z

Young Writers Society

Another Gaze

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:49 pm
theotherone says...

I re-wrote the story, it's called Eyes of A Stranger... Check it out!

People were jumping around, pushing, sweating. They were screaming in unison, and I could barely make out the words of the song but it didn’t matter. I was screaming myself, my mouth wide open and articulating words I couldn’t even hear on top of the song the band was playing.

Everything was a blur around me, apart from those clear blue eyes that were still watching me.

When the concert began, I caught hold of them. I was so absorbed by them; I didn’t even remember the other features that composed the face they were set in. But again, it didn’t matter. I was here to see my boyfriend perform.

I forced myself to jump like the others surrounding me, swinging my wet hair out of my eyes. I looked up, trying to actually see the boys that were on the stage. Sam was up there somewhere, playing his guitar and jumping up and down to the beat of the song he was playing. I knew that even if we didn’t see each other, it meant a lot to him that I was here tonight.

It was his first real show, opening up for a quite famous band called For Today. Round In Circles, Sam’s band, had performed a lot in the last year, but it had been a great surprise when they were invited to play with one of their favorite bands.

Once again, a flash of light illuminated the mysterious eyes, looking in my direction. They caused me to turn around abruptly, pushing past two guys that were moshing. They smiled at me, looking me over to make sure I wasn’t hurt.

“I’m fine,” I mumbled, but the tall blond guy still looked at me, startled. He put his ear close to my mouth, shaking his head to show he hadn’t heard.

“I’m okay, thanks,” I screamed this time, and another smile stretched the guy’s lips. His thumb lifted into the air and he walked away, leaving me.

I looked back to a bunch of guys, dancing and punching the air around them, some were screaming at the top of their lungs.

This was exactly why I loved concerts so much. The energy level was at its highest, and nobody was really judging.

What are you waiting for? A voice called out to me. I smiled, taking a few steps into the mosh pit and throwing my arms around. It didn’t take long before my body was tired, my heart beating fast and my lungs burning to get more air. But deep screams, low guitar riffs and repetitive drums were all you needed to get a thousand, over excited teens to let loose, including me.

People were pushing back, forming a larger open space in the middle of the crowd. It didn’t take long before that hole filled up with people, pushing each other hard. I was pushed into it, not having a second to resist, before someone else rammed into me. The little air I still had left my lungs as my mouth opened in a silent scream. Then, I was on the floor but hands caught me, trying to help me up. When they finally succeeded, I stumbled to face those eyes again. They were piercing my soul, probably seeing right through me. My hands went up to cover my chest, like I was naked and I was trying to cover myself. I felt my cheeks growing hot, and I knew they were a deep shade of crimson. Thank God for the poor lighting, I thought.

The eyes that were still looking right in mine were leaving me feeling hot all over. I felt nervous, even though I didn’t have any reason to be. My thoughts were jumbled... A puzzle I couldn’t even begin to decipher.

While I was still obsessing and trying to calm myself down, we stood there, immobile and oblivious to the untamed crowd surrounding us. The light was reflecting off of the blue irises and my eyes went down a little to gaze at the full lips that were strecthing to a warm smile. An intimate smile, my mind corrected.

Are you okay? He seemed to say. His lips weren’t moving, but his eyes spoke in a way no lips, no matter how beautiful, could have done. I nodded, still too stunned to answer. He wouldn’t have heard me if I did.

His eyes drifted to the back of the room, where an exit was probably nestled. Do you want to go outside? His eyes seemed to ask. I did, it was incredibly hot in here, and I felt like I was on the verge of passing out. He seemed to understand too, like he too could read me just like an open book. Like my thoughts were all exposed before him. He took my hand and pushed his way into the crowd. It didn’t take long before we were through the main door, taking deep breaths of fresh air. Air that was rare back in that stuffed venue.

He spoke then, his voice taking me by surprise. It was pretty low and rough, not what I had expected from a guy like him. Legs clad in a pair of dark skinny jeans, and an August Burns Red shirt tightly covering his chest, he looked like a pretty big guy.

“It’s pretty crazy in there. I wasn’t sure you were going to get out of there alive,” he said, laughing at his joke. I smiled, I wasn’t sure I had the energy to laugh.

“My name’s Trevor by the way,” he said, looking at me expectantly.

“I’m Tess.” I extended my hand out of habit. He took it in his, shaking it once before letting it go. My hand bounced against my side, and I could still feel the pressure of his palm against mine, a tingling making its way up my arm.

I looked around, feeling like I should say something to make this less awkward, but I didn’t know what to say. It turned out I didn’t have to say anything because there were people flooding out of the door, probably taking some air before going back in there for one final band. Sam had finished his gig.

