z

Young Writers Society

He

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:33 am
Mrs Elizabeth Darcy says...

He--

You know him, I’m sure you do, or someone a lot like him. He’s that guy whose voice always makes you look up in case he’s talking to you. He’s that guy who you can’t stop staring at even when you know he’s looking straight at you. He’s that guy whose every move you tilt to figure out how he feels about you. He’s that guy who never notices you.

Anyway, he was around that day. Not near me, but in my head. I was thinking about him, and wishing I could see him again. I hadn’t seen him in months. I wondered what he was doing. He turned down my friend request. What’s with that? So I was thinking about him, and suddenly I looked up and saw someone else standing there.

I’m sure you know someone else, too. He’s sort of quiet and nice and not really terribly attractive or fascinating, but when you talk to him he turns out to know a lot more than you do, and you always like to give him a hug, but you never really seriously think about him because He is always at the back of your mind.

Now someone else was in front of me, and he gave me a hug and a smile, and we talked for a while, and then when I was going to leave, I saw him looking at me.

I guess you know the rest of the story. After a few months someone else becomes him. The He of 'back then' has a place in your memory, but soon someone else has your whole heart, and then he’s him, only he’s better than him, because he knows you and wants you.

Maybe he’s the only kind of he there should ever be. What do you think?
Last edited by Mrs Elizabeth Darcy on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a large fortune must be in want of a wife.
Pride and Prejudice, Chapter 1

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:22 am
View Likes
322sivart says...

Hey Elizabeth,
I really, really liked this. You write this beautifully, sincerely, and personally, and that's what made this fun to read (gripping too, I would say). You have a great voice when you write this type of fiction, and I'm usually not into that deep feelings of a teenager genere. In fact, I usually think it's total crap. But not this! xD. I really have no constructive criticizm for you, just keep up the great work.
-Alex
Need reviews?
I'd be happy to give them.
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic76104.html

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:42 am
SmylinG says...

Wonderful job with this, really. It was so simple and sweet. So simple that it made a whole lot of sense, but still wasn't in the least bit boring. I think this is because everyone can read this and relate it to an experience or experiences of their own. The you start reminiscing the past and all that good stuff. So I like what you did here in that sense. :) I feel you could have possibly done a little more with this, but it's still alright the way it is now, too. And I like the whole "he"/"someone else" concept. I know both ;P
Fantastic work! Keep it all up.
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:48 am
XxMattxX says...

He--

You know him, I’m sure you do, or someone a lot like him. He’s that guy whose voice always makes you look up in case he’s talking to you. He’s that guy who you can’t stop staring at even when you know he’s looking straight at you. He’s that guy whose every move you tilt to figure out how he feels about you. He’s that guy who never notices you.
( nice transition of thought)
Any way, he was around that day. Not near me, but in my head. I was thinking about him, and wishing I could see him again. I hadn’t seen him in months. I wondered what he was doing. He turned down my friend request. What’s with that? So I was thinking about him, and suddenly I looked up and saw someone else standing there.
( again, ditto)
I’m sure you know someone else, too. He’s sort of quiet and nice and not really terribly attractive or fascinating, but when you talk to him he turns out to know a lot more than you do, and (you'd?) like to give him a hug, but you never really seriously think about him because He is always at the back of your mind.

Now someone else was in front of me, and he gave me a hug and a smile, and we talked for a while, and then when I was going to leave, I saw him looking at me.

I guess you know the rest of the story. After a few months someone else becomes him. The He of "back then" has a place in your memory, but soon someone else has your whole heart, and then he’s him, only he’s better than him, because he knows you and wants you.

Maybe he’s the only kind of he there should ever be. What do you think?

I love the piece. Grammatically-it's almost flawless.

The only thing i could suggest is implementing italics or bold(ing) in order to add emotion.
Other than that.
Great!
Keep writing!
--------------
-Jojo
Solvalery/GeeLyria Fans
Link

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:49 am
harshita3chaarag says...

