Young Writers Society

Kissing Alfredo

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:48 am
Audy says...

Spoiler! :
Nothing special. I wanted to abandon my novel and play with these two nondescript characters. Might be using them for a much longer work? Hope you enjoy!

The New Years celebration ended with the unlikely couple sitting on the floor, their backs against the wall, exchanging the convenience of chairs for the privacy of their conversation.

He was holding her shoes, though he couldn't remember picking them up, nor the reason why he held them in the first place, but now that they were in his possession, he couldn't help but admire them. The silver heels were at least six inches tall, making it more heel than shoe. The inside velvet was already worn down to the soles. He thought to himself, she has really tiny feet--

Danielle burped quietly; her face flushed pink all the way to the tips of her ears.

"My bad," she gasped, innocently surprised at herself. Tired as she was, her eyelids had the look as though they were being propped open by her quarter-sized irises, brimming with reflected light yet somehow hard and lifeless. They can't be natural. It took him a moment to realize she was staring back.

"Uh...you...." He looked away. "You want your shoes back?" She didn't look too happy at all.

"Should I really be walking tonight?"

"Dani, honestly? Can't you handle your liquor?"

She stuck her tongue out at him, pulling herself up to her would-be-bare feet, if it weren't for the thin black fabric of her pantyhose covering them. Alfred tried not to gaze up her slender legs without very much success. His eyes followed the curve of the firm calves hollowing at the back of the knees, and finally the upper thighs that clung to the hem of a snug, white dress. She caught him looking and in response, attempted to curtsy. Almost fell forward onto her face.

"Okay, no more parties for a while," she said, steadying herself up, hair falling in gentle waves of amber flecked with red glitter and confetti. She busied herself with dusting off imaginary specs of dust, then bent back, stretching the delicate arch of her back. Alfred couldn't take his eyes off of her.

"I'll take you home," he said, standing up, and even he surprised himself. Danielle gave him a wry look, before spinning abruptly around to face the group of her friends who were waiting for her at the other end of the hall. She waved.

“I'll go say good-bye to everyone, then.” And she bounded off with energy that kept him guessing as to its source. He might have followed after her, but a part of him enjoyed it this way: watching as her retreating figure vanished into the mass of party-goers. And tonight he was finally one of them.

Quickly, he began to gather their coats, her shoes still in his hand.

It was strange for him to feel this way about a girl, and possibly unprecedented. It's not that he wasn't a normal young male with thoughts and urges and things, like everybody else, just that Alfred never really entertained the notion of himself together with anyone before. So over time, he grew to be okay with that. To put it simply, he was hardly the good-looking heart-throb, or even sidekick to the heart-throb. Enough rejection over the years clued him in to that fact. He was the one the kids bullied in elementary school. Called gay in junior high—you know everything uncool was gay in junior high. In high school, he was that loveable geek. That too-nice-to-date-but-who-will-always-be-just-a-friend guy. You know that guy.

And Danielle, he didn't know how, but Danielle was the antithesis to his nature. She was the short to his tall, the cheer to his gloom, the social to his lack-there-of. She was also standing right behind him.

God!” Alfred held his throat. “You scared the shit outta me!” She only laughed at him, tugging on his arm as she dragged him towards the front door.

“Come on, come on—it's snowing!”

Sure enough, after only seconds of stepping outside, they were already covered in white flakes clinging onto the fabrics of their clothes in much the same way that the hundreds of millions of people along the east coast held onto their treasured memories of the last year. The streets were barren, a desert of snow reflecting the orange glow of the streetlamps. The sound of fireworks going off overhead made the night resemble more a blazing battlefield than a winter wonderland. A battlefield of the invading snow offering the chance of forgetting. Forget yesterday. Forget yourself. Tomorrow all of the snow will be cleared, and the streets will be like new.

Danielle was a spinning ballerina, dancing in the middle of the street with her mouth opened wide to admit the flurries. Alfred on the other hand, became a human target, the guys from the party pelting him with snowballs.

“Fuck you, Teagan!” Alfred said, shaking his hair free of snow.

“Happy New Years to you too, Alfredo!” The Irish boy winked as he ran off with the rest of the gang. Snowballs were being thrown every which way, a cacophony of cries and hollers heard above distant car alarms and barking dogs. All Alfred heard was the glee in Danielle's laughter. She came up beside him, her nose rubbed raw by the wind.

“Your friends?” she asked.

