z

Young Writers Society

Perfectly Flawed

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Daisuki says...

Note Before Reading:
This is a very, very, very rough draft! I have been having writer's block lately, so need lots, lots, lots of help! I don't think I have enough detail, and dialouge may be awkward at times. I am really not used to writing this genre - this is actually my first time trying out something like this, so please forgive me and don't be afraid to rip it apart in your reviews, as long as it helps me improve. There is a poem that goes along with this story called Ludicrous Love, if you would check it out (viewtopic.php?t=77641). Also, there are two doodles of the characters here: viewtopic.php?t=77571 (the second and third pictures). Oh, and one more thing - I think there is going to be a final section to wrap the whole story up, but I need to write that, so I'm sorry if this one doesn't have a great ending.

This is not a romance story, I'm regretting that I put it in the 'Romance' genre. Very sorry about that!! So, here goes the story of Taiyo and Aiko...

Dang it. Deep crimson blood that was almost black rolled down the thumb I held in the air. My brow furrowed as I examined the wound - a small nick I had gotten from ripping off a hangnail. Hangnails irritate me to no end, thus I’ve received countless injuries the same way. It’s weird but – I gazed at the blood, glinting in the glare of the classroom lights. A flickering smile crossed my face – the blood is kinda pretty.

I think I knew at the time how bizarre I looked, sitting at my desk and staring at the scarlet drop slowly creeping down my finger. Even if I didn’t, I was promptly reminded with a sharp glare from one of my sorta-friends, followed by hushed whisperings of, “Eh... What’s she doing?” Sigh. Maybe I’m not fit to have a social life.

Lord, I prayed, Thank you for my parents that love me. Thank you that I can live in a comfortable house. I’m so grateful for these things… but… is there something… something missing?

I shut my eyes tight, looking deeply the cavernous void I felt somewhere in my life. Was it a gap between reality and my own little world? Or was it the hole between me and my peers? I rejected others for excluding me, yet sometimes I couldn’t stand being alone. The thoughts swirling in my head just made me want to scream!

This is not to say everyone in my school is a jerk. There are so many kind people, but it seems that I’m the problem. The way I think, the way I see the world seems to be different from everyone else. Even I don’t know what’s going on in my head sometimes. Somehow, at the begining of my life, I chose to look through a ruby while others picked an emerald. I chose to sit in the rain, to watch, as everyone else bathed in the sun. So I understand what it’s like to be those good people around me. They want to be hospitable to the girl sitting in the corner, yet at the same time if we don’t really click it just doesn’t work. Conversation is forced. It’s the sad truth.

Class was beginning, so I hurriedly shoved the wounded thumb into my mouth and got rid of the blood that way, despite piercing dagger looks from the people around me. My blood always tasted like metal, and I didn’t particularly enjoy the sensation nor hate it. All I knew was that I resented using napkins or paper towels to clean up the mess. Who want to have a bloody tissue staring at you all day? Why not just use the natural way? In my mind, every reason pointed toward my method as the most logical.

Hah. Logic. Like the world really runs on logic.

“New student today!” my teacher announced with her annoyingly bright smile. What is wrong with me? Why am I so bitter? “He just arrived. Please come up here and introduce yourself. Everyone pay attention.”

A boy I hadn’t noticed before stood up roughly from his desk in the back. His longer, spiky hair threw shadows across his eyes and he was wearing a grey sleeveless sweatshirt with an odd pattern on the front. It looked to me like a bird spreading its wings and soaring in front of the sun. The base shape was a red diamond, but from the central image emerged black feather-like, sweeping strokes that portrayed power and swoosh! The design in itself suggested movement. As he walked to the front of the classroom, his posture was very straight, but his head kept looking at the floor.

“I am Taiyo Sato.” Finally lifting his gaze, the black bangs revealed an Asian face that held the promise of a smile, though at the time no emotion showed.

“Do you want to tell us anything about yourself?” the teacher asked. “Where did you move here from?”

“Not far.”

“Oh… well, I’m sure the other students will love to hear about all that later. Everyone please welcome Taiyo warmly and…” She scanned the room for a victim. Unfortunately, right at that moment I was distracted by a bug on the ceiling, and the teacher pounced. “Aiko, why don’t you show Taiyo around and make sure he knows where he’s going?”

I never understood why the teachers always pose that sentence as a question. It’s not like we can say, “No, I don’t think so. Ask someone else,” or anything. I reluctantly nodded my head.

“Good. You can sit down now, Taiyo.”

The kid looked troublesome, just the kind of person to tease me about how weird I am. My jaw involuntarily bit on my upper lip and I was starting to dread having to talk to him. At the end of class when the bell rang, I hesitantly walked over to his desk as he was gathering his books. He barely glanced up at me as he slung his backpack over his shoulder. I stared at his back for a while. It was straight, sturdy. Then he finally turned around.

“Uh… hi?” I greeted quite ungracefully. “I’m Aiko Sanaka. Do you know where your next class is?”

He nodded and replied in an unexpectedly quiet voice, “I was shown all my classes on a tour yesterday.” His voice was very strong despite the low volume, but there was something in the expression that was different from most teenage boys.

He knows his way around. Maybe I won’t be needed after all.

“So… I can go then? I guess I’ll see you around.” Almost relieved, I turned around and started to head to my next class when something stopped me. I looked back, and there he was, his head down and his hand firmly grasping the collar of my shirt almost as a young child would.

Still gazing at the floor, he asked timidly, “Will you still come with me? I’ve never been in a school this big.”

I think I almost laughed. Not at him, but at the thought that someone so intimidating could have such an innocent demeanor. For the first time that day I smiled and, surprised, he looked up at me with naïve, childlike eyes and smiled back warmly.

“Thank you, Aiko!” His head cocked in the most sincere and natural way. Looking back, how could I have ever seen anything but this socialable kid?

It turned out his next class was the same as mine – Algebra with Mrs. Takumi. The classes are usually organized alphabetically, so I expected to be in at least a few of his. The idea didn’t seem so bad anymore. Walking down the hallway was surprisingly comfortable, and I found out a lot more about Taiyo.

“I lived about an hour away from here,” he explained. “But my family wanted a bigger house because I just got twin siblings a few years ago. They’re growing fast.” For a moment, Taiyo seemed caught up in some memory, but he soon returned. “My old school wasn’t as big as this one. I’m sorry for making you come with me.”

“Oh.” I didn’t really hear what he said; I was too distracted. Looking over at him, I could see that he was only slightly taller than me with dark hair and eyes. When you first glance at him he seems like a troublemaker, a delinquent. Looking closer, sometimes you could notice little gestures that were childlike and sweet. Somehow I felt a connection to the boy – he was different.

An irritating ringing assaulted my senses as the lunch bell went off. Gathering my things, I was startled to find Taiyo suddenly behind me. With a jerk I launched from my seat and stumbled madly backwards, almost crashing to the floor. I regained my balance as fast as I could, but some students were still peering at us worridly and wondering if they should move farther away.