Hey there... This is really sweet story... Something people end up loving :)

You know him, I’m sure you do, or someone a lot like him. He’s that guy whose voice always makes you look up in case he’s talking to you. He’s that guy who you can’t stop staring at even when you know he’s looking straight at you. He’s that guy whose every move you tilt to figure out how he feels about you. He’s that guy who never notices you

I could totally relate to this part... Because just as you said everyone knows [*]Him[*]. And the ending line-He’s that guy who never notices youis also typically what happens everywhere and what everyone can relate too...

I’m sure you know someone else, too. He’s sort of quiet and nice and not really terribly attractive or fascinating, but when you talk to him he turns out to know a lot more than you do, and you always like to give him a hug, but you never really seriously think about him because He is always at the back of your mind.

This is also something I liked pretty much even though it is damn obvious....

Otherwise I really loved you story... Its just my kinda thing :)
Keep writing...
Harshita...
The answers lie within.. You only need to look.. :)

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:03 am
Amberla93 says...

I loved this, it's so very... real. Even though it's meant as fiction, there is still a reality check in there too. Great job, really. It's very simple, but expresses so much. I liked it alot.
Life is short, so make the best of the time you have!

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:19 pm
theotherone says...

Hello there. :)

Any way, he was around that day.

Did you mean Anyway?

I liked this short story. It was short and really sweet. I don't think it needs anymore substance, since it's the simpleness that makes all the story so good. The readers can relate to it directly, and even add names to the first he and the second he. ;) It makes the story personalized to the readers, and I find it really cool. :)

Keep writing!

-Other One
Behind every mask, lies a man that can't live in his own skin. - Woe is Me <3
Need a reviewer? I don't bite, I promise. :) ---> viewtopic.php?f=188&t=76466

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:13 pm
Busheldood says...

Wow. I think it's a really beautiful story, the way the shortness compliments the personal feelings. It also get's you thinking of your own special ending and 'what would you do if it was you'. :)

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:32 pm
AllieMeadows says...

I absolutely love this short piece. I love how you got the emotion just right so that the reader can relate. I have nothing bad to say about it either. I can relate to this story 100% and I love it that I can. Keep up the good work aand keep writing. You really seem like you know what you are doing.
Two can keep a secret if one of them is dead :o <3

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:37 pm
bluepen19 says...

This was great. It was beautifully written an real. Any teenage girl could easily relate to this, cause I sure did.
Keep writing! (:

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:45 pm
vtgirl13 says...

Great work! I love this! The story was so real. It's too true. Thanks for this great piece. Keep on writing!

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:09 pm
xDudettex says...

Hey there Mrs Darcy!

I really liked this. I agree with the other reviewers who have said it's relatable and that's what makes it so good. You make it so that the reader can imagine their own 'hes' and 'hims'

You don't over-work any of it either. You write it simply and with such truth that it's really kind of scary how almost everyone finds themselves in this situation :)

Good job on this!

xDudettex
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:26 pm
misstoria says...

I loved this! The emotion and inner confusion really came out at the beginning, and it really worked. I also liked that both of the male characters in this piece were namelss, it really makes it easy to relate to. I think this piece is really good, keep up the good work.
You are more than the choices that you've made, you are more than the sum of your past mistakes. You are more than the problems you create, You'v been remade.

http://writemeaway.blogspot.com/

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:01 am
LadyFreeWill says...

Yes, I think we all know that guy. Him, that is.
Well written, Elizabeth! You wrote this story with a lot of sincerety!
Formerly TheScratchMan.

Random avatar

Reviews: 27
Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:10 pm
View Likes
AnneMarie96 says...

Wow, this was amazing. You'd think all the he's and him's would get confussing but I actually knew what you meant the whole time. Just a few gramatical errors but other than that, it was breath taking. The way you used your words and manipulated the situation was great. Everything spoke to me. I could actually think back to when this exact thing happened to me. I have to say well done, I loved this and I think you are extremly talented. I want to read more of your stuff. (:

Love, AnneMarie(:
No one is perfect, that's why pencils have erasiers.<33

I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
— Walt Disney