I had a sinking feeling in my gut, a name appeared before my eyes. I hadn’t even thought of Sam since Trevor had came over to me. I couldn’t help but feel guilty that I was standing outside with another guy that wasn't my boyfriend. And that this guy, had such an effect on me.

“I’ve got to go see my boyfriend; he’s probably waiting for me backstage...” I left my sentence unfinished, pointing behind me at the side door, where Sam probably was.

“He’s in Round In Circles? Well, let me at least bring you back to him,” he said, his face warmed up by another one of his smiles. I nodded, feeling too much like a bitch to say no, but still wanting his company.

“The door’s probably locked,” I said, feeling stupid.

“Come, I know another way.” He pushed me along the mass of people, shoving when it was necessary. We got back inside, and then he turned to the left, nodding to a guy standing close to the door. It seemed like a storage room, so many boxes of CD’s and shirts covering the floor. But then he directed me to another door, one that led to the room just beside the stage. The one I had been with Sam just before the show had begun.

When Sam saw me, he smiled and spread his arms so I could fit right in, giving me a tight hug.

“You were awesome.” He didn’t answer. Instead, he looked over my head, to Trevor, who was still standing behind me.

“Hey man, it’s been a long time.” His voice surprised me. He sounded like he knew Trevor.

“I know. She’s right, you guys were pretty good.” Trevor smiled again, eyes flashing just for a second toward me and then coming back to settle on Sam’s face. It made me shiver, and I knew it shouldn’t have. It felt wrong to stand next to Sam, wrong to look him in the eyes and smile.

“You guys know each other?” I asked, looking from one to the other. Trevor winked at me, smiling once again. I was getting angry with him. Why did he have to smile so much?

“Yeah, we went to school together for a bit,” Sam said, taking me by the waist. I had the impulse to push him away, but I got myself together before I could even move my hand. Trevor seemed to see the conflict inside of me, his blue eyes pouring into me.

I didn’t even know him and he still made me sway. Sam didn’t even had that effect on me, and he was my boyfriend for God’s sake. My heart was so confused, pounding to another gaze, another voice, other hands then my own boyfriend's.
Last edited by theotherone on Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Behind every mask, lies a man that can't live in his own skin. - Woe is Me <3
Need a reviewer? I don't bite, I promise. :) ---> viewtopic.php?f=188&t=76466

151 Reviews

Reviews: 151
Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:41 pm
Amfliflier says...

Wow, this was really good! I liked the mystery at the beginning, how all she could see were his eyes. It really made me want to keep reading. I also liked the ending, how Trevor and Sam knew each other. That adds another layer to the story. I certainly hope you're making a sequel to this, because I want to find out what happens next! :)
Forever for All <3

MUSIC RULES! :)

Everyday is Earth Day! :D

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:48 pm
TheTruthLiesWithin says...

Hello sistaah :) Saw you posted some new work and thought I should check it out. Here I am, watch out!

theotherone wrote:Sixteen for the use of one swear word... You guys can decided if it's appropriate or not. :)

People were jumping around, pushing, sweating. They were screaming in unison, and I could barely make out the words of the song but it didn’t matter. I was screaming myself, my mouth wide open and articulating words I couldn’t even hear on top of the song the band was playing. Ahhhh, love x) Makes me think of something, Other?

Everything was a blur around me, apart from those clear blue eyes that were still watching me.

When the concert began, I caught hold of them. I was so absorbed by them; I didn’t even remember the other features that composed the face they were set in. But again, it didn’t matter. I was here to see my boyfriend perform.

I forced myself to jump like the others surrounding me, swinging my wet hair out of my eyes. I looked up, trying to actually see the boys that were on the stage. Sam was up there somewhere, playing his guitar and jumping up and down to the beat of the song he was playing. I knew that even if we didn’t see each other, it meant a lot to him that I was here tonight.

It was his first real show, opening up for a quite famous band called For Today. Lolz Round In Circles, the name of Sam’s band, had performed a lot in the last year, but it had been a huge maybe great would fit better? surprise when they were invited to play with one of their favorite band. You aren't talking about the name, that had performed, but the band itself.

A flash of light illuminated once again the mysterious eyes, looking in my direction. They caused me to turn around abruptly, pushing past two guys that were moshing. They smiled at me They looked me over, making sure I wasn’t hurt. I don't get how they could smile to make sure she was okay. They would have to actually do something to indicate this, by looking her over, doing thumbs up with a concern expression, or something like that... just a suggestion :)

“I’m fine,” I mumbled, but the tall blond guy still looked at me, comma startled. He put his ear close to my mouth, shaking his head to show he hadn’t heard.

“I’m okay, thanks,” I screamed this time, and another smile stretched the guy’s lips. His thumb lifted into the air and he walked away, leaving me.

I looked back to a bunch of guys, comma dancing and punching the air around themselves, some were screaming at the top of their lungs.