“Taiyo! Don’t sneak up on people like that!” I whispered agressively. My fist met his arm, though not too roughly. He seemed unfazed by the action and only laughed, holding up his hands submissively. Had we really just met? It felt like we were childhood friends and, to be honest, the whole thing amazed me. I had never talked to someone this way – so relaxed and at ease.

“Sorry,” he apologized, grinning. As we walked into the hall, kids rushed by in a noisy river, anxious to get to lunch. Outside the school, we were just heading towards the tables outside the cafeteria when some of my classmates approached us in a cheerful assembly.

“Hey Taiyo!” one of them, a girl, called. The whole group swarmed around Taiyo. Soon I was pushed to the edges with more and more people coming between Taiyo and me. In a moment, I was shoved out of the group to stumble backwards, stunned. All the students laughed cheerily, not noticing me at all, asking questions and joking with Taiyo.

“Where are you from?”
“You’re cute Taiyo!”
“You want to hang out sometime?”

All I seemed to be able to do was stare vacantly at the crowd. The group was so thick I had lost sight of Taiyo behind all the people. I wanted to reach out, to pull him back to my side, because I felt that once he was gone he would never come back. Here I was – on the outside, alone, and simply observing a loud and exciting scene. It was always like this. Always. No one ever thought to include me. For some reason, my eyes became damp and suddenly there was a single, lonely tear streaming down my face. Why was I crying? Wasn’t it always like this? And, come to think of it…

…isn’t this…
…my fault?

I never tried to fit in, never tried to conform. I stuck to my strange ways and didn’t care what people thought of me, yet I still wished for friends. It’s an impossible situation, I thought.

My shoulders stiffened as sobs racked my body and my chest tightened. A rage toward myself welled up in my heart, forcing silent tears to flow in rivulets down my face. This was worse than bullying – this was isolation! And it was my fault! The realization shook my emotional foundation as I walked to the bathrooms, leaving a wake of tears in my path. I ate lunch there, alone and not expecting to ever talk to Taiyo again. Once he met the normal kids at this school, he would realize how dumb I am and probably ignore me like all the rest of them. I had to admit, I would desperately miss that innocent smile, that warm aura. Pulling my shirt collar to wipe my face, I imagined I could still sense where he had reached out and touched me.

Students around scurried out of my way the next class, avoiding me even more than normal. Anxious glances were cast at my hunched, depressed figure, surrounded as I was by a dark cloud of misery. My footsteps were mere shuffles, my short hair untidy and ignored. I would never get the chance talk to Taiyo again, and it was affecting me more than I had anticipated. He was just so nice that anyone would want to be near him. I envied the person who got to become his closest friend.

I sat down and immediately slumped in my chair, covering my head with my arms. I didn’t want anyone to see my red and puffy face. I didn’t want them to know I was crying, because that would lead to questions that I couldn’t answer. I felt disheartened and out of sorts until suddenly, there was a hand ruffling my hair. My head jerked up to face the bright smile of-
Taiyo!

“Hey!” I exclaimed, eyes wide. For some reason my spirit got really excited and a joyful thought struck me like a stone to my temple, He’s still here!

“Hey,” he replied. Now he was talking to me! Could it get any better? “Are you okay?”

“Yes,” I almost whispered, feeling lighthearted and relived. “I’m okay now. Thank you.”

“For what?” he asked, confused. He tilted his head in that same puppy-dog way, and I could smell his distinctive scent.

I shook my head. “Nothing. Nevermind.”

“What is it?”
“Nothing.”
“Tell me!” he whined, putting his hand on the top of my head and shaking gently.
“No chance.”
“Come on, please…”
“Uh-uh.”

I turned away, trying to wipe my eyes and lighten the bright flush of my cheeks. Though my smile was genuine now, would anyone notice I had been crying? Right after thinking this, Taiyo grabbed my chin, forcing my face towards his. I averted my eyes hastily. “You’ve been crying, haven’t you?”

Guess that answers that question.

“You don’t want people to see you crying, either, right?” he said, his brow furrowing in concern. Man, he’s good.

“Well, it doesn’t matter, I’m okay now!” I assured, pulling away from his hand and putting on my best happy front, though a lingering sniff gave away my true emotions.

“Yes, it does matter. Can I help?” he offered. He seemed to go into deep thought. He knew I was agonizing over my red face, but I didn’t think there was anything he could do. Turns out I was wrong.

“How could you- ?” I started, but before I could finish, he had run to his backpack. What was he planning? I sensed that Taiyo would go to great lengths to help someone in need, and the thought made me very nervous.

He appeared behind my chair, holding something in his hand. How does he even do that – materialize so unexpectedly? I could feel him towering over where I sat, his presence clearly defined.

“Sorry,” he apologized with a grin before he grabbed my hair, pulling my head back and dumping his bottle of water on my face. The water ran sleek down my cheeks, rushing, splashing down below. When Taiyo let go, I simply stayed there with my head looking straight towards the ceiling, too surprised to even move.

The teacher, eating a snack at her desk, looked over at us and didn’t know what to think. For a moment, everyone in the classroom was silent and staring. “Detention!” shrieked the teacher, breaking the tense atmosphere. “Taiyo, what were you thinking!?”

“Sorry, ma’am,” he apologized, though a smile still twitched at the corners of his mouth.

I was stunned. I sat staring into space as my hand slowly reached up to touch a piece of my soaking wet hair. I… I was starting to see why he had done that. Inexorably, now I was the center of sympathy. To others, my face was obviously wet from the water and red from the embarrassment. I looked down at my clothes and noticed that they were completely dry – when he had pulled my head back, the extra water had simply gone on the floor. But still, Taiyo had made himself appear as the bad guy for my sake.

Oddly enough, it was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for me. I offered to help him clean up the water on the floor, but the teacher wouldn’t allow it. She simply wrote an after-school detention pass and ordered him back to his desk, her eyes threatening murder (or at least Saturday School) if he acted up again. Class went on as usual, despite hushed giggles and whispers.

After school, I waited for Taiyo in the spot we had arranged to meet, and he came running up. His chest was heaving as his breath came in rasps, and he kept having to lean on his knees.

Through pants, he finally managed to gasp out a complete sentence. “I have to go serve my detention, but I’ll see you tomorrow, right?”

I had thought about it and decided I needed to do something to show my appreciation. “I’ll wait for you through your detention, but then can you come over to my house? Please?”

“Aiko, I’d love to but I have to watch my siblings after school and- ”

“It’s fine!” I interrupted. “You can bring them too, okay? Just please come.”

“Alright,” he agreed. “But I got to go now!” He rushed off and left me to ponder how I would spend the hour or so waiting for him.

Ah, there he is. A blur came racing towards me as I sat waiting outside the Discipline Office for Taiyo. He crashed into me with a thump, black hair brushing my face. Before I knew it I was surrounded by strong arms and pressed close to a grey, sleeveless sweatshirt with a strange design on the front.

