z

Young Writers Society

What Remains in my Memory

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:07 pm
Gratziella13 says...

His eyes; they were the only things that shone through all the crowds of smoking people. The taste of champagne in my mouth went sweeter than it should have been, my head felt empty in that moment I stared into those eyes. I could not even think of the colour they were, I felt I was in his mind for a moment, but I did not know what he was thinking.
His hair matched his delicate face, the face that many would say it was carved by angels. I thought his face was a soul on show. His expression was there, he was in his own world, but still bared a glistening smile. His eyes, I was trapped…

“I beg your pardon miss, would you care for a dance?” called a voice I thought I would only hear from a quiet rainfall.
I snapped back out of my thoughts, but then saw that his eyes; were staring back at me.
“Y-yes, of course” I replied as normally as I could, stuttering with confusion.
Me? A woman with golden locks down to my shoulders, and not the slightest bit interested in my mother’s organised evening of how we could arrange to invite the queen over to our grand house. I would rather listen to dolphins laughing than the fake laughs of her “friends” to everything the queen said that was not the least bit “amusing”. I hated the dresses I wore for every event I was forced to go to. I hated the white, cloggy powder that suffocated my rosy cheeks. But now, for the moments I would move step by step in heavy shoes, in hands with a man I barely knew other than his angelic eyes, I was glad to.
I stood up, took his hand and lightly dragged him onto the wooden floor of the hall. He gazed into my eyes and smiled, I smiled back, trying to stay away from his thoughts that I knew were trying to come to me. The violin music began, slow and quiet, just how I liked it. He walked closer to me, so I could feel his breath on my face; it was warm and smelt of white wine. I got goose bumps the moment we started moving, following his every move. My heart was beating loudly against my frame, I breathed deeply to calm myself down and stay within the peacefulness of the music. His eyes looked down me slowly, then back into my blue eyes. I realised his colour was not original. It seemed like a sea water colour at first, and then they became a deep mauve colour, with hints of brown. I breathed deeper into my lungs, trying to stay focused, and not get lost into what I saw before me.
Then the music finished.
“Thank you madam that was a lovely dance” he thanked, and brought my hand up to his mouth and kissed it.
“You’re very welcome” I answered, flustering.
“Would you like to have dinner sometime?” I heard as I turned around, thinking it was the last time I would see those eyes; I turned to face him and nodded.
“Yes, thank you”
“Fantastic, seven o’clock, tomorrow evening?” he questioned, looking happier.
“That would be great. Thank you” I replied and kissed him on the cheek. Now here is a trick mother taught me, when kissing a man you particularly like, kiss his cheek but slightly on the corner of his mouth, and that was what I did.
I turned and walked away as fast as I could to leave the hall, nearly about to explode with excitement. As I reached the double doors, I breathed out and yelled a happy scream.
“YES!” I screamed, gleaming and throwing my arms up in the air,
I turned around and saw my butler, George staring at me.
“I found something that belongs to me” I said, and he nodded.

“This steak here is top of the class I must say” he commented.
“What is your name, I never really quite caught it at the arrangement?” I asked, not touching any food on my plate apart from the vegetables, my stupid diet.
“That is because I never mentioned it” he smiled, gazing into my eyes again. My stomach felt like it was falling down the deepest hole in the world, possibly in the universe.
“Clive and your name is Emma” he answered my question.
“I’m guessing you spoke to my mother, she must have said many things about me” I blushed slightly and took a piece of chicken and buried it into my mouth.
“Only that you are a beautiful lady, and that I would be lucky to have you, I agree one hundred percent” those words remain in my head for ever.
I smiled and looked down at my plate, then into his eyes. Okay. I got up from my chair, walked over to him, held his face in my hands and kissed him.
“Our second kiss” he said after the moment I was in heaven.
“Second?” I asked.
“Yes, remember you kissed me the first time yesterday” he smiled, and remained locked into my eyes.
“Ah, yes” I replied and kissed him again.

“Cancer?” I repeated what Clive said with tears in my eyes.
“Yes, I have only a few months to live” Clive cried, I ran into his arms and cried into his shoulder, stroking his back slowly.
“You will not leave me, you will never leave me” I tried to say, stuttering behind my tears.

Clive was laying in the hospital bed, gazing up into my eyes, the only things that shone in the darkness of the room. I was sat next to him, tears rolling down my eyes. My hand was holding onto his, he was slipping away slowly.
“Emma, I will never leave you, I am right here” he said and lifted his weak hand up to my chest. His hair was gone; his face was tired but still delicate. His eyes were the only things that brought warmth to me.
“I know you won’t, my dear Clive” I whispered and leaned in for the last kiss. Then slowly he began to look drowsy and tired, my grip tightened on his hand. His eyelids closed over his eyes. I breathed out slowly and let the tears roll down my cheeks. His eyes, they were the only things that shone in the room, his eyes, they are the only thing that remains in my memory.

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:57 pm
BehindtheMask says...

Wow! *Depressed Now* Okay, first off I'm going to give you my spelling, grammar, etc. critiques.

