z

Young Writers Society

W.A.S (Incomplete, Ending Segment)

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:22 pm
RickBurns says...

For a short period of time, I was inspired enough to write down everything of how I wanted the story ends (but couldn't think of how I want to begin my story). I included a brief description of a couple of major characters and brief summary of the beginning (not sure if I should keep the beginning). Technically the segments are individual scenes of the story so don't expect it to "flow" right. The purpose is to critique the work. I also wanted to test the readers to find out what W.A.S stands for. (I want to find out if its obvious or not)
*NOTE: Expect grammatical errors (I may love writing, it doesn't mean I'm good at it, and thanks for the crtique so far)

A story about Kyle Weston, a 16 years old geek from Newton Catholic Highschool. He encounters a troublesome girl named Melissa Kudrow when she is trying to seduce his lunch money from him but he only brings packed lunch. So she takes his lunch box instead. Out of many other things that he could tolerate, Kyle doesn’t like his food taken away from him, so he hurls it back. Many things happened thereafter. He is then ends up hanging out with Melissa even though Melissa already has a boyfriend named Michael Payne.

Michael Payne is a star athlete and ace in academics. He has, however, the inferiority complex therefore picking on geeks, and nerds. He is tall, and fit. He has blond hair and blue eyes.

Kyle Weston is a video game nerd or “otaku”. Though he is a friend to most who encounters him, he is not particularly smart or talented, therefore being picked on by Michael. He also tolerates all of Michael’s antics. For 16 years old, he is shorter than the average male height, straight black hair, and bright brown eyes. He has a hobby of playing guitar.

Melissa “Missy” Kudrow is a troubled teenager. Her mother died of child birth, therefore lives with her father and two older twin brothers. She is quite aggressive and straightforward than Kyle. She is almost as tall as Kyle, short and wavy brunette with unique green-blue eyes. Despite her looks and personality, she excels in academics, and performed well in arts, and physical activities.

Segment 1:
“I wish this would never end,” as she laid her head on his shoulder
“Yeah,” He said softly “Me too”. Then he started picking off soft notes to his guitar, as Melissa falls asleep on his shoulder.

Segment 2:
“Payne, for 3 years, I have tolerated your harassment and for once,” Kyle paused. Michael is giving a sharp expression into Kyle, but Kyle continues, pointing his finger down, “I’ve never thought you would go so low to hit an innocent girl. You are a model student in the school, so act like one!”

Segment 3:
Due to his fragile body, Kyle’s bones are shattered. Michael’s punches broke his left jaw and some of his broken ribs ended up piercing to his guts. His ears were shot. His arms were darkened with bruises. The skin on his face broke, and bled. As soon as Michael and his friends left, the world mourned. Hard rain soon came, washing away the blood Kyle coughed out. To him, the moment feels like an hour.
He is starting to lose his vision. In the last moments of his life, he saw the girl he likes for a long time. He knew its Melissa. She ran up to him and picked up his head from the wet pavement and started cry. ‘Don’t cry,’ Kyle mouths the words but the sharp pain from his jaw makes his lips barely readable.
“Why did you do that?” she sobs. “You’re such an idiot!”
Kyle swallows his pain and starting to talk. “Missy, it’s not like you to cry...”
Melissa still sheds her tears. “You’re a strong girl, and you know that”
“Please Kyle, don’t die!” she takes out her phone and types 911. “See? I’m calling 911 right now!”
The emergency line picks up the phone.
“I need help! My friend’s hurt, he’s beaten up pretty badly and I don’t know what to do!”
The emergency line then asks for the location and she tells it to them. “Please! Hurry!” she then hangs up the phone.
“Missy, please tell my parents that I thank them, for everything.”
“You can say that later, you’re not gonna die here!” She is trying to recover her composure but she couldn’t stop crying. Kyle wants to tell her that he loves her but he knows that it is useless now. He would never be able to be with Melissa anymore.
“Missy?” Kyle groans.
“Yeah?”
“Remember that song I played?”
She nods. Kyle’s vision is starting to give up. He raises his hand and strokes her cheek, weakly wiping off her ever-flowing tears.
“Don’t forget to smile okay? Live your life with a smile...”
He doesn’t feel all the pain anymore. Then he begins to hear the song that he and Melissa shared. He recalls all the events of his life; his childhood, his family, friends, his video games, and more importantly, his time with Melissa. As the song finishes, Kyle gives his last smile. His hand gives in. He then breathes his last, leaving his smile as his last memento to the world.
“Kyle! I love you!” She yells. “You are the better guy for me! Why do you hate me so much?! Why are you such a priest?! “. Kyle doesn’t respond. ”Why don’t you love me back!” She shakes him. “KYLE!” Then she continues to mourn with the rest of the world.
Last edited by RickBurns on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:34 am
View Likes
JudyG710 says...

Wow. I very much enjoyed the strong emotional touch you added to this story. I must say, that I found some grammar errors, but I tend to, so that's not a particularly huge issue for me. I liked that it explained a few things in the beginning, that the descriptions were well-thought out and very helpful to the emotional sense to this. I did not like however, that you skipped parts. I understand that it's incomplete though, so I can let that slide. Other than grammar, and putting your story fully together, I really enjoyed reading this. Keep at it, and may the Force be with you. :D
"Always believe in yourself. Do this, and no matter where you are, you will have nothing to fear." - Baron Humbert von Gikkingen
JudyG <3

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:51 am
NightWriter says...

Hey RickBurns,

Practice will improve your grammar and punctuation. You just need to watch from slipping from past to present. Stick with one.

Segment one, was my favourite, by far. I mean, I'm a girl, so quite presumably, I found it cute and would love to read a book like that.
Segment two, was my least favourite. I mean, if we're being honest, it's cheesy and just...well; lame.
Segment three was really emotive. I mean really emotive. That's the sort of writing I'm trained in, and so it's definitely a favourite. But there is an unspoken rule of good novel writers out there, and that is "Never Kill Your Main Character - You Kill Your Chances Of A Good Novel With It"
Basically, you technically could do it. I mean; theoretically. But please, for the sake of your audience, don't. On top of that, it's pretty unlikely to die from a school punch up. Seriously injured maybe, but dying? Not really.

It's up to you for what happens. You could do something like segment three, make him live, and then flip forward two months and finish with segment one in an epilogue.
Really, you have a good base for your story already. Write out the plot points and you're good to start.

Best of luck!

NightWriter x
raised by wolves // brought up on words.

Life is like a bag of potatoes, it starts out rough, but can turn into something beautiful (and yummy).
— Ley