z

Young Writers Society

The sky was a dirty color of gray.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:06 am
onceuponatim3xo says...

I wrote this as an exercise from a book called: The 3 A.M. Epiphany. (I actually wrote it at 3am too) :) Rules were that it had to be 600 words, first person, and I could only use two personal pronouns in the entire thing (I/my). Let me know what you think!

The sky was a dirty color of gray on this gloomy day. The bench that I was sitting on dripped quietly from last night’s rain. Small tufts of pale green grass were sprouting from the sloppy mud on the ground. The mud was bordered by a grid of cement pavement. Not too far of a distance away, standing on the pavement, was a couple.
The woman was short and thin with brown curls framing her face. She wore a bright red coat, greatly contrasting the dark black of her partner’s. He was a gruff man of about twenty-six perhaps, she around the same. He had a dark beard to match his attire, and thick meaty hands. The woman seemed oddly delicate next to the great man. The two stood a few feet apart from each other, as if there were some barrier between them.
They were speaking in hushed yet rapid tones that were barely discernable. The man spoke animatedly, his arms flailing about every few seconds. The woman kept her own hands in her pockets, as though she were trying to hug herself. Her watery eyes glistened in the dim light of the day, she looked as if she were about to burst into tears.
“I just don’t understand how you could be such an idiot!” The man screamed at her, seemingly giving up on violently whispering.
She, however, kept silent. It were as though she was afraid of this man, only a few inches taller than herself. He however, weighed at least a hundred pounds more than she did. Her coat clung to her small frame. There was a sense of innocence and beauty to her, marred by the shadow cast by her partner.
At her silence, the round face of the man began to color into a darker shade, resembling a plum, and with that he sent the back of one of his enormous hands to meet her rosy cheek. She whimpered, but still said nothing.
“How can you be pregnant, Elaine? How?” His hands then reached up to pull at his own hair. “We haven’t seen each other in months. I’ve been in prison since April!”
She began to lose it, tears and mascara streaming down her face.
“Baby, I thought you loved me,” he began to pout. It was an odd sight, such a large man beginning to tear up. “You were all I had.”
They both stood there for a while, wallowing in their sadness. Until the sound of a car honking at another car on the street a distance away snapped the man out of it. He quickly returned to his anger, grabbing both of her shoulders in a death grip, “I can’t believe you. I trusted you.”
Finally, in a watery voice, she spoke. “I-I’m sorry.”
“I loved you.” His eyes stared into her own. They stood like that for what seemed like hours, his piercing eyes staring into her kind, sad eyes.
“I love you,” she said, wiping away a tear, only to be replaced by another.
He let go of her shoulders with a push, “I don’t love you anymore, Elaine.” Then, with a turn, he walked down the cement pavement to its end, opening an iron gate to the street.
With that, she fell to the ground, crumpled in dismay. Holding her stomach, she pulled herself into the fetal position. Crying violently, she whispered “I’m sorry” in between gasps and sobs. After a few minutes, she noticed that she was not alone. She sat upright, running her hands through her hair multiple times, rubbing her stomach. Then, slowly, she hobbled over to the soaked bench and sat beside me, coughing at the smoke of a just recently put out cigarette.
Last edited by onceuponatim3xo on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
-Buddha

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:48 am
View Likes
Rune says...

You certainly have a lot of conflict this makes it a good piece, I could see it happening after the first few words. But your writing is limited by the 600 words limit, the characters are underdevelopped and there are certain inconsistencies.

There are no indications prior to that that she is sad. So far you have described her stiffly, there is nothing in the way she carries herself so this is a bit sudden.

“I loved you.” His eyes stared into her own. They stood like that for what seemed like hours, his piercing eyes staring into her kind, sad eyes.

Again there is nothing about her that would show her eyes to be kind.

She, however, stayed silent. It was as though she was afraid of this man, only a few inches taller than herself. He however, weighed at least a hundred pounds more than she did. In comparison, she very well could have been an easily snapped twig in his midst.

Although I get what you mean, it was confusing to read, try editing this passage.

At her silence, the face of the man began to color into a dark shade of fuchsia

Fuchsia is an odd colour to go when stressed or embarrassed, try maroon or puce (the HP books are long behind us so it's not cliché).

This piece has potential, take that word limit off and look at some of the things like the character development.

Keep Writing :) and PM me if you need anything (reply times vary)
Splenig Metsackes Ink.
Flowing Scribble

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:51 am
theotherone says...

