z

Young Writers Society

Peer Pressure

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:22 am
Addawen19 says...

Hey Guys, been a while since I've posted anything on here, but you know life, school all that jazz it really takes a toll on your writing, finally getting a hold of it all I've decided to post my short romantic story, please criticize but as always be nice, thanks Addawen. P.S it's in two parts because it's kinda long so here's part one.

I couldn't hear myself think over the pounding of the bar's loud obnoxious oldies, men and women both droning on and on about their drugs and their booze, sounds just like today, actually pretty much like right now. I tried to block out my friends and the other bar goers, it was too difficult a task, so I gave up and gave in.

“One drink,” my friend Samantha giggles, pushing the Tequila shot next to my Diet Coke. “It won't hurt, and one drink certainly won't put you over the limit.” she tells me, her words slurring just a smidge, Samantha having already an amaretto sour and two shots of Jack.

I eye the cool amber liquid. 'Drink me.' it calls, making me feel like Alice in Wonderland. I push the small shot glass back at Sam, content with my soda. Sam laughs taking the shot and throwing one back as if she's an old pro.

“I can't,” I sigh, sipping a watered down Coke, my fingers tapping in rhythm to Rush or one of those other long-haired-high-pitched-screaming-bands from the seventies.

Sam called for another shot; this one I think was a little stronger. “Of course you can, you look a little down in the dumps anyways, it'll help.” again she pushed the shallow glass my way, shoving my Diet Coke off to the side.

Peer pressure, oh how I love peer pressure.

Do I give in? Do I fall in behind everyone else; drown my earthly sorrows with the hard stuff?

I pick the shot glass up, someone jostles me from behind and the golden drink spills over my thumb and forefinger.

“Shit,” I murmur, grabbing a napkin I wipe away the mess. Out of the corner of my eye I spot something or someone really: my crush.

“Double shit.” I curse, watching him move fluidly through the crowd of people.

Sam must have followed my gaze, she whistled with appreciation, I couldn't help but nod in agreement, Austin was a bombshell; close cropped dark hair, big brown eyes with super long eyelashes for a guy, he stood head and shoulders over most other guys in the bar, broad shoulders, small waist, you know swimmer's body, oh yeah he was gorgeous- and he's heading this way.

I turned quickly back around letting out a little squeak I hunched over my soda, hoping against all hope that he didn't see me. But of course Samantha in her drunken state waved her hand like an idiot, drawing Austin to us; boy did I want to ring her little neck.

“What'd you do that for?” I gasped; flicking her arm I shot her a scathing look. Sam just smiled; I really needed to get her home soon, before she makes a scene.

“Quick, here he comes, down it in one gulp you'll feel so much better.” she tells me watching my crush getting closer and closer. “Hurry, he's coming. Do you want to feel like an idiot around Austin, or like a smooth, confident, sexy, vixen?”

“Uhh . . . what?” I asked, somehow the shot coming closer to my parched lips. “That didn't make any sense at all Sam.”

“Just drink it!” she demanded letting out a small drunken giggle.

Peer pressure, ladies and gentlemen the number one drug in teenage America.

“I hate you, you know.” I grumbled as I through back the shot. The tempting amber liquid burned all the way down, man was I stupid.

I coughed and choked, reaching for my soda, all the while Sam was laughing like a hyena, bitch.

A large hand smacked me on the back, causing me to choke even more, didn’t the moron know that patting someone on the back actually makes whatever the person is choking on lodge deeper in their throat, real smart man.

Wiping away the tequila that had dribbled down my chin, I spun around ready to give whoever was thumping me on the back a good verbal thrashing.

I come face to face with my best friend and no, it wasn’t Sam beating on my back like a maniac, it was Jake, my guy best friend since diapers. I frantically looked around the bar, where was he? Austin was nowhere to be found, had Jake scared him off? Or did he hear me choking on my one little tiny shot, so embarrassing.

“Jake,” I cried a little too frantically. “Move yourself.” I added shoving him out of the way.

There he is; I had spotted him over by the bar, Austin Ledger, hottest guy since sliced bread. Too bad I am too chicken to even think about sparking up a conversation with him, darn my luck and insecurities.

“Lord Kate, what’s the big idea?” Jake laughs, planting himself in between Sam and I. “Looking for someone special?” he jokes scanning the bar, I pinch his arm little good it did. “Really?” he asks skeptically.