Things I add will be in red . Things you should take out will be in blue.

His eyes; they were the only things that shone through all the crowds of smoking people. The taste of champagne in my mouth went sweeter than it should have been, my head felt empty in the moment that moment I stared into those eyes. I could not even think of the colour they were, I felt as if I was in his mind for a moment, but I did not know what he was thinking.

His hair matched his delicate face, the face that many would say it was carved by angels. I thought his face was a soul on show. His expression was there, he was in his own world, but still bared a glistening smile. His eyes, I was trapped…

“I beg your pardon miss, would you care for a dance?” called a voice I thought I would only hear from a quiet rainfall.

I snapped back out of my thoughts, but then saw that his eyes; were staring back at me.

“Y-yes, of course,” I replied as normally as I could, stuttering with confusion.

Me? A woman with golden locks down to my shoulders, and not the slightest bit interested in my mother’s organised evening of how we could arrange to invite the queen over to our grand house. I would rather listen to dolphins laughing than the fake laughs of her “friends” to everything the queen said that was not the least bit “amusing”. I hated the dresses I wore for every event I was forced to go to. I hated the white, cloggy powder that suffocated my rosy cheeks. But now, for the moments I would move step by step in heavy shoes, in hands with a man I barely knew other than his angelic eyes, I was glad to.

I stood up, took his hand and lightly dragged him onto the wooden floor of the hall. He gazed into my eyes and smiled, I smiled back, trying to stay away from his thoughts that I knew were trying to come to me. The violin music began, slow and quiet, just how I liked it. He walked closer to me, so I could feel his breath on my face; it was warm and smelt of white wine. I got goose bumps the moment we started moving, following his every move. My heart was beating loudly against my frame, I breathed deeply to calm myself down and stay within the peacefulness of the music. His eyes looked down me slowly, then back into my blue eyes. I realised his colour was not original. It seemed like a sea water colour at first, and then they became a deep mauve colour, with hints of brown. I breathed deeper into my lungs, trying to stay focused, and not get lost into what I saw before me.

Then the music finished.

“Thank you madam that was a lovely dance,” he thanked, and brought my hand up to his mouth and kissed it.

“You’re very welcome,” I answered, flustering.

“Would you like to have dinner sometime?” I heard as I turned around, thinking it was the last time I would see those eyes; I turned to face him and nodded.

“Yes, thank you.

“That would be great. Thank you.” I replied and kissed him on the cheek. Now here is a trick mother taught me, when kissing a man you particularly like, kiss his cheek but slightly on the corner of his mouth, and that was what I did.

I turned and walked away as fast as I could to leave the hall, nearly about to explode with excitement. As I reached the double doors, I breathed out and yelled a happy scream.

Okay here you need to put some kind of hint that shows us you're changing settings, and people that you're talking to. Say something like, "The next day at the restaurant. . ." it took me a minute to understand you changed locations.

“This steak here is top of the class I must say,” he commented.

“What is your name,? I never really quite caught it at the arrangement?.” I asked, not touching any food on my plate apart from the vegetables, my stupid diet.

“That is because I never mentioned it.” he smiled, gazing into my eyes again. My stomach felt like it was falling down the deepest hole in the world, possibly in the universe.

“Clive, and your name is Emma.” he answered my question.

“I’m guessing you spoke to my mother, she must have said many things about me.” I blushed slightly and took a piece of chicken and buried it into my mouth.

“Only that you are a beautiful lady, and that I would be lucky to have you,. I agree one hundred percent.” those words remain in my head for ever. (Forever is one word)
I smiled and looked down at my plate, then into his eyes. Okay. I got up from my chair, walked over to him, held his face in my hands and kissed him.

“Our second kiss,” he said after the moment I was in heaven.

“Second?” I asked.

“Yes, remember you kissed me the first time yesterday.” he smiled, and remained locked into my eyes.

“Ah, yes,” I replied and kissed him again.

“Yes, I have only a few months to live.” Clive cried, I ran into his arms and cried into his shoulder, stroking his back slowly.

“You will not leave me, you will never leave me. . .” I tried to say, stuttering behind my tears.

Clive was laying in the hospital bed, gazing up into my eyes, the only things that shone in the darkness of the room. I was sat next to him, tears rolling down my eyes. My hand was holding onto his, he was slipping away slowly.

“Emma, I will never leave you, I am right here.” he said and lifted his weak hand up to my chest. His hair was gone; his face was tired but still delicate. His eyes were the only things that brought warmth to me.

“I know you won’t, my dear Clive.” I whispered and leaned in for theour last kiss. Then slowly he began to look drowsy and tired, my grip tightened on his hand. His eyelids closed over his eyes. I breathed out slowly and let the tears roll down my cheeks. His eyes, they were the only things that shone in the room, his eyes, they are the only thing that remains in my memory.