“Aiko!” Taiyo cried, embracing me and pinning my hands to my side in the process. I squirmed uneasily.

“What is it? What happened?” I asked, tilting my head to look up at him. His face was anguished and he teetered on the brink of tears. Had he been bullied? I swore to myself that if anyone had been mean to him I would personally murder them.

Taiyo ceased his bone-crushing hug and held me at a distance by my shoulders, his eyes darting to meet each of mine. What was wrong?

“Aiko, someone told me that you cut yourself. You know, like you’re depressed or something.”

“What!?” I exclaimed angrily. “Who told you that?”

He looked away. “Some girl, just a couple minutes ago. But is it true? I don’t want you hurting yourself.”

He…
…he cared that much?

Taiyo’s face held genuine worry – he was really concerned about me. I smiled and tried to imitate the tilt of his head.

“It’s okay, Taiyo, I don’t cut myself. Don’t worry.”

“But… but…” he stammered, his lip trembling.

“I think this is a misunderstanding. Get your siblings, come over to my house, and I’ll explain later. Okay? Don’t worry.” I reached up and ruffled his rough black hair, but I felt I wasn’t too skilled at comforting people.

Taiyo bit his lip, but apparently decided to trust me and nodded his head. We started walking home – we went the same way for the first part of our trip. Our footsteps synchronized in a steady rhythm. I listened to the resounding slap of our shoes on the concrete and thought about how baffled I was as to how one person could be this kind. I had experienced love and consideration, but only from my parents and family – very rarely from anyone my age. I felt desperate to return that kindness in any way I could. But for now, a subject change would help.

“So what are your siblings like?” I asked, as this seemed like a topic he would enjoy talking about. It was.

His face lit up, bright as a desert sun. “My brother and sister are the best! They’re six-year-old twins and I... Well, to be honest, they're two of the most important people in my life.” He looked away, slightly embarassed at the confession. “Ryuu, my brother, is as happy as ever and he loves playing with me. But…” Taiyo’s face fell. It grew so quiet between us I thought I heard his heart break. “Something seems to be bothering Hina. She’s not as loud and positive as usual. It makes me so sad… I can’t do anything. I’m supposed to be her big brother, someone strong in her life. Yet, I'm not even strong enough to know what's wrong.” Taiyo’s long dark bangs fell over his eyes when he stared down at the sidewalk. It was as if the answers to all life’s questions were written there.

“I think you're definately strong enough, Taiyo,” I barely whispered. I felt I had no right to be saying this, but I said it anyway. "Please don't give up." The road where we parted ways was approaching, so I waved goodbye and turned my eyes away from the miserable boy walking in the opposite direction.

It’s such a nice day. So warm.

“Hey Aiko!” Taiyo ran up to the place where I was sitting in the grass, just outside my house. The sun was behind his head, so as I looked up at him all I saw was the dark shadow of his face, but I thought I could vaguely see a silhouette around his head. A bandana, perhaps? Either way, his twinkling eyes outshone everything. A young boy and girl followed him, both with the same face and dark hair. Taiyo plopped down beside me and called the young children over. “These are my brother and sister – Ryuu and Hina. Say hi to Aiko, okay?”

“Hi Aiko!” Ryuu smiled brightly and waved his tiny hand. Just like a mini-Taiyo, he ran up to me and gave me a big hug. “Let’s be friends, okay?” I beamed back and nodded. Ryuu laughed merrily and jumped up and down.

Hina was farther away - staring straight ahead into space with a downcast expression. Her weight shifted from foot to foot, and the corners of her mouth were turned down in a frown. You could almost see a dank cloud of sorrow above her head.

“Hina, come say hi,” Taiyo beckoned. The young girl looked at the ground and bit her lip nervously.

There was something enveloping, circling like a mist. Emotions swirled from the girl, grey and depressing. I recognized the feeling. It was the type of atmosphere around someone who was lonely. Someone who was starved for love, or at least a different kind of love.

“Hina, come here a second,” I called. The girl looked up, surprised. Her gaze immediately shifted to Taiyo for guidance. Taiyo nodded his head and encouraged her on.

Hina hesitantly and with tiny steps walked toward me. In an impulse, I did something I probably never would have done if I hadn't met Taiyo. I'm still not sure if it was his courage reaching out to me, or simply his bright energy. Either way, I extended my arms to Hina and did what I thought Taiyo would want me to do. The theory, I think, was that hugs seemed to be magical in Taiyo’s family.

Immediately, Hina’s faced brightened, and her eyes lit up.

“You’re a girl!” she exclaimed. I was not expecting this. “I thought you were a boy like my brothers.”

“Come on, Hina. How many times do I have to tell you? Just because people have short hair does not mean they’re a boy,” Taiyo scolded.

I had just been staring at her up until this point, but now I laughed. “It’s okay, I’ve actually had that happen several times.”

Hina was pouting at Taiyo, but she turned to me and spread her arms wide. “Will you be my sister?” Her head cocked in the exact same way that Taiyo’s did. I nodded. She shrieked in delight. “I’ve always wanted a sister!” I was buried in her little hug.

“I wanna hug Aiko, too!” Ryuu protested, and he too threw open his arms and joined in the embrace.

I knew what was coming next. Taiyo grinned - he knew that I realized it. “My turn!” he shouted, and wrapped his arms around all three of us. We tumbled over and crashed into a heap. Panting, and laughing in the sun, I prayed desperately that things could always be like this.

Taiyo sat up cross-legged, and leaned his elbows on his knees. “So if you’re my sister’s sister, does that mean you’re my sister too?”

I pondered the thought. “I guess so.”

“Alright!” Taiyo exclaimed, tackling his new sister – me, head locking her and ruffling her hair until she threatened to kill him through bursts of laughter. “Okay, okay! Your hair was a mess to begin with, anyways,” he teased. I shoved him away.

“Oh. Almost forgot,” Taiyo said, reaching up and taking the black bandana that was around his forehead. As I looked closer, I could see it had some scribbles that could almost be made out to say ‘Ryuu’, ‘Hina’, and ‘Taiyo’. “Ryuu made this at school. He said I was supposed to give it to someone special to me, and that person only wears it when they're around me. So here. See, it had all our spirits on it, so even when you don't wear it, we'll be with you.”

He held the bandana out to me, and it dangled there, gently rustling in the wind. My arm reached out to take it as my vision blurred behind soft tears. I stared at the piece of fabric in my hand. Ryuu, Hina, Taiyo. So this is what it felt like to have siblings. To have friends.
Last edited by Daisuki on Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Oh, I wish I was punk-rocker with flowers in my hair.

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:29 am
View Likes
ofir says...

I love this! You did great!!! It's very hard to write about bullying, but you portrayed the emotions very clearly - you did very well there. I love your characters and the plot line and the descriptions! Good job!
Now, since I want this to be helpful too, on to the review.
What I like is in blue
What I don't like is in red
My comments are in green.
Let's go!
I am not many things. I am not like the main character in a shoujo manga. I am not cheery, optimistic, outgoing or even cute. Above all, I am most definitely not normal. Shoujo manga is strictly fantasy to me, okay, so, I don't really like this beginning. You are starting off very negatively - I think you were trying to go for that, but in my mind this is pushing the whole 'dark' image.
Also, this way you are telling the readers about the character, instead of showing. Sort of like starting off with 'the character is this and this and this', right off the bat, instead of letting us grow used to her and understanding it all on our own during the read. And I don't like that much. You might want to look into that, but in the end, it's all your choice :)
The fact your character says that she is strange is also very corny, and is usually cliche - however, I think it's fine with this story because I, personally, got a pretty fresh feeling from it. Besides, the whole topic of bullying is cliched enough as is - but you did well.
Okay, I know I have a lot to comment on, but please bare with me. So, I don't think the shoujo manga reference is neccessary. You don't talk about mangas during the rest of the story, and you compare between the main character and a shoujo manga heroine - A, not all shoujo manga characters are cheery, optimistic and all that (though most of 'em are, you're right - including them all, though, is incorrect), and B, it probably would most likely not bother me much, except for the fact that it leads to your character telling us about her self in a very telly way.
and I never expected anything even close to that degree of understanding between me and some guy.
I think this tells us a whole lot more about your character than the begining. I love this sentence! It's so cute!
It
will
never
happen. Just so you know, it's not usually acceptable to do the spaces thing. The line itself is good! Oh, and it tells us that the character is pretty firm minded in her opinions ("will never happen", firm thoughts), so this is a way of being showy instead of telly, for example

So please don’t start off reading this thinking it will be a touching, perfect romance manga-type story. That way, you’ll begin exactly as I did. Very good! I feel like I'm a part of the story!This is a tale of two best friends, rejected by society, who found acceptance in each other.

Dang it. Deep crimson blood that was almost black rolled down the thumb I held in the air. My brow furrowed as I examined the wound - a small nick I had gotten from ripping off a hangnail. Hangnails irritate me to no end, thus I’ve received countless injuries the same way. I love the way you phrased this! Wow, she's strange, ain't she? XD It’s weird but – I gazed at the blood, glinting in the glare of the classroom lights, and a flickering smile crossed my face Just letting you know that the sentence - while being really pretty (great descriptions!!!) and points to more weirdness - is very long, and disrupts the flow of her thoughts. Here's a suggestion: It's weird but - I gazed at the blood, glinting in the glare of the classroom lights - the blood is kinda pretty. A flickering smile crossed my face. Or you can keep it the way you have it, I love it so much as it is!– the blood is kinda pretty.

I think I knew at the time how bizarre I looked, sitting at my desk and staring at the scarlet drop slowly creeping down my finger. Even if I didn’t, I was promptly reminded with a sharp glare from one of my sorta-friends, followed by hushed whisperings of, “Eh... What’s she doing?”
Sigh. Maybe I’m not fit to have a social.social... what?

Lord, I prayed, Thank you for my parents that love me. Thank you that I can live in a comfortable house. I’m so grateful for these things… but… is there something…?I'm not getting what you wanted to say. Is there something - what?

I shut my eyes tight, looking deeply the cavernous void I felt somewhere in my life. Was it a gap between reality and my own little world? Or was it the hole between me and my peers? I rejected others for excluding me, yet sometimes I couldn’t stand being alone.
Beautiful job describing emotions!

This is not to say everyone in my school is a jerk. There are so many kind people, but it seems that I’m the problem. You just saved your chracter from being annoyingly perfect. She is aware that she isn't perfect - that there are nice people around and that it seems to be her! Good job!!!No one can figure me out. No one realizes how I think.AWW, that's not very nice of her. The way you phrase it makes it sound like she is pushing the responsibility away from herself, saying - no one can figure me out - it is their fault, if they only figured me out then it would be fine. I would really suggest changing that. Really. Even I sometimes don’t know what’s going to in my head It would flow a whole lot better if you wrote, Even I don't know what's going on in my head sometimes. Besides that, it's great! She sounds confused, and I like the fact we get to see her emotions!. So I understand what it’s like to be those good people around me. They want to be hospitable to the girl sitting in the corner, yet at the same time if we don’t really click it just doesn’t work. Conversation is forced. It’s the sad truth.

Class was beginning, so I hurriedly shoved the wounded thumb into my mouth and got rid of the blood that way, despite piercing dagger looks from the people around me. My blood always tasted like metal, and I didn’t particularly enjoy the sensation nor hate it. All I knew was that I resented using napkins or paper towels to clean up the mess. Who want to have a bloody tissue staring at you all day? Why not just use the natural way? In my mind, every reason pointed toward my method as the most logical.

“New student today!” my teacher announced with her annoyingly bright smile. What is wrong with me? Why am I so bitter? “He just arrived. Please come up here and introduce yourself. Everyone pay attention.”

A boy I hadn’t noticed before stood up roughly from his desk in the back. His longer, spiky hair threw shadows across his eyes and he was wearing a grey sleeveless sweatshirt with an odd pattern on the front. It looked to me like a bird spreading its wings and soaring in front of the sun. The base shape was a red diamond, but from the central image emerged black feather-like, sweeping strokes that portrayed power and swoosh! The design in itself suggested movement. Okay, do not get me wrong - I love the descriptions! But it's sort of getting in the way of the plot... A whole paragraph just on the clothes... I get that the shirt is symbolic (nicely done, by the way) but it's a lot.For pants he simply had on very baggy, dark blue jeans. As he walked to the front of the classroom, his posture was very straight, but his head kept looking at the floor. This really helped me imagine him!

“I am Taiyo Sato.” Finally lifting his gaze, the black bangs revealed an Asian face that held the promise of a smile, though at the time no emotion showed.

“Do you want to tell us anything about yourself?” the teacher asked. “Where did you move here from?”

“Not far.” I really liked this for some reason :)

“Oh… well, I’m sure the other students will love to hear about all that later. Everyone please welcome Taiyo warmly and…” She scanned the room for a victim. Unfortunately, right at that moment I was distracted by a bug on the ceiling, and the teacher pounced. “Aiko, why don’t you show Taiyo around and make sure he knows where he’s going?”

I never understood why the teachers always pose that sentence as a question. It’s not like we can say, “No, I don’t think so. Ask someone else,” or anything. I reluctantly nodded my head.

“Good. You can sit down now, Taiyo.”

The kid looked troublesome, just the kind of person to tease me about how weird I am. My jaw involuntarily bit on my upper lip and I was starting to dread having to talk to him. At the end of class when the bell rang, I hesitantly walked over to his desk as he was gathering his books. He barely glanced up at me as he slung his backpack over his shoulder. I stared at his back for a while. It was straight, sturdy. Then he finally turned around. Lots of her thoughts and emotions. Terrific.