I shrug my shoulders, keeping an eye on Austin, he was laughing and joking with one of his hockey buddies, a Puck Bunny, aka slut, had wrapped her pretty little arms around him, laughing at all the right moments. Stupid blonde bimbo.

Rolling his deep hazel green eyes Jake turns to Sam, who is playing with the little pink umbrella that came with her latest drink, that girl is a damn fish.

“Well Sam, is she drunk off her rocker yet?” he asked indicating me with his thumb.

Sam shook her short red hair, making it stick out more than usual. “Nope, took one shot and nearly drowned, until you came and saved her Jakey Dearest.” She giggles again, that sweet little girl giggle.

Jake leaned forward resting his forearms on the polished table with Bud Light logos. “How much has she had?” he asked me, brushing wavy blonde hair out of his eyes.

“Too much, she really needs coffee.” I tell him, watching Austin flirt with the Puck Bunny, wishing she would throw up on him or something.

“Who are you looking for?” Jake asks, following my line of direction, he snorts. “Really Kate? Austin Ledger? He’s a total asshole.”

I shoot him an appalled look. “He is not.” I sounded a little whiney.

Jake rolls his eyes again, playing with the salt shaker. “Is so.”

“Is not.” I challenge, stealing another glance at the Captain of the Wildcat’s, the senior hockey team at University of New Hampshire. Go Wildcat’s, never thought I would ever say that.

“Is so.”

“Not.”

“So.”

“Not!”

“Yes!” he and everyone else in the bar randomly cheers, arms shooting for the ceiling.

“What is wrong with you?” I ask watching the bartender pour everyone a shot, as grown men whoop and scream, fisting pumping each other, dorks.

Jake takes a shot from a passing waitress. “Are you serious? The Detroit Red Wings just scored.”

I look over my shoulder, sure enough what the entire hullabaloo was about was the St. Louis Blues against the Detroit Red Wings, both teams were now tied in the last period.

“Oh whatever, it’s Blues all the way.” I tell him, tracing the water ring on the table, left over from my watered down Coke.

Jake set down the shot glass, his hazel eyes sparkling. “Interesting, wanna bet?” he smiles.

I cast a glance over at Austin, he and a few other bar patrons are cheering some loser frat boy on, telling him to ‘chug’.

“Common you can watch pretty boy some other time, we’ll make it interesting.” He promised, his eyes holding that twinkling laughter and something else, must be that half a shot I managed to get down making me see things.

There it was again; peer pressure, just can’t seem to get away from it tonight.

I sighed; flashing him a cat ate the canary smile. “So what are the rules?”

He squeezes my hand. “That’s my girl, now if your team the St. Louis Blues win, even though there isn’t a chance in hell because the Blues haven’t been anything since Hull and Gretzky left them a long time ago, I promise–“ he thought for a moment or two, probably thinking of something really good.

He flashed me a rueful smile. “I promise to put in a good word for you with asshole over there.” He flicks his thumb in Austin’s direction, now there were three Puck Bunnies surrounding him; damn can’t a girl catch a break?

A small groan escapes as I watch the scene before me, stupid blonde bimbo’s, Jake moves my hand holding it, I look to where my hand had been and see that I had been picking at an imperfection on the table and had chipped my name in my aggravation, oops.

“Thanks,” I mutter, turning my gaze from Austin, I see that Jake is still holding my hand, he has very nice hands and we fit so nicely together–wait, what am I thinking? This is Jake Everhart; I’ve known him since I was in diapers, we played in the sandbox together we were the original Rugrats, we don’t hold hands, we’re just friends.

Slowly, without hurting his manly feelings or trying to be to conspicuous I slid my hand out from underneath his, flashing him a friendly smile.

Something flashes in those deep hazel eyes, damn he knows, smartass.

Clearing my throat I check the score on the large plasma screen TV, still tied. Both teams looking like they could go on for hours though, Goalies were keyed up ready for the puck, daring it to pass by them.

“If your team wins, which they don’t have a shot in hell of doing because there’re from Michigan,” he laughs shrugging out of his fitted leather jacket. I watched him place the jacket over the chair he’s in, his olive green t-shirt fitting perfectly to his broad chest and sinewy arms–stop it! This is Jake we’re talking about here, you know it took him until he was seven years old to quit wetting the bed, plus he had braces and terrible pizza face acne. Don’t go there.

“Kate, you alright?” he asks a little worry flashing in his eyes.

I nod, that’s all I can do. Fighting my inner battles takes a lot of brain power, and nodding is simple; up down up down.