This was exactly why I loved concert so much. The energy level was at its highest, and nobody was really judging.

What are you waiting for?
A voice called out to me. I smiled, taking a few steps into the mosh pit and throwing my arms around. It didn’t take long before my body was tired, my heart beating fast and my lungs burning to get more air. But deep screams, low guitar riffs and repetitive drums were all you needed to get a thousand, comma over excited teens to let loose, including me.

People were pushing back, forming a larger open space in the middle of the crowd. It didn’t take long before that whole filled up with people, pushing each other hard. I was pushed into it, not having a second to resist, comma before someone else rammed into me. The little air I still had left my lungs as my mouth opened in a silent scream. Then, I was on the floor but hands caught me, trying to help me up. When they finally succeeded, I stumbled to face me werethose eyes again. They were piercing my soul, probably seeing right through me. My hands went up to cover my chest, like I was naked and I was trying to cover myself. I felt my cheeks growing hot, and I knew they were a deep shade of crimson. Thank God for the poor lighting, comma, I thought.

And The eyes that were still looking right in mine, they were leaving me hot all over. I felt nervous, even though I didn’t have any reason to be. My thoughts were jumbled... A puzzle I couldn’t even begin to decipher.

While I was still obsessing and trying to calm myself down, we still stood there, immobile and oblivious to the untamed crowd surrounding us. The light was reflecting off of the blue irides and my eyes went down a little to gaze at the full lips that were extending to a warm smile. An intimate smile, my mind corrected.

Are you okay? He seemed to say. His lips weren’t moving, but his eyes spoke in a way no lips, no matter how beautiful, could have done. I nodded, still too stunned to say anything in answer. He wouldn’t even have heard even hear me if I did.

His eyes drifted to the back of the room, where an exit was possibly nestled there. Do you want to go outside? His eyes seemed to ask. I did, it was incredibly hot in here, and I felt like I was on the verge of passing out. He seemed to understand too, like he too could read me just like an open book. Like my thoughts were all disposed before him. He took my hand and pushed his way into the crowd. It didn’t take long before we were out through the main door, taking deep breaths of fresh air. Air that was rare back in that stuffed venue.

He spoke then, his voice taking me by surprise. It was pretty low and rough, not what I had expected from a guy like him. Legs clad in a pair of dark skinny jeans, and an August Burns Red shirt tightly covering his chest, he looked like a pretty big guy.

“It’s pretty crazy out there. I wasn’t sure you were going to get out of there alive,” he said, laughing at his joke. I smiled, I wasn’t sure I had the energy to laugh.

“My name’s Trevor by the way,” he said, looking at me expectantly. Rawr Trevorrrrrrr

“I’m Tess.” I extended my hand out of habit. He took it in his, shaking it once before letting it go. My hand bounced against my side, and I could still feel the pressure of his palm against mine, a tingling making its way up my arm.

I looked around, feeling like I should say something to make this less awkward, comma but I didn’t know what to say. It turned out I didn’t have to say anything because there was people flooding out of the door, probably taking some air before going back in there for one final band. Sam had finished his gig.

I had a sinking feeling in my gut, a name clearly disposed before my eyes. I hadn’t even thought of Sam since Trevor had came over to me. I couldn’t help but feel guilty; I was standing outside with another guy that wasn't my boyfriend. And that this guy, had such an effect on me.

“I’ve got to go see my boyfriend; he’s probably waiting for me backstage...” I left my sentence unfinished, pointing behind me at the side door, where Sam probably was. The Move. You know it

“He’s in Round In Circles? Well, let me at least bring you back to him,” he said, his face warmed up by another one of his smiles. I nodded, feeling too much like a bitch to say no, but still wanting his company.

“The door’s probably locked,” I said, feeling stupid.

“Come, I know another way.” He pushed me along the mass of people, shoving when it was necessary. We got back inside, and then he turned to the left, nodding to a guy standing close to the door. It seemed like a storage room, so many boxes of CD’s and shirts covering the floor. But then he directed me to another door, one that led to the room just beside the stage. The one I had been with Sam just before the show had begun.

When he saw me, he smiled and spread his arms so I could fit right in, giving me a tight hug.

“You were awesome.” He didn’t answer. Instead, he looked over my head, to Trevor, who was still standing behind me.

“Hey man, it’s been a long time,” his voice surprised me. He sounded like he knew Trevor.

“I know. She’s right, you guys were pretty good, comma” Trevor smiled again, eyes flashing just for a second toward me and then coming back to settle on Sam’s face. It made me y body shiver, and I knew it shouldn’t have. It felt wrong to stand next to Sam, comma wrong to look him in the eyes and smile.

