Young Writers Society

Wild Magic DT

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:50 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Maybe just the night they finished school rather than an actual graduation - and hey, it's Germany, maybe they were drinking schnapps ;) honestly it's not a huge deal at all!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

383 Reviews

Reviews: 383
Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:58 pm
Sujana says...

By the way @StellaThomas , what's going on with the worldbuilding here? Because like, I used Schwarztal as a kingdom, and since the first part of the name means Black I just sort of assumed it's either a) Dark and Evil Country Watch Out or b) Coal Country or c) Country of Hotter Regions. I sort of assumed it would be a country with more diverse skin colors, which is why I had my character have a brownish tinge, but I really don't know so.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief."

Ecclesiastes 1: 18

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:20 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

@Sacredledge - yeah it's the Black Valley! I hadn't really thought much beyond the names of the countries but we can DEFINITELY MAKE IT the evil neighbours ja? Ja.

(They could be evil AND coal mining. Maybe they want to clear the forest to open more mines underneath it. Though are we protecting the forest? Maybe we want to clear it so it'll *stop messing with people's lives*).

With regards to nationalities, honestly what I'm aiming for is kind of all the small little Germanic kingdoms before Germany was unified in 1870 *but* I want to have a diverse cast, so characters can be whatever ethnicity you like, we'll just suspend disbelief over it - you have yours as orphans raised in Schwarztal which seems an absolutely perfect explanation :)

Besides, I mean, we have a silver character now, so let's not get too bogged down by skin colour and trying to explain it away ;)
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

383 Reviews

Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:35 pm
Sujana says...

Suspend disbelief? Rad.

624 Reviews

Reviews: 624
Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:42 pm
Casanova says...

@StellaThomas Sorry for the wait, I should have my CT up by today!
Chat's bangin' yo

383 Reviews

Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:51 pm
Sujana says...

@Casanova you don't have to but make it crazier than literal silver girl and two guys in one body

624 Reviews

Reviews: 624
Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:54 pm
View Likes
Casanova says...

@Sacredlege Oh, I'm planning on it. My question is why does everyone want to see the prince very.. troubled, I guess I could say XD
Chat's bangin' yo

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:16 pm
StellaThomas says...

@Casanova - because at least some of us will be expecting him to be a noble leader and he just... shouldn't be.

I'm still kind of waiting to make my character until I see what everyone else comes up with :)

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:17 pm
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

Greetings. I am thinking of taking a villager blacksmith if that is alright.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:19 pm
StellaThomas says...

@XxXTheSwordsmanXxX - wonderful! :)

107 Reviews

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:45 pm

@StellaThomas
I hope you like Gobban.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:03 pm
StellaThomas says...

Looks good!

How would people feel about going with the lore that says cold iron wards off evil magic? Might be useful to have Gobban around ;) (or might not be. It might be completely useless, but we won't know until we bring a smith into the woods).

107 Reviews

Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:11 pm

I'm okay with that. But maybe it shouldn't be common knowledge. Sort of Gobban seems to be warded somehow and later on found out that it's the iron of his hammer.

383 Reviews

Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:26 pm
Sujana says...

I know Song of Ice and Fire was probably inspired by a German myth, but yeah, that reminds me of Song of Ice and Fire. And as much as I hate George RR Martin, I'm cool with that.

107 Reviews

Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:42 pm

Actually the idea of cold iron protecting from evil spirits ranges all over middle age Europe and some before it. Iron is said to be a heavenly metal. (Coming from meteorites) and their for possesses divine properties. The first mention of cold iron to protect a person is actually in Mesopotamia.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
— Groucho Marx