There you go. Phew. Okay. Well, first off, in a few places where I had a blue word then a red word I mean that I think you should replace the blue word with the red one. Anyway, you didn't have any spelling errors that I saw, so I applaud you! Also, when you're having dialogue in your stories, you always need to have some sort of punctuation before the end quotation mark. "Your dialogue should always look like this,". But only with a comma if your character is pausing before saying something else. If they have more to say "the quote should look like this when it is continued." If it's the end of what they're saying, the punctuation at the end should be either a period, exclamation point, or question mark based on how it is said, which I think you have covered.

Overall, I think this is a really nice story. You have incredibly beautiful imagery and you use your literary devices quite well. The story is a bit vague, but still very sweet, and depressing, which is good.

I'll look forward to your next work!

~BTM
"If you were half as funny as you thought you were, my boy,
you'd be twice as funny as you are."

- Dorothea, The Mortal Instruments

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:52 pm
Gratziella13 says...

Thank you, your review really helped out <3

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:54 pm
View Likes
Amberla93 says...

Hi,

I liked this alot, though it is very sad. I have nothing that I would change except what, BehindtheMask, has already pointed out. (It is very confusung when you change the scenery.) And, there is no "U" in the word "Color." But other then that, I did enjoy this very much. You can almost feel Emma's emotions. :)

God Bless,
Amber.
Life is short, so make the best of the time you have!

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:59 pm
borntoshop says...

@Amberla93 - There is a 'U' in colour. It depends on what part of the world you come from. I'm guessing you're American. Maybe? I don't know. But where I come from you also spell it with a 'U'.

Anyway, I like! Can't wait to read more from you. (:
:D

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:53 am
CountrywriteR says...

I liked this piece it was intriguing. Keep writing.:)

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:18 am
UnicornNerd says...

Wow. That was really depressing, yet inspiring in an odd sub-conscious way. It was compelling, yet made you feel like just sitting there at the same time. The only think I would change would be to show transition. I was really confused when you changed scenes on me. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that you have to use words as transitions. You can always use stars, like this:

He nodded.

"Isn't the food here great?" he asked.

See what I mean? Other than that, I thought you did a really good job.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:12 am
summerlovee says...

His eyes; they were the only things that shone through all the crowds of smoking people. The taste of champagne in my mouth went sweeter than it should have been, my head felt empty in that moment I stared into those eyes. I could not even think of the colour they were, I felt I was in his mind for a moment, but I did not know what he was thinking. :l I am a bit confused how does someone think they are in another persons head?

“Y-yes, of course” I replied as normally as I could, stuttering with confusion.

Me? A woman with golden locks down to my shoulders, and not the slightest bit interested in my mother’s organised evening of how we could arrange to invite the queen over to our grand house. I would rather listen to dolphins laughing than the fake laughs of her “friends” 'friends'to everything the queen said that was not the least bit “amusing”'amusing'. I hated the dresses I wore for every event I was forced to go to. I hated the white, cloggy powder that suffocated my rosy cheeks. But now, for the moments I would move step by step in heavy shoes, in hands with a man I barely knew other than his angelic eyes, I was glad to.

Then the music finished.

“Thank you madam that was a lovely dance” he thanked, and brought my hand up to his mouth and kissed it.

“You’re very welcome” I answered, flustering.

“Yes, thank you”

“That would be great. Thank you” I replied and kissed him on the cheek. Now here is a trick mother taught me, when kissing a man you particularly like, kiss his cheek but slightly on the corner of his mouth, and that was what I did.

“This steak here is top of the class I must say” he commented.

“What is your name, I never really quite caught it at the arrangement?” I asked, not touching any food on my plate apart from the vegetables, my stupid diet.

“That is because I never mentioned it” he smiled, gazing into my eyes again. My stomach felt like it was falling down the deepest hole in the world, possibly in the universe.

“Clive and your name is Emma” he answered my question.

“I’m guessing you spoke to my mother, she must have said many things about me” I blushed slightly and took a piece of chicken and buried it into my mouth.

“Only that you are a beautiful lady, and that I would be lucky to have you, I agree one hundred percent” those words remain in my head for ever.

“Our second kiss” he said after the moment I was in heaven. very clique :D

“Second?” I asked.

“Yes, remember you kissed me the first time yesterday” he smiled, and remained locked into my eyes.

“Ah, yes” I replied and kissed him again.

“Yes, I have only a few months to live” Clive cried, I ran into his arms and cried into his shoulder, stroking his back slowly.

“You will not leave me, you will never leave me” I tried to say, stuttering behind my tears.

“Emma, I will never leave you, I am right here” he said and lifted his weak hand up to my chest. His hair was gone; his face was tired but still delicate. His eyes were the only things that brought warmth to me.

“I know you won’t, my dear Clive” I whispered and leaned in for the last kiss. Then slowly he began to look drowsy and tired, my grip tightened on his hand. His eyelids closed over his eyes. I breathed out slowly and let the tears roll down my cheeks. His eyes, they were the only things that shone in the room, his eyes, they are the only thing that remains in my memory.

:l I hate sad endingds :( They make me think and be sad, I love happy endings xD. This was
so beautiful that it made me think I was Emma for a second (:
I loved it! ;D

<3
Linger on, your pale blue eyes

It's Monday and you folks are beginning to wonder about the show, aren't you
— David Letterman