“Uh… hi?” I greeted quite ungracefully. “I’m Aiko Sanaka. Do you know where your next class is?”

He nodded and replied in an unexpectedly quiet voice, “I was shown all my classes on a tour yesterday.” His voice was very strong despite the low volume, but there was something in the expression that was different from most teenage boys.

He knows his way around. Maybe I won’t be needed after all.

“So… I can go then? I guess I’ll see you around.” Almost relieved, I turned around and started to head to my next class when something stopped me. I looked back, and there he was, his head down and his hand firmly grasping the collar of my shirt almost as a young child would.

Still gazing at the floor, he asked timidly, “Will you still come with me? I’ve never been in a school this big.”
Well, this is unexpected! I love the twist to his personality. Her reaction is great! I'm cloroing too many things blue, so I just want you to know that I love it but will not highlight it
I think I almost laughed. Not at him, but at the thought that someone so intimidating could have such an innocent demeanor. For the first time that day I smiled and, surprised, he looked up at me with naïve, childlike eyes and smiled back warmly.

“Thank you, Aiko!” His head cocked in the cutest way, like a puppy-dog watching its belovedword feels out of place, see if you want to change that..

It turned out his next class was the same as mine – Algebra with Mrs. White. The classes are usually organized alphabetically, so I expected to be in at least a few of his. The idea didn’t seem so bad anymore. Walking down the hallway was surprisingly comfortable, and I found out a lot more about Taiyo.

“I lived about an hour away from here,” he explained. “But my family wanted a bigger house because I just got twin siblings a few years ago. They’re growing fast.” For a moment, Taiyo seemed caught up in some memory, but he soon returned. “My old school wasn’t as big as this one. I’m sorry for making you come with me.”

“Oh.” I didn’t really hear what he said. I think this should be ; or : instead of a period, but I'm not sure...I was too distracted. Looking over at him, I could see that he was only slightly taller than me with dark hair and eyes. When you first glance at him he seems like a troublemaker, a delinquent. Looking closer, sometimes you could notice little gestures that were childlike and sweet. Somehow I felt a connection to the boy – he was different.

An irritating ringing assaulted my senses as the lunch bell went off. Gathering my things, I was startled to find Taiyo suddenly behind me. I must have jumped about six feet in the air.

“Taiyo! Don’t sneak up on people like that!” I shouted, battering him with my fists, I know you're aware of this part, and explained it with her feeling like childhood friends with him, but if she is this angry\annoyed over it, enough to hit him, it would be better to describe it more than just jumping in the air (it doesn't sound very alarming). If she is doing it jokingly, then maybe you can add a sentence about that in, because it wasn't very clear (at least to me) though not hard. He seemed unfazed by the action and only laughed, holding up his hands submissively. Had we really just met? It felt like we were childhood friends and, to be honest, the whole thing amazed me. I had never talked to someone this way – so relaxed and at ease.

“Sorry,” he apologized, grinning. As we walked into the hall, kids rushed by in a noisy river, anxious to get to lunch. Outside the school, we were just heading towards the tables outside the cafeteria when some of my classmates approached us in a cheerful assembly.

“Hey Taiyo!” one of them, a girl oooh, protectiveness!, called. The whole group swarmed around Taiyo. Soon I was pushed to the edges with more and more people coming between Taiyo and me. In a moment, I was shoved out of the group to stumble backwards, stunned. All the students laughed cheerily, not noticing me at all, asking questions and joking with Taiyo.

“Where are you from?”
“You’re cute Taiyo!”
“You want to hang out sometime?”

All I seemed to be able to do was stare vacantly at the crowd. The group was so thick I had lost sight of Taiyo behind all the people. I wanted to reach out, to pull him back to my side, because I felt that once he was gone he would never come back. Here I was – on the outside, alone, and simply observing a loud and exciting scene. It was always like this. Always. No one ever thought to include me. For some reason, my eyes became damp and suddenly there was a single, lonely tear streaming down my face. Why was I crying? Wasn’t it always like this? And, come to think of it…

…isn’t this…
…my fault?

I LOVE THIS. I nearly cried reading this. She realizes that it's her fault - and you did it so beautifully!
I never tried to fit in, never tried to conform. I stuck to my strange ways and didn’t care what people thought of me, yet I still wished for friends. It’s an impossible situation, I thought. Perhaps I should just give upI didn't really find this clear, give up what? Being strange or wishing to have friends?.

My shoulders stiffened as sobs racked my body and my chest tightened. A rage toward myself welled up in my heart, forcing silent tears to flow in rivulets down my face. Need I say beautiful?This was worse than bullying – this was isolation! And it was my fault! The realization shook my emotional foundation as I walked to the bathrooms, leaving a wake of tears in my path. I ate lunch there, alone and not expecting to ever talk to Taiyo again. Once he met the normal kids at this school, he would realize how dumb I am and probably ignore me like all the rest of them. I had to admit, I would desperately miss that innocent smile, that warm aura. Pulling my shirt collar to wipe my face, I imagined I could still smell where he had reached out and touched me.

Students around scurried out of my way the next class, avoiding me even more than normal. Anxious glances were cast at my hunched, depressed figure, surrounded as I was by a dark cloud of misery. My footsteps were mere shuffles, my short hair untidy and ignored. I would never get the chance talk to Taiyo again, and it was affecting me more than I had anticipated. He was just so nice that anyone would want to be near him. I envied the person who got to become his closest friend.This makes me think of what you said at the begining, about them being best friends. And that made me smile :)

I sat down and immediately slumped in my chair, covering my head with my armsGreat descriptions. I didn’t want anyone to see my red and puffy face. I didn’t want them to know I was crying, because that would lead to questions that I couldn’t answer. I felt disheartened and out of sorts until suddenly, there was a hand ruffling my hair. My head jerked up to face the bright smile of-
Taiyo!This was very obvious, but I still like it a lot! I was really on the edge of my seat while reading this, wanting to know what he'd tell her!

“Hey!” I exclaimed, eyes wide. For some reason my spirit got really excited and a joyful thought struck me like a stone to my temple, He’s still here!

“Hey,” he replied. Now he was talking to me! Could it get any better? “Are you okay?”

“Yes,” I almost whispered, feeling lighthearted and relived. “I’m okay now. Thank you.”

“For what?” he asked, confused. He tilted his head in that same puppy-dog way, and I could smell his distinctive scent.

I shook my head. “Nothing. Nevermind.”

“What is it?”
“Nothing.”
“Tell me!” he whined, putting his hand on the top of my head and shaking gently.
“No chance.”
“Come on, please…”
“Uh-uh.”

I turned away, trying to wipe my eyes and lighten the bright flush of my cheeks. Though my smile was genuine now, would anyone notice I had been crying? Right after thinking this, Taiyo grabbed my chin, forcing my face towards his. I averted my eyes hastily. “You’ve been crying, haven’t you?”

