z

Young Writers Society

One Night fixed up

Reviews: 3
Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:59 am
Eric511 says...

Hey guys. I did some fixing on my story One Night, but I feel like something is missing. I added a bit more feeling towards the main character and added a few more details, but it just doesnt feel like its all the way done. Maybe you guys can help me

[pre]One night

It was a Saturday night, me and Jason’s five year anniversary. I could not believe we had been together for five years. We brought up marriage a few times, but never spoke seriously about it since we were happy with the way things were. I loved Jason so much and to this day I cry for him. He was taking me to some restaurant that he refused to tell me where it was. We were driving and he said he needed to stop by the bank so he could pay for dinner. I offered to pay, but he insisted that he would pay and that I should keep everything in my purse. At the time I didn’t understand what he meant. Really though I didn’t need to go to some fancy restaurant to have a good time. As long as we were with each other, the night was perfect. We had just gotten back from this festival thing that was going on in our city. It was about nine o’clock when we drove up to the bank and parked the car. Even though he was just going to the ATM in front of the car, I came with him. Holding hands, we walked up to the ATM.
“Can you hand me my wallet?” he asked. As I was digging through my purse I saw a man turn a corner of the building and start slowly walking toward us. Jason saw him too and maneuvered in front of me watching him suspiciously. I brought the wallet out of my purse and gestured it towards Jason. He still stood in front of me watching the man. The man kept coming closer to us and I began to get a little nervous. He was just some guy walking by I thought seeing him walk by the other ATM machine. Jason followed him with his eyes. I saw the man eye the wallet I was holding and just as I was about to hand it to Jason, all of sudden he pulled a gun and aimed it towards us. Jason quickly covered my body with his own.
“Hand over that wallet and you can walk away!” he shouted. Scared, I tossed the wallet at him. He picked it up with the gun still aimed at us. Jason was tense and kept making sure I was behind him.
“Do think this is a joke!” he shouted throwing the wallet on the ground and shaking his gun at us. “I want money damn it! Give me your purse!” I got out from behind Jason and extended my arm holding the strap of the purse. Just as the man snatched the purse from my hand, my stubborn boyfriend lunged at the man. “Jason no!“ I shouted with fear. I stood in shock as Jason held the man’s hand with the gun pointed away towards the
sky. I screamed as the gun fired three times into the air with Jason and the man struggling about. Jason with his left hand began to punch the man who was obviously unprepared for this retaliation. The man dropped the gun and fell down. Jason pushed the man away and grabbed the purse. I watched in horror as Jason picked up the gun and when he turned around to face the man, the man had pulled out another gun from his jacket pocket and pulled the trigger. The shot hit Jason and my heart stopped. I screamed as Jason began to fall backwards and the man sprinted away. Yelling and screaming I ran to Jason, tears streaming down my face. He was alive twitching on the floor trying to see where he was shot. I immediately pulled my cell phone from my purse and called 911. I sat there in tears as Jason lay on the ground in front of me. I felt so helpless as his chest bled. I was in too much of a panic to do anything. As I sat there horrified Jason spoke to me. His voice was usually so calming to me, but not this time. “Don’t worry, don’t worry,“ he said, “Everything will be alright you’ll see.” That was the first time Jason ever lied to me. Finally after what seemed like hours, an ambulance appeared followed by police cars. Two people came out and rushed Jason into the ambulance on a stretcher and sped off to the hospital. I followed them into the ambulance watching Jason every step of the way. As we rode in the ambulance, one of the EMT’s was trying to keep me calm, however, it was useless. I could not control my emotions and kept on crying at the sight of seeing Jason on that stretcher. When we got to the hospital, they made me wait outside of the emergency room as they took Jason in. I ran after Jason and was completely oblivious to the nurses holding me back and tried to force my way in. However the nurses prevailed in keeping me in the waiting room. My mind was only on Jason, nothing else. After a few minutes they had finally gotten me back into the waiting room. After pacing around the room, I took a seat clutching my purse as hard as I could. It was as if my whole world had come crashing down on top of me. I felt as if I was going to die myself. “Jason can’t die,” I repeated for myself. He promised he would always be there for me no matter what. One of the nurses had called Jason and my parents and they were on their way. The only thing that kept my the thoughts from streaming through my head was the sound of the pulse monitor inside the double doors. It beeped slowly. Every time I heard it and panicked waiting for it to beep again. Though my thoughts had stilled for the moment, my tears had not. Suddenly as I was still crying in my chair, I realized the beeping had turned to a long note. It felt as if my heart stopped as I quieted myself. My eyes widened as I stared at the doors to the emergency room scared to death of what was going on. After a few minutes, one of the doctors came out with his head looking at the floor. I stared at him shaking as he walked towards me.
“Ma’am,” he greeted. I did not say a thing. “I’m sorry, but we…lost him.” No I thought. No he had to be lying. He had to be. Tears rushed out of my eyes and I cried as loud as I could. I don’t remember what I said while I was crying, but I was blaming the doctor for being horrible at his job. The doctor was trying to calm me though his efforts were in vain.
“Ma’am please he told me to tell you something,” he said. I suddenly hushed twitching trying to hold my tears in. “He said he was sorry he couldn’t take you to the expensive restaurant.” I knew what he was talking about. The expensive restaurant was our nickname for the place. It was also where we had first met. “He also said he will always love you and to look in your purse,” the doctor finished. Unable to hold my tears back, I searched through my purse. I found a small little box. I dropped to the floor when I opened it and found a ring inside it.[/pre]

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:35 pm
View Likes
maiko_koto says...

I think this story is okay so far, but I think that you might have been rushing through the story a little and I think that it would be a lot better if you explained more of the action and develop the characters more.

Ummm, it was also a little confusing to read in some spots. I think that sometimes you need to add commas, or 'and' in some of your sentences.
Like in the line "He was alive twitching on the floor trying to see where he was shot."
Maybe it would work better if you added an 'and'
Like, "He was alive and twitching on the floor, trying to see where he was shot." or maybe, "He was alive and twitching on the floor as he tried to see where he had been shot."

There were a few minor places like that where it got confusing.

Ummmm, I don't really know how else to help you. I hope you keep revising because this story has potential.
Good Luck!

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:04 pm
View Likes
CaitE Baloney says...

I think that you did a great job at editing this, however something that would improve it greatly would be to break up the middle a little bit right now it is one giant paragraph. A few paragraphs would do.
Another thing that would improve this would be for you to stretch it out a little more and take more time to develop the story. Other then that I think that you did a wonderful job and I really enjoyed reading it.

-Caitlin
"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader."-Robert Frost

"Dreams are the future in rough draft."

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:53 am
darkest_of_them_all says...

Okay so I think this story definitely has potential, but I agree and disagree with maiko_koto. There are parts in your story that should be separated to enhance the flow of your story, but I don't think you should indulge too much with the ands. There are quite a few in the story now that could possibly be replaced by commas, semicolons, or something else that the potential addition of more could cause "suffocation".
In some parts the ands are fine, like: "Jason saw him too and maneuvered in front of me..."
In others the and could still stay there, but it just doesn't seem to flow as elegantly if replaced with something else. For example: "The man dropped the gun and fell down." Could be changed to: The man dropped the gun, his limp body floating to the floor where it impacted with the concrete, releasing an audible thud.
By changing that you could not only make it flow better, but also include details that capture the readers attention, addicting them to the gruesome, or not, details.
Just suggestions, it is your story and you could completely choose to ignore this if you so wish :P

Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:37 pm
View Likes
Eric511 says...

Thanks people. I will take all your advice into consideration as i make this story better.Thanks for reading it

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:03 pm
View Likes
Sweeney_Todd says...

NOOOOOO!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Jason CAN"T die!!!
And--And there was a ring in her purse and EVERYTHING!!!
He was going to propose, wasn't he? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:38 am
Eric511 says...

lol i like ur enthusiasm. thnks for reading it

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:03 pm
keirab says...

I like the ending to this story, it is tragic and somewhat uplifting at the same time. Very sweet.

However, I would have liked to get to know the characters a little better. I think you could have explained a little more about yourselves or whatnot before going straight to that night. Plus, I think you should have mentioned "the expensive restaurant", maybe in a lighthearted conversation between the two characters earlier that night. That way you wouldn't have to explain a sudden inside joke about them at the end.
Sgt: Now, it's quite simple to defend yourself against a man armed with a banana. First of all you force him to drop the banana; then, second, you eat the banana, thus disarming him. You have now rendered him 'elpless.
Palin: What if he's got a bunch?

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:31 am
View Likes
casey_kent says...

awww. nice story. cry-worthy. i think the ending is sweet and angsty at the same time.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:05 am
Foreseer says...

What do you mean Jason died?

I gotta say the ending was really sad, at least to me it was. Poor girl. This story does have potential, maybe you could add a bit more...information about the characters. Also maybe seperate the paragraphs just a little, to make it easier on the reader. Besides that I think I liked this, even though it had a sad ending to it.

*~*Foreseer*~*
~*~It's Not Faith If You Use Your Eyes ~*~
- Miracle by Paramore

Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:48 pm
Eric511 says...

lol thanks people. From some of your reactions, I can tell I hit the spot. That makes me happy. I'm still workin on it so...I will correct the stuff and possibly add another part

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:50 pm
View Likes
Izzyeyore says...

Oh no!!!

*sob* why did he dieeee?!!

great story *sniff*
My policy on life: you're wasting it by being sad and making others sad, so hug someone today! :D

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:17 pm
KJ says...

I noticed that while writing you have a habit of reusing words a little too much. Such as "ATM" or "pay", etc. etc.

As to the story, I enjoyed it. Very sad. I thought it odd that the instant some guy was walking up Jason was instantly suspicious. I don't think people are really like that while at an ATM. They may be cautious, and make sure their PIN number isn't out in the open, but I don't think they'd instantly be on guard like Jason was.

The only other problem I had was when the guy pulled the gun out you used the phrase "all of a sudden". I felt that that took away from the moment.

Otherwise, pretty good.
Last edited by KJ on Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:44 pm
deleted2 says...

Its pretty good!! All I think you need to do is read over it and make sure sentences flow well and make sense, and maybe develop the characters slightly more, put in a memory of a romantic dinner, or a previous anniversary, i dont know, someting to make the characters more easy to connect to. Otherwise it is good!

If you don't sign up for a review team, you're basically saying you're okay with canine amphibian metamorphosis.
— Nate