z

Young Writers Society

I Was There

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:54 pm
onceuponatim3xo says...

Hello! Due to the amount of reviews you already have acquired, I might not be any help, so I'll just tell you my general opinions on the piece:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. I loved your writing style, it was very unique and kept me guessing the entire time. I also really liked the way that everything was spoken so matter-of-factly, the way it is written works flawlessly to convey the cold and rigid mood of the story.

The only thing I didn't understand was this part:
He was talking of challenges, of a lost job, an unexpected child. They pushed two people from each other.

At first I thought that "they" was the Joneses. Maybe consider re-wording it to something like "The struggles had pushed the two from each other." or something similar.

Excellent work!
-Once
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
-Buddha

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:48 pm
misstoria says...

This was pretty good, I liked the style of writing you used for this. Keep it up!
You are more than the choices that you've made, you are more than the sum of your past mistakes. You are more than the problems you create, You'v been remade.

http://writemeaway.blogspot.com/

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:05 pm
Teardrop says...

Hi! Teardrop here! First of all, wow. This was really original and beautiful. I couldn't find anything, but I thought that you could have explained the reason they're fighting or elaborated a bit more. But, really that's all I can say. I really enjoyed everything. Nice job!

Thank you so much for entering!

~Tear
And are the doctors dancing in, while the ambulances sing. Another boy without a sharper knife. The moment, that's where I kill the conversation, wrap this up with a knife that loves to feel. How do you know how deep to go before it's real?
- Yeah Boy And Doll Face ~ Pierce The Veil

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:42 pm
AmeliaCogin says...

Hi, I loved this story. Very imaginative! Your writing flows really well. There were a few things I found confusing, but I'm not picking them out because other reviews have already done so. Anyway, you've had enough constructive critism - you deserve praise for this story - well done! :)

1737 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1737
Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:02 am
BluesClues says...

Hello, and thank you for entering my contest, "The Little Things."

First of all, let me just say how much I love this story. I kinda wish I'd written it, lol. It's exactly the kind of short story that really interests me. I loved how you had a lot of short scenes, hardly any dialogue, and how you really showed things rather than told them. Also you had a lot of really nice little moments. I love that neither Mr. nor Mrs. Jones is given a first name, and I love that the only line of dialogue spoken by either of them is "I love you."

The weeks kind of threw me - just the fact that you started at week three, not week one, and then at the end skipped from week ten to week thirty-eight. I would suggest picking more interval weeks, rather than going three, four, five, six, etc, so that the last gap doesn't feel so odd, but I know you really can't do that, because otherwise Mrs. Jones would be getting noticeably pregnant, so why would she have to tell him the news?

The only thing I really have a complaint about is the way you ended each week - I liked it, I liked the repetition, but in some spots it felt very awkward. I think the most awkward one was "They were doing it again. Why couldn't they keep it up?" Like I said, I like the repetition, but in some weeks I think you should dispense with it - I'd rather see a little less repetition than constant, awkward repetition.

Other than this, though, I loved the story. Sadly I don't know yet if you've won the contest, however, because I still have eight of them left to read. Hopefully I'll have results for everyone soon!

~Blue

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:39 pm
View Likes
hopeispeace says...

I really enjoyed reading this . . . Especially the ending. the way you wrote it made it captivating from start to finish.
Bravo!
~HopeisPeace

When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann