z

Young Writers Society

PMD: Seventeen Plates DT 3

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:49 pm
Robusto says...

Hooray Charizard! I can't wait to see what you cook up.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:53 pm
View Likes
Poopsie says...

The first time this has been used out of chat.

AYYYYYY LMAOO
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:04 pm
BrumalHunter says...

I have glue, should you need it.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:37 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Charizard821 You may want to check the PM I sent you then, whenver you feel like startin' your post.

Oh! which reminds me. Update time!

Tomorrow will mark the second day into my exam week. I'm writing one line at a time, but frankly, I can't quite focus on Twinkiel as long as THESE things are on the way. I'm still at 2/4 of the post done though. @Robusto and I'll have to give you a description of the Last Exile when I'm done. Haven't forgotten that.
Aaaaaaaaaaaand I really can't wait to write that encounter with Zulu, as I said it would be part of it.

*giggle* let's just say that I've cooked up something, uh... Something very "me" :3
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:37 am
StupidSoup says...

Oh. This exists. Uh lemme go cook up something nice and bland before the storm. Ren doesn't need any character changes anyway.
I have a license that lets me solve aids - A friend of mine

Here Comes the Birdyyyy ~Poopsie

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

293 Reviews

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:06 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Hah, you are too late, @15253 - the storm is already upon us! Then again, I suppose could write a filler post anyway, if you like. Oh, but I request that you and @TheSilverFox not skip ahead to 11:00 AM. I haven't depicted the evaluation yet.

So yeah, there you go. @Buggiedude2340, read the title again after you have read the post. ;)

EDIT: 15253, forget the filler for now - go write your two posts for Asphyxius and Nachturn.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

54 Reviews

Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:37 pm
View Likes
StupidSoup says...

Ehehehe he he he heeeeeeeeee

Well I suppose I should but first I have a web of lies to spin

Ehehehe he he he he he he he heeeeeeeeee heheeee

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

24 Reviews

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:33 pm
Robusto says...

A splendid post, @Astralhunter. Dang flabbit, why must my hands be tied as they are now!? The Guardian posts are done with, Tempest is MIA until further notice, Alek and Sully don't have anything to do without accidentally interfering in the Zulu affair, Bloodmoon's stuck, and Zulu's an angsty teenage movie star that might kill anyone that tries to get too close to him right now. I have no one to write for at the moment! It's maddening!

293 Reviews

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:51 pm
BrumalHunter says...

Well, you can do as you please, @15253, but the deadline is tomorrow, and late submission accrues you a penalty of 50 points. Then again, if you can write such a long post for Glory Online that quickly, you'll be fine.

Thank you, @Robusto. Oh, but you actually do have an NPC for whom to write - one about whom I have inadequate intelligence for a successful Psyche Battle. Oh, and you could even write a post for his infatuation, though I'd prefer him. (She has had more television time than he has.)
— Paul the Apostle

24 Reviews

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:06 pm
Robusto says...

Oh ho... of course.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:29 am
Poopsie says...

I can't help but think that the stereo typical way Cassandra speaks is slightly racist. I've been reading a ton about slavery and racism at school and the way you made Cassandra talk is... Disturbing to me. This is just my opinion though, I don't mean to instigate
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:38 pm
TheSilverFox says...

Well, it looks like, unless I manage to write 2 SB posts for 2 different SBs in the next 10 days, which doesn't seem all that likely because I'm rather busy with schoolwork, I will once again have to settle for not completing the Captain's Challenge and maintain my present record of absolutely 0 SB credits. *sighs*

16/16
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

293 Reviews

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:42 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Dictionary.com wrote:Racism: a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others

I understand your concern, @Poopsie, but using a certain accent for a character doesn't amount to racism. I could easily have said Gabriel recognised Cassandra's accent as Jamaican, but if you are truly honest with yourself, you wouldn't have known precisely what she sounded like. Sure, we've all heard Jamaicans speak at one point or another, but I don't think anyone besides myself has ever paid detailed attention to how they speak exactly. I dare not say all Jamaicans necessarily speak that way, since saying that would be stereotypical, but I did not fabricate all those speech patterns; I deduced most of them after analysing recordings of several Jamaicans speaking/singing, with the exception of the omitted g, and in most cases the th-sound being replaced by d or t.

Now, there's a certain dialect of Afrikaans that the coloured citizens of the Cape Flats (a district in Cape Town, my resident city) speak, which is known as "Kaaps Afrikaans". Here in South Africa (where, quite frankly, racism is far more prominent than in America), this dialect is used in creative works, though not for insulting its speakers, but for writing poetry. Having studied several poems written in this style in school, I can tell you that they can be equally as moving as poetry written in any other language.

Now, back to the matter at hand. Cassandra's accent evidently creates the impression that she would be a black Jamaican if she were a human, so let's go with that. She is the leader of the Resistance's forces in northern Terraria, which immediately removes any notion of inferiority. Furthermore, nobody commented on her accent even once. If she is thus considered a well-respected superior, how is that racist? Besides, if a "black" individual can speak with an English accent, why can't a "white" individual speak with a Jamaican accent? (Oh, and slavery is completely irrelevant in this context.)

If racism would at all be applicable in an SB like this, it would be fantastic racism, such as "all Exeggutors are stupid" or "all Lopunnies are lascivious". And if we were to write that, then the characters would complain in-universe (or one of us, if the concerned Pokémon is a favourite). And don't confuse stereotyping with racism, since the latter is a subdivision of the former.

All in all, you may have meant well, but there is no reason for anyone to be affected by Cassandra's accent. It's just an accent - nothing more.
— Paul the Apostle

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:48 am
TheSilverFox says...

And then I go and write 2,500 words in 2 hours. Of course. <.<

Well, at any rate, expect a post by Saturday, everybody. Don't worry, @AstralHunter, I'm not going to be writing about the evaluation; it's more or less an intermission/semi-filler post, describing some of Aegeas's thoughts and opinions of what he has seen and heard as well my hinting upon some of the finer points of my character webs, mostly because I feel it'd be interesting to talk about and I also enjoy tantalizing everybody else here for my amusement. :P

But, for now, I've run out of time to write, which is disappointing, and I must now get ready to sleep. Have a great rest of your day, everybody!
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

54 Reviews

Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:33 am
StupidSoup says...

._. my arguments on SDnD don't make sense any more. Their just ideals swirling around in a big vat of "Why Cant We Be Friends"

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.
— Emily Dickinson