“So what do I get if I win?”

“Well what do you want? You get to pick, because you pretty much summed up what I wanted.” I gave him a nervous giggle.

Jake rolls his eyes, probably regretting what he offered me, a chance to talk to Austin Ledger, be still my heart, ha lord I need to get out more.

He sits back in deep thought, crossing his arms across his chest, showing off his nice looking biceps, nice? Really? Oy vey.

Jake’s muscles weren’t nice; they were fine as hell, why haven’t I ever noticed beforehand? I mean he’s really not that bad looking of a kid–guy we’re the same age. His wavy blonde hair looks like it’s been kissed by the sun, a little messy at times but that’s his personality. He has the face of a young Adonis, and I know your thinking really; Adonis? But hey it’s true, his nose is straight though he plays hockey with all the other dumb jocks, his lips are smooth yet firm, very kissable, strong chin and jaw, he’s just a Greek God.

Then there’s his fun loving nature, he’s the type of guy you could take anywhere and everything would be right as rain.

There aren’t any bad times with Jake, he’s no Debbie downer. The type of guy you can bring home to mamma and daddy.

I remember this one time when we were juniors in high school, my then boyfriend of six months, Danny Tyree, had just broken up with me, three days before prom. I was heartbroken, to say the least. When Jake found out, he had a good talking to with Danny, one that reverted into a black eye. I went to prom with Jake that night, we had a blast. I will always remember what he said to me as he walked me to my door that night: “Not good enough.” And he meant Danny Tyree, but that’s all he would say, about any of my boyfriends.

Holy shit.

I jump a little in my chair, Jake pays no mind to this he’s watching the game. But I realize something, going over everything I just thought; damn.

I like Jake.
The heart wants, the body needs, and the mind suffers. - me

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:36 am
geekchic says...

