z

Young Writers Society

Guardian's Oath

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:09 am
BigBadBear says...

Hey! This is just a little thing that I wrote. I mainly focused on Eliza's look because of Jennifina's contest. Thanks for any help you can give me! I might actually add on to this, depending on your feedback! It's an interesting topic!

[EDIT] this is set in our time right now, and in our world. The Oath is a vow that one Guardian makes with his/her child. It is the Oath of love. I have been lucky that I have written this! I want to write more!

When the wind blew through Eliza’s hair, it only made her more precious. Her face diminished the meaning of true beauty. Her emerald eyes gazed at me softly while saying the loveliest words known to man.

“Jason, I love you,” she said softly, placing her hands upon my chest.

I smiled and looked back at her. The complexity of her face would make one stop and stare. Her long, black eyelashes blinked casually and periodically. The meadow we were sitting in together only added to the beauty and love of the moment.

“I love you too, Eliza,” I said softly. I had known it for quite a long time now. She smiled and flipped her breathtaking brown hair back behind her ears. Her brilliant white teeth glared in the sun, giving her the look of an angel.

“You are an angel,” I said, accidentally saying my thoughts out loud. She laughed and looked up at the sun, her emerald eyes sparkling.

Quickly she gazed down back at me, laying amongst the flowers.

“You are my guardian angel. It can’t be the other way around.” Eliza said quietly.

I looked down from her stunning pink face and twiddled with a flower that was near me.

“Sometimes I wish it were the other way around. I can’t do a decent job of protecting you. I love you too much to focus on that,” I said, looking back up to her frowning face. The disappointment in her face stunned me, and I quickly said, “What?”

She placed her warm hand on top of mine and looked deeply into my eyes.

“Don’t you ever say that again, Jason. You are the perfect guardian angel. No one could be better than you.”

Blushing, I continued to look at the flower, “That’s not true. I have been told that I am lazy.”

Eliza put her hand under my chin and lifted my head up to look at her. Her emerald eyes dazzled me, and I smiled. She did not.

“Jason, there is no other angel that I would rather have then you. You haven’t failed me once. I love you,” she muttered, staring at me once again. I shook my long blonde hair and flashed her a smile.

“Thank you, Eliza. It means a lot to me that you say that.”

The moment was breathtaking; too unreal to be reality. Slowly, I leaned my head in to meet hers and without realizing it, my lips touched hers.

Adrenaline rushed through my body and I leaned in closer, savoring every moment. Quickly, I took a breath, still holding the kiss.

She opened her mouth and I followed, and it was nothing like I had ever experienced before.

“An angel is not supposed to kiss their child,” she said, leaning back to stare at my eyes. I now felt like I could do anything. I would break the Guardian’s rules for her. I would do anything for her. I needed her. She was part of my life now.

“Will you,” I asked slowly, deliberately trying to ignore her comment, “make the Oath with me?” I knew from her shocked expression that she hadn’t been expecting this question.

Deep inside of me, I knew that I had to. Something told me that she was the one. She was the one that I had to take the Oath with.

“But the Oath hasn’t been performed in…in centuries!” she said, aghast.

“So what? Who says that we can’t bring it back? Eliza, I need you. You have no idea!” I said, breathlessly. Her beauty was intoxicating me again.

“Would the angels approve?” she asked cautiously.

I smiled, showing my teeth, “Who says that we have to tell them?”

She looked down at the flower that I had played with earlier. It was gone.

“Where did –” she asked, but I cut her off, holding the flower up to her face.

She looked taken aback, but then a smile slowly played across her face.

“Will you please take the Oath with me and live with me forever?” I asked quietly. She looked at the flower, and then at me.

“Yes,” she muttered, and embraced me once more, taking the flower out of my hands. I pulled her head away from my shoulder and pressed my lips against hers.
Last edited by BigBadBear on Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:05 pm
chayonz says...

Hey. This story is nice. The Oath thing sorta surprised me though. Are they in like a different century or world or something?

Just one thing though, you make the girl sound a bit too perfect. I mean he seems to think of nothing but just how pretty she is. ...

just a thought.

well i hope its successful! byee
h a y o n :)

nobody is perfect. thats why pencils have erasers.
- unknown

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:35 pm
cat4prowl says...

nice job bigbad! just a couple things i noticed a couple of things. here we go!

bigbadbear wrote:When the wind blew through Eliza’s hair, it only made her more precious. Her beauty diminished the meaning of true beauty. Her emerald eyes gazed at me softly while saying the loveliest words known to man.

repetitive

“Jason, I love you,” I smiled and looked back at her. The complexity of her face would make one stop and stare. Her long, black eyelashes blinked casually and periodically. The meadow we were sitting in together only added to the beauty and love of the moment.

this confused me, who's talking?
a couple too many beauty's and love, try an online thesauraus

“I love you too, Eliza,” I said softly. I had known it for quite a long time now. She smiled and flipped her breathtaking brown hair back behind her ears. Her brilliant white teeth glared in the sun, giving her the look of an angel.

“You are an angel,” I said, accidentally saying my thoughts out loud. She laughed and looked up at the sun, her emerald eyes sparkling.

Quickly she gazed down back at me, who was lying amongst the flowers.

awkward, you might just take out the 'who was' and change the lying to laying

“You are my guardian angel. It can’t be the other way around.” Eliza said quietly.

I looked down from her stunning pink face and twiddled with a flower that was near me.

“Sometimes I wish it were the other way around. I can’t do a decent job of protecting you. I love you too much to focus on that,” I said, looking back up to her frowning face. The disappointment in her face stunned me, and I quickly said, “What?”

“Don’t you ever say that again, Jason. You are the perfect guardian angel. No one could be better than you.”

Blushing, I continued to look at the flower, “That’s not true. I have been told that I am lazy.”

Eliza put her hand under my chin and lifted my head up to look at her. Her emerald eyes dazzled me, and I smiled. She did not.

“Jason, there is no other angel that I would rather have then you. You haven’t failed me once. I love you,” she muttered, staring at me once again. I shook my long blonde hair and flashed her a smile.

The moment was breathtaking; too unreal to be reality. Slowly, I leaned my head in to meet hers and without realizing it, my lips touched hers.

Adrenaline rushed through my body and I leaned in closer, savoring every moment. Quickly, I took a breath, still holding the kiss.

She opened her mouth and I followed, and it was nothing like I had ever experienced before.

“An angel is not supposed to kiss their child,” she said, leaning back to stare at my eyes. I now felt like I could do anything. I would break the Guardian’s rules for her. I would do anything for her. I needed her. She was part of my life now.

good job, this bit makes the reader want to read more

“Will you,” I asked slowly deliberately trying to ignore her comment, “make the Oath with me?” I knew from her shocked expression that she hadn’t been expecting this question.

add a comma

Deep inside of me, I knew that I had to. Something told me that she was the one. She was the one that I had to take the Oath with.

“So what? Who says that we can’t bring it back? Eliza, I need you. You have no idea!” I said, breathlessly. Her beauty was intoxicating me again.

da da da DUN :D

“Will you please take the Oath with me and live with me forever?” I asked quietly. She looked at the flower, and then at me.

repetitive but it doesnt matter so much seeing as he's talking

“Yes,” she muttered, and embraced me once more, taking the flower out of my hands. I pulled her head away and pressed my lips against hers.

away? how did he pull her head away and then kiss her? clarify

very nice bigbad! im not sure what the contests for but you have a good chance of winning it! this is a very interesting idea, ive never read a story about angels before, good job!

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:30 pm
Pawprint says...

INtersting. Please right more!
Visit my blog anytime!
weblog.php?w=871

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:22 pm
Audy says...

I loved it ^_^ It's really interesting and makes me want to read more. What is this /oath/ ? Hmm... well xD you did a good job, it's certainly well written.

The only thing I have to complain about was

She opened her mouth and I followed

It's a bit unclear what you mean :? I'm trying to picture it in my head...I don't think 'followed' is quite the right word, or maybe I'm just having one of my days...

713 Reviews

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:08 pm
BigBadBear says...

Hey, thanks everyone! I didn't know that this was going to be such a good little story. I'll write more after my NaNo...whenever I finish that. I'll go back and correct it right now.

Thanks a ton everyone!

BBB

Would love help on this.

247 Reviews

Reviews: 247
Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:51 pm
Fangala the Flying Feline says...

Aw, that was sweet!

I loved this; it was so gentle and warm and fuzzy after the heartrending drama of Beautifully Evil. However, I got pretty confused about the Oath. Is this a fantasy world or what? Actually, I think it detracted from the story. Is there any way you could take out the Oath part? I mean, you're the writer, so do whatever you want.

One more thing. You said her teeth glared. Ew...glaring teeth? Sounds like truck headlights or somebody shining a flashlight in your face. Maybe "sparkling" or something slightly more pleasant.

Good job! Keep writing!
"Hey look! A black shooting star!"

"That's no star...that's Fangala!"

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:31 am
Mystery Tracks Shh says...

I really like how you write! It's lovely!
hello

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:17 am
mirandamaddness says...

I'm going to die if I don't find out what happens!!!!!!!!

Trust me, that means I love it already.
*The Self Proclaimed Queen of The Maddness Minions*
GOT YWS? (cause I sure do)
"Everyone has a song that tells about themselves, but I have an entire soundtrack."
~Anonymous

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:52 am
PenguinAttack says...

Takes a deep breath. I hope you do well in the contest bbb.

bigbadbear wrote:Hey! This is just a little thing that I wrote. I mainly focused on Eliza's look because of Jennifina's contest. Thanks for any help you can give me! I might actually add on to this, depending on your feedback! It's an interesting topic!

[EDIT] this is set in our time right now, and in our world. The Oath is a vow that one Guardian makes with his/her child. It is the Oath of love. I have been lucky that I have written this! I want to write more!

If you have to explain things in an aside then you haven't included enough for it to make sense. We shouldn't have to wonder about those things.

When the wind blew through Eliza’s hair, it only made her more precious. Her face diminished the meaning of true beauty. Her emerald eyes gazed at me softly while saying the loveliest words known to man.

Why does her face *diminish* the meaning of true beauty? Shoudl she not be enhancing what it means to have true beauty?

I smiled and looked back at her. The complexity of her face would make one stop and stare. Her long, black eyelashes blinked casually and periodically. The meadow we were sitting in together only added to the beauty and love of the moment.

If her hands are on his chest, why is he looking *back* at her? And if her eyes are blinking, chose whether they are casual or periodic. (I would remove periodically). The last sentence is amazingly sugary, and hits of cheesy moments.

Her teeth *glare* in the sun? Perhaps not the best word for an angel.

Quickly she gazed down back at me, laying amongst the flowers.

Remove either "down" or "back"

"Stunning pink face" doesn't quite seem to fit here. Take away pink, unless you are pointing out she is sunburnt or blushing.

He is looking up and back now, if she is looking back at him, he should just be looking up.

If she is looking deeply into his eyes, how is he continuing to look at the flower?

You repeat "emerald eyes" here, you dont need the clarifiction of the eye colour.

"that you say that" is not needed. Think of how you would speak normally. "That means a lot to me" would suffice.

He took a breath while holding the kiss? Break the kiss. It serves for better suspense.

“Will you,” I asked slowly, deliberately trying to ignore her comment, “make the Oath with me?” I knew from her shocked expression that she hadn’t been expecting this question.

“Yes,” she muttered, and embraced me once more, taking the flower out of my hands. I pulled her head away from my shoulder and pressed my lips against hers.

Oookay. My points are in bold. Have a read though, agree or disagree. Lol.

I can't say I particularily like this. It is fairly interesting, and a new world to look at ... But I still cannot seem to warm to it. Your description lacks flow at points, the colours and movements not subtle enough to fit in. Though it is - for the most part - written well.

I wish you luck in the contest, and keep at it.

*Hearts* Le Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:57 pm
Liavel says...

This is ok for a short piece. I kind of felt overwhelmed by all your descriptions on how beautiful this place and people are. If this is supposed to be in the here and now I would like clarification on where this whole oath part comes in (exactly what it is etc.) and why this girl needs a guardian. This piece seems very "Fantasy" to me and a little too sugar coated for my taste. The actions between your characters (movements and things) weren't as clear as they should be and make the overall story hard to imagine. It needs work but I think as it progresses and you give us more answers to the questions what, where, and why the story will flow well and make a great piece.
"He to whom God has given knowledge and the gift of speaking eloquently, Must not keep silent or conceal the gift, but he must willingly display it."

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:54 pm
selenasacuna says...

i like the story but you focused a little to much on her and not alot on him <just a thought...smiles good though.
98% of teenagers do or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
selena

also I have a confession I am obsessed with vampires ~selena

375 Reviews

Reviews: 375
Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:55 am
Dargquon Ql'deleodna says...

First off, this story was really choppy, the dialogue didn't mesh well with the descriptions. Try to bring balance and flow to it by just moving things around *although some of the story must be cut*. One of the things you did that i liked was that you didn't put things like "she said","exclaimed Eliza", etc. (i think you get the point) after every line of dialogue (it just gets really annoying and readers lose interest very fast); you still use things like that a little too much (so work on it).

Another thing, you said something about the oath being with a gaurdian and his/her child. So the impression i get from this is that you are talking about a father/mother daughter/son relationship (correct me if i'm wrong, because it's your story, this is just how i interpreted it). If this is true, the story is disgusting (just think, father, daughter, kissing; just a tad out of place there). That's all i'll say about that.

now, to the finer details.

First off, it reads as if you used beautiful too much in just those few lines, i highly recommend using a thesaurus when you write to avoid re-using a word too much *but make sure its a word that fits with the whole of the story, because if it's a so far simple story, and you throw in some really large confusing, hard to pronounce word it throws things off*.

When you talk about the complexity of her face and how it "would make one stop and stare" makes no sense. Probably just worded wrong, i strongly suggest you attempt to fix it.

The little part about her eyelashes just doesn't flow well, pick one of the words; either "casually" or "periodically". Personally i'd go with casually.

I'll come back and edit more of it as i get more time (so that means check this at least once a day, unless you don't care and if you don't please tell me so i'm not just wasting my time.)

-Dargquon Ql'deleodna
Life's a B*tch, slap it upside the head.

Dargquon Ql'deleodna: (n) "Dar-qu-on Kel-del-ode-na" something i made up that sounded cool, partially based off of the Drow Drizzt Do'Urden's name style

713 Reviews

Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:55 pm
BigBadBear says...

No, please continue. I want to get this picture perfect!

Would love help on this.

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:54 pm
kinzygirl223 says...

Wow that was really good short story.
I was very interested.
It made you feel warm when the kissed.
Great job.
You should write more.

If food is poetry, is not poetry also food?
— Joyce Carol Oates