, but mostly outside of the getting into groups and introducing ourselves, we're whittling down the cast and solving mysteries c:

As far as good writers go, I've read some of YOUR writings, I think you'll fit right in ^^ also, wanna bounce ideas and need more time? I am as flexible as they come. I want you to have fun! Is this scary, intimidating, ohmygawdcrazy? Oh I hope so! All worthwhile things are, and then we take a leap together c: What it shouldn't be is stressful, if you feel it, talk to me <3 <3 <3 I promise I don't bite c:

@yakitsa
Spoiler! :

Is the pacing way too fast? I can slow down, or do you need help with Sylvia Plath? She is so so excellent. Her & Keats & Emma Lazarus will be tight as thieves. She may also get along with Kerouac. But lemme know, How can I help?

@Lightsong
Spoiler! :

I say, get a gist of William Blake and then make him your own. Whenevrr I look at his paintings, I just see a mind who is SO GENIUS when it comes to supernatural things: demons and gothic and magic etc and so based on that alone I think him and Edgar Allen Poe, those two will get along, similar aesthetics. But what you do is you take a gist and find what about him you know. Maybe you are really into supernatural things yourself and you know a friend who is, abd that friend is super into magic tricks and super into watching late night horror movies and is also polite, and you take just an interest of William Blake and you take what you know, your friend, and that becomes what you write about, your friend as William blake. Don't worry about getting him exact. It's not about that! And I'm not gonna be like LIGHT william blake is NOT a dancer. If you wanna make him a dancer, do it! OWN him. I got you! As for your laptop scenario, no problems at all Light C: take your time, I'm here to support & provide you with whatever you need when you are ready to start.

For everybody, if you need help with characters. Think of them as characters first, inspired by dead poets. You don't have to know every single biographical thing about your poet or the poets on here either. I'm a big nerd with this stuff and even I don't know everything. Just get a gist or a snippet of the poet and take it from there.

I find, If you can figure out what their label is, for example: would they be goths? Jocks? Theatre nerds? EXEMPLARY HEADSTUDENT? Once you know that, you can use the trope to further flesh them out as characters first c: i also found reading my poet's poem was a lot more accessible to me into their mind than reading their bio.

For the people who finished their character bios, how'd you guys approach it? Maybe your methods can help others come up with theirs! Though some characters can be trickier than others too, so don't be discouraged! ^^

383 Reviews

Reviews: 383
Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:55 pm
View Likes
Sujana says...

@Lightsong

Spoiler! :
in all actuality Blake was my second choice, so if you're more familiar with Poe I'd be glad to trade places. I mean, religious overtones? Romantic views? A dislike of the church but a devotion to spirituality? Also allegedly somewhat cuckoo? Come on.

But I'll be glad to work with you, regardless. While her style is a bit different, Emily Dickinson's melancholic tone would sit well with us, I think. Wouldn't you agree, @Audy?

Spoiler! :
Also, sorry if somebody already mentioned this, but Audy, Dr. Thomas,

"Oscar Wilde met Whitman in America in 1882 and told the homosexual-rights activist George Cecil Ives that Whitman's sexual orientation was beyond question —"I have the kiss of Walt Whitman still on my lips.""

--Walt Whitman's Wikipedia Page

*runs away*
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief."

Ecclesiastes 1: 18

696 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:58 pm
View Likes
Audy says...

Lol! Omg Sacred I did NOT know that about Whitman & Wilde, that is gold 8D (I did know Whitman was not all that straight but this is great, Stells what do you think?)

But totally can see Emily fit in nicely with that crew, what do you say @fortis?

EDIT: also Stella, I like the idea of the spreadsheet so so so much :o

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:08 pm
View Likes
Lightsong says...

Lel, Poe was into my consideration too when, I saw his name, but I knew less of his personality than Blake. I'll do my research on him when I can and I'll tell you what I think after that.

@everyone: Anyone knows a male poet that talks about huntress, deer, and love in generality? I'm fond of the poem and would like to know more about it and its creator, but my memory is too hazy...
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:48 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I just read excerpts from Nature and Self-Reliance, and I don't think I've ever been this excited about a storybook/wanted to die from pure joy when thinking about how creative I can be when it comes to dead people. :P

@Audy, I'm prepared for many collaborative PMs in the future! ^_^ Plus (I can't remember their names off the top of my head), I'm also ready to become friends with anyone in the Transcendental Club. Which Ralph will be starting early on in the storybook. ^_^ I'm thinking of making him a first year. Is there any policy on club-creation at the school they attend?

Also, I think the most difficult fact is that I'll have to get used to calling characters by their first names rather than last names. Like my character is Ralph, not Emerson.

Still getting used to that. :P
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:25 pm
View Likes
Amnesia says...

All the characters I know well were taken so I apologise in advance since I'll be using wikipedia for a while so I get the personality right
I want a Harry Potter reboot with Benedict Cumberbatch as all the characters~~Mem
<3 Formerly Remembrance <3

This page supports the LGBTQ community

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:31 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Someone do Hemiiiiiiingwaaaaaaaay >.>

Also @Audy, @Sacredlege - THIS FACT BRINGS ME SUCH JOY.

I'm so excited to be playing Oscar Wilde.

Also I recently discover Edgar Allan Poe's Murder Mystery Dinner Party. It's almost a similar idea to this actually xD I've only seen the first couple of episodes but it has famous poets and writers at dinner (including Poe, Wilde, Dickinson and others like Dostoyevsky and Louisa May Alcott and Charlotte Brontë) and there's a murder. It's good fun.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:33 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I don't know much about Emerson Ralph either (only the basics) @Remembrance, so Wikipedia and I are also going to become besties. :P I plan on researching him, though! Maybe there's a good documentary or biography I can read. >.> Then again, I can learn a lot about him just by reading his works! ^_^
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:37 pm
View Likes
Astronomer says...

I remember researching Dr. Seuss for a project in...fourth grade, I believe. So I know a few stuffs about him. I was shocked by some facts that I found out about him. He'd definitely be a class clown, and best friends with Shakespeare (If you haven't seen their rap battle, you totally should). As for his death, I think I'd be able to handle that. maybe

I'd be up for some planning on Google Docs or WFP in the future. Also, I shall do some basic research on all your characters as soon as possible.

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176

Everything’s edible if you’re immortal.
— Feltrix