z

Young Writers Society

Jarred Heart

165 Reviews

Reviews: 165
Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:25 pm
Sassykat says...

Spoiler! :
For the Song Prompt contest. I was given the song Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri. I thought I'd change it around though, and make it not from the view of the broken person, but from the view of the friend of the broken person. Hope you like it. :-D

"Shh. Shhhh. It's okay, Am. Don't cry." Such a pointless thing to say. Amity had been going out with Dallon for months, how could she not cry when he broke up with her? They were so close. It was so sweet watching them together. It was clear they adored each other. Heck, I was almost crying. I can't, though. I have to be strong for her. She's not tough enough to get through this by herself. She's too willing, too...sweet. Interesting. Before now I had never thought of that as a bad thing.

I tightened my grip around her tiny shoulders. Dallon approaches. "Hey, lets go to my house. We'll have smoothies and do our nails." I smiled down at her.

"Kaylee, you always know just what to say." She brushed her shimmery blond hair out of her tear-streaked face and turned toward the parking lot. I winced as, in the process, she happened to notice Dallon standing not ten feet away. Amity took a deep breath and, as I watched, astounded, marched her little frame up to Dallon. He stared down at her, expressionless.

I jumped about a foot as Amity, with more power than I though possible from her, backhanded him across the face. She was about to rebound and slap him again when he grabbed her toothpick wrist in his own muscle-bound fist and tossed her to the ground as though she were an apple core, gnawed to a scrap of trash no more worth holding onto than, well, an apple core. I heard her start sobbing afresh, and, as he turned away, I darted up to him, snagged his shirt in my fist, twirling him around. He looked startled, even more so when I started talking.

"Just who do you think you are?" I said between my teeth. "You've scarred her. You've broken her. Thanks to you, she'll never be the same."

"I think I'm Amity Jensen's ex-boyfriend. Let go of my shirt."

"That's it? That's all you can say? Do you feel any shame? Do you feel anything at all? You cold monster, does love mean anything to you?"

"What's the big deal? Lemme go." With that he jerked his arm out of my grip, shoved his hands in his pockets, and walked off.

I helped Am off the sidewalk and helped her to my car. Her arm was bleeding. I cleaned it up before starting the car and driving to my house. As I started the blender running with some strawberries in it, I asked, "Are you feeling okay now?"

"I guess," Was her only reply. She sounded raspy, shaky. I guess that's all you can expect for someone who'd been crying for the past ten minutes. I stood there a while longer, wondering what to say. When the blender turned off and I could hear clearly I could hear her crying again. I went to her.

"Oh, come on. You know that if he broke up with you he doesn't deserve you. You are so amazing, you'll find someone else."

Wrong thing to say. She cried harder. I sat and patted her shoulder for a minute before she said, "I stopped living today. He was my only reason."

"Don't say that!" I gasped.

She looked me in the eyes. "I just did," She whispered. "You can have my share of the smoothie. I just want to go home."

I nodded. I took her home in my car. We said nothing. There were many times I wanted to, but at this point I feared it was pointless.

The next months oozed past, a single, sludgy, thick, mass of gray and brown. I would never understand why those were our school colors. They don't even go together. I stuck by Amity's side, but sometimes I wondered if she wanted me there anymore. More than once she would slip away, not to be seen for a long while. She seemed more and more tired. She lost weight.

I found her one day in the bathroom. Her pink hi-tops, the ones she wore every day, protruded from underneath the stall door. She was kneeling down, crying and dry-heaving simultaneously. "Am?" I winced as she not-so-dry-heaved. "Amity, are you okay?"

I could hear her breathing slowly. When she finally came out she didn't look at me. She only went to the sink and rinsed her face off. She glanced up, hesitated, then came tentatively into my arms. She was so frail, I was afraid I would break her. She was shaking so hard, I wondered if she needed my help or if she would break herself first. I pulled away and peered into her hollow eyes. "Do you want to use my phone and go home, or do you want to get a ride with me? I don't mind skipping trig."

She muttered that she would take the ride. The entire time I was driving I could almost feel the cold emanating from her. I asked her if she would be coming to school tomorrow, or if she was too sick.

"I'm not sick."

"But you just..."

"I know."

We were silent for several more moments. As I pulled up into the driveway of her house she turned to me. "Please, Kaylee, don't tell anyone I'm making myself throw up."

"Why?"

"I'd...I'd just rather not anyone know."

"No, I understand. What I want to know is why you're...doing that." I couldn't bring myself to say the words.

"I figured that if Dallon doesn't want me I must be really unattractive. Losing weight was the only thing I could start doing without my mom knowing about it. I have to do everything I can to get him back." She was silent for a moment. "Can I go now?"

She sounded so sad and exhausted that I couldn't say no. I promised to keep her secret and let her out of the car, then drove back to school without paying much attention to where I was going. The rest of the day passed by in a haze. My best friend is bulimic. My best friend is bulimic, cycled through my head; noisy, smelly, and disturbing as the circus.

I had to help her. If I couldn't tell I would have to help her myself. It would be hard, but it would be worth seeing the light in her eyes again. She was still half-alive. Not half-dead, half-alive. I had to be strong for Amity.

I talked to her more. I introduced her to my friends. It worked, kind of. I saw a spark every once in a while, though at times I wondered if it was wishful thinking. Sometimes I talked to her, asked her if she was going to get help. Every time she gave me a firm 'No.'

Things went downhill again a bit later. Dallon started asking after Amity again. I wasted no time after that. I couldn't let Amity get hurt again. I called her parents and told her what she had told me. They called a therapist, and she was gone. At first I couldn't believe what I had done, I had just broken a promise. I kept telling myself it was for the better. That it was okay if Amity never spoke to me again, because she would get out of her eating disorder.

She was gone for year. It was in the middle of our senior year I finally saw her again, though I barely recognized her. She had color in her cheeks again. She had gained weight and looked healthy. Her eyes had the same sparks of quirky humor they had before. When she met my eyes she embraced me so tightly I couldn't breathe. "Thank you. I'm so sorry. I love you."

By then we were both crying. When Dallon showed up I barely noticed through my joy of seeing Amity happy again. She noticed, though, and marched up to him. After a fearful deja-vu moment I realized it would be different now. She spoke to him evenly and calmly; "I owe you an apology, too. I'm sorry I let you use me for so long. I'm sorry I didn't see through your lies. You were so good at weaving them, though, I hope you won't hold too much of a grudge on me." She was being sarcastic again. I couldn't believe how much I had missed that in her. "All that remains now is for me to promise that I will never make the same mistake again. I'm strong enough without you."

With that she turned neatly on her heel and fairly strutted back to me. She smiled brightly, tossed her hair, and pulled me away. I could hear Dallon calling for us. Who does he think he is, I wondered finally. He held her heart in a jar for so long, like an insect. Imprisoned. What makes him think he can sweet-talk her back in? Who do you think you are, Dallon? Who do you think you are?
Last edited by Sassykat on Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shakespearian tongue-twister:

To sit in solemn silence
In a dark, dank dock
In a pestilential prison
With a lifelong lock;
Awaiting the sensation
Of a short, sharp shock
Of a cheap, chippy chopper
On a big black block.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:06 pm
PandaRawr says...

First I will say Jar of Hearts is one of my favorite songs, and I love what you did with it. The whole thing from the friends POV made this all the better. I have been through that so many times with my friends though that I have one nitpick. one thing that would have made this more relatable. For me anyway. She should have punched him! One of the times when he was confronted that dude should have really got a mouth full of fist.
I really feel strongly avout ex-boyfriends because my friends go through them like clothes. And more than once those guys have got my fist or an earful of what I thought.
Really, though, I liked this and was wondering what is the Song Prompt contest. Please PM me.

Forever, Writer.
When you turn to face the sun, all of the shadows fall behind you.
I used to be Writer97 but that was boring so I changed it. PandaRawr is more me.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:29 am
wonderland says...

Alright, so, this is good, and I know how hard it is to get into a song and base a story on that.
This being said, however, you needed to go more in depth with your characters because it wasn't very relatable. Actually, to me, the conflict felt more cliche, becuase it feels like eating disorders are everywhere on the media at the moment, such as on the TV show 'Make it Or Break It'.

For the story to be relatable, really plan it out, and think about what you would do in the characters situation. Do more character work and go more in depth into what they characters are thinking, then plan scenes around that. Doing that will make it easier for the reader to understand the situation.

You also need more emotion. Having emotion will not only help to make the story more relatable, but also your characters and the situation your characters are in more believable. Bring out emotion by going into detail about the characters mannerisms, little habits and appearances.

Good luck in the contest, I'm entering as well.
~WickedWonder
'We will never believe again, kick drum beating in my chest again, oh, we will never believe in anything again, preach electric to a microphone stand.'

