z

Young Writers Society

Taylor's Treasures

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:05 am
Kiicoh says...

Some nights I can still imagine her warm touch on my skin, and her sweet, Alabama accented voice whispering into my ear. She was never afraid to show affection. I envy her for that…

Grabbing a lock of my curly black hair, and the sharpest knife in the wooden block on the kitchen counter, I think to myself…

It’s time to get to work.

Stretching my curl out, I raise the knife about a foot’s length up my long chunk of hair, and break through. A voice in the back of my head screams in protest. I’ve spent the past two years growing my hair out…

All that time… Patience… Wasted… At least now you’ve got a fucked up haircut to shape your fucked up face.

Ignoring my subconscious, and not wanting the curl to unravel, I tie a small purple ribbon around it to keep the hair intact, then proceed to drop it into the small, clear, crystal box sitting on the glass table in front of me.

Purple is her favorite color. She’ll appreciate the small details. She always does.

Next, I reach to the glass table for eye drops with a pre-removed lid, and a small glass vile titled “Tears”. I’m too emotionally numb to actually cry, but I figure she won’t know the difference. Squeezing a couple eye drops into the vile, I try to recognize how this will affect her.

Will she cry…? Maybe she’ll smirk and respect my creativity. After all, this art is for her.

I place a small rubber cork into the top of the vile to avoid my fake tears to spill, and replace the lid onto the eye drops, setting the eye drops back onto the glass table, the vile into the crystal box.

Removing my shirt, and grasping the sharp knife in my hand again, I brace myself for the next element in the box. I hold the tip of the knife to my stomach, clench my teeth, and hold my breath as I slowly put more pressure onto the hard plastic knife handle. I want to cut all this ugliness away, but the act is useless at this point. A drop flows out of my skin, and creates a small crimson trail down my abdomen. The uncomfortable sharpness makes me want to squirm, but I push through, and continue applying my strength. As I put more and more pressure, more crimson liquid flows, creating a scarlet stream. Once the knife is deep enough, I cut about an inch wide circle into my “thick” abdomen. I’d like to call myself fat, but I’ve been assured I’m not.

If I’m not fat, how am I cutting these pieces of lard out? Hm? Riddle me that. Bastards.

Once the circle is complete, I use the knife as a lever to tear the lump of fat out, and I place it in the crystal box, along with the other items.

The blood is spilling out now, and the pain hits me, but I have to quickly move on to the next element. I scream, and rip out my still barely vibrating, bloody vocal chords, feeling a flutter of regret-

Or is it relief?

The blood drips from my fingertips to the floor as my neck spurts thick, red-dyed waterfalls, similar to those of which erupted from my wrists so many times before. I close my eyes to shake away the past, but that brings only visions of hospitalized memories. I can still hear the subtle drip from the IV bags. Clearing my mind, the visions disappear, but the drip sound remains. Opening my eyes, with blurred vision, I watch more blood drip from in between my fingers, and splash onto the oak hard-wood floors. I realize that’s where the same sounding subtle drip is coming from. My vocal chords make a splat sound as they fill the remaining room in the small box.

I hope she can see such beauty in my actions.

This pain is different than that of my sliced wrists, or the hole in my stomach, but I’m ignoring that the best I can. I’m on a mission. I can feel my life draining away, but this isn’t how they explain it to be. There’s no white light, no flashes of memories, and no thoughts of grief.

Common, Kei! Keep your head straight. You don’t have much time. Only seconds.

I try to clear my vision, but the waterfalls are gushing too fast, and I’m getting dizzy.

This is it. One more step, and you’ve got it. Just put the lit on, and place the letter on top, then you’re golden. She’ll arrive, and everything will be complete, but for right now, you need to concentrate. CONCENTRATE, Kei.

I clumsily pat around on the table, feeling for the crystal lid for the box, and find it after a few moments. Placing it on top of the box, I wish again, for her to be on time. Now I place the folded letter on top of the box; the letter titled “Taylor”, and notice, what I can see of the room, get darker and darker. I feel myself hit the corner of the glass table on my way down before hitting the wood floor. I’m so far gone that I can’t even feel what should have been a sharp, throbbing pain to the ribs from the corner of the glass table, and now everything’s faded to black. As my mind drifts quickly further into the depths, I can hear the jingle of keys, and the creak of the front door opening.

Good job. You did it.

My consciousness is gone…

Dear Taylor,

You left me for Alabama. I hope your life goes well, and now I know you’ll never forget me. I’ve composed this crystal box of treasures for you to keep, so please take it with you, as well as your other stuff on your return home… I love you.

I give you a lock of my hair, for you admired the curls on my head with such adoration.

I give you my tears in return for all those nights I held you while you wept on my shoulder.

I give you my curse, for you always tried to make me feel attractive, but the weight’s what held me back. “You’re not fat, you’re SOFT,” you’d say. I wish that was so.

I give you my vocals, for you cherished my songful soul.

Xoxo,
Kei.
Last edited by Kiicoh on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
"It was Cinco de Mayo
Pillow case on his head
No more breathing time
An ambulance sped
It sped round every corner
Calling out his name."
"Lemonade"- Cocorosie

Random avatar

Reviews: 33
Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:36 am
MoonlightAssassin says...

Kiicoh,

Wow. Just wow. This was very beautiful - in a gory way. ;)

I love how I could so vividly see what was happening and all that. I really don't have anything to criticise.

The only thing that really pops into my mind is the ending spoiler note. I realize that it is the letter that Kei (I love the name, by the way.) wrote, but I don't think it should be in a spoiler. I'm not exactly sure how you would implament it into the end of the story, but I'm sure you could figure out a way. :)

Keep up the awesome work!

~ Moonlight
Come visit the ReviewIn'!
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic75873.html

lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:37 pm
SmylinG says...

I feel almost speechless... This was absolutely pure, romantic art. :) Although, I kind of do find myself agreeing with the reviewer above me. It was a little gory, but I think that was precisely the factor that gave it its depth.

I felt sad reading his thoughts. Even sadder reading the letter! I thought the girl died, not just moved away. That gave me such a different outlook on the situation. I felt more sorry for Kei. And a little resentful of the girl he loved, because she couldn't realize how much of him she took with her.

Great work here. This was above all unique and interesting. I encourage you to write more romance. You're view on it is so dark but beautiful. Keep it up!
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:55 pm
Nike says...

Hi, I'm Nike, here for reviewing! Right, This is a beautiful peice in a scray and suicidle way. But it is greatly written with amazing detail. I say that this is really the best piece ever written in Romantic Short Stories.

Great job!

Keep Writing!

Nike :)
“There is no need to call me Sir, Professor.”

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:35 am
PatriciaTina says...

Hey there, Kiicoh, and happy review day! I'm Trish, and I'm here to drop off a review on this lovely February weekend... So let's get started, shall we?

Description and Writing Style/Voice

I'd just like to start this off by saying, along with your other reviewers, a heartfelt WOW! This story was amazingly written, and I could almost feel what Kei was feeling. Your description is absolutely beautiful as well as painful, and I absolutely love your word choices. Kei's voice shines through throughout the story, giving it all a perfectly unique style and voice. All I have to say is... GREAT JOB!

Character Development

I pretty much covered this above, so there's nothing really more I have to say about your character development. Great job here as well!

Nit-Picks

So, here's where I will be going through your story and looking for things like grammar mistakes, typos, awkward sentences and the like. I probably won't get everything since I am not perfect, but I'll do my best to get the most important things! So here we go!

Grabbing a lock of my curly black hair, and the sharpest knife in the wooden block on the kitchen counter, I think to myself…

The first comma is unnecessary, since "and" links the two separate clauses.

Ignoring my conscious, and not wanting the curl to unravel, I tie a small purple ribbon around it to keep the hair intact, then proceed to drop it into the small, clear, crystal box sitting on the glass table in front of me.

You ignore your subconscious, not your "conscious". Also, this sentence is a bit awkward and could be reworded and separated into more than one to make sure that it isn't a run-on.

Next, I reach to the glass table for eye drops with a pre-removed lid, and a small glass vile titled “Tears”.

Again, the word "and" eliminates the need for a comma.

I place a small rubber cork into the top of the vile to avoid my fake tears to spill, and replace the lid onto the eye drops, setting the eye drops back onto the glass table, the vile into the crystal box.

This sentence is also quite awkward, especially the bolded part. Maybe try rewording to make your meaning clearer to the reader.

Removing my shirt, and grasping the sharp knife in my hand again, I brace myself for the next element in the box.

Yet another unnecessary comma after "shirt".

Once the knife is deep enough, I cut about an inch wide circle into my “thick” abdomen.

You could maybe reword the beginning of this sentence to make it flow a bit better with the preceding one. Currently it reads a bit choppily.

Clearing my mind, the visions disappear, but the drip sound remains. Opening my eyes, with blurred vision, I watch more blood drip from in between my fingers, and splash onto the oak hard-wood floors. I realize that’s where the same sounding subtle drip is coming from. My vocal chords make a splat sound as they fill the remaining room in the small box.

This could be separated from the other part of the paragraph as a new paragraph. Also, make sure you watch out here as well for issues in the flow between sentences.

That's about all I can really find here to bring attention to, so good job! If you want a really good guide to help you recognize most of the things I mentioned, I'd really recommend picking up the book "A Writer's Reference" by Diana Hacker. It has everything you need to know about writing and more, and I'd recommend it to absolutely anyone who is interested in improving their writing!

Overall

Here we are, at the last part of my review. I'd just like to repeat my aforementioned exclamation of "WOW", and congratulate you on a work well done! I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite how it made me want to cry because of the subject matter. This is by far one of the most moving and well written pieces on here.

I sincerely hope to be able to read more of your writing in the future! You're amazing, I hope you keep writing for the rest of your life and never, ever give up. Great job, Kiicoh! I really hope that this helps! :D
~ Patricia Tina :smt006

Don't look in the spoiler.

Spoiler! :
I lost the game.

"I always hear punch me in the face when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext."
~ Dr. John Watson

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:14 pm
322sivart says...

Wow. I'm here as requested, and thank you for asking me to review this phonomenal piece.
It is truly origional, gory, romantic, and unexplainably vivid. Throughout the story you maintained a good pace and although the story is very short, you were able to pull off showcasing important aspects of your narrator's personality. However, my only criticizm is that if your narrator is assumed to have died at the end of the story, that conflicts with the fact that she is narrating her own death? Do you see what I mean? I don't think this is a vital change, because this is so beautifully written the way it is, but it's just something to look into.
Keep writing!
-Alex
Need reviews?
I'd be happy to give them.
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic76104.html

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:08 pm
emilooguinness says...

what a beautiful heartful story, i love the gore and sadness in it, i love the way he done it for her. someguys dont do alot for there girls, but ovously some do, on of my previous ex sentme into a depression alfter i found him dead, and this brought back the painful and happy memories thank you <3

Every time someone steps up and says who they are, the world becomes a better, more interesting place.
— Captain Raymond Holt