“Some friends, right?” Alfred said, rolling his eyes, but there was a slight smile on his face. The question was not asked in any derogatory or judgmental fashion, but with a genuine sincerity and interest.

“The best,” she said. “I knew old Teague since middle school.” Danielle walked on ahead, her hands behind her back.

“Lucky him,” he muttered.

“What was that?”

“Don't worry about it.”

“Well,” she paused, turning around slowly towards him, “he taught me something.”

Suddenly, Alfred found himself nervous. Danielle had bent down grabbing a handful of snow in her hands, but before she could land a throw, Alfred was already ducking behind a shrubbery bush. This was his chance. He doubled back, scraping some snow off the windshield of a nearby Honda. When he looked back...where was she?

There! He caught a glimpse of her red coat around the corner. She was not quick enough to dodge the blow. Alfred found himself laughing, fumbling forward to help her up. She reminded him of a lost puppy, scurrying around in the snow for ammunition to fire back at him.

He didn't know how it happened.

She was always just a friend of a friend, some girl in his french class and nothing more, and yet here they were out tonight, huddled close. His right hand in hers, his left arm hovering around the small of her back, inching for any opportunity of contact, but he needn't struggle, because she was there closing the gap, leaning into his large frame before he even got the change to realize what he was doing.

Imagination and reality melded together that night to some twisted realization of lust and hot breaths steaming in the cold. Panting, he had her against the wall, her body closing into him. There was a dizzying sensation filling his hazy thoughts. Indeed, she was the antithesis to his everything: her tender lips to his chapped ones. He took in the scent of raspberries, tasting the wine from her tongue, feeling her frantic heartbeat, and the sensation of wet and hot, deeper than any embrace, where time itself unraveled, darkness closing in, like a diver long underwater struggling for the urge to pop his head from beneath the surface.

Just like that, the moment was over. He came back to the surface, lungs racing, and an actual smile playing about at his lips. It was the realization that he, Alfred Tiller, had just had his first kiss.
Last edited by Audy on Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:07 am, edited 6 times in total.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:27 am
View Likes
Lava says...

Oy vey Oddster!

I have this need to make Alfredo sauce now. Anyways,

Very season-ish. 'Cause I'm partial to those. ;D Reminds me of something I wrote a while back.

I think the main issue for me is... we know what's going to happen so you beautifully create a path for us to follow. And in some places, we had to veer off that path and then get back on.

He thought to himself, she has really tiny feet.
This is a good thought-process line but somehow it seems to beg for a continuation? Or perhaps break this thought actively as you bring in Danielle.
Almost fell forward onto her face.
This doesn't quite continue the flow of the other sentences. More like someting someone tells to themselves-like.
With both hands, she began to preen herself, dainty fingers dusting off imaginary specs of dust.
That chunk there is redundant; and not in a good way. Me, I'd prefer the detail-y part after the chunk.
I found the description of him as the geek kind of obvious. It seemed obvious from the start. So, instead of these details, or lesser of this, and a little more on his character?
The street Scene. Brilliant!
I'm sure you can improve on the end. It was good, but what I'd like is more from who these characters are.
Another thing is, I thought they were 20-somethings until you mentioned it.

Cheers!
~Lavs
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:19 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

The title made me think of kissing pasta. The image greatly amused me.

The New Years celebration ended with the two unlikely couple sitting on the floor, their backs against the wall, exchanging the convenience of chairs for the privacy of their conversation.

The misplaced "two" in the first sentence made me wince. For shame, Audy! You know the importance of a good first sentence!

Not to mention that it made things a bit confusing. At first, I thought there were two sets of couples sitting on the floor and conversing with one another.

He was holding her shoes. Though he cannot remember picking them up, nor the reason why he held them in the first place.

And then along came this fragment that just really didn't match up with the flow of the first sentence and sentences after it. It sticks out like a sore thumb, and we're just starting the second paragraph.

If I didn't know you, I would have stopped right there.

And then your flow issues evaporate like so much water on the surface of Mercury, and all is well.

I don't really like romance, but you have a cute story here. Some of the descriptions, especially that of the kiss, struck me as being a bit too purple, and the purpleness obscured the actual event. The kissing scene in particular, due to how particularly descriptive it was, had me thinking they were doing more than kissing, which made me go "o_O That's the most detailed and flowery description of a kiss I have ever read."

Otherwise, and aside from that rocky beginning, the writing was pretty solid.

The title still makes me think about kissing pasta.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:29 pm
View Likes
xDudettex says...

Yo, Audy!