I really like this. You described the characters and the scenes very well. I just saw a couple minor things though that I thought I should point out.
I couldn't hear myself think over the pounding of the bar's loud obnoxious oldies, men and women both droning on and on about their drugs and their booze, sounds just like today, actually pretty much like right now. I tried to block out my friends and the other bar goers, but it was too difficult a task, so I gave up and gave in.
“One drink,” my friend Samantha giggles, pushing the Tequila shot next to my Diet Coke. “It won't hurt, and one drink certainly won't put you over the limit.” she tells me, her words slurring just a smidge, Samantha having already already having an amaretto sour and two shots of Jack.
I eye the cool amber liquid. 'Drink me.' it calls, making me feel like Alice in Wonderland. I push the small shot glass back at Sam, content with my soda. Sam laughs taking the shot and throwing one back as if she'swas an old pro.
“I can't,” I sigh, sipping a watered down Coke, my fingers tapping in rhythm to Rush or one of those other long-haired-high-pitched-screaming-bands from the seventies.
Sam called for another shot; this one I think was a little stronger. “Of course you can, you look a little down in the dumps anyways, it'll help.” again she pushed the shallow glass my way, shoving my Diet Coke off to the side.
Do I give in? Do I fall in behind everyone else; drown my earthly sorrows with the hard stuff?
I pick the shot glass up, someone jostles me from behind and the golden drink spills over my thumb and forefinger.
“Shit,” I murmur, grabbing a napkin I wipe away the mess. Out of the corner of my eye I spot something or someone really: my crush.
Sam must have followed my gaze, she whistled with appreciation, I couldn't help but nod in agreement, Austin was a bombshell; close cropped dark hair, big brown eyes with super long eyelashes for a guy, he stood head and shoulders over most other guys in the bar, broad shoulders, small waist, you know swimmer's body, oh yeah he was gorgeous- and he's heading this way. I like this
I turned quickly back around letting out a little squeak I hunched over my soda, hoping against all hope that he didn't see me. But of course Samantha in her drunken state waved her hand like an idiot, drawing Austin to us; boy did I want to ring her little neck.
“What'd you do that for?” I gasped; flicking her arm ,I shot her a scathing look. Sam just smiled; I really needed to get her home soon, before she makes a scene.
“Quick, here he comes, down it in one gulp you'll feel so much better.” she tells me watching my crush getting closer and closer. “Hurry, he's coming. Do you want to feel like an idiot around Austin, or like a smooth, confident, sexy, vixen?”
“Uhh . . . what?” I asked, somehow the shot coming closer to my parched lips. “That didn't make any sense at all Sam.”
Peer pressure, ladies and gentlemen .theThe number one drug in teenage America.
“I hate you, you know.” I grumbled as I through threw? back the shot. The tempting amber liquid burned all the way down, man was I stupid.
I coughed and choked, reaching for my soda, all the while Sam was laughing like a hyena, bitch.
A large hand smacked me on the back, causing me to choke even more,. [didn’t the moron know that patting someone on the back actually makes whatever the person is choking on lodge deeper in their throat?real smart man.
Wiping away the tequila that had dribbled down my chin, I spun around ready to give whoever was thumping me on the back a good verbal thrashing.
I come face to face with my best friend and no, it wasn’t Sam beating on my back like a maniac, it was Jake, my guy best friend since diapers. I frantically looked around the bar, where was he? Austin was nowhere to be found, had Jake scared him off? Or did he hear me choking on my one little tiny shot, so embarrassing.
“Jake,” I cried a little too frantically. “Move yourself.” I added shoving him out of the way.
There he is; I had spotted him over by the bar, Austin Ledger, hottest guy(I wonder what would happen if you would add that?) since sliced bread. Too bad I am too chicken to even think about sparking up a conversation with him, darn my luck and insecurities.
“Lord Kate, what’s the big idea?” Jake laughs, planting himself in between Sam and I. “Looking for someone special?” he jokes scanning the bar, I pinch his arm little good it did. “Really?” he asks skeptically.
I shrug my shoulders, keeping an eye on Austin, he was laughing and joking with one of his hockey buddies, a Puck Bunny, aka slut, had wrapped her pretty little arms around him, laughing at all the right moments. Stupid blonde bimbo.
Rolling his deep hazel green eyes Jake turns to Sam, who is playing with the little pink umbrella that came with her latest drink, that girl is a damn fish.
“Well Sam, is she drunk off her rocker yet?” he asked indicating me with his thumb.
Sam shook her short red hair, making it stick out more than usual. “Nope, took one shot and nearly drowned, until you came and saved her Jakey Dearest.” She giggles again, that sweet little girl giggle.
Jake leaned forward resting his forearms on the polished table with Bud Light logos. “How much has she had?” he asked me, brushing wavy blonde hair out of his eyes.
“Too much, she really needs coffee.” I tell him, watching Austin flirt with the Puck Bunny, wishing she would throw up on him or something.
“Who are you looking for?” Jake asks, following my line of direction, he snorts. “Really Kate? Austin Ledger? He’s a total asshole.”
I shoot him an appalled look. “He is not.” I sounded a little whiney.
“Is not.” I challenge, stealing another glance at the Captain of the Wildcat’s, the senior hockey team at University of New Hampshire. Go Wildcat’s, never thought I would ever say that.
“Is so.”
“Not.”
“So.”
“Not!”
“Yes!” he and everyone else in the bar randomly cheers, arms shooting for the ceiling.
“What is wrong with you?” I ask watching the bartender pour everyone a shot, as grown men whoop and scream, fisting pumping each other, dorks.
Jake takes a shot from a passing waitress. “Are you serious? The Detroit Red Wings just scored.”
I look over my shoulder, sure enough what the entire hullabaloo was about was the St. Louis Blues against the Detroit Red Wings, both teams were now tied in the last period.
“Oh whatever, it’s Blues all the way.” I tell him, tracing the water ring on the table, left over from my watered down Coke.
Jake set down the shot glass, his hazel eyes sparkling. “Interesting, wanna bet?” he smiles.
I cast a glance over at Austin, he and a few other bar patrons are cheering some loser frat boy on, telling him to ‘chug’.
“Common you can watch pretty boy some other time, we’ll make it interesting.” He promised, his eyes holding that twinkling laughter and something else, must be that half a shot I managed to get down making me see things.
He squeezes my hand. “That’s my girl, now if your team the St. Louis Blues win, even though there isn’t a chance in hell because the Blues haven’t been anything since Hull and Gretzky left them a long time ago, I promise–“ he thought for a moment or two, probably thinking of something really good.
He flashed me a rueful smile. “I promise to put in a good word for you with asshole over there.” He flicks his thumb in Austin’s direction, now there were three Puck Bunnies surrounding him; damn can’t a girl catch a break?
A small groan escapes as I watch the scene before me, stupid blonde bimbo’s, Jake moves my hand holding it, I look to where my hand had been and see that I had been picking at an imperfection on the table and had chipped my name in my aggravation, oops.
“Thanks,” I mutter, turning my gaze from Austin, I see that Jake is still holding my hand, he has very nice hands and we fit so nicely together–wait, what am I thinking? This is Jake Everhart; I’ve known him since I was in diapers, we played in the sandbox together we were the original Rugrats, we don’t hold hands, we’re just friends.
Slowly, without hurting his manly feelings or trying to be to conspicuous I slid my hand out from underneath his, flashing him a friendly smile.
Something flashes in those deep hazel eyes, damn he knows, smartass.
Clearing my throat I check the score on the large plasma screen TV, still tied. Both teams looking like they could go on for hours though, Goalies were keyed up ready for the puck, daring it to pass by them.
“If your team wins, which they don’t have a shot in hell of doing because there’re from Michigan,” he laughs shrugging out of his fitted leather jacket. I watched him place the jacket over the chair he’s in, his olive green t-shirt fitting perfectly to his broad chest and sinewy arms–stop it! This is Jake we’re talking about here, you know it took him until he was seven years old to quit wetting the bed, plus he had braces and terrible pizza face acne. Don’t go there.
I nod, that’s all I can do. Fighting my inner battles takes a lot of brain power, and nodding is simple; up down up down.
“Well what do you want? You get to pick, because you pretty much summed up what I wanted.” I gave him a nervous giggle.
Jake rolls his eyes, probably regretting what he offered me, a chance to talk to Austin Ledger, be still my heart, ha lord I need to get out more.
He sits back in deep thought, crossing his arms across his chest, showing off his nice looking biceps, nice? Really? Oy vey.
Jake’s muscles weren’t nice; they were fine as hell, why haven’t I ever noticed beforehand? I mean he’s really not that bad looking of a kid–guy we’re the same age. His wavy blonde hair looks like it’s been kissed by the sun, a little messy at times but that’s his personality. He has the face of a young Adonis, and I know your thinking really; Adonis? But hey it’s true, his nose is straight though he plays hockey with all the other dumb jocks, his lips are smooth yet firm, very kissable, strong chin and jaw, he’s just a Greek God. (I really liked the description in this.)
Then there’s his fun loving nature, he’s the type of guy you could take anywhere and everything would be right as rain.
There aren’t any bad times with Jake, he’s no Debbie downer. The type of guy you can bring home to mamma and daddy.
I remember this one time when we were juniors in high school, my then boyfriend of six months, Danny Tyree, had just broken up with me, three days before prom. I was heartbroken, to say the least. When Jake found out, he had a good talking to with Danny, one that reverted into a black eye. I went to prom with Jake that night, we had a blast. I will always remember what he said to me as he walked me to my door that night: “Not good enough.” And he meant Danny Tyree, but that’s all he would say, about any of my boyfriends.
Holy shit.
I jump a little in my chair, Jake pays no mind to this he’s watching the game. But I realize something, going over everything I just thought; damn.
I like Jake.

