z

Young Writers Society

There's Something About Jerry

Random avatar

Reviews: 125
Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:10 am
SASSYLADY333 says...

Part Three cont.
I bust out the school doors with a sigh of relief, walking out into the sunny day onto the sizzling sidewalk. Everyone around me headed to the light on Beat avenue that turned into Craig street. I love Craig street it runs all the way up and down town. If there’s somewhere you need to go, all you have to do is find this street. On Craig street you could get to the mall, the park, and of course school.

I was dying from my classmates clustering me with their idle conversation. I hurried down Beat as the light changed, and turned onto Craig. I was alone on the sidewalk and it felt good to walk in some silence.

I could see my shadow playing on the sidewalk and I noticed it had company. I stop because I recognize the shadow. The shadow paused as soon as I did. I turn to see Jerry on the side walk staring at me.

“Hello Cordelia, going to the park are we?”

“What are you--” I was flustered at this point, and I was confused.

“Following you, maybe. Couldn’t hold it against me could you? Seeing as how you’ve been following me.” He didn‘t look angry, he said matter-of-factly, almost like an adult.

“I’ve never followed you!” I blurted out.

“Yes you have, that day in the book store. And then I notice how you were around in the park that day.”

“ Well duh it’s a small town, of course I’m around a lot. And I’ve never followed you, that day we were headed the same way.” I had a hard time even convincing myself because it did sound a bit odd.

Jerry laughed, and I was mortified, I didn’t understand his approach at all.

“ I was only teasing you. A little ice breaker before I had to tell you.”

“Tell me what?”

“I’ve been following you, so maybe you shouldn’t flatter yourself.”

My eyes nearly fell out their sockets as he confessed this. “ Why would you follow me?”

Jerry smiled, “ I have a good reason.”

I took a couple steps back from him, “ Wait , what possible reason could you have?”

“ Well you could call it a crush…until now of course. Until I knew you were the one we‘re looking for.”

“ Man you really are…something. Is this the part where you take out your knife for your cults sacrifice?”

Jerry laughed, “ And you really are funny.”

I started to walk away from him at that moment. Because he was handsome but he wasn’t that handsome.

` “ Hey, don’t walk away from me. I’m not a stalker…well not the kind you think.”

He walked bristly to my side as I put more speed into my pace. I didn’t want to run, because it’s a little ridiculous to run from a person who is obviously not in their right mind. And it wasn’t suitable in my winter boots and coat, talk about a fast way to fall straight on my face. Besides he knew exactly were I was going.

“Not the kind I think? Look Jerry why don’t you go home and take your pills. Because obviously you need them by the hour.”

“ Ah, that’s fresh.” he said as we came to the intersection of Henry street right across from the park. “ I’ll just walk with you and we can sit down and talk.”

I looked at him, and he seemed …not in his right mind. “Fine then Jerry, but just so you know I’ve got Pepper Spray and a pair of exceptionally long sharp nails.”

Jerry just smiled in reply as we walked across the street into the park. He followed me until I had sat down on my favorite bench over looking the lake that extended into the woods. The sun hung in the sky and hadn’t yet began to set.

“ Is this the part where I die? Or is this the part were you tell me a meticulous lie?”

“ Your not going to die while I’m around. And I’ll tell you a little story about a conspiracy.”

“ A conspiracy?” I ask, I looked at him , “ So an extremely meticulous lie it is.”

“ Remember when you wrote that referral in the office that day?”

“Yes, for being inappropriate to your teacher.”

“ I’m sure you’ve heard why--”

“ Yeah Mr. Dolly was talking about that bombing down in Oajanda city last year. And I heard you tried to punch him.”

“ I did punch him.” I looked at him in shock.

“But why? Why did you get so mad?”

“ I was living in Oajanda city that day when it was bombed.”

Random avatar

Reviews: 125
Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:13 am
SASSYLADY333 says...

Okay so here it is. This is the post, I will go back do some editing and decide where to take this.

So please point out any grammar errors or anything that doesn't make sense here. :)
"Show us, don't tell us!" They say, but sadly I realize I'm a storyteller. When I cross over and accept maturity, when I want to change then maybe I'll be willing to show people my prose and not tell them. As a writer I have to grow. :)

I love her dearly, but I can’t live with her for a day without feeling my whole life is wasting away.
— Miss Kenton, The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro