z

Young Writers Society

Fire Lighter

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:28 pm
Passion's Killing Floor says...

[pre]Fire Lighter

It’s not like I was surprised by what had happened. I’d been expecting it. Nonetheless, I don’t know what’s going on in the world anymore. It’s been weeks since my world went from white to black.
I didn’t think I’d be so affected by your leave.
Things are quiet now, everything’s gray. I completely lost touch with reality in the aftermath. I stayed in bed for a long time. All I would do was stare at the ceiling and trace paths through the grooves with my eyes. Eventually I had to go to work, but even then nothing was really normal anymore.
I’m starting to recover.
Like yesterday, when I got home, I realized what a mess our-, I mean, my apartment was. Clothing was scattered all about the room, dirty dishes sat wherever, the refrigerator was empty. Yeah, I haven’t been eating.
I picked up a wine glass from the floor in the living room, and noticed the giant stain of red wine in the carpet. You know, from when you threw it at me in your fit of anger. The stain is now an ugly brown.
I don’t know why I’m upset. I knew it was coming, I even counted down the days.
We both knew. We were both mental psychopaths, and everyone knows crazy people shouldn’t live with other crazy people.
Even so, I miss you.
But…
I have to move on, like you have. You won’t even so much as glance at me in art class anymore. I’m sorry if I freak you out with my occasional eye-darting in your direction. The thing is, you’re just so beautiful, and I like to draw you instead of that naked model we’ve had all week. I don’t draw you in color. I draw you in black and white. Sometimes I would sit there and wonder if that’s how you were feeling too. You know, like that without me there was no more color in the world.
I really doubted that though, and while I drew you I saw that you were thinking more about the model than what color your life was.
Something I know for sure is that our color when we were together was bright red, because you know as well as I do how passionate crazy people can be.
I decided to clean up my apartment today, and get my life together again. You were very thorough in your leaving. You took absolutely everything that was yours. It was as if you had never existed. Reality told me you were real, but the voices in my head tried telling me you were a figment of their imagination. Then lo and behold, I found your red lighter out on the fire escape when I was watering my neglected, now dead, plant. I don’t even remember what it was suppose to be, it was so shriveled up.
See what you did. You killed my plant.
I don’t know what I was thinking, probably that it wasn’t real, but I stuck my finger in the flame. You can guess what happened.
I can’t keep this lighter, it reminds me too much of you. It brings back the memories of those lazy days we’d sit out on the fire escape, while you took a long drag, and we watched the colors of the sky melt together at dusk.
So here I am now, at your front door, staring at you staring at me. I can’t keep this. I have to give it back.
Don’t stare at me like that.
C’mon, take it back. I’m holding out my hand with the lighter in my palm. Take it, damn it!
“Keep it.” You say.
“Take it back, now!” My voice cracked.
And so your hands gingerly pick it up, and drop it in your back pocket.
Good, now I can leave. Yet just as I was about to turn, you grabbed my hand and spun me back to face you. Your fingers lightly traced over mine, and you had this thoughtful expression on your face. You kissed the finger with the burn on it.
Oh no, I can’t do this again.
You must think of me strangely now, but I had no choice but to run.
I miss you, but not enough that I can’t move on.[/pre]
Last edited by Passion's Killing Floor on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:30 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

Ooh, I liked this. I loved the ending.

Up near the top, "Things are quite now..." quite = quiet. Looks like you were typing a bit fast.

Anyway, I really did like the ending. You see too many stories and poems where, after a break up, the guy makes a move to get back together after he was the instigator of the breakup and the girl just swoons back into his arms and they live happily ever after. That's not really how life works. I liked the reality of this piece.

Your descriptions and language were really nice. You described enough to give a picture, but didn't drown the reader in adjectives.

*thumbs up*

Really nice job...

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:47 pm
shanan-cat says...

I'm sorry but I can't read this just because it's too long and way too wide.
Maybe you should edit it and then I can read it, okay?
shanan-cat!
"Laugh like no one can hear you, dance like no one is watching, and love like you're going to doe tomorrow." --Unknown

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:02 pm
Leja says...

This works well as a short story, I think because it's in the present tense. However, a byproduct of writing in the present tense can often be lofty, thoughtful writing uninterrupted by action, and that's what happened in the first part; there were a lot of generalizations and summaries. I didn't feel like it touched on much of a story line so much as a stream of conscience.

And that makes it hard to really connect with, because it seems so much like we're just reading a character's private thoughts, that they don't mean much to anyone but her. In more action-based writing, we as the reader have a chance to live through her actions with her and decide what we think of her for ourselves, instead of it being related to us by a possibly unreliable narrator. I'm not saying this is a bad style, just something different that I, personally, am not as fond of.
Last edited by Leja on Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:20 pm
carolinewashere says...

amazing!!! only one thing really bothered me was when you wrote

I mean, my apartment was. Clothing was scattered all about my room

i like how the narrator is catching herself but then she says my room again and i just think the 2nd my is too close to the 1st one. I think if you said "scattered all about the room" it would work better.

but besides that it is wicked good. you are a great writer. keep it up!
caroline was here '10

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:51 pm
Fall_Into_The_Sky says...

Great story keep it up
The only wrong love is only one never felt.
Live to day as if your would die tomorrow.
Love like you know no other, dream as if they'd come true, hope because you can reach the stars.

I was weeping as much for him as her; we do sometimes pity creatures that have none of the feeling either for themselves or others.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights