z

Young Writers Society

Remebering Sunday

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:55 pm
wonderland says...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEBrjCasRSQ-That's the song. If you listen, listen all the way through. I used a writing prompt that said to use the first line of a song.

He woke up from dreaming and put on his shoes. He had headache, that much he was sure of. It was hard now, trying to keep the days and nights separate. He was told that a big bottle of bourbon wouldn't help. He did it anyway. Anything to take away the pain, the pain that had plagued him since.

He toyed with his wedding band as he stumbled through the hallway down to his kitchen. It wasn't what he was expecting, as two plates, glasses, one still half full of orange juice stood on the deserted table.

He saw her. She was right here. Her light blonde hair and wide, baby blue eyes. Mary, pretty little Mary, with her knowing wink as she sat at he usual place at the table. He stumbled towards her, still hung-over. His heart was beating faster, and faster, and he wanted to pick her up, kiss her, and take her right up stairs.

He put his hands on the table and opened his mouth to say something. Before his eyes, Mary vanished, once again leaving him alone. He sunk to the tiled kitchen floor and held his head in his hands, destined to be alone forever.
'We will never believe again, kick drum beating in my chest again, oh, we will never believe in anything again, preach electric to a microphone stand.'

*Formerly wickedwonder*

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:17 pm
Stori says...

the pain that had plagued him since.

Since when?

he usual place at the table

That's "her" usual place. I think you manage to tell a very complete story in a few words, which is the idea here.

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:09 pm
silentwords says...

I'll be honest, I read this just because of the song. I absolutely love the song, it's so cute yet sad. </3
Your story was really good as well. It painted a clear picture and went well with the song. My only suggestions are the same two that the other reviewer mentioned. Along with:
He had a headache, that much he was sure of.
You forgot to add in an "a".

Also, I think that you should combine this sentence:
He put his hands on the table and opened his mouth to say something, but before his eyes, Mary vanished, once again leaving him alone.
If you think the sentence is too long then you could stop it at "Mary vanished" and then make your second sentence: "She once again left him alone." Whichever you think sounds better. :)

Also, I'm pretty bad a verb tenses, but I think you need to change:
He saw her. She was right here.
Change "here" to "there".

Overall, I enjoyed it and loved how you based it on that song! :)
I'd like to think I'm creative... instead of just plain weird ;D

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:31 pm
airforcegirl says...

its really good i like it,
wickedwonder wrote:He was told that a big bottle of bourbon wouldn't help. He did it anyway

with this you might want to add a coma instead of a period since it's just a pause
since when? who is mary? why does he seem so upset? what pain? the headache? what happened to mary?
thats about all, really good peice you could defiantly expand it!
Air force!

151 Reviews

Reviews: 151
Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:36 pm
Amfliflier says...

I liked it. It was written from an older perspective from what we're used to seeing on here. The description was good. It was a very short piece, but I feel like it's pretty close, and almost the same to some of the ones I've seen on here. Guy hallucinates about girl, girl vanishes, guy's sad. It just seems forgettable almost.

Honestly, it was good, but you might want to elaborate on it a little more. Sorry if I was harsh, but keep writing! :)
Forever for All <3

MUSIC RULES! :)

Everyday is Earth Day! :D

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:53 pm
theotherone says...

Hello there. :)

His heart was beating faster, and faster, and he wanted to pick her up, kiss her, and take her right upstairs.

Upstairs should be one word.

Okay, so this was short. I need more details. I've listen to the song countless times, since it was my favorite song for a while, and I've imagined the story to be like that. I mean, I wrote a short story about that particular song and posted it on YWS a few weeks ago, and it's nice to know that you have a different perspective on the story behind the song then I have. But, the problem remains that this is really short. And I like details. ;)

What happened to Mary? Does he see her a lot? How many years have he 'waited' for her? I think that if you get a little more details in this, it could help with the storyline and the aparence of cliche. Amplifier was right, and there's something about the story we've already seen numerous times, but like I said, if you give us a little more details on the story, it could be your own.

Great story, and keep writing!

-Other One
Behind every mask, lies a man that can't live in his own skin. - Woe is Me <3
Need a reviewer? I don't bite, I promise. :) ---> viewtopic.php?f=188&t=76466

What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god -- the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals!
— William Shakespeare