*Formerly wickedwonder*

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:09 am
TabbyGirl says...

Hola XD

'kie dai, well, I like it, but, as ever, I have issues with it...

Positives or negatives first?

Meh, I'll do positives, they're in my head...

One of the things I thought you did best was the way you described Amity as a fragile person. You expressed this characteristic consistently, so I could really picture her XD

Also, (I think someone else mentioned this, sorry XP) I liked that it was from a friend's point of view... sort of, like, an observer, you'know?

Which, brings me to the first negative... Okay, so, I noticed you used some (almost) direct quotes from the song itself... which is cool, because it makes the connection stronger, but in the song it's the girl that had her heart broken that was asking "who do you think you are?" and such. I mean, I suppose her friend could have been thinking the exact same thing... personally, I don't think you need to put the (almost) quotes. Yes, they make the connection stronger, but, honestly? They felt kind of forced as I read them.

Also, it did move sort of fast for me... (this is something I've heard other reviewers say) I think you did a bit too much "telling" and not enough "showing," you'know?

But on the whole, it was a good interpretation XD

Happy writing

--
Tabby

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:06 pm
xDudettex says...

Hey there!

I love the song this story is based on, so I was always going to want to like the story :)

It has real potential. I don't want to sound repetitive, but the POV really made the story. I think, if it had been from Amity's POV, it could have gotten too whiny and 'Woe is me.'

I do have a couple of pointers -

1. I agree with Writer97 in that I think the narrator's reaction to Dallon pushing Amity over should have been a bit more... powerful. If a guy pushed my best friend over, I know I'd give the guy something to think about. She doesn't have to hit him, but maybe be a little more vocal. Her best friend is lying on the concrete, bleeding, because the guy pushed her over. She should be angry, seething. I want to know how angry she is. Show me with her thoughts and in the way she talks. Have her shout at him.

2. I think the transition between these parts -

I helped Am off the sidewalk and helped her to my car. Her arm was bleeding. I cleaned it up before starting the car and driving to my house. As I started the blender running with some strawberries in it, I asked, "Are you feeling okay now?"

- is too rushed. One minute they're in the car and then they're suddenly at a house. You don't have to write a long winded description of the ride to the house, but make it a little clearer that time is passing. Maybe write in some of the MCs thoughts. Is she stil angry at Dallon? Sad for Amity? E.g;

'I helped Am off the sidewalk and leadher to my car. Her arm was bleeding. I cleaned it up before starting the car and driving to my house. Amity was quiet and I glanced to my right to see her staring out of the window. My heart was still pumping furiously at the thought of what Dallon had done. How could he have thrown someone that he was supposed to have loved to the floor?

I took a deep breath as I pulled into the driveway. Amity followed me to the kithcen slowly, her eyes dull and her face wet with tears.
As I started the blender running with some strawberries in it, I asked, "Are you feeling okay now?"'

My example is a bit lame, but you get the idea, right? Also, I replaced the second 'helped' with 'lead' to stop the sentence from feeling repetitive.

3. I think she needs to be more worried about Amity, when she finds her throwing up in the toilets. Put yourself in the MC's shoes. If your best friend was dry heaving, trying to throw up, how would you react? I know I'd be scared for her safety. Worried that she's ill. Angry that she's let Dallon get to her that much. Also, you make Amity say that she did it because her mother wouldn't notice. I don't think that makes much sense. I think her mum would notice if she suddenly started losing wait - if not, she's a terrible mother.

4. I spotted a few mistakes;

I can't, though. I have to be strong for her.

'I couldn't though. I had to be strong for her.' - My changes are because the piece is in past tense, but the words I've altered were in present tense.

Dallon approaches.

'approaches' should be 'approached' as the story is in past tense.

"I just did," She whispered

'She' should be 'she'

I nodded. I took her home in my car. We said nothing. There were many times I wanted to, but at this point I feared it was pointless.

The next months oozed past, a single, sludgy, thick, mass of gray and brown. I would never understand why those were our school colors.

There needs to be something between these sentences to show that time has passed. Maybe use '***' or more spacing between the paragraphs to show that there's been a transition in time.

So, overall I really liked this. I think that, if you follow my advice, you'll have a super great piece on your hands!

I hope this helps and good luck in the contest :D

xDudettex
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

The moral of Snow White is never eat apples.
— Lemony Snicket