They're just little opinions I guess. This was the first time I ever reviewed something so I'm sorry if I did something wrong. :) I really enjoyed this and I am excited to read the second part. Great work!
-Hope
Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.
-John Green (An Abundance of Katherines)

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:15 pm
Theodorable says...

Hey there. I'm going to review this for you. Corrections and alternatives are in bold.

I couldn't hear myself think over the pounding of the bar's loud obnoxious oldies, men and women both droning on and on about their drugs and their booze, sounds just like today, actually pretty much like right now. I tried to block out my friends and the other bar goers, it was too difficult a task, so I gave up and gave in.

“One drink,” my friend Samantha giggles, pushing the Tequila shot next to my Diet Coke. “It won't hurt, and one drink certainly won't put you over the limit.” She tells me, her words slurring just a smidge, Samantha having already an amaretto sour and two shots of Jack.

I eye the cool amber liquid. 'Drink me.' it calls, making me feel like Alice in Wonderland. I push the small shot glass back at Sam, content with my soda. Sam laughs taking the shot and throwing one back as if she's an old pro.

Sam called for another shot; this one I think was a little stronger. “Of course you can, you look a little down in the dumps anyways, it'll help.” Again she pushed the shallow glass my way, shoving my Diet Coke off to the side.

Sam must have followed my gaze, she whistled with appreciation, I couldn't help but nod in agreement, Austin was a bombshell. (This sentence is too long and you should put a period here, then start a new sentence) close cropped dark hair, big brown eyes with super long eyelashes for a guy, he stood head and shoulders over most other guys in the bar, broad shoulders, small waist, you know swimmer's body, oh yeah he was gorgeous- and he's heading this way.

