z

Young Writers Society

Work In Progress?

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:25 pm
Drawers says...

Hallo. I'm supposed to write a narrative for class, and this is what came out when I sat down to start. I'm wondering if it has potential, or if anyone has any advice on how to improve it so far. Normally I wouldn't post such a short piece, but I have no idea where to go with this, so I could use some outside eyes to help unblock my writer's block.

It's based on a recurring dream I've had a couple times since I was young. This group of people is locked up in a kind of huge barn (with big Cathedral windows as is mentioned in the story). There's no reason for their captivity, but eventually one of the men escapes.

xo

~

It was the thing he’d always loved about her.

They flapped and flipped and flopped, all bird bones and silky skin and huge, Italian gestures.

He thought of elves in a workshop when he looked at those hands, of colors and textures and wood being molded and squished into playthings. He thought of sinewy tree branches crackling under tugs of tightening tarps.

She was snapping her fingers now, reddened nails sunk in against white skin as she squeezed her fingers to her palm. She waved her hands in my face and I could see the blood where she’d bitten down on her fingernails. They didn’t give us nail clippers.

I took hold of her wrist and pushed her hands back to her sides, half expecting her elbows to creak. She grinned and stepped closer.

“What do you want for lunch?”

I looked up at the windows, Cathedral windows, stretching high into the sky and giving us the best view possible of what we were missing. Dust motes hung in the sunshine leaking in through crossbeams and cobwebs.

“Dust,” I told her.

She laughed and took a step back, writing something on her hand.

“They’re going to McDonalds,” she said, not looking at me. “Hugh could throw down some fries or something. Plus we have icing from yesterday, remember? That makes me think of milkshakes… Have you ever tried dipping your French fries in a milkshake?”

~
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:40 am
Demeter says...

Hi there, Drawers!

I think it's really interesting you have recurring dreams. Dreams are actually wonderful sources for stories and ideas (hey, ask Stephenie Meyer >.>) so I'm glad you wrote yours down like this.

I don't think I've ever read anything by you. Let me just say that I love your style. You use wondrous words such as "sinewy" and delicious alliterations like "flipped and flapped and flopped" and "tugs of tightening tarps" which just make me heart so happy <3 I don't know if it's your normal style, but it really fits the dream scene, too.

She was snapping her fingers now, reddened nails sunk in against white skin as she squeezed her fingers to her palm. She waved her hands in my face and I could see the blood where she’d bitten down on her fingernails. They didn’t give us nail clippers.

I took hold of her wrist and pushed her hands back to her sides, half expecting her elbows to creak. She grinned and stepped closer.

Here I think you repeat "fingers" too often too soon, so it disturbs me a little as a reader. All in all, these two paragraphs have too many "hand"/other body parts words in them so all my attention goes to them rather than the actual happenings.

I really like the dialogue part, too. I'm not sure if all the things I like are here just as they were in the dream or if you came up with them. If they were in the dream, I can only hope you'll dream more because I'd imagine it would be hard to achieve the same quirky dreamy atmosphere without actually dreaming it. I want to see you try, though!

Good luck and good job!

Demeter
x
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.
— Corrie Ten Boom