z

Young Writers Society

Life

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:55 pm
idle muse says...

I wrote this a rainy Thursday night for a friend. And yes, I deliberately didn't give either of them names, in case anyone was wondering.

They're eyes met across a party. It was dark, and techno music pulses incessantly in the background. Neither fit in, they both knew that within seconds of seeing each other. Him, with his long coat and mysterious allure, and him, sitting by the corner, wishing he was at home with a book. Both young, both confused, both searching for the answers to the questions that plagued the deepest recesses of their minds.

It's beautiful. It always is.

They're lips meeting, knowing the sheer thrill of forbidden pleasure, both loving the excitement and the danger. Electricity danced between them, their eyes burning holes in each other. They moved with the music in the black closet, holding each other close, both knowing how their friends would react, their family. And neither caring. Each one lost in the other.

It's unfair. It always is.

Their tryst discovered, enduring the torment and humiliation. Suddenly friends turned away, and even teachers became cold and distant. Their families sat them both down, explaining to them in patronising tones that this was a phase, a challenge, something to be overcame. Both nodded obediently in acquiescence, both sneering inside.

It's funny. It always is.

Ten years later, a black tie reunion. Them, a lawyer and an academic, holding hands, dressed flawlessly in Armani. The rest, looking on jealously, hands clutching champagne glasses until the knuckles turn white. They smile and glance at each other, triumph playing in their eyes. The same place where they met, only fancier now, and gentle classical music floats through the auditorium. Before they know it they're dancing again, but in the centre of the room now, and all eyes are fixed on them.

It's sad. It always is.

He, the dark and mysterious stranger who captured his heart so many years ago, lies weak and helpless on the hospital bed. Blinking lights and the quiet humming of machinery are in the background. The radio blares out tinny music, the latest pop. They hold hands, both crying. They're lips meet one final time. Then he's gone, and his lover is left alone, never to dance with him again.

It's life.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:33 am
TNCowgirl says...

Whoa, that is really really sad, good, happy, and wow. I don't normally like this style of writing. But you did really well with it.
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:13 am
Kalliope says...

Hi idle muse,

I really enjoyed reading this. It took me a pragraph or two to get used to the piece and there were one ore two phrases that sounded a little cliché to me.

...searching for the answers to the questions that plagued the deepest recesses of their minds.

This for example. And the secong paragraph was also pretty close to the border.
I don't know, if I'd change it though, because I liked it better when I read it the second time.

After that you really had me. I really love the way you described everybody turning away from them and then the reunion. Ha! Loved it. The ending was very strong aswell.

The little sentences about life are great.

Keep up the good work! ;)

~Kalliope
Last edited by Kalliope on Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:06 pm
StellaThomas says...

This is beautifully written, but in the first two large paragraphs, you say "they're" instead of "Their"... just a little typo you might want to change.

But apart from that, very nice.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:37 pm
Kadie says...

This is really beautiful and really sad. I loved the repetition in this piece, it just brings the whole thing together for me at the end when it says 'It's life'

Just a few nit picks, i really didn't find much wrong with this.

- It was dark, and techno music pulses incessantly in the background

I think 'pulsed' would be better here. Pulses kinda throws the tense off a little i think.

- something to be overcame

Overcome. Overcame is past tense, i think overcome fits better as in this situation it it hypothetical future tense kinda. If you get what i mean. Ignore me if you don't lol.

Anyway, great job. Really moving.

Kadie xxx

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:30 pm
mizz-iceberg says...

I loved the way you wrote this. And i liked your view on life. Also, I can see why you left out the names of the characters. Names weren't needed. I got the complete message, the story and didn't feel as if there was missing information. I rather liked the repetition of 'It always is'.

There was a steady rhythm to this story.

My favourite line:
Both nodded obediently in acquiescence, both sneering inside.

keep writing :D
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:07 pm
elephantwalrus says...

This is a nice piece; the rhythm flows smoothly, making the piece very easy going. I liked the diction of the piece, but the voice was dull. Maybe that’s just my preference.

Other than that, there was just one thing that I did not like in the piece: the line “It’s sad. It always is.” It seems out of place; all the other “It always is” lines describe the paragraph before them, but this one describes the one after. It throws the reader off, I think.

One last thing: you seem to change tenses a couple times. Try reading it aloud to catch where the tenses change.

Once again, nice job!
My main project until Script Frenzy is an experiment using blog posts between four characters as episodes of a common story. You can read this work as it progresses at http://knowallchronicles.blogspot.com/.

25 Reviews

Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:35 pm
idle muse says...

Thanks. I know I flit from tense to tense a bit, I'll change that now. I really appreciate all the feedback :D
Religion is the opium of the masses
- Karl Marx -
Democracy is the worst form of goverment, except for all the others that have been tried.
- Winston Churchill -

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:50 am
casey_kent says...

AAWW. I enjoyed this poem. Beautiful but sad. I Like it. A star for you!
Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship.

I may not be perfect but Jesus thinks I'm to die for.

"Let's destroy these little darlings..."- W.Beckett

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:38 am
OverEasy says...

I actually love the fact that neither of them have names, they don't need them. I really think giving them a name may have been more distracting than anything. It's sad and dramatic but in such a beautiful way. I really adore it.
Life is for living.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:45 pm
Kick_the_sky504 says...

Very good. I loved it. It flowed very nicly and the outlook on it was very good. Even if the tenses were a little off it looked fine to me. I didn't notice till after I read over it a few times. I hope to see more of your writing.

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:15 pm
View Likes
Angel of Death says...

This was so beautiful, I love the way you separated the paragraphs with sentences and how it ended...It's life. True brilliance!!!
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:51 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

4 stars out of 5.

You did pretty well concerning composition. At first I was worried that you were doing paragraph/line/paragraph/line, and not linking them all together, but you did fairly well with that. The last paragraph [the last chunk of text, that is] disappointed me, though. It wasn't the right kind of twist, if you can understand. I felt cheated as a reader, felt like you just threw that in.

However, it's a story, and I'm just one input, but overall it popped out. I liked it. :]

Yes, normally, I don't do well with this type of fiction, but you handled it nicely.

--Seree.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:12 am
myfreindsavamp says...

center is spelld wrong...
Hey are they gay?
Just wondering....
-em
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

25 Reviews

Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:35 am
idle muse says...

Centre is the correct form of spelling in British English. And yes, they are gay, why?
Religion is the opium of the masses
- Karl Marx -
Democracy is the worst form of goverment, except for all the others that have been tried.
- Winston Churchill -

Carpe Diem
— Catullus