z

Young Writers Society

Love Lasts

Random avatar

Reviews: 22
Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
HessicaJolt says...

"Are you awake?" When I heard her voice, my eyes fluttered open. I blinked twice before trying to sit up. The first thing I felt was a sharp pain in my side, and I fell back onto the cold, sterilized pillows. Breathing in I automatically realized where I was. I also realized what happened.

"Autumn? Are you okay? I'm so sorry." I said, feeling my eyes water up. Tears rolled gently down my cheeks, as I looked at her. She looked unscratched, undamaged. As a matter of fact she looked completely untouched, and as if she were glowing. Although the semi-truck slammed into her side of the red convertible that I called my own.

She was wearing the same white shorts and dark top that she wore to the party. Her hair was still barely touching her uncovered shoulders, and her pale arms were crossed in front of her thin frame. She was just as beautiful as when I first saw her. Looking at her smile at me made me feel so much better, and almost covered all of the physical pain that traveled along my body.

Tears rolled down her cheeks, and I quickly lifted my arms to comfort her, but the pain was unbearable. I put my arms back down on the sheets and winced.

"Don't hurt yourself," She said, walking over to my side and laying a hand on my arm. "I'm so glad your okay, I thought you were never going to wake up." She said, her voice cracking at the end and her face wincing. She was holding herself back from crying and I could tell by the way she gently bit down on the inside of her lip. She leaned over quickly and hugged me, I once again picked up my arms, and this time successfully wrapped them around her waist. I closed my eyes and breathed in. The familiar smell of strawberry shampoo filled my nostrils putting a smile once again on my face.

I opened my eyes again and looked around the room. Green and white stripes covered the walls, a long with floral pictures. A window along the back wall showed a blue sky, and a massive tree. There were light green chairs with light wooden arm rests in the corners of the room. An I.V. was shoved into the inside of my arm, plunging a white liquid and a red liquid in my arm.

While looking around I tried to remember what had happened that night. The night before I was in the hospital.

We left my house, I know that for sure. Her flip flops clapped across the pavement as she clumsily ran to my car. I chuckled as she stumbled in, and then walked to my side. I wiped my hands on my jeans before turning the car on, grabbing her hand, and backing the car into the street. With her loose hand, she turned on the radio and then stared off into the distance with that beautiful smile on her face.

The bass in my car was loud, vibrating the backs of our seats as we drove down highways, and back streets. We sang out popular lyrics as we made our way to the Lake. It was our favorite place to go on Saturday nights, mostly because of the late night cuddling as we sipped Coronas and staring out at the moons reflection against the water.

Maybe sipping too many Coronas is what I did. On the drive home feeling a bit buzzed and dizzy, I should have known better. Autumn giggled and told me everything was going to be fine, and that she needed to get home before her parents worried. So I kissed her on the cheek and drove. We blared music as we raced down the highway. Autumn threw her hands in the air and laughed. I stared at her and smiled, which led to me not paying attention to the red light in front of me.

It was the first one that I had seen in a while after driving on a straight highway for thirty minutes to an hour. The thing I remembered most was Autumn's smile dropping as she looked over to her right and then back at me, squeezing my hand as the truck slammed into her side.

I let go of her hand and protected myself. I let go of her damn hand, I took care of my God damned self. Another scene popped into my head, and then I remembered looking over at her after we had flew a ways away from the truck. I looked at my arm, covered in blood. I tried to move it, I tried to touch her. I saw her face, covered in the red liquid I despised so much at that moment. Her face was even paler that normal, and her body was limp. I tried to scream her name, but my throat cracked and squeaked. I tried to scream for help, but my voice was unheard.

With that my eyelids fell, and blackness was the only world I knew, until now of course.

She had to be dead. There was no way that she could be alive. Yet she was.

The Curiosity filled my mind and finally, I asked.

"How...How did you survive? There was no possible way that you could have....survived that. You were limp...you were gone. You weren't alive....You couldn't have been, there was a piece of metal jutting out of your neck.... how?" Autumn stood up straight, and her face was frowning. Tears ran down her face in rivers, and she touched my face.

"How?! Answer my question god damn it Autumn? Please tell me I'm not dreaming, please tell me this is real, that your alive!" I yelled out, squeezing her hand with my own, and ignoring every ounce of pain that shot through my body.

The door opened wide and my mother and the doctor ran in. Her face was streaked with tears and the doctors face was filled with shock.

"My baby!" My mother screamed out running towards me and giving me a hug. I looked over at Autumn only to realize she was gone.

"Where did Autumn go? Where did she go, mom?" I said my eyes watering up.

My mom squeezed my hand.
Hess<3

138 Reviews

Reviews: 138
Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:47 am
MadameLuxestrange says...

Wow! I was going to say something about how it would be impossible for Autumn to have made it through being on the T-boned side of a car that got hit by a semi-truck, but then I read the ending. That was really well done. I was completely shocked when I read that. You've got a great talent going there for you on that :) In the story there were some grammatical errors that are easy fixes- there are a couple of areas where you switched from past tense to present tense and there were some sentences that just needed tweaking with their structures. Other than that, everything made great sense and the story was an emotional one. You've got great potential!
Luxy :D
...or dear Bellatrix, who likes to play with her food before she eats it?
Fear makes the wolf seem bigger.
I got attacked by a swan.

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:56 pm
captain.classy says...

Hi there!

This is really good. I like it a lot, and I'm sorry more people haven't read/reviewed it because they really should.

One of the only things I can find that's wrong with this is your grammar, but that's something that you learn over time, so there's nothing you can do about that. One of your biggest things is sentence structure (you have a lot of sentences that should be combined, but you made them into two sentences) and your punctuation within dialogue. Luckily for you, we have articles on YWS for problems like these! You can find them in the 'Knowledge Base' in community. ^^

topic46356.html - compound sentences
topic44898.html - punctuation within dialogue

Anyways, just one more thing:

there was a piece of metal jutting out of your neck.... how?"

I think in this horribly sad scene you're trying to get us to feel sympathetic, and get him to seem innocent and scared. This sentence just doesn't do that like the rest of them do. If you want to add this in, add it into the description of what she looks like. As is, it's more disturbing and makes me say "Why would he say that, he should be crying, not saying stuff like that!"

Overall this was great. I really like how in the beginning you made it seem as if she was alive, and then we find out in the end that she wasn't. Because as I was reading that I was like "What, she was closest to the car they collided with and wasn't injured at all?" but then you made me forget about it with other details. By the time you got around to explaining it I was like "oh yeah!" and that's how writing should be, I think. Don't use cliff-hangers all the time, but when you can use them like this, do it!

Keep writing,

Classy

165 Reviews

Reviews: 165
Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:17 am
Sassykat says...

Wow! I like this a lot. You know, this was the second hospitalized story I've read today, and this one was a lot more depressing. LOL I like it!

Breathing in I automatically realized where I was.

"automatically" doesn't seem like this right word here. Maybe something more like "suddenly" or "painfully"?

Although the semi-truck slammed

"Although" is not a great way to start a sentence. "Even though" is better. Or you could combine this with the previous sentence, which is better all around, but either way you'll want to change it to "even though".

and her face wincing.

??? Not sure what to do with this one.

a long with floral pictures

"A long" should be one word.

An I.V. was shoved into the inside of my arm, plunging a white liquid and a red liquid in my arm.

"In my arm" has been used redundantly in this case. Lose one, preferably the second. Also, I.V.s don't "plunge" liquid into one's arms, they drip. Slowly. My revision: "An I.V. was shoved into the inside of my arm, slowly dripping red and white fluids into the vein."

The Curiosity filled my mind and finally, I asked.

It would be "then", and unless Curiosity is a person or place then it shouldn't be capitalized.

Answer my question god damn it Autumn?

You capitalized God last time you used it. And this isn't a question, it's a demand.

and the doctors face was filled with shock.

Why?

This has amazing potential! I loved the feel of it. Keep writing!
Shakespearian tongue-twister:

To sit in solemn silence
In a dark, dank dock
In a pestilential prison
With a lifelong lock;
Awaiting the sensation
Of a short, sharp shock
Of a cheap, chippy chopper
On a big black block.

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:39 pm
Qoh16 says...

I read this earllier but wasn't able to put up a review. So here it is. I like it. It was very interesting. The ghost /out of body expirence was sort of confusing but you cleared that up at the end. The problem I had was there was some gaps in the story. I was wondering were the two characters in a relationship? what was their background? i needed some backstory. And i was a little disappointed that I couldn't picture the guy in my head. But other than that it was good. This is a very interesting piece and it has great potential. Keep up the good work. Keep writing!!! :D
~Life has a song for every moment in life. It is just the matter of finding the right one.~

I love how we all band together to break things...
— Kelpies