Guess that answers that question.

“You don’t want people to see you crying, either, right?” he said, his brow furrowing in concern. Man, he’s good.

“Well, it doesn’t matter, I’m okay now!” I assured, pulling away from his hand and putting on my best happy front, though a lingering sniff gave away my true emotions.

“Yes, it does matter. Can I help?” he offered. He seemed to go into deep thought. He knew I was agonizing over my red face, but I didn’t think there was anything he could do. Turns out I was wrong.

“How could you- ?” I started, but before I could finish, he had run to his backpack. What was he planning? I sensed that Taiyo would go to great lengths to help someone in need, and the thought made me very nervous.

He appeared behind my chair, holding something in his hand. How does he even do that – materialize so unexpectedly? I could feel him towering over where I sat, his presence clearly defined.

“Sorry,” he apologized with a grin before he grabbed my hair, pulling my head back and dumping his bottle of water on my face. The water ran sleek down my cheeks, rushing, splashing down below. When Taiyo let go, I simply stayed there with my head looking straight towards the ceiling, too surprised to move.

The teacher, eating a snack at her desk, looked over at us and didn’t know what to think[color=#00FF80]HAHAHAHAHA, I started laughing like crazy here! I can almost imagine her!
. For a moment, everyone in the classroom was silent and staring. “Detention!” shrieked the teacher, breaking the tense atmosphere. “Taiyo, what were you thinking!?”

“Sorry, ma’am,” he apologized, though a smile still twitched at the corners of his mouth.
[/color]
I was stunned. I sat staring into space as my hand slowly reached up to touch a piece of my soaking wet hair. I… I was starting to see why he had done that. Inexorably, now I was the center of sympathy. To others, my face was obviously wet from the water and red from the embarrassment. I looked down at my clothes and noticed that they were completely dry – when he had pulled my head back, the extra water had simply gone on the floor. But still, Taiyo had made himself appear as the bad guy for my sake.

Oddly enough, it was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for me. I offered to help him clean up the water on the floor, but the teacher wouldn’t allow it. She simply wrote an after-school detention pass and ordered him back to his desk, her eyes threatening murder (or at least Saturday School) if he acted up again. Class went on as usual, despite hushed giggles and whispers.

After school, I waited for Taiyo in the spot we had arranged to meet, and he came running up. His chest was heaving as his breath came in rasps, and he kept having to lean on his knees.

Through pants, he finally managed to gasp out a complete sentence. “I have to go serve my detention, but I’ll see you tomorrow, right?”

I had thought about it and decided I needed to do something to show my appreciation
. “I’ll wait for you through your detention, but then can you come over to my house? Please?"

“Aiko, I’d love to but I have to watch my siblings after school and- ”

“It’s fine!” I interrupted. “You can bring them too, okay? Just please come.”

“Alright,” he agreed. “But I got to go now!” He rushed off and left me to ponder how I would spend the hour or so waiting for him.

Ah, there he is. A blur came racing towards me as I sat waiting outside the Discipline Office for Taiyo. He crashed into me with a thump, black hair brushing my face. Before I knew it I was surrounded by strong arms and pressed close to a grey, sleeveless sweatshirt with a strange design on the front. Glad you repeated the shirt it :) and I love the hug description!

“Aiko!” Taiyo sobbedNot manly enough for his image.... I'm sorry, but I think a different phrasing would be better, embracing me and pinning my hands to my side in the process. I squirmed uneasily.

“What is it? What happened?” I asked, tilting my head to look up at him. His face was anguished and he teetered on the brink of tears. Had he been bullied? I swore to myself that if anyone had been mean to him I would personally murder them.

Taiyo ceased his bone-crushing hug and held me at a distance by my shoulders, his eyes darting to meet each of mine. What was wrong?

“Aiko, someone told me that you cut yourself. You know, like you’re depressed or something.”

He looked away. “Some girl, just a couple minutes ago. But is it true? I don’t want you hurting yourself.”

He…
…he cared that much?

Taiyo’s face held genuine worry – he was really concerned about me. I smiled and tried to imitate the tilt of his head.

“It’s okay, Taiyo, I don’t cut myself. Don’t worry.”

“But… but…,” he stammered, his lip trembling.

“I think this is a misunderstanding. Get your siblings, come over to my house, and I’ll explain later. Okay? Don’t worry.” I reached up and patted his rough black hair, but I felt I wasn’t too skilled at comforting people.
Wonderful!

Taiyo bit his lip, but apparently decided to trust me and nodded his head. We started walking home – we went the same way for the first part of our trip. Our footsteps synchronized in a steady rhythm. I listened to the resounding slap of our shoes on the concrete and thought about how baffled I was as to how one person could be this kind. I had experienced love and consideration, but only from my parents and family – very rarely from anyone my age. I felt desperate to return that kindness in any way I could. But for now, a subject change would help.

“So what are your siblings like?” I asked, as this seemed like a topic he would enjoy talking about. It was.

His face lit up, bright as a desert sun. “My brother and sister are the best! They’re six-year-old twins and I think they look up to me.This isn't that great for two reasons, A, it sounds like he's... kind of bragging? B, it sounds like information he would tell anybody gladly, and I think that Aiko has to be special, don't you?Well, I thought, you’re a pretty great person to look up to. “Ryuu, my brother, is as happy as ever and he loves playing with me. But…” Taiyo’s face fell. It grew so quiet between us I thought I heard his heart break. “Something seems to be bothering Hina. She’s not as loud and positive as usual. It makes me so sad… I can’t do anything. I’m supposed to be her big brother, her protector. This line is very cliche... rethink it?Yet, I can’t do anything to help.” Taiyo’s long dark bangs fell over his eyes when he stared down at the sidewalk as if the answers to all life’s questions were written there.

“Cheer up!” I encouraged. Just letting you know, the cheer up is rather awkward. I like it, but it is, so do what you will with the information :) The road where we parted ways was approaching, so I waved goodbye and turned my eyes away from the miserable boy walking in the opposite direction.

It’s such a nice day. So warm.

“Hey Aiko!” Taiyo ran up to the place where I was sitting in the grass, just outside my house. The sun was behind his head, so as I looked up at him all I saw was the dark shadow of his face, but I thought I could make out a black bandana tied around his head. A young boy and girl followed him, both with the same dark hair and eyes. Taiyo plopped down beside me and beckoned the young children over. “These are my brother and sister – Ryuu and Hina. Say hi to Aiko, okay?”

“Hi Aiko!” Ryuu smiled brightly and waved his tiny hand. Just like a mini-Taiyo, he ran up to me and gave me a big hug. “Let’s be friends, okay?” I beamed back and nodded. Ryuu laughed merrily and jumped up and down.

Hina was farther away - staring straight ahead into space with a downcast expression. Her weight shifted from foot to foot, and the corners of her mouth were turned down in a frown. You could almost see a dank cloud of sorrow above her head.