“What'd you do that for?” I gasped; flicking her arm I shot her a scathing look. Sam just smiled; I really needed to get her home soon, before she makes a scene.

“Quick, here he comes, down it in one gulp you'll feel so much better.” She tells me watching my crush getting closer and closer. “Hurry, he's coming. Do you want to feel like an idiot around Austin, or like a smooth, confident, sexy, vixen?”

“I hate you, you know.” I grumbled as I through throw back the shot. The tempting amber liquid burned all the way down, man was I stupid.

I coughed and choked, reaching for my soda, all the while Sam was laughing like a hyena, Bitch.

A large hand smacked me on the back, causing me to choke even more, didn’t the moron know that patting someone on the back actually makes whatever the person is choking on lodge deeper in their throat, real smart man.

“Jake,” I cried a little too frantically. “Move yourself.” I added, shoving him out of the way.

There he is; I had spotted him over by the bar, Austin Ledger, hottest guy since sliced bread. Too bad I am too chicken to even think about sparking up a conversation with him, darn my luck and insecurities.

Jake leaned forward resting his forearms on the polished table with Bud Light logos. “How much has she had?” he asked me, brushing wavy blond hair out of his eyes.

I shoot him an appalled look. “He is not.” I sounded a little whiny.

“Is so.”

“Not.”

“So.”

“Not!”

“What is wrong with you?” I ask watching the bartender pour everyone a shot, as grown men whoop and scream, fist pumping each other, dorks.

Something flashes in those deep hazel eyes, damn he knows, smart-ass.

“If your team wins, which they don’t have a shot in hell of doing because they’re from Michigan,” he laughs shrugging out of his fitted leather jacket. I watched him place the jacket over the chair he’s in, his olive green t-shirt fitting perfectly to his broad chest and sinewy arms–stop it! This is Jake we’re talking about here, you know it took him until he was seven years old to quit wetting the bed, plus he had braces and terrible pizza face acne. Don’t go there.

Jake’s muscles weren’t nice; they were fine as hell, why haven’t I ever noticed beforehand? I mean he’s really not that bad looking of a kid–guy we’re the same age. His wavy blond hair looks like it’s been kissed by the sun, a little messy at times but that’s his personality. He has the face of a young Adonis, and I know your thinking really; Adonis? But hey it’s true, his nose is straight though he plays hockey with all the other dumb jocks, his lips are smooth yet firm, very kissable, strong chin and jaw, he’s just a Greek God.

Holy shit.

I like Jake.

First things first, I did like this story. It's sort of cliche, but it has a twist to it, so I want to read more.

You seem to like semi-colons, and there's nothing wrong with that, but you need to watch out that you don't use them unnecessarily. And just in case you didn't know, the word 'blonde' is used to describe dumb people, and the word 'blond' is used for hair color.

And finally, overall this looks like a very good bases for a novel of some sort, not a short story. But that's just me. Anyway PM me when you put up your next part!

Theo
Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cake hole. -Dean, Supernatural

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:35 pm
theotherone says...

Hello there. :)

Corrections in red, comments are in bold.
I couldn't hear myself think over the pounding of the bar's loud obnoxious oldies, men and women both droning on and on about their drugs and their booze period. Sounds just like today, actually pretty much like right now. I tried to block out my friends and the other bar goers but it was too difficult a task, so I gave up and gave in.

“One drink,” my friend Samantha giggles, pushing the Tequila shot next to my Diet Coke. “It won't hurt, and one drink certainly won't put you over the limit.” she tells me, her words slurring just a smidge Period. She already had an amaretto sour and two shots of Jack.

I eye the cool amber liquid. 'Drink me.' it calls, making me feel like Alice in Wonderland. I push the small shot glass back at Sam, content with my soda. She laughs comma taking the shot and throwing one back as if she's an old pro.

Sam called for another shot; this one I think was a little stronger. “Of course you can, you look a little down in the dumps anyways, it'll help comma” again she pushed the shallow glass my way, shoving my Diet Coke off to the side.

“Shit,” I murmur, grabbing a napkin to wipe away the mess. Out of the corner of my eye I spot something or someone really: my crush.

Sam must have followed my gaze, because she whistled with appreciation Period. I couldn't help but nod in agreement, Austin was a bombshell Period. Close cropped dark hair, big brown eyes with super long eyelashes for a guy, he stood head and shoulders over most other guys in the bar, broad shoulders, small waist, you know comma the swimmer's body Period. Oh yeah he was gorgeous- and he's heading this way.

I turn quickly back around letting out a little squeak I hunched over my soda, hoping against all hope that he didn't see me. But of course comma Samantha in her drunken state waved her hand like an idiot, drawing Austin to us; boy did I want to ring her little neck. Your story is written in present tense, make sure it doesn't change.

“What'd you do that for?” I gasped comma flicking her arm as I shot her a scathing look. Sam just smiled; I really needed to get her home soon, before she makes a scene.

“Quick, here he comes, down it in one gulp you'll feel so much better comma” she tells me comma watching my crush getting closer and closer. “Hurry, he's coming. Do you want to feel like an idiot around Austin, or like a smooth, confident, sexy, vixen?”

“Uhh . . . what?” I ask, somehow the shot coming closer to my parched lips. “That didn't make any sense at all Sam.”

“Just drink it!” she demands comma letting out a small drunken giggle.

“I hate you, you know comma” I grumb as I through back the shot. The tempting amber liquid burned all the way down Period. Man I am stupid.

I cough and choke, reaching for my soda, all the while Sam was laughing like a hyena, bitch.

A large hand smacked me on the back, causing me to choke even more Period. Didn’t the moron know that patting someone on the back actually makes whatever the person is choking on lodge deeper in their throat? Real smart man.

Wiping away the tequila that had dribbled down my chin, I spun around comma ready to give whoever was thumping me on the back a good verbal thrashing.

“Jake,” I cry a little too frantically. “Move yourself comma” I add comma shoving him out of the way.

I shrug my shoulders, keeping an eye on Austin, he is laughing and joking with one of his hockey buddies Period. A Puck Bunny, aka slut, had wrapped her pretty little arms around him, laughing at all the right moments. Stupid blonde bimbo.

Rolling his deep hazel green eyes comma Jake turns to Sam, who is playing with the little pink umbrella that came with her latest drink period. That girl is a damn fish.

“Well Sam, is she drunk off her rocker yet?” he ask comma indicating me with his thumb.

Sam shook her short red hair, making it stick out more than usual. “Nope, took one shot and nearly drowned, until you came and saved her comma Jakey Dearest comma” She giggles again, that sweet little girl giggle.

Jake leans forward comma resting his forearms on the polished table with Bud Light logos. “How much has she had?” he asks me, brushing wavy blonde hair out of his eyes.

“Too much, she really needs coffee comma” I tell him, watching Austin flirt with the Puck Bunny, wishing she would throw up on him or something.

I shoot him an appalled look. “He is not comma” I sound a little whiny.

“Is not comma” I challenge, stealing another glance at the Captain of the Wildcat’s, the senior hockey team at University of New Hampshire. Go Wildcat’s, never thought I would ever say that.

“Is so.”

“Not.”

“So.”

“Not!”

“What is wrong with you?” I ask comma watching the bartender pour everyone a shot, as grown men whoop and scream, fist pumping into each other, dorks.

“Oh whatever, it’s Blues all the way comma” I tell him, tracing the water ring on the table, left over from my watered down Coke.

C'mon you can watch pretty boy some other time, we’ll make it interesting comma” he promises, his eyes holding that twinkling laughter and something else, must be that half a shot I managed to get down making me see things.

I sigh comma flashing him a cat ate the canary smile. “So what are the rules?”

He squeezes my hand. “That’s my girl, now if your team comma the St. Louis Blues win, even though there isn’t a chance in hell because the Blues haven’t been anything since Hull and Gretzky left them a long time ago, I promise–“ he thought for a moment or two, probably thinking of something really good.

He flashes me a rueful smile. “I promise to put in a good word for you with asshole over there comma” he flicks his thumb in Austin’s direction, now there were three Puck Bunnies surrounding him Period. Damn comma can’t a girl catch a break?

A small groan escapes as I watch the scene before me, stupid blonde bimbo’s Period. Jake moves my hand comma holding it Period. I look to where my hand had been and see that I had been picking at an imperfection on the table and had chipped my name in my aggravation, oops.

“Thanks,” I mutter, turning my gaze from Austin and I see that Jake is still holding my hand Period. He has very nice hands and we fit so nicely together–wait, what am I thinking? This is Jake Everhart Period. I’ve known him since I was in diapers, we played in the sandbox together we were the original Rugrats Period. We don’t hold hands, we’re just friends.

Something flashes in those deep hazel eyes Period. Damn he knows period. Smartass.

Clearing my throat comma I check the score on the large plasma screen TV, still tied. Both teams looking like they could go on for hours though, Goalies were keyed up ready for the puck, daring it to pass by them.

“If your team wins, which they don’t have a shot in hell of doing because they’re from Michigan,” he laughs comma shrugging out of his fitted leather jacket. I watched him place the jacket over the chair he’s in, his olive green t-shirt fitting perfectly to his broad chest and sinewy arms Period. stop it! This is Jake we’re talking about here, you know it took him until he was seven years old to quit wetting the bed, plus he had braces and terrible pizza face acne. Don’t go there.When she's talking to herself, the text should be in italics.

“Kate, you alright?” he asks comma a little worry flashing in his eyes.

I nod, that’s all I can do. Fighting my inner battles takes a lot of brain power, and nodding is simple Period. Up comma down comma up comma down.

“Well what do you want? You get to pick, because you pretty much summed up what I wanted comma” I give him a nervous giggle.

Jake rolls his eyes, probably regretting what he offered me, a chance to talk to Austin Ledger, be still my heart period. Ha lord comma I need to get out more.

He sits back in deep thought, crossing his arms across his chest, showing off his nice looking biceps Period. Nice? Really? Oy vey. What is this little part at the end? Oy Vey is two words that are not in my vocabulary...

Jake’s muscles weren’t nice; they were fine as hell Period. Why haven’t I ever notice beforehand? I mean comma he’s really not that bad looking of a kid–guy we’re the same age. His wavy blond hair looks like it’s been kissed by the sun, a little messy at times but that’s his personality. He has the face of a young Adonis, and I know your thinking: really, Adonis? But hey comma it’s true Period. His nose is straight though he plays hockey with all the other dumb jocks, his lips are smooth comma yet firm, very kissable, strong chin and jaw Period. He’s just a Greek God.

Then comma there’s his fun loving nature Period. He’s the type of guy you could take anywhere and everything would be right as rain.

I remember this one time when we were juniors in high school, my then boyfriend of six months, Danny Tyree, had just broken up with me, three days before prom. I was heartbroken, to say the least. When Jake found out, he had a good talk with Danny, one that reverted into a black eye. I went to prom with Jake that night, we had a blast. I will always remember what he said to me as he walked me to my door that night: “Not good enough.” And he meant Danny Tyree, but that’s all he would say, about any of my boyfriends.

Holy shit.

I jump a little in my chair, Jake pays no attention to this because he’s watching the game. But I realize something, going over everything I just thought Period. Damn.

I like Jake.

A lot of punctuation mistakes. You should definitely read it over, out loud. This is an exercise that helps catch all the little mistakes like punctuation or typos. When you read, sometimes your eyes play little tricks on you, and reading it out loud does the job. :) Apart from that, it seems like an interesting story. Be careful with your verb tense too.
And one more thing! Were did Sam go? Out of no where she's just gone... Maybe mention where she is and why she left?

PS: I'm sorry if I repeat other reviewers... I didn't check what they point out.

Keep on working!

-Other One
Behind every mask, lies a man that can't live in his own skin. - Woe is Me <3
Need a reviewer? I don't bite, I promise. :) ---> viewtopic.php?f=188&t=76466

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:26 am
PandaAiKorai says...

Sweetheart, I must be honest, your sentences run on so much, my eyes can't stay glued for long.

"she tells me, her words slurring just a smidge, Samantha having already an amaretto sour and two shots of Jack. "

How about, ", she tells me, her words slurring just a smidge. Samantha already had an amaretto sour and two shots of Jack."

See how that runs smoother. In the first couple of paragraphs alone, it seems that you write like this often. I wonder, do you do this intentionally? Being out with friends, at a bar, so much going on, her thoughts not very coherent. Even if she wasn't drinking, I know, personally, my thoughts can run like that. If you could brush up on a few sentences, I'd be more than happy to give this story another chance.

~Panda;;
Southern hospitality just ain't what it used to be...

...Ain't what it used to be...

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:36 pm
View Likes
SakuraFallsSweetly♥ says...

I love this! I'm like, hooked! You so need to write more of this! Can you please write me when you put up more? Ah I just love it. It's so good. Well done!
The only true failure, is when you give up. ♥

A diamond is merely a lump of coal that did well under pressure.
— Unknown