Hello there. :)

The woman was short and thin with brown curls framing her face. She wore a bright red coat, greatly contrasting the dark black of her partner’s. He was a gruff man of about twenty-six perhaps, she looked around the same. He had a dark beard to match his attire, and thick meaty hands. The woman seemed oddly delicate next to the great man. The two stood a few feet apart from each other, as if there were some barrier between them.
They were speaking in hushed yet rapid tones that were barely discernible. The man spoke animatedly, his arms flailing about every few seconds.

This part here is a little bit choppy. It's not that you have a lot of period when you could have used commas, but the feel of it just seems to intense. It's just a description after all. It seems rushed and the flow seems off. You might want to combine some of the sentences together or rephrase them slightly.

Overall, I think it was okay. I like the idea of the narrator being outside of the story, since it's not something we see that much. You did a good job. :)

-Other One
Behind every mask, lies a man that can't live in his own skin. - Woe is Me <3
Need a reviewer? I don't bite, I promise. :) ---> viewtopic.php?f=188&t=76466

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:40 pm
ofir says...

Hi there! This exercise is harder than it looks, isn't it? Good job!
I'm here to review :) My comments will be in red and the parts that I am commenting on in blue!

The sky was a dirty color of gray on this gloomy day. The bench that I was sitting on dripped quietly from last night’s rain. Small tufts of pale green grass were sprouting from the sloppy mud on the ground. The mud was bordered by a grid of cement pavement. Just wanted to comment on the great descriptions! Not too far of a distance away, standing on the pavement, was a couple.
The woman was short and thin with brown curls framing her face. She wore a bright red coat, greatly contrasting the dark black of her partner’s. Again, I love the conflict in the colors of their coats and I love the way you described the woman, really made me picture herHe was a gruff man of about twenty-six perhaps, she around the same. He had a dark beard to match his attire, and thick meaty hands. The woman seemed oddly delicate next to the great man. The two stood a few feet apart from each other, as if there were some barrier between them.Great way to show conflict.
They were speaking in hushed yet rapid tones that were barely discernable. The man spoke animatedly, his arms flailing about every few seconds. The woman kept her own hands in her pockets, as though she were trying to hug herself. Her watery eyes glistened in the dim light of the day, she looked as if she were about to burst into tears.
“I just don’t understand how you could be such an idiot!” The man screamed at her, seemingly giving up on violently whispering.
She, however, kept silent. It were as though she was afraid of this man, only a few inches taller than herself. He however, weighed at least a hundred pounds more than she did. Her coat clung to her small frame. There was a sense of innocence and beauty to her, marred by the shadow cast by her partner.
At her silence, the round face of the man began to color into a darker shade, resembling a plum, and with that he sent the back of one of his enormous hands to meet her rosy cheek. She whimpered, but still said nothing.I felt as though I just wanted to hear more about her reaction - though that's just me
“How can you be pregnant, Elaine? How?” His hands then reached up to pull at his own hair. “We haven’t seen each other in months. I’ve been in prison since April!”
“Baby, I thought you loved me,” he began to pout. It was an odd sight, such a large man beginning to tear up. “You were all I had.”
They both stood there for a while, wallowing in their sadness. Until the sound of a car honking at another car on the street a distance away snapped the man out of it. He quickly returned to his anger, grabbing both of her shoulders in a death grip, “I can’t believe you. I trusted you.”So, few comments 'bout this part: A, I think his anger should build slower. One second he's sad, tearing up - pouting even - and then he just changes? Maybe a description about his expression would help, if you'd still like to keep the change in emotion sudden? B, The dialogue here is a bit troublesome. The man's mad, right? Shouldn't he stutter, or explode with wild accusations? The 'I trusted you' seems too... calm.
Finally, in a watery voice, she spoke. “I-I’m sorry.”
“I love you,” she said, wiping away a tear, only to be replaced by another.
He let go of her shoulders with a push, “I don’t love you anymore, Elaine.” Then, with a turn, he walked down the cement pavement to its end, opening an iron gate to the street.
With that, she fell to the ground, crumpled in dismay. Holding her stomach, she pulled herself into the fetal position. Crying violently, she whispered “I’m sorry” in between gasps and sobs. After a few minutes, she noticed that she was not alone. She sat upright, running her hands through her hair multiple times, rubbing her stomach. Then, slowly, she hobbled over to the soaked bench and sat beside me,Love it! coughing at the smoke of a just recently put out cigaretteI don't like the idea of the cigarette. If your MC was smoking it, it makes us [the readers] feel farther away from him\her, as if we're not even sure of his actions. Is it a symbol of some form? If it is, then great, but as of now, it feels a bit out of place....

Alright!
All in all, very nice piece! It was probably difficult :) I loved the descriptions! You did great with them!
Good job!
Ofir
"if you were waiting for the opportune moment... that was it." - Captain Jack Sparrow

we were just chatting about oblivious bananas
— Inferno