“Hina, come say hi.” Taiyo beckoned. The young girl looked at the ground and bit her lip nervously.

There was something enveloping, circling like a mist. Emotions swirled from the girl, grey and depressing. I recognized the feeling. It was the type of atmosphere around someone who was lonely. Someone who was starved for love, or at least a different kind of love.

“Hina, come here a second,” I called. The girl looked up, surprised. Her gaze immediately shifted to Taiyo for guidance. Taiyo nodded his head and encouraged her on.

Hina hesitantly and with tiny steps walked toward me. In an impulse, I reached out and hugged her. My theory was that hugs seemed to be magical in Taiyo’s family. Hina’s faced brightened, and her eyes lit up.
I LOVE this, just one thing - I know hugs are magical, but... it's a bit odd that Aiko is suddenly the savior... it's nice, but it's very abrupt. Either way, I like it.

“You’re a girl!” she exclaimed. I was not expecting this. “I thought you were a boy like my brothers.”

Hina, just because people have short hair does not mean they’re a boy. How many times do I have to tell you? I've witnessed many adults say this to their children, all awkward! It
s very funny :)
” Taiyo scolded.

I had just been staring at her up until this point, but now I laughed. “It’s okay, I’ve actually had that happen several times.”

Hina was pouting at Taiyo, but she turned to me and spread her arms wide. “Will you be my sister?” Her head cocked in the exact same way that Taiyo’s did. I nodded. She shrieked in delight. “I’ve always wanted a sister!” I was buried in her little hug.

“I wanna hug Aiko, too!” Ryuu protested, and he too threw open his arms and joined in the embrace.

I knew what was coming next. Taiyo grinned - he knew that I realized it. “My turn!” he shouted, and wrapped his arms around all three of us. We tumbled over and crashed into a heap. Panting, and laughing in the sun, I prayed desperately that things could always be like this.

Taiyo sat up cross-legged, and leaned his elbows on his knees. “So if you’re my sister’s sister, does that mean you’re my sister too?”

I pondered the thought. “I guess so.”

“Alright!” Taiyo exclaimed, tackling his new sister – me, head locking her and ruffling her hair until she threatened to kill him through bursts of laughter. “Okay, okay! Your hair was a mess to begin with, anyways,” he teased. I shoved him away.

“Oh. Almost forgot,” Taiyo said, reaching up and taking the black bandana that was around his forehead. As I looked closer, I could see it had some scribbles that could almost be made out to say ‘Ryuu’, ‘Hina’, and ‘Taiyo’. “Ryuu made this for me at school. It’s something that you give to someone special to you, something that they can only wear when they’re with you. So here.”
Um, if it's so important to Ryuu, why is he giving it to her...?

He held the bandana out to me, and it dangled there, gently rustling in the wind. My arm reached out to take it as my vision blurred behind soft tears. I stared at the piece of fabric in my hand. Ryuu, Hina, Taiyo. So this is what it felt like to have siblings. To have friends. Can't even tell you how much I love the ending

You made me highlight in blue too much! XD This was GREAT!!!Lovely descriptions, great plot, awesome characters...!
Give yourself a good old pat on the back because you did VERY well!
If you write more of this please PM me, I'd love to review it! And if you just need a review, feel free to PM me!
Thank you for the read!!!
Ofir
"if you were waiting for the opportune moment... that was it." - Captain Jack Sparrow

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:00 am
View Likes
ofir says...

I re-read it, and I love it! Wonderful! I'm not going to go line by line review, simply because I will have to highlight nearly everything blue :) I think the changes that you made really added to this piece. I love the begining now, and you cleared up whatever questions I had. Great job!
One thing for you to keep in mind (yes, I know it's almost petty XD)
“I think you're definately strong enough, Taiyo.” I barely whispered. Supposed to be a comma! Just for general knowledge, as far as I know, if someone is speaking (includes all the said, cried, and whatnot) you can't put a period. :)

I really appreciate the fact you listened to me, and keep in mind that whatever I say is just a suggestion and in the end you make the calls. You have a very distinct writing style and I enjoyed reading this very much!!!
Ofir
"if you were waiting for the opportune moment... that was it." - Captain Jack Sparrow

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:15 pm
Esther Sylvester says...

Daisuki! Hurrah, I finally get to read your story. I read it yesterday, but I couldn't review it at the time because I had to go to bed! But anyway, I'm going to let you know that I want to pick you up and squeeze you, because I adored this. It was so charming, the characters were well-fleshed out, and your style is quite easy to read -- it feels natural. The weaknesses in this story are more stylistic than fundamental, because as a whole this story is very solid. So this is going to be a short review. Still, I hope I can help you with some suggestions.

PLOT: A charming story about love and acceptance, the plot is simple yet endearing. It isn't boring at all, since you make us (the readers) relate really quickly. There are couple things that snagged me, though, so I will point them out here.

Firstly, here is a part that bothered me.

Ah, there he is. A blur came racing towards me as I sat waiting outside the Discipline Office for Taiyo. He crashed into me with a thump, black hair brushing my face. Before I knew it I was surrounded by strong arms and pressed close to a grey, sleeveless sweatshirt with a strange design on the front.

“Aiko!” Taiyo cried, embracing me and pinning my hands to my side in the process. I squirmed uneasily.

He…
…he cared that much?

This scene felt like it came out of the blue. It feels like a forced part of the story to make the readers realize that Taiyo cares enough for Aiko that he would come running for her. Afterall, you never mentioned that Aiko seemed depressed to her classmates. I think you should have some more fuel for this rumor beforehand in the story, so when Taiyo announces it readers won't feel like you just made up an excuse to show his affection, you know what I mean? This could qualify as a nitpick, but I still think it could help balance your story a bit.

Also, this is cute, and the characters have chemistry, but this doesn't have the feel of a romance story. The two are obviously going to be good friends, but it isn't for sure whether or not they'll end up together. He even calls her his sister at the end, which I thought was great, but still. I loved the ending so much that I'm not sure if I want you to change it, but maybe you could hint at them having potential of getting closer more. Right now it feels a little more General Fiction than Romance right now. Maybe I'm just hyper romantic and I can't take romantic hints! But maybe you could consider this.

I, like I said, adored this plot, and really there isn't much wrong with it at all. And if you don't want to, don't take my second point. All I can give you is suggestions.

CHARACTERS:

Holy cuteness overload Batman! I love your characters! And the little children. There aren't anymore main characters but THEY aren't important, ha. When you talked about the hangnail thing at the beginning of the story, I caught a giant glimpse of Aiko's character and I fell in love with her. Good job.

One problem that I have, though, is their names. No, I like the names, it's just their context. Are they in Japan or are they in America or some other English country? You do not specify. I find it odd that the two main characters have Japanese names, but their Teacher's name is Mrs. White, which is an English name. All you have to do is specify, or give more hints, as to where these characters live. Because Japanese-American names are actually unusual if they are born in America, it would be nice to specify.