“You guys know each other?” I asked, looking from one to the other. Trevor winked at me, smiling once again. I was getting angry with him. Why did he have to smile so much?

“Yeah, we went to school together for a bit,” Sam said, taking me by the waist. I had the impulse to push him away, comma but I got myself together before I could even move my hand. Trevor seemed to see the conflict inside of me, his blue eyes pouring into me.

I didn’t even know him and he still made me sway. Sam didn’t even had that effect on me, and he was my boyfriend for God’s sake. My heart was so confused, pounding to another gaze, another voice, other hands then my own boyfriend's.

Alright, this was pretty good :) Nice story, it's cute, but it feels like there should be an ending... Is it possible you had a different idea for this to go? Other then that, the description is pretty good. Overall, it's a fun read :) I really enjoyed it!
Keep on writing!

-Truth-
.- <3 -.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun May 01, 2011 2:20 pm
Shearwater says...

Hey, there! I'll be reviewing this for you today!

Okay, so first of all, I did like the story. It was interesting and I felt pulled into it.
You opener however, I felt like it was a bit weird. I don't know how to explain it, I think it was alright but it need just a little bit more of push to send it over the edge. I mean, maybe you could given it a little more dazzle to bring the readers in.

Speaking of the opener, I thought it was a bit confusing because I wasn't sure who she was talking about but I figured it out. xD Now, the story was a bit slow paced but this happened. What you wrote about was a little cliche but love itself is cliche so I can't really say anything there. I know I hate when people say that my works are cliche because I mean, what isn't? Almost everything concerning romance has already been done, right? LOL Unless you add some fantasy to it or something. Then it's not so much cliche. Okay, I'm getting tired of that word so I'll move on.

Your grammar and punctuation were pretty fine and your descriptions were good. I didn't feel like some parts were more telly or showy and you were right on the line with thing. However the pace was what bothered me a bit. I felt like it was too slow at some part so I skipped a little. But take this with a grain of salt because I don't know if it's just the reviewing day excitement that makes me think I need to speed through everything. xD

Alright, as for her character. I think it's odd that she's so shy and yet she goes to this concert and moshpit and stuff. That's just me though. I guess she's just smitten.

Overall, this was good and I enjoyed reading it.
Keep writing and if you have any questions, let me know!

-Pink
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sun May 01, 2011 5:08 pm
LadySpark says...

Hey other,
the one problem I have with this is that you tell not show... You seem to have not gotten the Show and Tell concept down yet... This is one thing I can not stress enough: SHOW!SHOW!

If you need any help, let me know...

:D

other than that, love it! Made me want to read more!
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Thu May 05, 2011 2:27 pm
xDudettex says...

Hey Otherone!

I only just spotted this today. If I'd have noticed it before then I would have gotten to it a lot sooner.

So. I liked this. It was interesting that she was so captured by the eyes watching her and she couldn't understand why. I think you got the internal conflict across okay, but I'd have liked to have seen a little more. Surely she'd be angry at herself for letting her mind wander to Trevor when she already has Sam. I want to see more of her thoughts. Show us how confused she is. Show us that she wants to think about Sam and she feels bad for wanting to spend time with Trevor.

I think you did an excellent job on describing the setting. I could really imagine myself there at the gig with them. The stuffy room, the loud music and the people jostling for the best view of the stage :) So well done on that.

I did notice a few mistakes.

favorite band

'band' should be 'bands'

A flash of light illuminated once again the mysterious eyes

This sounds a little awkward. Try - 'Once again, a flash of light illuminated the mysterious eyes'

loved concert so much

'concert' should be 'concerts'

The eyes that were still looking right in mine, they were leaving me hot all over.

I think this would better as - 'The eyes that were still looking right into mine were leaving me feeling hot all over.'

were extending to a warm smile.

'extending' doesn't quite sound right. Maybe try 'stretching'

all disposed before him

'disposed' would be better as 'exposed'

pretty crazy out there

As they are outside and he's describing the inside, 'out' would be better as 'in'

there was people

'was' would be better as 'were'

a name clearly disposed before

'disposed' sounds wrong here too. Maybe use 'appeared' ?

When he saw me

At the moment, it's a little confusing as to who 'he' is. I'd clear this up by writing 'Sam' instead.

long time,” his voice

The comma should be a full stop.

pretty good,” Trevor

Same here.

This felt as though it didn't really have an ending. I don't know if that was your intention or not, but I definitely think you either need to make a clear ending or write a part two. If you do write a part two, scribble on my wall and I'll review it for you.

I enjoyed reading this and, with a few small changes, it could really be great :)

I hope this helps!

xDudettex
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

Reviews: 4
Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:59 pm
Scarlet15 says...

I liked the whole mysterious aspect of this piece. I really liked it! :D

First you broke my moustache, now you break my heart.
— MaybeAndrew