I wasn't going to review today, because work has zapped the motivation from me, but then I saw you'd posted this and I knew I had to comment :)

So, there's not really much left to say that Lava and Kyllorac haven't already mentioned. Apart from the fact that, and this is going to sound like I'm splitting hairs to think of something different to say, which I am, but her shoes disappear. One minute they're in his hands and then the two of them go outside and she's walking in the snow. In just tights, she should be limping with the numbness, because I'm guessing she still doesn't have her shoes on because you didn't mention Alfred giving them back to her. It's not a big problem - just something that needs to be added in. I wouldn't have noticed normally, but as you mentioned the shoes two or three times in the lead up to them going outside, all I kept askng myself when reading the outside scene, which was great by the way, was 'Where are her shoes?'

The disappearing shoes aside, this was a really cute story. I agree that the kiss scene was a bit predictable, because of the title, but it was also almost too overdone. There were so many descriptions and images that I kind of got lost. The diving one was nice though, and the ending made me go 'aww'. Cute!

Yeah, so this isn't a great review, but I just had to comment.

xDudettex
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:33 pm
View Likes
murtuza says...

Hey, Audy!

Firstly, this is not a review. I'm too inexperienced in writing short stories to give out any sort of correctional value for this piece. But all I can say is that I like this very much. I like the way how the narrator delved into every moment that the two people shared. It made the story all the more fun and inviting.

The imagery you've laid out is beautiful. The key descriptions of all the details and the moods and personalities of each individual has been really well thought out. The entire context might be cliched, seeing as it's one of those 'the geeky-but-sweet guy finally gets the girl' type stories. But just the delivery of it all made this piece stand out really well. And I do agree with xDudettex. The heels that were being so obsessed over had suddenly disappeared as the plot continued to lay out. Though I don't think it's such a big deal since I barely noticed that until I came across xDudettex's review xD

I'm deeply sorry if I couldn't give you the critique that you wanted, but this certainly has helped me understand more about writing short-stories. All in all, a wonderful story, that just brings in that endearing spirit of the season. Thanks for the read and keep the ink flowing, Audy! ^.^

Murtuza
:)
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:52 am
View Likes
Lavvie says...

Audy! I shall review you now.

I know this statement has been repeated, but the title really made me think of pasta. And there is no food in my house and so I'm really hungry now. Thanks.

I'll try my best since Lavtwin and Kyll and Dudette already pointed out everything.

I really enjoyed the narration aspect of it all. Have you ever seen that movie, Stranger Than Fiction? Because this really reminded me of how that movie is narrated. It's clearly your typical limited omniscient, but in a different way and I really liked that twist. Or maybe I'm just imagining things, but I doubt it.

I must agree with Kyll in saying that sometimes it felt like there was so much detail per sentence. I didn't think a lot of it was useless - because it really added a personality to the piece - but some things just made me think, Really Audy? Mostly in the kissing scene. It was nicely written, but I still found that I had to remind myself what this description was really for. It's a little too much almost. But, that aside, I enjoyed the story mostly. I'm a sucker for these romances set during the Holiday season. They're always so sweet and charming and heart-warming.

A nitpick, too:

He was holding her shoes, though he cannot remember picking them up,

That's an awkward placement of 'cannot' mainly because your entire story is written using past tense and then all of a sudden it's in present tense. As Ellen Degeneres would say, not good, dude, not good. This should be 'could not', instead.

And I seriously enjoyed the whole short to tall, cheer to gloom thing. A complete and utter 'awwwe' moment.

Adorable, Audy.

Yours,
Lavvie

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:03 am
TinyDancer says...

Oh my goodness. You are so talented. This is so sweet and lovely and perfect ;) I really think you should expand this as you were contemplating doing in the beginning. These characters are lovable, and I like their names. Call me crazy, but I think the names of the characters really set the tone for their personalities. I might steal the name Teagan from you...just be warned. That last bit about the kiss was just heart-melting. I'm a sucker for aesthetic descrpitions, and you really know how to make one. I'm very jealous ;) Seriously, though. You are good. Much better than me, anyway. That is why I can't find any error in your piece. (I do agree with the whole missing shoes thing, though...where are they? Oh, and the pasta thing too...but in a good way!) So this isn't as much of a review as it is a compliment. I wish I could write like you, my friend. You've gained a follower, for sure.

~Jess
`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

“The circus arrives without warning.
No announcements precede it.
It is simply there,
When yesterday it was not.”

`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

You sound like you're becoming emotionally involved with the custard.
— Nikki Morgan