Oh, and I'm going to say that Taiyo is cuter than a button, and I want to squeeze him too. He reminds me of a character from a novel I have in the works. (We'll see how THAT goes. :D )

Aiko changes a lot in this story, but Taiyo doesn't seem to change at all. This isn't a really important point, but I like to have my main characters both change a little by the end. It gives more conclusion. You don't have to do this. Your story is nearly perfect already, I just would like to see my little Taiyo grow.

FLOW: Your flow, or use of sentence structure, prose, and progression of story, is really good too. You have a few moments where it seems like something doesn't fit. One of these things being the first paragraph.

Pessimistic. Stubborn. Easily irritated. Not really the type of qualities you'd expect from a character of this genre. So please don’t start off reading this thinking it will be a touching, perfect romance story. That way, you’ll begin exactly as I did. This is a tale of two best friends, rejected by society, who found acceptance in each other.

This paragraph kind of pushes readers away by telling them what they should or shouldn't expect. It makes Aiko seem a little more mean than she really is, too. The paragraph after this is actually a great beginning. It gets right into the story and makes readers interested.

The other things are really small, and since you have a good eye, and I don't like to nitpick, you should be able to find them. Like when Aiko wonders how she will pass the time after she promises to meet up with Taiyo, a sentence saying how she did cope would be an interesting peep into her character. (Staring at a wall would be kind of funny, but I don't know if she would do that.)

OVERALL: I really didn't have much to point out, Daisuki. Your story was excellent. It made me go "Aw" at the end, it had likable characters, and the story was good too. My biggest points are to make sure that all of the pieces of the story fit together and are relevant. If you bring a scenario in out of the blue to bond characters, but don't give foundation for the scenario, it drives readers away. When your characters are talking in sequence without dialogue tags or description, AKA

"I love you."

"No you don't."

put a space between paragraphs. Not

"I love you."
"No you don't."

just to make the rest of the story fit together more, presentation wise. Make your character's home country known soon, so readers don't get confused. You can choose to make this have a more romantic-fused ending, but that's just up to you. In the end, this was great. Keep it up.

Honored to do that poem with you,

Esther
It's writing prompt week on my blog a very random pickle!:
http://veryrandompickle.blogspot.com/

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:21 am
View Likes
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Hey again, Suki :) I did your review a while back and saved it, and by that time you've already edited it, so sorry if some of this stuff doesn't add up right x)

Dang it. Deep crimson blood that was almost black rolled down the thumb I held in the air. My brow furrowed as I examined the wound - a small nick I had gotten from ripping off a hangnail. Hangnails irritate me to no end, thus I’ve received countless injuries the same way. It’s weird but – I gazed at the blood, glinting in the glare of the classroom lights, and a flickering smile crossed my face – the blood is kinda pretty. ahaha xD Honestly, I think it’s awesome how you are so original and outgoing. This is such a weird way to start a story, but I like it :D

I think I knew at the time how bizarre I looked, sitting at my desk and staring at the scarlet drop slowly creeping (would crawling sound better?) down my finger. Even if I didn’t, I was promptly reminded with a sharp glare from one of my sorta-friends, followed by hushed whisperings of, “Eh... What’s she doing?” Sigh. Maybe I’m not fit to have a social life.

Lord, I prayed, Thank you for my parents that love me. Thank you that I can live in a comfortable house. I’m so grateful for these things… but… is there something…?

I shut my eyes tight, looking deeply into the cavernous void I felt somewhere in my life. Was it a gap between reality and my own little world? Or was it the hole between me and my peers? I rejected others for excluding me, yet sometimes I couldn’t stand being alone.

This is not to say everyone in my school is a jerk. There are so many kind people, but it seems that I’m the problem. No one can figure me out. No one realizes how I think. Even I sometimes don’t know what’s going to in my head. So I understand what it’s like to be those good people around me. They want to be hospitable to the girl sitting in the corner, yet at the same time if we don’t really click it just doesn’t work. Conversation is forced. It’s the sad truth. This is very easy to connect to; I think a lot of people will be able to get what you’re saying here.

Class was beginning, so I hurriedly shoved the wounded thumb into my mouth and got rid of the blood that way, despite piercing dagger looks from the people around me. My blood always tasted like metal, and I didn’t particularly enjoy the sensation nor hate it. All I knew was that I resented using napkins or paper towels to clean up the mess. Who want wants to have a bloody tissue staring at you all day? Why not just use the natural way? In my mind, every reason pointed toward my method as the most logical.

A boy I hadn’t noticed before stood up roughly from his desk in the back. His longer, spiky hair threw shadows across his eyes and he was wearing a grey sleeveless sweatshirt with an odd pattern on the front. It looked to me like a bird spreading its wings and soaring in front of the sun. The base shape was a red diamond, but from the central image emerged black feather-like, sweeping strokes that portrayed power and swoosh! The design in itself suggested movement. For pants he simply had on very baggy, dark blue jeans. As he walked to the front of the classroom, his posture was very straight, but his head kept looking at the floor.

“I am Taiyo Sato.” Finally lifting his gaze, the black bangs revealed an Asian face that held the promise of a smile, though at the time no emotion showed. awesome description! It tells us a lot about his character, too.

“Not far.” haha xD I like this guy.

“Thank you, Aiko!” His head cocked in the cutest way, like a puppy-dog watching its beloved. I think ‘owner’ would be a better word here.

I honestly don’t have much to say besides…. WOWZERS. O_O I’m not kidding when I say that this one of the best things I’ve read in a while. And I do a lot of reviewing on this site!
Your descriptions are all very spot on, and I feel like I connect to them personally.
My favorite thing about this, and I’m sure a lot of people will agree with me, is your characters. I have always believed that characters are just the heart and soul of a story, and you help prove that point. They are so original, and so fresh, and so funny, and so believable, that I just enjoy every minute of being in your story because it feels like I’m hanging out with them x) I remember reviewing your art of them, and I could easily picture them in my head. I also have to say that your art very accurately showed their personality that I got from this story.
I could definitely see this being a manga, but it also works very effectively as a novel, too. One bit of advice though, if you’re planning on making this story a good length, is to flesh this out a bit more. Spend an extra paragraph here and there describing the school and what she sees, or outside when she’s waiting for Taiyo to get out of detention. Your characters are so quirky that I’m sure you can find something interesting for them to do, whether it’s ripping off another hangnail or staring at a bug on the ceiling xD Small details like that can be added in at the end though, so don’t worry about going back and editing, and focus on cranking out some new chapters because I can’t wait to read more! xD
I read through Ofir’s review, and the comments made throughout were just about EXACTLY what I would’ve said, so consider my opinion seconding theirs!
Keep it up!!! I hope more people can come by and read this, because it certainly deserves attention! :D
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

Hi everyone who clicks on my profile!...Um, not quite sure what else to do here. Yup, definitely new at this! XD
— Magebird